100% Wins IP Infringement Action Against Just 1

Related:
Create New Tag

1/26/2021 2:24 AM

On VitalMX news there was PR about it but does anyone have more info about it as that PR didnt tell much?

|

1/26/2021 7:00 AM

I don't know about that, but Just 1 released a new goggle with injection molded lens.

- Double frame construction
- Injection-molded 2 mm ultra HD lens
- Triple density thermoformed layer face foam
- Ultra-wide 50 mm strap
- Wide view port provides exceptional peripheral vision
- D-Lock patented system offers fast lens changing capability

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

1/26/2021 7:05 AM

Alibaba goggles.

|

1/26/2021 7:08 AM

|

1/26/2021 8:02 AM

Looking at that doc, and the power of Google, I think it looks like 100% got Just1 on a design patent infringement on the shape of the lens (Dashed vs Solid Lines). Or I could be nuts LOL.

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/e5/cc/0b/2879b141d751ad/USD711960.pdf

100%
Photo

Just1
Photo

|

1/26/2021 8:10 AM

how much is it to take a patent out in the US ? $50,000 ? there must be a good profit off goggles !

|

1/26/2021 8:24 AM

mac3-d wrote:

how much is it to take a patent out in the US ? $50,000 ? there must be a good profit off goggles !

That’s why the goggle market is so saturated. Goggles are so cheap to produce.

|

Unleaded tastes a little tangy. Supreme is kinda sour, and diesel tastes pretty good.

1/26/2021 8:55 AM

If the lense shape is the reason.... LAME.

I'll buy Just 1 Goggles next time.

|

I was raised just off HWY 126 in Valencia during the 80's.

1/26/2021 9:00 AM

mac3-d wrote:

That is a simple design patent, probably $6,000 or less

|

1/26/2021 9:29 AM

ShawdowGlen wrote:

If the lense shape is the reason.... LAME.

I'll buy Just 1 Goggles next time.

They’re not bad.

|

1/26/2021 9:54 AM

They could legally copy the shape of the lens if they sold it as a replacement part, but of course the complaint sounds like their copying goes way beyond that. What's really weird is that they were working on a vendor relationship. Kinda suggests that there may have been some outright theft of design files, because it's not like you couldn't just buy a pair and copy it.

|

1/26/2021 12:23 PM

It's the notch in the top of the frame, something they have in all of their goggles and some of the glasses.

100% is very protective of that design feature (they take pride in it like Nike does the Air Max bubble) and anyone that copies it gets contacted immediately.

|

1/26/2021 12:28 PM

Does the new Just1 Nerve look like a clone of the new EKS Lucid? grin Here we go again...

|

1/26/2021 12:53 PM

mac3-d wrote:

Im working on a project thats being patented. In lawyer fees its $8,000 so far. Thats just for the application. I guess $15,000 is about average for it. Its a lot of money to front and youre not even guaranteed a patent. This is USA only. Theres still every other country too

|

1/26/2021 12:57 PM

Reminds me of the way Oakley has gone after competitor brands for similar infringement. Good on the guys at 100% for protecting their designs and patents. Brands need to be creative and bring innovative products to market instead of ripping off other brands ideas. Too many brands doing this in our segment of the market IMO.

|

1/26/2021 3:16 PM

mac3-d wrote:

$3000-$5000 for a patent in the u.s. paid out over about a 2-3 year period.

Before you guys say I don’t know what I’m talking about....I have 2

|

1/26/2021 9:52 PM

Register your business in China, tell everyone to get fucked. Seems to work everywhere. Sad.

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1/26/2021 11:04 PM

What about companies like Flowvision or Havoc? They seem to be direct replicas of 100% Racecraft goggles. Back in the day, I tested the waters and ordered a blank set of goggles from China through Alibaba and they also seemed just like Racecrafts. Although, nothing comes close to the quality of 100% branded goggles. I’m an Oakley Airbrake guy though.

|

Vital Mx is not safe...

1/29/2021 11:40 AM

|

1/29/2021 12:05 PM

Photo
|

1/29/2021 1:24 PM

Photo

So much to take in
|

1/29/2021 1:30 PM

CivBars wrote: Photo

So much to take in

Looks to me like they both copied the FMF goggle

|

1/29/2021 3:48 PM

CivBars wrote: Photo

So much to take in

GrapeApe wrote:

Looks to me like they both copied the FMF goggle

Hahaha

|

1/29/2021 6:32 PM

mac3-d wrote:

kkawboy14 wrote:

That depends on the patent. A design patent (my widget LOOKS like this and you can't make a widget that looks exactly the same) is "inexpensive", but not terribly useful except perhaps in a case like this. When most people think of a patent, they typically think of a utility patent (my widget DOES this and that's why it's super awesome. So if you make anything that does the same thing, I can sue you).

A super basic utility patent (e.g. a simple widget being patented) might be on the order of $5k. A well written utility patent on a moderately complex widget is more on the order of $15k. Sure, you can find someone to do it cheaper, but you get what you pay for in the patent world. It's well worth the extra cost to ensure it's well written and someone can't simply drive a bus through the holes in a cheap patent. Just remember at the end of the day your patent isn't worth a dime if you don't have the finances to protect it (sue for infringement).

|

Billy Wight
Luxon MX
@LuxonMX
https://luxonmx.com
Motocross Components Engineered for Performance

1/29/2021 7:40 PM

I had something i was looking to patent and went to a patent attorney and he told me $20K start to finish. I went to a registered patent agent and he told me $5,700 to do the whole thing. The agent had 27 patents in the science/physics field and on the board here locally doing shark tank type of stuff. He said never use a patent attorney, find a patent agent and save your money. Whether he was shooting me a load of bull i don't know, but dude knew his stuff.

|

"So you're telling me there's a chance!!"

1/29/2021 7:54 PM

mac3-d wrote:

kkawboy14 wrote:

Congrats on the patents, I have several myself myself. There's a little more to it than what you said, but the cost you listed is in the ballpark to cover the filings. The total amount depends. There is typically a cost of about $1500 for doing a patent search prior to patenting (not required, but its a good thing to do). The initial provisional filing cost depends on the attorney you use and how much the person patenting it puts into the filing versus how much the attorney has to put into it. If the person writing the patent is good, the cost is usually about $2-$3K additional for the attorney to put the write up into a good patent format and proper verbiage. Then a year later, you file for the non-provisional and add more claims (and clarify previous claims). This typically adds another $2-$3K. Then it just comes down to questions that come back from the patent office regarding the filings. I've seen attorney costs sky rocket if there are a ton of questions coming back from the patent office. If the patent is well written and is a novel idea, there will be less questions from the PTO which is desirable. We usually budget about $5K for the questions part. So for a US only patent, we typically see a cost of around $10K-$15 all in. And I stress that is US only. Easily double that for foreign filings, usually 2.5X.

That said, a patent isn't worth much until it is used to generate business. Its still not worth much until you get sued, or sue someone for patent infringement. Once you have business as a benefit of the patent, and win some way in court, then you have something worth real $$.

All in all, its a very worthwhile process and can be highly rewarding. Its gratifying to create something no one has ever thought of and turn it into a revenue/profit generating solution.

|

1/29/2021 8:08 PM

One other thing on patents. You don't just file one patent typically. To have a defensible patent or product in court, you typically want to file multiple patents thus protecting or patenting "around" you product, process, or idea. To get a single patent isn't expensive, but that doesn't mean much if its not generating revenue or isn't defensible in court. If its easy to get around, then its not worth the paper its written on. This is where a good patent attorney earns their money. The patenting process is typically only the beginning of the process, and if you do it successfully, it can costs considerable amounts of money until you have something of true value. Where you can feel a lot of financial pain is when it goes to court, but that is a critical step to creating value for your idea.

1) Patent 2) Earn revenue and profit from it 3) Sue or be sued and win

|

1/30/2021 6:50 AM

Rickyisms wrote:

That’s why the goggle market is so saturated. Goggles are so cheap to produce.

Cheap goggles are cheap to produce

|

1/30/2021 8:10 AM

TbonesPop wrote:

One other thing on patents. You don't just file one patent typically. To have a defensible patent or product in court, you typically want to file multiple patents thus protecting or patenting "around" you product, process, or idea. To get a single patent isn't expensive, but that doesn't mean much if its not generating revenue or isn't defensible in court. If its easy to get around, then its not worth the paper its written on. This is where a good patent attorney earns their money. The patenting process is typically only the beginning of the process, and if you do it successfully, it can costs considerable amounts of money until you have something of true value. Where you can feel a lot of financial pain is when it goes to court, but that is a critical step to creating value for your idea.

1) Patent 2) Earn revenue and profit from it 3) Sue or be sued and win

I work for an auto manufacturer, and we're all encouraged to submit patent ideas. I just had my first one go through this month, was about a 3 year process from submission (I believe it was filed in 4 different countries). I have no idea how much it cost to file but they pay us a decent bonus when we have one that makes production.

From my understanding, most of them are used for patent trading. So company X has a patent on how to control a fuel injector, as an example... but company Y has a patent on how to control an ignition coil. Instead of both companies suing each other when they use each other's idea, they "trade" patents and both use the technology without royalties.

|

Nick
-2015 Grom grocery getter
-2011 Road King Classic
-2010 WR250X supermoto