13+ pages and yet nobody has asked this simple question...

Sore Loser
Edited Date/Time 8/17/2022 12:58pm
Since the other thread is basically a "shit all over Yamaha and the Deegans" love fest, I figured a new thread might be warranted for the 2 or 3 of us that arent looking for an excuse to be pissed off or shit on the Deegans. Maybe a pause for some critical thinking and basic questions before drawing any conclusions.

How do we know Brennan is telling the truth?

I'll give him this, he's articulate, and his way of telling his account of what went down comes across as extremely credible. It's how I'd expect someone to tell the truth IF they were telling the truth.

But we havent heard the other side's version of events. And most importantly, Brennan never says how he knew Yamaha Corp was pressuring his sponsor. He clearly states in the interview at around the 17:30 mark what he assumes was the food chain of events. But he never specifically says how he knows this. And the interviewer (Tyler) never asks for clarification.

That to me is a significant moment in the interview. Because if the kid is just ASSUMING his dealership was being pressured, that is a big red flag and it calls into question the rest of his account of the events.

Another thing I find odd, he plays the innocent victim here very well. Never mentions for a moment that he and Haiden have personal beef with each other. He "just wanted to see what it was like to ride a factory bike". Really? That's ALL there is to this story? Now dont get me wrong, Brennan does not have to justify the why. The claim of the bike was within the rules - and the rule is a good one. The bottom line, dont want your unobtanium bike claimed, DONT BRING ONE TO AN AMATEUR RACE. But before I wholesale believe EVERY detail of your story, I want to know all the details. And a significant one is that these two groups have history. This was more than just "wanting to see what a factory bike felt like". Is that relevant to the claiming rule? No, not at all. But it is relevant to the credibility of this Brennan kid. So before I jump on his bandwagon and take everything as gospel, I pause and wonder why certain details are being left out.

If the Deegans are the new Alessis, lets not forget that the Alessis drama didnt exist in a vacuum. He had his rivals and those rivals werent saints either. Other equally overzealous mini dads. And plenty of ankle biting that fueled all the bullshit that went on between all parties involved.

I think it's only fair these questions are asked. Because when I talk to people "in the know" they're telling a very different version of all of this. For example:

- The engine builder fronted the cash for the claim
- Tim Cotter only interviewed Brennan AFTER the claim was rescinded and did so to make sure he wasnt being pressured by Yamaha
- I've heard some say that Brian Deegan never actually cornered the kid

Are any of those statements factual? Of course not. All Im saying is that if you can get past the mob mentality, there's actually another version of the story floating around that severely contradicts what a 17 year old kid is claiming.

I for one think that if indeed that kid was talked to privately by Cotter, Deegan, or anyone NOT the AMA, a SERIOUS line was crossed because again, he's a kid. But to be consistent, I also know that KIDS LIE all the time. So if you're not an adult, you dont get the benefit of the doubt like an adult either.

|
SX_336
8/13/2022 12:04pm Edited Date/Time 8/13/2022 12:09pm
Here’s the short answer. There is something that you’re obviously not getting.

He claimed the bike. He paid the claim fee. He doesn’t have the bike. This in and of itself tells you that everything he said is true. If it wasn’t, he’s be in Canada racing said bike this weekend.

Obviously a complete shit show between Yamaha, Deegan, MX Sports personnel and Matt Walker transpired. If it hadn’t Deegan wouldn’t still have his bike. It would be in Canada where it should be.
8/13/2022 12:09pm Edited Date/Time 8/13/2022 12:10pm
It doesn't matter if his engine builder fronted the cash. It could have very well been all of Derek's cash, or a portion of it i.e. "let's split it 50/50".

But both the source of the cash and his motivation for doing it are completely irrelevant. The rule states that if you hand over the cash to the AMA to claim the bike then the bike is yours.
yak651
Fantasy
214th
8/13/2022 12:10pm
Please point to the clause in the rules where you can’t claim the bike if you have beef with the rider or you receive financial assistance. The only truth we know for sure is he posted a receipt for putting up the cash and never received the bike.
three9zero
8/13/2022 12:10pm
Sore Loser wrote:
Since the other thread is basically a "shit all over Yamaha and the Deegans" love fest, I figured a new thread might be warranted for the...
Since the other thread is basically a "shit all over Yamaha and the Deegans" love fest, I figured a new thread might be warranted for the 2 or 3 of us that arent looking for an excuse to be pissed off or shit on the Deegans. Maybe a pause for some critical thinking and basic questions before drawing any conclusions.

I'll give him this, he's articulate, and his way of telling his account of what went down comes across as extremely credible. It's how I'd expect someone to tell the truth IF they were telling the truth.

But we havent heard the other side's version of events. And most importantly, Brennan never says how he knew Yamaha Corp was pressuring his sponsor. He clearly states in the interview at around the 17:30 mark what he assumes was the food chain of events. But he never specifically says how he knows this. And the interviewer (Tyler) never asks for clarification.

That to me is a significant moment in the interview. Because if the kid is just ASSUMING his dealership was being pressured, that is a big red flag and it calls into question the rest of his account of the events.

Another thing I find odd, he plays the innocent victim here very well. Never mentions for a moment that he and Haiden have personal beef with each other. He "just wanted to see what it was like to ride a factory bike". Really? That's ALL there is to this story? Now dont get me wrong, Brennan does not have to justify the why. The claim of the bike was within the rules - and the rule is a good one. The bottom line, dont want your unobtanium bike claimed, DONT BRING ONE TO AN AMATEUR RACE. But before I wholesale believe EVERY detail of your story, I want to know all the details. And a significant one is that these two groups have history. This was more than just "wanting to see what a factory bike felt like". Is that relevant to the claiming rule? No, not at all. But it is relevant to the credibility of this Brennan kid. So before I jump on his bandwagon and take everything as gospel, I pause and wonder why certain details are being left out.

If the Deegans are the new Alessis, lets not forget that the Alessis drama didnt exist in a vacuum. He had his rivals and those rivals werent saints either. Other equally overzealous mini dads. And plenty of ankle biting that fueled all the bullshit that went on between all parties involved.

I think it's only fair these questions are asked. Because when I talk to people "in the know" they're telling a very different version of all of this. For example:

- Tim Cotter only interviewed Brennan AFTER the claim was rescinded and did so to make sure he wasnt being pressured by Yamaha

Are any of those statements factual? Of course not. All Im saying is that if you can get past the mob mentality, there's actually another version of the story floating around that severely contradicts what a 17 year old kid is claiming.

I for one think that if indeed that kid was talked to privately by Cotter, Deegan, or anyone NOT the AMA, a SERIOUS line was crossed because again, he's a kid. But to be consistent, I also know that KIDS LIE all the time. So if you're not an adult, you dont get the benefit of the doubt like an adult either.

Adults lie just as much, perhaps more than kids..........

The Shop

APLMAN99
8/13/2022 12:13pm
Sore Loser wrote:
Since the other thread is basically a "shit all over Yamaha and the Deegans" love fest, I figured a new thread might be warranted for the...

Hi Brian!!!!!!
Sore Loser
8/13/2022 12:13pm
SX_336 wrote:
Here’s the short answer. There is something that you’re obviously not getting. He claimed the bike. He paid the claim fee. He doesn’t have the bike...

He claimed the bike. He paid the claim fee. He doesn’t have the bike. This in and of itself tells you that everything he said is true. If it wasn’t, he’s be in Canada racing said bike this weekend.

Obviously a complete shit show between Yamaha, Deegan, MX Sports personnel and Matt Walker transpired. If it hadn’t Deegan wouldn’t still have his bike. It would be in Canada where it should be.
You didnt answer my question nor does the fact that he doesnt have the bike give his story absolute credibility.

Yes he was within his rights to claim the bike.
Yes he should have been allowed to claim it without any issue.

But we dont know why he dropped the claim. Only his version of why. Which directly contradicts other people's accounts of the events.

Some have said this was a stunt that his engine builder put him up too. And yes his main sponsor (the dealership) talked him out of it.

Does that mean Yamaha got involved? No. It could just means that the dealership gave the kid some sage advice and said knock it off, you dont need this sort of drama. But it also means this kid is lying about a LOT. Yet somehow y'all are taking it all as absolute fact.

Does it look good that Brian Deegan took down his video explaining some of his version? Not a good look at all for his credibility either. Which is why Im sitting here reserving judgement.

Im not saying I know what went down. Im withholding judgement until a few things are cleared up.

If you've already made up your mind based on the version of a 17 year old kid, without hearing the other side, this thread aint for you.
Sore Loser
8/13/2022 12:14pm
It doesn't matter if his engine builder fronted the cash. It could have very well been all of Derek's cash, or a portion of it i.e...
It doesn't matter if his engine builder fronted the cash. It could have very well been all of Derek's cash, or a portion of it i.e. "let's split it 50/50".

But both the source of the cash and his motivation for doing it are completely irrelevant. The rule states that if you hand over the cash to the AMA to claim the bike then the bike is yours.
It's relevant because if the kid is lying about the source of the cash, his credibility is shot.
Sore Loser
8/13/2022 12:18pm
yak651 wrote:
Please point to the clause in the rules where you can’t claim the bike if you have beef with the rider or you receive financial assistance...
Please point to the clause in the rules where you can’t claim the bike if you have beef with the rider or you receive financial assistance. The only truth we know for sure is he posted a receipt for putting up the cash and never received the bike.
Please point to where I said that the kid was in any way in the wrong in his claim. I specifically said he doesnt have to justify the claim.

Im calling into question his credibility tho if he's lying about anything in his version of the story. Is that not fair?

Y'all would make some interesting jurors in court. Just hear one side of a minor and boom, guilty, lock the defendant up, throw away the key.

If Yamaha pressured the dealership, it's TOTAL BULLSHIT AND HEADS SHOULD ROLL. But again, how do we know that actually happened? Does Brennan actually know that happened or is it conjecture? It's a very relevant question to be asking.
mcopsey
8/13/2022 12:19pm
My question is where was the kid's dad the whole time? His dad wasn't with him when he claimed the bike and he was just driving around LL with $17k? His dad wasn't with him when he had this conversation with Deegan and Cotter?
Tiki
Fantasy
1670th
8/13/2022 12:25pm
SX_336 wrote:
Here’s the short answer. There is something that you’re obviously not getting. He claimed the bike. He paid the claim fee. He doesn’t have the bike...

Moreover he was Honest about doing it. He read the rule, took advantage of the situation and expressed why.

Along with your answer SX, it makes Yamaha and Star Racing look horrible. Brian Deegan; anyone that follows him he speaks about being Christian and being a Better Family Man, intimidating this kid makes him look bad. Its hypocrisy.
Him getting involved just makes the shit stick to him.

I am disappointed.

MX Sports - they were a shit show from the beginning.
plowboy
8/13/2022 12:25pm
It doesn't matter if his engine builder fronted the cash. It could have very well been all of Derek's cash, or a portion of it i.e...

Sore Loser wrote:
It's relevant because if the kid is lying about the source of the cash, his credibility is shot.
The very BOTTOM line is that a legal claim was made. The AMA recognised the claim. Someone or others allowed this kid to be "talked" into dropping his claim. I (we) don't really know much more than that.

Imo...that's enough to to present the "appearance of impropriety".

I've always said, "if you won't tell me the truth...I'll make up a lie".

This is a shit show. So many bad decisions by grown men in positions of influence and power.
Sore Loser
8/13/2022 12:26pm
mcopsey wrote:
My question is where was the kid's dad the whole time? His dad wasn't with him when he claimed the bike and he was just driving...
My question is where was the kid's dad the whole time? His dad wasn't with him when he claimed the bike and he was just driving around LL with $17k? His dad wasn't with him when he had this conversation with Deegan and Cotter?
Yep. A red flag in this story to me as well.
8/13/2022 12:28pm
mcopsey wrote:
My question is where was the kid's dad the whole time? His dad wasn't with him when he claimed the bike and he was just driving...
My only thought as to why his Dad might have not been with him would be for the optics...meaning it was part of the plan to show the boy is claiming the bike by himself (for himself with his own money) rather than showing up with his Dad and engine builder
Sore Loser
8/13/2022 12:32pm

Sore Loser wrote:
plowboy wrote:
The very BOTTOM line is that a legal claim was made. The AMA recognised the claim. Someone or others allowed this kid to be "talked" into...
The very BOTTOM line is that a legal claim was made. The AMA recognised the claim. Someone or others allowed this kid to be "talked" into dropping his claim. I (we) don't really know much more than that.

This is a shit show. So many bad decisions by grown men in positions of influence and power.
Your bottom line I have no problem with. But Im asking, how do we know it was the dealership that talked the kid out of it. How do we know the motives of the dealership to talk the kid out of it?

The fact is, we dont. Yet all sorts of conclusions are being drawn. The kid Brennan himself doesnt even explain how he knows that Yamaha Corp is pressuring his dealer. He doesnt ever clarify if it was his dealer that directly asked him to drop the claim.

Go listen. It's the one part of that whole video where Brennan goes from being VERY direct and clear in his explanation to things getting a bit murky. He talks about the food chain of events as if it is conjecture.

Everyone in this sport knows that claiming is taboo. For all we know his sponsor, on their own behalf, said "dont do this kid - it's a bad look" and the kid took the advice. That means Yamaha never got involved. And it means that no wrong was committed. Because it's totally within the boundaries of decency for a sponsor to talk a kid out of a potential mistake.

Now do I think the claim itself was a mistake? Fuck no. I like the rule and understand why it's needed. But what goes on between a rider and his sponsor is there business and no reason for me to condemn MX Sports, Cotter, Deegan, Yamaha or anyone else. Not yet at least. Not until I know this Brennan kid is telling the absolute truth, cause if he's not, HOW IS THAT NOT RELEVANT HERE?!?
Tiki
Fantasy
1670th
8/13/2022 12:34pm
mcopsey wrote:
My only thought as to why his Dad might have not been with him would be for the optics...meaning it was part of the plan to...
My only thought as to why his Dad might have not been with him would be for the optics...meaning it was part of the plan to show the boy is claiming the bike by himself (for himself with his own money) rather than showing up with his Dad and engine builder
He said in the interview, Dad told him, 'you want it, you earn it.' I would have told the kid to go up and claim it as well. All part of the lesson. Now when shit went sideways, I would have gotten involved, like Dad did.

The initial claim, its a rule. There should have been zero reason for a second voice in the matter. The fact MX Sports came back with multiple voices is very concerning. The protection of Star Yamaha is nothing short of politics.

It makes them look very, very guilty of Cheating.
LoudLove
8/13/2022 12:34pm Edited Date/Time 8/13/2022 12:35pm
Obviously companies like Yamaha, Star, and MX Sports require more time to assess the situation and issue a rebuttal than Brennan. He has very little liability if his version of the situation differs from actual events. However. without audio/ video documentation or witnesses, it could end up a “he said, he said” situation.

In any case, the ball is in Cotter and Deegan’s court. If they deny having a 30 minute, closed door conversation with Brennan, then we have two diametrically opposed viewpoints. Brian’s history is littered with intimidation, especially when pressured, which is why many believe Brennan’s story. The idea that Yamaha stepped in and threatened a dealer seems remote, especially with the facts still pouring in. However, it still does not absolve Yamaha/Donnie from directly interfering with the claim.

It’s unclear if Yamaha, Star, or MX Sports will release a formal response. It’s probably in their best interest to not attack Brennen, his dad, or mechanic, and simply say there was a misunderstanding and perhaps toss Brennen some high-dollar swag. Otherwise, they’re going down a rabbit hole with no end.
Tiki
Fantasy
1670th
8/13/2022 12:36pm
Sore Loser wrote:
plowboy wrote:
The very BOTTOM line is that a legal claim was made. The AMA recognised the claim. Someone or others allowed this kid to be "talked" into...

Sore Loser wrote:
Your bottom line I have no problem with. But Im asking, how do we know it was the dealership that talked the kid out of it...
Your bottom line I have no problem with. But Im asking, how do we know it was the dealership that talked the kid out of it. How do we know the motives of the dealership to talk the kid out of it?

The fact is, we dont. Yet all sorts of conclusions are being drawn. The kid Brennan himself doesnt even explain how he knows that Yamaha Corp is pressuring his dealer. He doesnt ever clarify if it was his dealer that directly asked him to drop the claim.

Go listen. It's the one part of that whole video where Brennan goes from being VERY direct and clear in his explanation to things getting a bit murky. He talks about the food chain of events as if it is conjecture.

Everyone in this sport knows that claiming is taboo. For all we know his sponsor, on their own behalf, said "dont do this kid - it's a bad look" and the kid took the advice. That means Yamaha never got involved. And it means that no wrong was committed. Because it's totally within the boundaries of decency for a sponsor to talk a kid out of a potential mistake.

Now do I think the claim itself was a mistake? Fuck no. I like the rule and understand why it's needed. But what goes on between a rider and his sponsor is there business and no reason for me to condemn MX Sports, Cotter, Deegan, Yamaha or anyone else. Not yet at least. Not until I know this Brennan kid is telling the absolute truth, cause if he's not, HOW IS THAT NOT RELEVANT HERE?!?
Claiming is Taboo? Only of you are sucking the tit of sponsors. Otherwise, it keeps the field honest. This is why MX has lost grass roots and sucks ass today.

The sport needs help. If you cant race on a showroom stock bike, this is a problem. Bikes are costing $10K

Maybe more rules should be evaluated?
ttusomeone
8/13/2022 12:36pm
yak651 wrote:
Please point to the clause in the rules where you can’t claim the bike if you have beef with the rider or you receive financial assistance...
Sore Loser wrote:
Please point to where I said that the kid was in any way in the wrong in his claim. I specifically said he doesnt have to...
Please point to where I said that the kid was in any way in the wrong in his claim. I specifically said he doesnt have to justify the claim.

Im calling into question his credibility tho if he's lying about anything in his version of the story. Is that not fair?

Y'all would make some interesting jurors in court. Just hear one side of a minor and boom, guilty, lock the defendant up, throw away the key.

If Yamaha pressured the dealership, it's TOTAL BULLSHIT AND HEADS SHOULD ROLL. But again, how do we know that actually happened? Does Brennan actually know that happened or is it conjecture? It's a very relevant question to be asking.
All we know for sure is that he made a claim and then later withdrew it. The reasons for withdrawing it come down to what one side is saying and a lot of people speculating. It's also interesting to me that this kid is, in my opinion, more famous for making the claim and then withdrawing it than he would have been if the claim had went through. We would have all forgotten about the claim by now if he had the bike. He's getting a lot more PR this route. In this YouTube age, this angle also at least needs to be considered.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
8/13/2022 12:36pm Edited Date/Time 8/13/2022 2:12pm
DC and the rest of the MXsports goofs don't have much credibility left so I will give the kid the benefit of the doubt over Brian Deegan a admitted cheater, Tim Cotter and DC who always has the same answer when the shit hits the fan. ( I wasn't aware or involved with the situation) He always seems to be in the dark and that's his excuse, just read his version on RacerX , hell i'm embarrassed for him. Blush
Donkey Kong
8/13/2022 12:38pm
mcopsey wrote:
17k ain't nothin to a baller
8/13/2022 12:40pm
Member since today? Definitely not Yamaha/Deegan PR going into damage control, right? lol

Who gives a fuck where his parents were, HE (a minor) was apparently cornered and pressured by adults to drop the purchase of a bike that he had the right to claim, because Star/Yamaha decided to be fucking idiots and run factory parts in a race where the bike was eligible to be claimed.
Donkey Kong
8/13/2022 12:42pm Edited Date/Time 8/13/2022 12:42pm
Brian don't bring a pro bike to an amateur race where there's a claim rule stop shit posing and take the L
JRT812
8/13/2022 12:49pm

Forgive me ignorance….why is it allowed for anyone to fork up the money when claiming a bike and then the bike owner is forced to hand over the bike? What if the bike owner didn’t want give it away?
Tiki
Fantasy
1670th
8/13/2022 12:52pm

JRT812 wrote:
Forgive me ignorance….why is it allowed for anyone to fork up the money when claiming a bike and then the bike owner is forced to hand...
Forgive me ignorance….why is it allowed for anyone to fork up the money when claiming a bike and then the bike owner is forced to hand over the bike? What if the bike owner didn’t want give it away?
It stops people for building high dollar performance bikes for the national event. Claiming has been a rule in Most All racing. It keeps people honest. From Horse racing, Car Racing to MX.

If you came with a stock bike and minimal work done to it. A claim should not be an issue.
8/13/2022 12:53pm Edited Date/Time 8/13/2022 12:53pm

JRT812 wrote:
Forgive me ignorance….why is it allowed for anyone to fork up the money when claiming a bike and then the bike owner is forced to hand...
The source of cash could never be proven unless there was a forensic audit performed and someone was stupid enough to write a check or use a traceable method of transferring the money to the kid. But no one will ever be able to prove where the cash came from if it was handed over by the engine builder or not.
8/13/2022 12:59pm

JRT812 wrote:
Because that’s the rules of the competition.

If you don’t agree to abide by the rules of the competition, don’t enter.
aees
8/13/2022 1:01pm
Sore Loser wrote:
plowboy wrote:

Sore Loser wrote:
Your bottom line I have no problem with. But Im asking, how do we know it was the dealership that talked the kid out of it...

You dont have a lot of life experience, do you?

Always someone who tries to find a string of "what if" to get a whole case thrown out of it.

It's obvious what happend after the claim was made. The reason why he claimed the bike or got his cash or any other detail is completely irrelevant anymore.

It's the way this was handled by everyone on the event and Yamaha side that makes it a complete cluster fuck.

Just delete this thread please.

Post a reply to: 13+ pages and yet nobody has asked this simple question...

The Latest