15’ CRF250R. What to look/listen/check for?

Alec138
Wanting to go back to a 4t for woods and maybe even some harescrambles next season. I want a newer bike as my next bike to ride due to me being screwed over on so many older model bikes over the years. I an not brand loyal but I have found loads of 14-15’s CRF250s for around 4k or so that look to be in great shape.

I have not owned a Honda in years nor even ridden any new ones so it is basically all new to me.

I want to go check out some in my area and surrounding. I know to look for obvious things such as cracks in the motor, bent/cracked frames, bent wheels, bad bearings, etc.

What about these new hondas though? Any common major issues? Problems that might occur? I want to know it all...

If you guys think I need anymore info, comment below!

Thanks.
|
9/8/2018 11:13am
I have a 2016 with 90 hours and it’s great. I love riding it and it’s had pretty much zero issues.

The biggest downfall is the air forks. I don’t know how well they work in the woods. On tracks, it’s very “ehh”. It’s honestly different every time you ride it.

Overall, it’s been a great bike for me.
9/8/2018 11:53am
They have no bottom end, and thats what you need for woods riding. I had to build that engine with a stroker and a stage 1 cam to help the lack of bottom, and my rider who is a pro level test rider for Vital seems to be happy with it now, and said it was a night and day difference.
KTM 300 I feel would be the best choice
Alec138
9/8/2018 12:00pm
I have a 2016 with 90 hours and it’s great. I love riding it and it’s had pretty much zero issues. The biggest downfall is the...
I have a 2016 with 90 hours and it’s great. I love riding it and it’s had pretty much zero issues.

The biggest downfall is the air forks. I don’t know how well they work in the woods. On tracks, it’s very “ehh”. It’s honestly different every time you ride it.

Overall, it’s been a great bike for me.
Heard the Showa forks are not great. I am a pretty good solid rider but I doubt without being a pro I would notice them being too harsh. How are they if you get them set up for weights and such? I run about 220. 225 with all gear, hydropack.
Alec138
9/8/2018 12:03pm
They have no bottom end, and thats what you need for woods riding. I had to build that engine with a stroker and a stage 1...
They have no bottom end, and thats what you need for woods riding. I had to build that engine with a stroker and a stage 1 cam to help the lack of bottom, and my rider who is a pro level test rider for Vital seems to be happy with it now, and said it was a night and day difference.
KTM 300 I feel would be the best choice
We ride more flowy, tight trails. Nothing really technical as in rock gardens and such. I would love to get a KTM 350 but the way it is looking people want arm and leg for anything KTM thats even decently nice. I know there are deals out there but I cant wait months to ride...

The Shop

Naanak
9/8/2018 5:20pm
I would definitely get a 14 just for the forks if you could find a mint one. Mine had 140ish hours when I sold it and I only did a top end at 60 and rebuild at 120. Never had any issues. I also did a cam and ecu with fmf single and the motor was pretty good. Not a Yz250f but still great.
MikeID
9/8/2018 6:05pm Edited Date/Time 9/8/2018 7:39pm
I had a 15 and loved it for off-road. When I first got it, I chased settings on the forks, then learned to just first set the air pressure as recommended by the manual, then turn clickers, and balance the front and rear. Once I got it set up, it was money.

Power was great—very controllable. I am a short-shifter and went up one on the c/s. I did use the soft mapping in the snow and mud, otherwise the standard mapping. Handling was awesome on the trails. Very controllable and nimble in the twisties.

I think the bike has great longevity, especially if you keep the oil fresh and the air filter clean.

Really the only thing I would have liked is a w/r or 6 speed gearbox for open two track, but for trails it was fine.

For offroad, be sure to get a skidplate and radiator guards/braces.

Post a reply to: 15’ CRF250R. What to look/listen/check for?

The Latest