125 Championship

Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
Edited Date/Time 5/13/2019 3:07am
Since the 125's are going to be at every round, I'm thinking that there should be some kind of award for the overall series champion. Just brainstorming, but maybe the "2019 VitalMx 125 Motocross Champion" or something like that. Get RMATV, Maxima, Bell Helmets, etc. to come up some prizes and with a lot of luck the AMA will see fit to bring back the class as a legit national championship.

Ideas?
|
5/9/2019 5:00pm
I would be surprised if any rider does 5 rounds. It’s a heavy commitment for something that isn’t a farm/development series, and there will be no untapped talent hitting these races.

With that being said it would be cool to see KTM hky and yam offer a spot under the trailer to any of their am team talent.
ledger
5/9/2019 6:32pm Edited Date/Time 5/9/2019 8:38pm
Heck of a good idea...We Vitards should hit the Like Switch on Matt's post.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
5/9/2019 6:33pm
Good idea , like Mathes did with the privateer deal that 722 won
Imo Mathes is the only one that could get that going
Especially on short notice.

The Shop

Maestro
5/9/2019 7:22pm Edited Date/Time 5/9/2019 7:23pm
If there’s a race at every national this year, couldn’t the guy that ends up winning be called the 125 National Champion?

If you call it a national championship I reckon that’d get the factories to put some resources behind it.

Oh, it’s be cool to see some TM’s, Beta’s etc out there.
mxb2
5/9/2019 8:34pm
Why not have vitals 2 stroke fans donate each round to the winner?
jeffro503
5/9/2019 10:44pm
Since the 125's are going to be at every round, I'm thinking that there should be some kind of award for the overall series champion. Just...
Since the 125's are going to be at every round, I'm thinking that there should be some kind of award for the overall series champion. Just brainstorming, but maybe the "2019 VitalMx 125 Motocross Champion" or something like that. Get RMATV, Maxima, Bell Helmets, etc. to come up some prizes and with a lot of luck the AMA will see fit to bring back the class as a legit national championship.

Ideas?
I think it's a great idea Matt. I am wondering if the AMA will actually score points for the rider's and actually calculate them at the end of the series? Even if a rider does 5 rounds ( like Crutcher said ) , he could still be considered a champion at the end of the series.

What shocks me is the pure ignorance on this side of the pond for this class. A lot of dudes on here think it's a joke , and mean while in the MXGP scene , it's extremely serious and there is a champion crowned in the end. It is a great "start " having it at all 12 rounds , BUT.....it isn't televised and as far as we know there is no champion to be crowned at the end.

Why do the manufactures back that class big time in the MXGP's........but they won't back it here? Or maybe they don't back it because they see no series to actually back? Anyone think of that? Get a series......get backing!!
Boomslang
Fantasy
725th
5/9/2019 10:50pm
Since the 125's are going to be at every round, I'm thinking that there should be some kind of award for the overall series champion. Just...

Ideas?
If they are going to be at every round then it is onky fitting to award a Championship to the rider with the most points.

However, I don't think it would sit well with Honda, Kawa and SUSZUKI.
FI2T
5/10/2019 12:09am
I'll donate for a kick ass vital 2 stroke trophy and toss some money for a purse! Keeping track of points might be difficult based on how last year went. If gold was actually golden maybe we'd have coverage as well!

Redbull, KTM, Yamaha etc.... somebody needs to help this series!!!!
mxb2
5/10/2019 12:41am
FI2T wrote:
I'll donate for a kick ass vital 2 stroke trophy and toss some money for a purse! Keeping track of points might be difficult based on...
I'll donate for a kick ass vital 2 stroke trophy and toss some money for a purse! Keeping track of points might be difficult based on how last year went. If gold was actually golden maybe we'd have coverage as well!

Donate 3k a round pretty sure they will.show up. Where are the 2 stroke guys?
5/10/2019 1:10am Edited Date/Time 5/10/2019 1:10am

Ideas?
jeffro503 wrote:
I think it's a great idea Matt. I am wondering if the AMA will actually score points for the rider's and actually calculate them at the...
I think it's a great idea Matt. I am wondering if the AMA will actually score points for the rider's and actually calculate them at the end of the series? Even if a rider does 5 rounds ( like Crutcher said ) , he could still be considered a champion at the end of the series.

What shocks me is the pure ignorance on this side of the pond for this class. A lot of dudes on here think it's a joke , and mean while in the MXGP scene , it's extremely serious and there is a champion crowned in the end. It is a great "start " having it at all 12 rounds , BUT.....it isn't televised and as far as we know there is no champion to be crowned at the end.

Why do the manufactures back that class big time in the MXGP's........but they won't back it here? Or maybe they don't back it because they see no series to actually back? Anyone think of that? Get a series......get backing!!
Your last question is a good point that I’ve never understood. MXGP fully supports the 125 class but the AMA doesn’t, it’s like a taboo subject.
PJRAUS
5/10/2019 1:29am
I believe it should be a series..
They should go for broke next year with it....full series, at least 2x 20 min motos, no production rule..allow full works bikes if any manufacturers care to race one...they did that before to allow for development of the 4 strokes...and no stupid ass age restrictions...let anyone race...would be a great series !!
In my view ,back in the early 80's the 125 class outdoors was the premier class, with the biggest stars.
It may not be a big deal...it may be ho hum in the end, but the fact that so many big wigs in this sport seem determined to oppose any new 125 national championship makes me suspicious of their real reasons as to why?
I might be a little paranoid, but are they worried the 125's might prove more popular with the fans than the 4 strokes?

I remember the first time they raced v8 supercars on a street circuit here in Australia, it was at the indy car race on the gold coast and they had a shifter cart support race...and the shifter carts were on tv too...
The shifter carts made the v8's look slow and ridiculous and the kart racing just blew away everything else...thereafter, the shifter karts were not seen again!
Maestro
5/10/2019 3:44am
PJRAUS wrote:
I believe it should be a series.. They should go for broke next year with it....full series, at least 2x 20 min motos, no production rule..allow...
I believe it should be a series..
They should go for broke next year with it....full series, at least 2x 20 min motos, no production rule..allow full works bikes if any manufacturers care to race one...they did that before to allow for development of the 4 strokes...and no stupid ass age restrictions...let anyone race...would be a great series !!
In my view ,back in the early 80's the 125 class outdoors was the premier class, with the biggest stars.
It may not be a big deal...it may be ho hum in the end, but the fact that so many big wigs in this sport seem determined to oppose any new 125 national championship makes me suspicious of their real reasons as to why?
I might be a little paranoid, but are they worried the 125's might prove more popular with the fans than the 4 strokes?

I remember the first time they raced v8 supercars on a street circuit here in Australia, it was at the indy car race on the gold coast and they had a shifter cart support race...and the shifter carts were on tv too...
The shifter carts made the v8's look slow and ridiculous and the kart racing just blew away everything else...thereafter, the shifter karts were not seen again!
It has to be politics (money). The Jap brands are powerful in the US. The manufacturers pay for ads in the media, and therefor control them...mostly.

Just me 2 cents worth.

...I agree with everything you say about the series. I also agree that 125’s were by far the best racing back in the day and probably could be again with some support.

It feels great to be able to see the facts and not just follow the crowd.
ATKpilot99
5/10/2019 4:43am
It's good that there's a series but to be taken seriously it needs to be more than just a 5 lap single moto format . EMX 125 is where it's at and it would be cool to see some up and coming American riders give it a go .
newmann
5/10/2019 5:59am
FI2T wrote:
I'll donate for a kick ass vital 2 stroke trophy and toss some money for a purse! Keeping track of points might be difficult based on...

mxb2 wrote:
Making popcorn for this old rerun of a soap opera.

No room in the schedule for a 6 round 125cc National Championship but there is room for some 12 round invitational gherkin jerkin festival. Makes sense to me. Meanwhile, how many riders are going into the outdoors on the injured list after the circus left town?
Maestro
5/10/2019 6:22am
FI2T wrote:

mxb2 wrote:
newmann wrote:
Making popcorn for this old rerun of a soap opera. No room in the schedule for a 6 round 125cc National Championship but there is room...
Making popcorn for this old rerun of a soap opera.

No room in the schedule for a 6 round 125cc National Championship but there is room for some 12 round invitational gherkin jerkin festival. Makes sense to me. Meanwhile, how many riders are going into the outdoors on the injured list after the circus left town?
You my friend, are bang on the money.
BR8ES
5/10/2019 7:10am
The event should be called "The 125cc Sideshow"... yes, better than no 125s, but puzzling it is just that when Europe has a legit series.
GangGreen
5/10/2019 7:26am Edited Date/Time 5/10/2019 7:29am
Muscle-Milk-KTM stated, “MXGP fully supports the 125 class but the AMA doesn’t, it’s like a taboo subject”

To clarify, the AMA permits equal displacement racing and it’s MX Sports that keeps the ridiculously outdated “Double-Displacement Rule” in professional racing.
The classes are STILL 125cc and 250cc with Supplemental Rules in Professional Motocross Racing permitting increased displacement for four-strokes. Making it a single 4 lap 125cc race, and including amateurs, just keeps it a “sideshow”, as intended by the powers that be.

EVERYONE knew over 10 years ago that the "double-displacement" was flawed.

Photo Credit, Simon Cudby – RacerX / September 2009

jeffro503
5/10/2019 8:15am

Ideas?
jeffro503 wrote:
I think it's a great idea Matt. I am wondering if the AMA will actually score points for the rider's and actually calculate them at the...

Your last question is a good point that I’ve never understood. MXGP fully supports the 125 class but the AMA doesn’t, it’s like a taboo subject.
Yeah , and it sucks! Here is another thing to think about......There are 4 x 35min moto's that happen on our one day format. Practice starts around 8am , and the last moto is 3-4pm. Basically as a spectator , we are there all day long to watch 4 moto's + practice + LCQ. There is a lot of down time. We have a little track maintenance as well , but that still leaves a lot of free time. We seriously can't fit in 2 x 20 - 25min moto's?

It's one of those subject's here that certain people say " shhh!!.......we're not suppose to talk about it. "

And yet across the pond , the EMX 125 class thrives!
Maestro
5/10/2019 8:27am
They should definitely save the time spent re-grooming the track. Look at the evolution from race 1 to race 2 here for example. It’s lyng in the Uk. Awesome

https://youtu.be/PLR9SDMonJw
aeffertz
5/10/2019 9:39am
I think it would be awesome if Pulp and Yamaha could put up a YZ125 as a prize and sell raffle tickets to it, with the proceeds going to the top 3 guys who score the most points throughout the season.
early
Fantasy
2231st
5/10/2019 9:50am
aeffertz wrote:
I think it would be awesome if Pulp and Yamaha could put up a YZ125 as a prize and sell raffle tickets to it, with the...
I think it would be awesome if Pulp and Yamaha could put up a YZ125 as a prize and sell raffle tickets to it, with the proceeds going to the top 3 guys who score the most points throughout the season.
This.

Actually A. Enticknap should donate the $6500 for a yz125 to be raffled for this. Call it good karma since his SX season was so lame.
early
Fantasy
2231st
5/10/2019 9:59am
jeffro503 wrote:
Yeah , and it sucks! Here is another thing to think about......There are 4 x 35min moto's that happen on our one day format. Practice starts...
Yeah , and it sucks! Here is another thing to think about......There are 4 x 35min moto's that happen on our one day format. Practice starts around 8am , and the last moto is 3-4pm. Basically as a spectator , we are there all day long to watch 4 moto's + practice + LCQ. There is a lot of down time. We have a little track maintenance as well , but that still leaves a lot of free time. We seriously can't fit in 2 x 20 - 25min moto's?

It's one of those subject's here that certain people say " shhh!!.......we're not suppose to talk about it. "

And yet across the pond , the EMX 125 class thrives!
The actual racing goes really fast, there's barely time for a spectator to run to the portajon for a piss between Moto's. Before and after the main motos, there is time to run 2 full motos.

The bigger problem I see is that there really isn't support for more riders running a full series. Running 3 mini-series seems like a more logical way to attract regional Pro-Am competitors.
West: Hangtown, Pala, thunder valley, washougal
Central: Mt Morris, Redbud, Millville, Ironman
East: WW, Southwick, Unadilla, Budds
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
5/10/2019 9:01pm
early wrote:
The actual racing goes really fast, there's barely time for a spectator to run to the portajon for a piss between Moto's. Before and after the...
The actual racing goes really fast, there's barely time for a spectator to run to the portajon for a piss between Moto's. Before and after the main motos, there is time to run 2 full motos.

The bigger problem I see is that there really isn't support for more riders running a full series. Running 3 mini-series seems like a more logical way to attract regional Pro-Am competitors.
West: Hangtown, Pala, thunder valley, washougal
Central: Mt Morris, Redbud, Millville, Ironman
East: WW, Southwick, Unadilla, Budds
Set it up as a regional series is a great idea. Might even work better to use one 25+2 moto, so it would be a natural stepping stone from the amateur series without taking up too much time from the 250F/450F classes.

Maybe allow riders to compete without losing their amateur status (might be the case now, I don't know). This could have some seriously fast kids showing up, with the entire pro industry there to watch.
Spudnut
5/10/2019 9:26pm
This would be great, maybe Matthes could raffle off a sick ass 125 or something to gain money to pay out to the top 3-5 assuming it wouldn’t rip the amateur riders of their am status.what about contingency for it from husky ktm and Yamaha?

If fans and riders demand it long enough the big wigs will have no choice.
jeffro503
5/10/2019 9:44pm
Spudnut wrote:
This would be great, maybe Matthes could raffle off a sick ass 125 or something to gain money to pay out to the top 3-5 assuming...
This would be great, maybe Matthes could raffle off a sick ass 125 or something to gain money to pay out to the top 3-5 assuming it wouldn’t rip the amateur riders of their am status.what about contingency for it from husky ktm and Yamaha?

If fans and riders demand it long enough the big wigs will have no choice.
The 125 class rider's , of all ages have grown a lot over the past 4 - 5 years. 5 years ago you could show up to a practice day and see maybe 5 - 8 of them , and most we're kid's. Now days , there are a ton of them out there , in all different age groups.

The reasons for it are simple. They are a blast to race and ride , affordable , easy to work on and arguably produce the best racing then any class out there.

When we don't have a true series here , the OEM's have nothing to really sponsor. Where as in EMX 125 , those OEM's , teams , racer's ect......take that class very serious. It's been basically called an outcast of a class here , and the higher ups keep putting their heel on the neck of that class......and quite frankly , it's a fucking crime against this sport!!
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
5/11/2019 8:46am
At the very least, someone should tally the points and we can name a champion. Hell, I'll do it. Official or not, someone will have "won" the series. We'll use the same points system as the regular nationals.
5/11/2019 11:30am
On behalf of Rippinruts (my sticker company) and Muf Mufflers (my merchandise brand), along with the Over The Bars Podcast:

I will be awarding the 125cc National Champion with a FREE set of national championship graphics as recognized by the power vested in the Vital MX community as the *unofficial* points keeping and sanctioning body. Also an unofficial but equally awesome #1 plate will be made and sent with the championship winning racer’s sticker kit.

Along with a free set of graphics, the winner will get an interview to be recorded and aired on the over the bars podcast.

The top 3 finishers in the 125cc National Championship will also get a free swag pack on behalf of Muf Mufflers.

Minimum requirements to be eligible for awards:
None.
Show up, race, burn premix, have fun, collect points.

Everyone else’s move.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
5/11/2019 11:39am
Anyone want to be a presenting sponsor for the 2019 Rippinruts/Muf Mufflers 125cc National Championship? ?
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
5/11/2019 11:40am
Excuse me, "2019 Rippinruts/Muf Mufflers 125cc Nationals, a VitalMX National Championship."

Post a reply to: 125 Championship

The Latest