125 vs 250f

Halaburda120
Edited Date/Time 1/7/2019 6:16am
How much more does a 125 teach you than a 250f? I am curious for my next purchase.
|
JWACK
12/15/2018 11:02am
A considerable amount.
jeffro503
12/15/2018 11:09am
You're talking about two completely different bikes here. A 125 is in a class by itself , no matter what the professional rules state. A 250 2 stroke is what should be compared to a 250F. A 125 has significantly less power , and all the trait's of of a slower bike......which anyone can draw their own conclusion's , as to why that would help you.

Reason's I ride one , and what the 125 has helped me on....
1.) corner speed.
2.) forcing you to use alternate lines on the track.
3.) Re-teaching me all about how important "momentum" is.
4.) Re-teaching me how to be and stay aggressive on a bike.
5.) Teaching me how to be as precise as possible on throttle / brake controls so I don't lose speed. ( You can't point and shoot a 125 worth a shit ) like you can a 250 2 stroke , 250F and a 450F.

Total different riding experience , and quite frankly....the best damn training tool a dude could have. I will say , that in my almost 2 years back on 125's ( after 30 years being off them ) , it's helped me in everything I mentioned above. And I'll always have a 125 in my stable because of it.

Halaburda120
12/15/2018 11:25am
jeffro503 wrote:
You're talking about two completely different bikes here. A 125 is in a class by itself , no matter what the professional rules state. A 250...
You're talking about two completely different bikes here. A 125 is in a class by itself , no matter what the professional rules state. A 250 2 stroke is what should be compared to a 250F. A 125 has significantly less power , and all the trait's of of a slower bike......which anyone can draw their own conclusion's , as to why that would help you.

1.) corner speed.
5.) Teaching me how to be as precise as possible on throttle / brake controls so I don't lose speed. ( You can't point and shoot a 125 worth a shit ) like you can a 250 2 stroke , 250F and a 450F.

Total different riding experience , and quite frankly....the best damn training tool a dude could have. I will say , that in my almost 2 years back on 125's ( after 30 years being off them ) , it's helped me in everything I mentioned above. And I'll always have a 125 in my stable because of it.

You just answered all of my questions. Thank you!
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
12/15/2018 12:00pm
jeffro503 wrote:
You're talking about two completely different bikes here. A 125 is in a class by itself , no matter what the professional rules state. A 250...

1.) corner speed.

+1

The Shop

jeffro503
12/15/2018 12:09pm
jeffro503 wrote:

1.) corner speed.

You just answered all of my questions. Thank you!
You're welcome , and hope it steer's you in the right direction of what you may be looking for in a bike.
12/15/2018 12:29pm
Nothing better than a 125, been on one since 97.. tried 250 2/4 always preferred old faithful Smile
downard254
12/15/2018 1:03pm
jeffro503 wrote:

1.) corner speed.

You missed one thing Jeffro, a Big Fat Smile!Smile

jeffro503
12/15/2018 1:20pm
jeffro503 wrote:

1.) corner speed.

downard254 wrote:
You missed one thing Jeffro, a Big Fat Smile!Smile

Haha.....yes i did. If anything , that is the most important thing about riding these little bikes. My face hurts more than my body does after riding mine. Like perma-grin the whole time. Laughing
BR8ES
12/15/2018 3:30pm
A 250f may be the perfect powerplant and motorcycle, but nothing cooler than a 125 being ridden right. A screaming 125 is the epitome of MX in my opinion.
UPSman334
12/15/2018 4:23pm
A 125 just can’t compete it with 250fs now. a 250f vs a 250 smoker the 250 2 stroke has more power but is harder to ride than the 250f
Halaburda120
12/15/2018 4:44pm
jeffro503 wrote:

1.) corner speed.

Here is my problem. My parents don’t have enough money to buy me bikes but they have enough to help with parts and take me racing. In the beginning of the 2018 season I wasn’t racing. My parents would take me to the local track every now and then to practice. At that time I was riding a 2002 yz125. I wasn’t the slowest kid on the track. But I wasn’t as fast as the decent C riders. In July I sold my 125 and made enough money from my summer job to buy a a blown up 2014 Crf250r. My dad helped me rebuild it and I was tickled that I finnaly had a 250f. In a few weeks after if was fixed I went to Gary semics for a training class because my parents felt it was needed and I agreed. In September I decided I wanna try racing. I went to a local race and raced the beginner class and won. There was only 6 people including me. I’m 15, 5’9” and 140 pounds. I’m scared to take on a gate of 40 in the 250 c class. Money is hard for me to come by and I have 1500 saved right now and my 250. I love the 250 but from what I am hearing it is not teaching me the proper skills. Should I sell the 250 and buy a 125 or stick to the 250 for when I hit my next growth spurt?
BR8ES
12/15/2018 4:46pm Edited Date/Time 12/15/2018 4:48pm
jeffro503 wrote:

1.) corner speed.

Here is my problem. My parents don’t have enough money to buy me bikes but they have enough to help with parts and take me racing...
Here is my problem. My parents don’t have enough money to buy me bikes but they have enough to help with parts and take me racing. In the beginning of the 2018 season I wasn’t racing. My parents would take me to the local track every now and then to practice. At that time I was riding a 2002 yz125. I wasn’t the slowest kid on the track. But I wasn’t as fast as the decent C riders. In July I sold my 125 and made enough money from my summer job to buy a a blown up 2014 Crf250r. My dad helped me rebuild it and I was tickled that I finnaly had a 250f. In a few weeks after if was fixed I went to Gary semics for a training class because my parents felt it was needed and I agreed. In September I decided I wanna try racing. I went to a local race and raced the beginner class and won. There was only 6 people including me. I’m 15, 5’9” and 140 pounds. I’m scared to take on a gate of 40 in the 250 c class. Money is hard for me to come by and I have 1500 saved right now and my 250. I love the 250 but from what I am hearing it is not teaching me the proper skills. Should I sell the 250 and buy a 125 or stick to the 250 for when I hit my next growth spurt?
keep the 250f, ride what ya got, lucky to have the support of your folks. Plenty of other guys scared to shit on the gate too, just head down and hammer it when the gate drops. Stay humble and ride on.
Halaburda120
12/15/2018 4:50pm
jeffro503 wrote:

1.) corner speed.

Here is my problem. My parents don’t have enough money to buy me bikes but they have enough to help with parts and take me racing...
BR8ES wrote:
keep the 250f, ride what ya got, lucky to have the support of your folks. Plenty of other guys scared to shit on the gate too...
keep the 250f, ride what ya got, lucky to have the support of your folks. Plenty of other guys scared to shit on the gate too, just head down and hammer it when the gate drops. Stay humble and ride on.
I’ve talked to them and they said that if I sell the 250 and save my money they would help me get a clean possibly even new 125. That may be what I decide to do.
BR8ES
12/15/2018 4:54pm Edited Date/Time 12/15/2018 4:55pm
BR8ES wrote:
keep the 250f, ride what ya got, lucky to have the support of your folks. Plenty of other guys scared to shit on the gate too...
I’ve talked to them and they said that if I sell the 250 and save my money they would help me get a clean possibly even...
I’ve talked to them and they said that if I sell the 250 and save my money they would help me get a clean possibly even new 125. That may be what I decide to do.
you have a great bike now, trust me. Don't get too wrapped up in the 125 thing, if you were close to me, you could run mine. Anyway, just keep your bike tight and focus on fundamentals. Other bikes will come eventually. Just get to the track.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
12/15/2018 5:01pm
BR8ES wrote:
I’ve talked to them and they said that if I sell the 250 and save my money they would help me get a clean possibly even...
BR8ES wrote:
you have a great bike now, trust me. Don't get too wrapped up in the 125 thing, if you were close to me, you could run...
you have a great bike now, trust me. Don't get too wrapped up in the 125 thing, if you were close to me, you could run mine. Anyway, just keep your bike tight and focus on fundamentals. Other bikes will come eventually. Just get to the track.
I agree with BR8ES, the 125 isn't a magical tool that is going to transform your riding. Yes it teaches you some things, but as you are starting out the 250 will give you the chance to make clean corners, work on jump skills and be comfortable on the track.

125 teaches you great things, but they are not easy to ride. I feel you might take a step back as a beginner learning to ride a 125, learning to make great turns, learning the correct body position more then anything.
chump6784
12/15/2018 5:05pm
To get the most out of a 250f you need to ride it like a 125 anyway. Yes, you can be more lazy on a 250f than a 125 but you still need to ring it's neck to get the most out of it.
If I was in your position I would stick with the 250f and start working out and build some strength to overcome the heavier weight of the 250f.
Also people like to say how cheap 2 strokes are to run. A piston and rings is fairly cheap but you do them twice as often as a 250f. With you being able to do your own engine work I would think you would find the 250f either the same cost to run or cheaper than the 125 unless you blow it up, then the parts add up
jeffro503
12/15/2018 5:42pm
BR8ES wrote:
you have a great bike now, trust me. Don't get too wrapped up in the 125 thing, if you were close to me, you could run...
I agree with BR8ES, the 125 isn't a magical tool that is going to transform your riding. Yes it teaches you some things, but as you...
I agree with BR8ES, the 125 isn't a magical tool that is going to transform your riding. Yes it teaches you some things, but as you are starting out the 250 will give you the chance to make clean corners, work on jump skills and be comfortable on the track.

125 teaches you great things, but they are not easy to ride. I feel you might take a step back as a beginner learning to ride a 125, learning to make great turns, learning the correct body position more then anything.
I agree with all what the guy's said above me. I think the 125 is definitely the best " training tool " on planet earth , but having a 250F , with the plans to race?.....Keep the 250F. It will help teach you the fundemental's as well , and you have to wring those thing's out pretty far as well. pretty aggressive at all times , but enough power to get a little lazy with that extra power / torque.

Believe it or not......it's hard for me to explain here I guess. But I try and do almost all my practice on my 125 , but picked up a new TC 250 to actually race this next year. I will race my 125 in " 125 classes " , but when I'm lined up with 250F's , 350F's and 450F's.....kinda like bring a knife to a gun fight. It's by far my most fun bike , and best training tool type bike......but I would rather race my TC 250 once I get some things set up for myself.

My opinion is.....keep that 250F and practice on that. If you can afford to get an older 125 later down the road , then I think that would be a great training tool for you , and will do nothing but help you ride that 250F faster and better.
CG118
12/15/2018 7:09pm
Keep it. You are a great size for a 250F. Your skills will improve with seat time. Ride, ride, ride, ride, ride......
Pirate421
12/15/2018 7:16pm
If you are comfortable power wise and advancing in your skills I wouldn’t rule out a 250 2 stroke. Can still ride in 250 class and maintenance and upkeep and purchase price will be a bit cheaper than another 250f. Plenty of tricks to tone down a 250 2t too.
drt410
12/15/2018 7:55pm Edited Date/Time 12/15/2018 8:03pm
Heres a great article. To get 50hp on a yz250 was like $1300 and he bought an old beater yz. To get 50hp on a new yz250f took $7000 additional dollars on top of the cost of a brand new yzf...

This is why the equal displacement rule is great in amateur racing, it allows you to be competitive for cheap. The 250 2 stroke is now equal to a 250f 4 stroke, same weight too but more torque from the 2 stroke. So if 2 strokes were brought back 450 2 strokes (smaller 500) would have to be created to compete against 450f’s as 250’s do not anymore.

125’s are great because theyre now a middle ground between supermini’s and 250f’s. Theyre a great step up from a supermini without all the weight and power of a 250f. Ask James Stewart if you can go fast on them too.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/motocrossactionmag.com/amp/bikes-yz250-two-stroke-vs-yz250f-four-stroke/
mimafia
Fantasy
2682nd
12/16/2018 6:33am Edited Date/Time 12/16/2018 6:34am
I'd stick with the 250f for now. Keep your $1500 for other expenses or keep saving. You can ride the 250f somewhat similar to a 125 too. Work on corner technique and speed, and keeping up momentum. Don't coast into corners - use those brakes! That alone will have you running with the faster C riders.

125's are fun though!
12/16/2018 6:56am Edited Date/Time 12/16/2018 7:13am
My 15 yr old son and I (56) both ride 125's and I sold my '16 KX250F after buying my RM 134. Neither one of us are serious racers, though. We're both just fun racers and practice day riders, therefore we ride what's fun and 125's are all that. I "race" my RM in the 50+ class and have no delusions of winning anything- I just try to beat ONE 450F and I'm happy enough. Smile

Thing is, I'm faster on the RM- based on racing against son on his KX125- than I was on the KX250F and I think that's just because I drive harder into corners and trust the bike more. I just never could get used to the top-heavy feel of a 4-stroke and the additional inertia of the things. BUT... if I were gonna be a Real Racer? Well, then, I guess I'd practice more and "righter" until I got it down because that's the way things are.

Actually, son got a '19 KTM 150 SX a few weeks ago and I think my days of keeping up with him are OVER.

To get to your actual question, though.... if you're gonna RACE, you'll have to ride what's competitive and a 125 isn't. Therefore, you need to learn to ride the 250F. To do that, you MAY find that cross-training on different bikes is helpful... a 125 can teach you certain things, a 250 2S will teach you certain things, a 450F will teach you certain things, trail riding a KDX-type bike will teach you certain things, and a trials bike will definitely teach you certain things. Obviously, you can't afford all of these but you will be competing against dudes who CAN, so you've got some work cut out for you. In the end, though, all of it has to distill down to the bike you are racing on and that's a 250F right now.

I see that you have two basic choices: 1) keep the 250F and learn to ride it the way it should be ridden. This is gonna cost a lot of $$$ in keeping top ends up, tires in good shape, etc, 2) abandon the dream and ride for fun. Then you can ride whatever you want.
JFerry
12/16/2018 7:57am
I´ve got a RM250. I love it...........the first 2 laps. I will be 53 next week. I am considering jumping into a 450. Cruising mode. But I cannot wait my kid makes the jump from the 85 to the 125. For the weekend warrior, the 125 is fun and way less demanding than my 250 two strokes. Life without a two strokes is not the same.
Johnny Ringo
12/16/2018 8:18am
It teaches you to be slow and accept defeat. It also teaches you humility.
BR8ES
12/16/2018 10:02am
When you are by yourself it sure makes ya feel like a hero and when you do pass a guy on a 250f or 450(vet classes) then it is pretty sweet, even if it for 19th place. Funny post tho Johnny, chuckled.
acres951
12/16/2018 10:19am
I’m not a 450 guy, pretty against them really, but if I was young again and strapped for cash they are cheap to buy used and nobody can really ride them hard so they’re not too beat.
They would allow you to get max hours/seat time for lowest cost I think.
125’s you’re changing rings and pistons pretty frequently and 250f’s are way too costly if they do go wrong and you’re riding three hard so chances are higher.
Just my thoughts
Johnny Ringo
12/16/2018 10:39am
BR8ES wrote:
When you are by yourself it sure makes ya feel like a hero and when you do pass a guy on a 250f or 450(vet classes)...
When you are by yourself it sure makes ya feel like a hero and when you do pass a guy on a 250f or 450(vet classes) then it is pretty sweet, even if it for 19th place. Funny post tho Johnny, chuckled.
Oh, for sure. you feel like James Stewart when you’re by yourself. Not so much on a vet gate filled with 450s though haha
newmann
12/16/2018 10:55am
BR8ES wrote:
When you are by yourself it sure makes ya feel like a hero and when you do pass a guy on a 250f or 450(vet classes)...
Oh, for sure. you feel like James Stewart when you’re by yourself. Not so much on a vet gate filled with 450s though haha
It teaches you to handle getting roosted by a pack of 450s off the gate. That shit hurts!
Halaburda120
1/6/2019 12:30pm
BR8ES wrote:
I agree with BR8ES, the 125 isn't a magical tool that is going to transform your riding. Yes it teaches you some things, but as you...

jeffro503 wrote:
I agree with all what the guy's said above me. I think the 125 is definitely the best " training tool " on planet earth...
I agree with all what the guy's said above me. I think the 125 is definitely the best " training tool " on planet earth , but having a 250F , with the plans to race?.....Keep the 250F. It will help teach you the fundemental's as well , and you have to wring those thing's out pretty far as well. pretty aggressive at all times , but enough power to get a little lazy with that extra power / torque.

Believe it or not......it's hard for me to explain here I guess. But I try and do almost all my practice on my 125 , but picked up a new TC 250 to actually race this next year. I will race my 125 in " 125 classes " , but when I'm lined up with 250F's , 350F's and 450F's.....kinda like bring a knife to a gun fight. It's by far my most fun bike , and best training tool type bike......but I would rather race my TC 250 once I get some things set up for myself.

My opinion is.....keep that 250F and practice on that. If you can afford to get an older 125 later down the road , then I think that would be a great training tool for you , and will do nothing but help you ride that 250F faster and better.
I bought a 2005 yz125 blown up for 600. These bikes are very popular around me and I started to fix it up to flip it. The more I work on it the bike is decent. I was wondering If I should keep it. I am not fully finished with it yet. When I am done it will be fully rebuilt. The stem, linkage and swing arm bearings are all tight. The bike is gonna need things such as new wheels, brakes, sprockets, etc. I am really considering selling my 250f and this 125 to get a 16+ Ktm 125 and racing it in 125 classes so my skills develop more. Now that I’m in this situation I’m so far only invested 1300 into the yz. Should I fix the yz keep both the yz and my 250? Or should I sell them both and get a 16+ Ktm 125 or 150? I was personally thinking maybe sell them both, get the Ktm I want, race it for like 2 years in the 125 classes then when I’m 17 sell it, have a steady job and buy a new 250. What’s your thoughts? I can’t make up my mind.

Post a reply to: 125 vs 250f

The Latest