13 kx450 vs 13honda 450

sharkey
Edited Date/Time 9/26/2013 11:17pm
what do you guys like about your bikes. I sold my 450 got on a 250 for awhile and I realize It was a mistake. torn between these two bikes, I was riding a 12 Honda 450 though before
|
NP301
8/11/2013 4:44pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2013 4:46pm
sharkey wrote:
what do you guys like about your bikes. I sold my 450 got on a 250 for awhile and I realize It was a mistake. torn...
what do you guys like about your bikes. I sold my 450 got on a 250 for awhile and I realize It was a mistake. torn between these two bikes, I was riding a 12 Honda 450 though before
The biggest differences are the Kx is faster and more stable...While the honda turns better and is more twitchy.
mxb2
8/11/2013 6:34pm
sharkey wrote:
what do you guys like about your bikes. I sold my 450 got on a 250 for awhile and I realize It was a mistake. torn...
I have a loaded 12 kawy I mite sell if you interested ,Wgoske@yahoo.com for pics and more info. Bike is mint and loaded as said before kawy is stronger and really good. The crf is a little more mellow and easier to ride. And I have a loaded 12 crf,Kxf and 13 Rmz all great bikes
CC268
Fantasy
3552nd
8/11/2013 7:15pm
It is hard to go wrong either way...I rode the 13 Honda and it is a great bike. The Kawis have great performance and overall good everywhere...but they don't seem to hold up very well (a lot of Pro test riders have mentioned this in the shootouts as well). I have owned Kawis, my friend has owned Kawis, and a lot of kids I raced with own Kawis....they all seem to agree that the Kawis just don't have the fit and finish and durability that Honda and Yamaha have. I have seen so many issues with Kawis that I don't know that I would buy another until they can get the durability up. Still one of the best if not the best bikes out there, but they do seem to require more maintenance. My 2010 Honda CRF250 has been a damn beast and has held up to a lot of abuse...my last Kawi didn't. Lets just say I have a lot of horror stories about Kawi! Not trying to bash them, like I said they are great bikes.

That is my two cents...
kiwifan
8/11/2013 8:27pm
No doubt Kawasaki has the best motor (in terms of outright HP), Honda has best reliability and useability (not everyone can ride a 450 to its fullest). Both are pretty even suspension wise but Kawasaki can feel a bit heavy compared to the Honda in the air and in corners. I would say what is your dealer support like and of course which one YOU feel comfortable to go fast on.

The Shop

8/12/2013 6:55am
ive owned a few kx450s n agree they do have a great motor.BUT, I wont buy one again until they take care of their reliability issues.the ive ridden the Honda 13 450, its not bad def not as fast as akaw, but a lot more reliable. I bought a 13 ktm 450sxf, and I think its the best handeling, reliable 450 ive owned to date. and electric start should be on every 450 period. love the bike.
DustinB333
8/12/2013 7:38am
I was just doing this same comparision and I picked the Honda. Rode the Kawi and I thought it felt heavy with a very slow turning front end that wanted to push some. Also the bikes background has been head gasket issues and othe motor issues that i dont want to deal with and if you dont wash the bike today the bare aluminium parts turn corrosive.(looks like shit in weeks)

The Honda, turns great, feels super light wieght, great rear wheel traction and looks great (plastics hold up well, frame with a little scotchbrite pad looks new again.. The bad news its slow.. I have put a dual procircuit exhaust and Tokyomods did the map and still the bike is real flat doesnt pull as hard as i would like but i would way rather have a slow motor then one that breaks all the time..

Honda for sure..
Daystar99
8/12/2013 9:19am
DustinB333 wrote:
I was just doing this same comparision and I picked the Honda. Rode the Kawi and I thought it felt heavy with a very slow turning...
I was just doing this same comparision and I picked the Honda. Rode the Kawi and I thought it felt heavy with a very slow turning front end that wanted to push some. Also the bikes background has been head gasket issues and othe motor issues that i dont want to deal with and if you dont wash the bike today the bare aluminium parts turn corrosive.(looks like shit in weeks)

The Honda, turns great, feels super light wieght, great rear wheel traction and looks great (plastics hold up well, frame with a little scotchbrite pad looks new again.. The bad news its slow.. I have put a dual procircuit exhaust and Tokyomods did the map and still the bike is real flat doesnt pull as hard as i would like but i would way rather have a slow motor then one that breaks all the time..

Honda for sure..
^^This^^ - I couldn't have said it better
TeamGreen
8/12/2013 12:21pm
Funny.

Take the Best Qualities of BOTH bikes & you get an RMZ.
Huckster
8/12/2013 1:10pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Funny.

that funny and true but it feels about 20lbs heavier than the CRF
8/12/2013 1:37pm
I just bought a 13 KX and I love it. I rode my buddy's CRF and I wasnt the biggest fan of it, it had really sensitive stearing but wasnt as slow as everyone seems to make it out to be. The KX has the best engine ever, second gear will get you over anything. In terms of fit and finish, Ive had 4 YZ's before it, and the fit and finish is just about as good. I think if you maintain your bikes properly you wont run into any troubles like other people have faced.
JB 19
8/12/2013 2:12pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Funny.

Ride the bike every weekend for 2 seasons and then compare the Honda to the Suzuki.
mxer613
8/12/2013 3:08pm
I picked up a new 13 kx450, (coming off an 09 rmz450) and wow, the kx feels lighter,turns just as good, and half throttle feels like full throttle on the zook. I've got a friend with a 13 Honda,10 hours,gas in crankcase, they all have issues. Honda, your gonna spend a grand just to match the kawi.
8/12/2013 3:13pm
I sold bikes for 9 years & got to ride everything , I will only ever own Green. My 13 is unreal. Loved my 12 but the 13 power is smooth. With the right suspension & t clamps it turns awesome. Honda has a super smooth motor. Perfect for the average Old Cat like me. Deff down on power compared to the Kawi. I think 4+hp ?? the deals on Kawi's are awesome !! depending where you live they are giving away lots of goodies plus $1000 incentive. Pro Circuit exhaust , fork pump , grafix
Other areas its a canopy , stand , mat etc.
might be more in diff areas. Both great bikes 4 sure.
Slow450
8/12/2013 3:36pm
3/5 of my most recent bikes have been Kawi's. A 2006 KX250F, a 2011 KX450F and now a 2013 KX250F. Not sure where the reliability issue statements are coming from. I had no catastrophic failures on any. I did have a YZ250F that grenaded and several two strokes that required "unexpected" maintenance. I'm not fast, but I did race all of those bikes and experienced that staying generally on track with OEM recommended service left me with a bike that always ran and I was happy with performance wise.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
8/12/2013 4:06pm
It's a lot easier and cheaper to make the Honda fast than it is to make the Kawi lose 20 pounds.
nytsmaC
8/12/2013 5:09pm
FGR01 wrote:
It's a lot easier and cheaper to make the Honda fast than it is to make the Kawi lose 20 pounds.
Exactly. And the Honda is just built better. Both are good bikes and the Kawi may be the better performer out of the box but I'd rather own the Honda.
kiwifan
8/12/2013 6:30pm
FGR01 wrote:
nytsmaC wrote:
Exactly. And the Honda is just built better. Both are good bikes and the Kawi may be the better performer out of the box but I'd...
Exactly. And the Honda is just built better. Both are good bikes and the Kawi may be the better performer out of the box but I'd rather own the Honda.
^^ this ....most riders will go faster on the Honda compared to the Kawasaki.

Most magazines place emphasis on peak HP that 90% of riders will never use in anger because they lack the skills to race them using the full HP...except Vital riders of course. :-)
sharkey
8/12/2013 7:15pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Funny.

I thought the rmz was great but the front end was real twitchy and nervous. great motor for sure
sharkey
8/12/2013 7:26pm
I loved my Honda 450 felt super light and even though the motor was tame compared to the other bikes I felt like I could ride it a lot more aggressive. then one day I rode a buddies 250 Honda and loved it. even lighter and corner better. I bought this super modded 250 and its fast as hell but after ive ridden it for awhile its nice to just go to the track and not have the bike pinned all the time. then those days when the track is tilled deep or its wet too you just wish you had the torque to accelerate thru that crap. I see why the 250 can keep up with the 450s on certain track because you stay on the gas a lot longer and brake later. the 450 has so much enertia that you tend to let off sooner .but I miss the 450. I have a buddy with a mint 13 kx that will give me a great deal; bike only has 17 hrs full yosh exhaust and a ton of other stuff. I just don't want to be to impulsive and wish I bought the Honda a few months down the road like I did with this 250. id love to keep the 250 and get a 450 but cant afford that.
gyd58
8/12/2013 7:28pm
FGR01 wrote:
nytsmaC wrote:
Exactly. And the Honda is just built better. Both are good bikes and the Kawi may be the better performer out of the box but I'd...
kiwifan wrote:
^^ this ....most riders will go faster on the Honda compared to the Kawasaki. Most magazines place emphasis on peak HP that 90% of riders will...

Most magazines place emphasis on peak HP that 90% of riders will never use in anger because they lack the skills to race them using the full HP...except Vital riders of course. :-)
The Honda has a really flat torque curve which makes it easier to ride fast and easier to ride for long motos. The Honda also responds really well to head work. Just have a good motor builder port the head and remap it and it will be way faster than than you will need. All for less than the price of a pipe.
kiwifan
8/12/2013 8:28pm
nytsmaC wrote:
kiwifan wrote:
^^ this ....most riders will go faster on the Honda compared to the Kawasaki. Most magazines place emphasis on peak HP that 90% of riders will...

gyd58 wrote:
The Honda has a really flat torque curve which makes it easier to ride fast and easier to ride for long motos. The Honda also responds...
The Honda has a really flat torque curve which makes it easier to ride fast and easier to ride for long motos. The Honda also responds really well to head work. Just have a good motor builder port the head and remap it and it will be way faster than than you will need. All for less than the price of a pipe.
I agree with you 100% :-)
Jaz_83
8/15/2013 8:32am
Pretty sure I am going with the Honda, it's the cheapest of all the 450's available here. I agree in regards to a more linear torque curve being easier to ride. I've had 2 450r's and 3 450x's in the past, was just weighing up my options. My last 450r was a 2010, with pro circuit t4 full system it was more than enough power. I may just leave the engine stock on this one and get the suspension set up correctly.
sozo
8/15/2013 8:55am
mxer613 wrote:
I picked up a new 13 kx450, (coming off an 09 rmz450) and wow, the kx feels lighter,turns just as good, and half throttle feels like...
I picked up a new 13 kx450, (coming off an 09 rmz450) and wow, the kx feels lighter,turns just as good, and half throttle feels like full throttle on the zook. I've got a friend with a 13 Honda,10 hours,gas in crankcase, they all have issues. Honda, your gonna spend a grand just to match the kawi.
My bud too... its the injector, you have to kick the bike past TDC
Trent179
8/15/2013 10:02am
I picked up a 13 kxf 450 yesterday for $6400. Brand new, hoping to go try it out tonight.
DustinB333
9/24/2013 11:37am
Hey Honda guys I have Procircuit dual complete Ti/Carbon exhaust for 2013 2014 Honda 450 for sale maybe 4 hours of use and extra packing . $850 obo

mxb2
9/24/2013 11:44am
DustinB333 wrote:
Hey Honda guys I have Procircuit dual complete Ti/Carbon exhaust for 2013 2014 Honda 450 for sale maybe 4 hours of use and extra packing...
Hey Honda guys I have Procircuit dual complete Ti/Carbon exhaust for 2013 2014 Honda 450 for sale maybe 4 hours of use and extra packing . $850 obo

Looks sick, why you selling? How does it compare to stock? Did you have to remap, how does the power and sound compare to stock?
Presley155
9/24/2013 11:55am
Having ridden all three, 13' CRF, 13' KXF, and 13' RMZ I would rank them like this; I would take the CRF first. It's light, compact, and handles well. Ditch the stupid dual muffler setup and drop another 2 lbs off of it. The KXF has a great motor, but it is tall, long, and feels like a much larger bike. The RMZ turns great but is a porker. It does not run as well as the KXF, but I thought the CRF was comparable to it. The CRF I rode did have a single slip on and was mapped. The RMZ had the Yosh exhaust. Between the RMZ and KXF I would choose the one that was the best deal. If one was 1000 bucks cheaper than the other that's the way I would go. Money being equal I would go Honda, Kawi, Zook.
mxb2
9/24/2013 12:12pm
Presley155 wrote:
Having ridden all three, 13' CRF, 13' KXF, and 13' RMZ I would rank them like this; I would take the CRF first. It's light, compact...
Having ridden all three, 13' CRF, 13' KXF, and 13' RMZ I would rank them like this; I would take the CRF first. It's light, compact, and handles well. Ditch the stupid dual muffler setup and drop another 2 lbs off of it. The KXF has a great motor, but it is tall, long, and feels like a much larger bike. The RMZ turns great but is a porker. It does not run as well as the KXF, but I thought the CRF was comparable to it. The CRF I rode did have a single slip on and was mapped. The RMZ had the Yosh exhaust. Between the RMZ and KXF I would choose the one that was the best deal. If one was 1000 bucks cheaper than the other that's the way I would go. Money being equal I would go Honda, Kawi, Zook.
Good info thanks, I have ridden all the 13 s , except the crf.

Post a reply to: 13 kx450 vs 13honda 450

The Latest