125 AF

mxpunk
10/24/2011 8:07pm
EvanR127 wrote:
IMO I don't think a yz or RM125 would be better in 4t frame plue the suspension is the same as new four strokes!
Sheriff245 wrote:
The chassis and ergonomics on the new YZ250F is simply amazing. I love my YZ125, but the chassis is just not up to date.
dude the alum frame yz125s are soo light, they're more then up to date....how is the new 250f that much better??

the alum frame yz125 & 250 are supper light
redalert144
Fantasy
3087th
10/24/2011 8:15pm
I have a 04 CR250f with a blown tranny, anyone put a 125 in those frames?
gsxr6
10/24/2011 8:30pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2011 8:31pm
AJ with fuel injection in the works u are making the exact bikes we have been denied. At what point do u just branch out like christini and make your own bikes? it would seem like at your price point it would be feasible? definitely worth it. perhaps a guy could just license the cr500 engine design? and go with the 08 cr chassis(is exactly what christini did. perhaps license the rm250 two stroke engine design? i believe at this point u could design/ build a comparable product from scratch. or dare i say it, superior to the current model line even. I read the dirt rider test on the cr250af and afx and the statements used such as " homebuilt" and" in need of engine repositioning" made me first wonder are those issues that could be solved from a scratch build perhaps? last but not least with the advent of injection four strokes tended to go flat at about 8500 rpms. that being a decent peak rpm for a 250 2t, is top end power loss a non issue with the two strokes and injection? also is it a crankcase injection or is it at the throttle body ie current keihin setup? direct injection just seems like to much to ask for.
CR500Rider
10/24/2011 10:09pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2011 10:11pm
mxpunk wrote:
i see a few of you have put showa suspension on your cr125's ... does the showa shock and forks make a big difference?? i read...
i see a few of you have put showa suspension on your cr125's ...

does the showa shock and forks make a big difference??

i read the kyb stuff was good. never moto'd a cr125...
The CR125 (and the CR500) never got twin chamber forks. The shock is fine. I'm not a big believer an aluminum frame is an advantage, especially since the CR125 wouldn't get out of it's own way when they bolted the engine in one.

The Shop

10/25/2011 5:46am
EvanR127 wrote:
IMO I don't think a yz or RM125 would be better in 4t frame plue the suspension is the same as new four strokes!
Sheriff245 wrote:
The chassis and ergonomics on the new YZ250F is simply amazing. I love my YZ125, but the chassis is just not up to date.
mxpunk wrote:
dude the alum frame yz125s are soo light, they're more then up to date....how is the new 250f that much better?? the alum frame yz125 &...
dude the alum frame yz125s are soo light, they're more then up to date....how is the new 250f that much better??

the alum frame yz125 & 250 are supper light
It's not just about weight. I believe the 250F chassis is actually heavier than the 125 chassis. But don't forget that more weight = more traction, and 2 strokes don't have as much traction as 4 strokes so a few more pounds are note necessarily a disadvantage.

You have to remember that although the 2 stroke chassis is "only" 6 years old (which is almost vintage IMO), it has the same basic geometry as the 99 frame (12 years old). I have ridden both bikes back to back and the way the 250F handles is quite a bit better. The ergonomics are different also, as the 250F has a more consistent width which makes it easier to move around on.
Erick
10/25/2011 8:26am
I love the bike, awesome

What about ............... MOAR PICTURES Woohoo
gsxr6
10/25/2011 9:13pm
gsxr6 wrote:
AJ with fuel injection in the works u are making the exact bikes we have been denied. At what point do u just branch out like...
AJ with fuel injection in the works u are making the exact bikes we have been denied. At what point do u just branch out like christini and make your own bikes? it would seem like at your price point it would be feasible? definitely worth it. perhaps a guy could just license the cr500 engine design? and go with the 08 cr chassis(is exactly what christini did. perhaps license the rm250 two stroke engine design? i believe at this point u could design/ build a comparable product from scratch. or dare i say it, superior to the current model line even. I read the dirt rider test on the cr250af and afx and the statements used such as " homebuilt" and" in need of engine repositioning" made me first wonder are those issues that could be solved from a scratch build perhaps? last but not least with the advent of injection four strokes tended to go flat at about 8500 rpms. that being a decent peak rpm for a 250 2t, is top end power loss a non issue with the two strokes and injection? also is it a crankcase injection or is it at the throttle body ie current keihin setup? direct injection just seems like to much to ask for.
this
gsxr6
10/25/2011 9:14pm
Erick wrote:
I love the bike, awesome

need to get a big bore kit. 02 cr250 . can u help?
Erick
10/26/2011 12:38am
Erick wrote:
I love the bike, awesome

gsxr6 wrote:
need to get a big bore kit. 02 cr250 . can u help?
Uhm considering I live on the other side of the world (kinda). Not really. But you should contact Eric Gorr, he can help you.
gsxr6
10/26/2011 5:37pm
gsxr6 wrote:
AJ with fuel injection in the works u are making the exact bikes we have been denied. At what point do u just branch out like...
gsxr6 wrote:
this
this lol
motomental1
2/29/2012 5:14pm
picked this little jewel up last weekend from my younger brother. he mothballed it 04 when his son found cars and girls. $800 gonna give it a full tear down . like the 99 oem look but a may go with a plastic and graphics kit below. may not be as nice as the one started in this topic, but i cant wait to ride it.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Denn700
2/29/2012 5:36pm
Doesn't yamaha already make a kit to covert your yz125 to the new frame?
Hando
2/29/2012 6:06pm
@denn, i think its a plastic kit made by some italian company,...i doubt they sell a full conversion kit.
mx757
2/29/2012 6:15pm
Hando wrote:
@denn, i think its a plastic kit made by some italian company,...i doubt they sell a full conversion kit.
Exactly. That kit that youve seen is just to bolt up the new plastics and I think seat to the 05-12 frame.
2/29/2012 7:42pm
Think there will be a market for all those 250F motors that you pull out of those frames?
Four stroke owners dream. Bust up the old one, bolt in a new one.
Lightning78
2/29/2012 9:15pm
picked this little jewel up last weekend from my younger brother. he mothballed it 04 when his son found cars and girls. $800 gonna give it...
picked this little jewel up last weekend from my younger brother. he mothballed it 04 when his son found cars and girls. $800 gonna give it a full tear down . like the 99 oem look but a may go with a plastic and graphics kit below. may not be as nice as the one started in this topic, but i cant wait to ride it.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Why would you need to tear that bike down?????????? From the looks of the OEM stuff on the bike it appears to be hardly ridden? I would ride the piss outta that beauty and then tear it down.

Man I love keeping the stock look of my bikes ..."The Sleeper" besides 90% of aftermarket accessories for bikes are jewelery aka cosmetic and dont really enhance the performance of the bike itself. Clamps do nothing unless you get offset and even then they do not flex in tune with the way the bike was designed, all the stock parts go thru 100's of hours of R&D before they make it to production and work in harmony .....its very difficult to get a aftermarket clamp to mimic the OEM clamps in terms of flex and function plus the stockers are usually lighter .... this is only my opinion but my buddy ran the bud select team that Billy Payne made his comeback on and he said that they do this even at that level and they had plenty of money to buy clamps but from the Honda guys was advised to stick with the stockers and a few other things he bestowed on me.....nowadays I simply put an exhaust (on my 2 strokes) and suspension, graphics come after the OEM ones are worn down....thats it and half the time, bikes just need correct springs not a full on revalve...... Just my 2 cents though, everyone has their own intewrpretation.

Case in point I rode the exact same year CR250 my buddy had back in 03 and he had all kinds of sftermarket stuff mine was stock except for pipe and suspension he had the identical setup in those departments and the extra goodies....it felt nothing like mine. Very rigid and unpleasant. SOmetimes stuff like that is good for fixing a glaring flaw but its rare ..... for example I havent broken a lever in over 10 years and all of the setups were stock ....wow I rambled on sorry about that Tongue
Lightning78
2/29/2012 9:20pm
Hando wrote:
mx757 wrote:
Exactly. That kit that youve seen is just to bolt up the new plastics and I think seat to the 05-12 frame.
Ive heard its close to 1000 bucks for the conversion and I doubt other than looks that it provides any benefit....plus Ive been hearing the current YZ250f frames break like they are made out of balsa wood.... from a buddy that works for a place that sponsors a lot of amaetur and up and coming pros not AC92 status but still names nonetheless.... I really dont know where im going with this as ive worked 52 hours in the last 4 working days so im a little loopy haha 12hr, 13hr, 15hr, 12hr.....and I have to get up really early ....ahhhh the beautiful downside of being on salary I dont get extra pay for those Sad all in all ill likely top 62 hours for a typical work week ....that sucks!!!
motomental1
3/1/2012 5:20am
"Why would you need to tear that bike down?????????? From the looks of the OEM stuff on the bike it appears to be hardly ridden? I would ride the piss outta that beauty and then tear it down. "

it hasn't been apart since new. just want to check all the linkage and swing arm bearings. sterring bearings. wheels etc. i ordered new brake pads, chain and sprockets. im gonna do fork seals and fluid. top clamps and protaper bars. i'll post pics when done .
jtiger12
3/1/2012 5:45am
"Why would you need to tear that bike down?????????? From the looks of the OEM stuff on the bike it appears to be hardly ridden? I...
"Why would you need to tear that bike down?????????? From the looks of the OEM stuff on the bike it appears to be hardly ridden? I would ride the piss outta that beauty and then tear it down. "

it hasn't been apart since new. just want to check all the linkage and swing arm bearings. sterring bearings. wheels etc. i ordered new brake pads, chain and sprockets. im gonna do fork seals and fluid. top clamps and protaper bars. i'll post pics when done .
prepare to be beaten to death. I had a 98, and have ridden the 97, and 99 models. the 1st gen frame sucked, it may make a good woods or trail bike though.
AJ
3/1/2012 9:00am
Think there will be a market for all those 250F motors that you pull out of those frames?

a market? certainly -
We pull about 200 engines a year, and there is generally a waiting list for them.
I'd say most do not go to dirt bike market though...
motomental1
3/1/2012 9:59am
"Why would you need to tear that bike down?????????? From the looks of the OEM stuff on the bike it appears to be hardly ridden? I...

jtiger12 wrote:
prepare to be beaten to death. I had a 98, and have ridden the 97, and 99 models. the 1st gen frame sucked, it may make...
prepare to be beaten to death. I had a 98, and have ridden the 97, and 99 models. the 1st gen frame sucked, it may make a good woods or trail bike though.
im not scared, just a 2 strokeWhistling
OriolMassot
3/1/2012 4:13pm
AJ wrote:
[quote]Think there will be a market for all those 250F motors that you pull out of those frames?[/quote] a market? certainly - We pull about 200...

a market? certainly -
We pull about 200 engines a year, and there is generally a waiting list for them.
I'd say most do not go to dirt bike market though...
They go to a parts seller or to be mounted in go-karts?
motomental1
6/5/2012 8:20pm
picked this little jewel up last weekend from my younger brother. he mothballed it 04 when his son found cars and girls. $800 gonna give it...
PhotobucketPhotobucket

transformation complete 5 days and counting untill lift off.
wow123
6/5/2012 10:26pm
Looks way nicer than the stock look, cept where are the backgrounds?

I always wondered if someone tried to loosen those frames up a little, there must be points you could grind away to get some flex back in those frames................pretty risky i know...........but anyone who rode one knows they feel like 500cc 300 kmh gp bike frames
tobz
6/6/2012 12:57am Edited Date/Time 6/6/2012 12:57am
'13 chassis with the new forks would be tits!
pmcc
6/6/2012 3:21am
Why would you need to tear that bike down?????????? From the looks of the OEM stuff on the bike it appears to be hardly ridden? I...
Why would you need to tear that bike down?????????? From the looks of the OEM stuff on the bike it appears to be hardly ridden? I would ride the piss outta that beauty and then tear it down.

Man I love keeping the stock look of my bikes ..."The Sleeper" besides 90% of aftermarket accessories for bikes are jewelery aka cosmetic and dont really enhance the performance of the bike itself. Clamps do nothing unless you get offset and even then they do not flex in tune with the way the bike was designed, all the stock parts go thru 100's of hours of R&D before they make it to production and work in harmony .....its very difficult to get a aftermarket clamp to mimic the OEM clamps in terms of flex and function plus the stockers are usually lighter .... this is only my opinion but my buddy ran the bud select team that Billy Payne made his comeback on and he said that they do this even at that level and they had plenty of money to buy clamps but from the Honda guys was advised to stick with the stockers and a few other things he bestowed on me.....nowadays I simply put an exhaust (on my 2 strokes) and suspension, graphics come after the OEM ones are worn down....thats it and half the time, bikes just need correct springs not a full on revalve...... Just my 2 cents though, everyone has their own intewrpretation.

Case in point I rode the exact same year CR250 my buddy had back in 03 and he had all kinds of sftermarket stuff mine was stock except for pipe and suspension he had the identical setup in those departments and the extra goodies....it felt nothing like mine. Very rigid and unpleasant. SOmetimes stuff like that is good for fixing a glaring flaw but its rare ..... for example I havent broken a lever in over 10 years and all of the setups were stock ....wow I rambled on sorry about that Tongue
Stock is best for the average Joe i reckon. I have 2 friends with Honda 250f, one stock and one trick out and tuned, I am way more comfortable on the stock bike, it is more stable and the power is more useable. The tuned engine is every aggressive and unsettles the bike mid corner when you get on the throttle, the manufacture's do all this R&D for a reason i truly believe many people ruin there bike's by trying to trick them out.

Infact there was a article in a UK mag a while back and they tested 4 or 5 bikes from club riders and only one of them was better than stock the rest were worse!
motomental1
6/6/2012 5:40am
wow123 wrote:
Looks way nicer than the stock look, cept where are the backgrounds? I always wondered if someone tried to loosen those frames up a little, there...
Looks way nicer than the stock look, cept where are the backgrounds?

I always wondered if someone tried to loosen those frames up a little, there must be points you could grind away to get some flex back in those frames................pretty risky i know...........but anyone who rode one knows they feel like 500cc 300 kmh gp bike frames
i never could find the one industries backgrounds like in the pic. so im going to have to make my own, or have some made. just haven't got that far yet. and i added a stock 96 cr500 rubber mounted top tripple clamp to help take out some of the frame vibes.
Surfinglbi23
6/6/2012 8:19am
Damn that is SWEET! I'd love to do a build like this one day -- nice work

Post a reply to: 125 AF

The Latest