10 Year Neck Brace Study Results

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
12/8/2018 10:36am
lukemoto wrote:
It would be cool to see a spine/neck protection airbag system that would inflate in a hard crash. They use them in moto gp so it...
It would be cool to see a spine/neck protection airbag system that would inflate in a hard crash. They use them in moto gp so it must be good right?? The only problem I could see is with the frequency of crashes in motocross the device would have to be easy enough to reset.
ATKpilot99
12/8/2018 10:45am
They need to do the same study on old school neck rolls .
MPJC
Fantasy
704th
12/8/2018 10:53am
RCMXracing wrote:
To the OP, thanks for sharing, someone cared enough to collect information and clearly concerned about rider safety. Unfortunately it is information, not data, and certainly...
To the OP, thanks for sharing, someone cared enough to collect information and clearly concerned about rider safety. Unfortunately it is information, not data, and certainly not scientific and definitely not scientifically significant. There are no controls, and endless variables that are unaccounted for.
The report is anecdotal at best.
What do you take to be the distinction between data and information? What, according to you, constitutes "scientific"? What is the distinction between "scientific" and "scientifically significant"? By controls, do you mean placebo vs control group? How do you propose pulling that off? Fool one group into believing they're wearing neck braces when they're not? The point being, you don't need a control group in the double-blind study sense. There are variables, and many unaccounted for, but what is the relationship between those variables and the target group, and can we draw reasonable inferences nevertheless? An anecdote is a story or firsthand account. This study presents numbers based on thousands of observed instances. You clearly don't know what "anecdotal" means - or most of the other words in your post. Reading some of these posts is physically painful, and for the sake of my mental health, I think I'm going to quit reading this thread. I should apologize for picking on you - your post just nicely exemplifies much of the nonsense that keeps getting repeated here and I cannot in good conscience leave it unchecked when people may be making decisions about their safety.
tek14
12/8/2018 11:08am
Sadly one of zero info studies we see everyday.

The Shop

RCMXracing
12/8/2018 11:08am
RCMXracing wrote:
To the OP, thanks for sharing, someone cared enough to collect information and clearly concerned about rider safety. Unfortunately it is information, not data, and certainly...
To the OP, thanks for sharing, someone cared enough to collect information and clearly concerned about rider safety. Unfortunately it is information, not data, and certainly not scientific and definitely not scientifically significant. There are no controls, and endless variables that are unaccounted for.
MPJC wrote:
What do you take to be the distinction between data and information? What, according to you, constitutes "scientific"? What is the distinction between "scientific" and "scientifically...
What do you take to be the distinction between data and information? What, according to you, constitutes "scientific"? What is the distinction between "scientific" and "scientifically significant"? By controls, do you mean placebo vs control group? How do you propose pulling that off? Fool one group into believing they're wearing neck braces when they're not? The point being, you don't need a control group in the double-blind study sense. There are variables, and many unaccounted for, but what is the relationship between those variables and the target group, and can we draw reasonable inferences nevertheless? An anecdote is a story or firsthand account. This study presents numbers based on thousands of observed instances. You clearly don't know what "anecdotal" means - or most of the other words in your post. Reading some of these posts is physically painful, and for the sake of my mental health, I think I'm going to quit reading this thread. I should apologize for picking on you - your post just nicely exemplifies much of the nonsense that keeps getting repeated here and I cannot in good conscience leave it unchecked when people may be making decisions about their safety.
I stand by my post. It is anecdotal. There are independent variables and dependent variables that have to be accounted for to be scientific. There is zero science in this report. Truth is it’s only possible to do a scientific study with live subjects if they are willing to sign a waiver risking permanent injury or death. This is why the auto industry uses crash dummies.
No real study exists. Some of what Leatt did many years ago was laughable and the height of junk science. Also purely focusing on the cervical spine and ignoring the head, thoracic and lumbar is reckless.
MPJC
Fantasy
704th
12/8/2018 11:17am
RCMXracing wrote:
MPJC wrote:
What do you take to be the distinction between data and information? What, according to you, constitutes "scientific"? What is the distinction between "scientific" and "scientifically...
RCMXracing wrote:
I stand by my post. It is anecdotal. There are independent variables and dependent variables that have to be accounted for to be scientific. There is...
I stand by my post. It is anecdotal. There are independent variables and dependent variables that have to be accounted for to be scientific. There is zero science in this report. Truth is it’s only possible to do a scientific study with live subjects if they are willing to sign a waiver risking permanent injury or death. This is why the auto industry uses crash dummies.
No real study exists. Some of what Leatt did many years ago was laughable and the height of junk science. Also purely focusing on the cervical spine and ignoring the head, thoracic and lumbar is reckless.
You can draw narrow conclusions from narrow data - conclusions about the target group, making reasonable assumptions about the variables which, certainly, need to be studied further. That is why science proceeds cumulatively. By defining "study" so narrowly, you sound like one of the many first year university students I've taught that insisted that what I was assigning them was not an essay since it didn't conform to what their high school teachers told them an essay must be.
mx317
12/8/2018 11:46am
MPJC wrote:
RCMXracing wrote:
I stand by my post. It is anecdotal. There are independent variables and dependent variables that have to be accounted for to be scientific. There is...
MPJC wrote:
You can draw narrow conclusions from narrow data - conclusions about the target group, making reasonable assumptions about the variables which, certainly, need to be studied...
You can draw narrow conclusions from narrow data - conclusions about the target group, making reasonable assumptions about the variables which, certainly, need to be studied further. That is why science proceeds cumulatively. By defining "study" so narrowly, you sound like one of the many first year university students I've taught that insisted that what I was assigning them was not an essay since it didn't conform to what their high school teachers told them an essay must be.
Maybe enough studies will be done to do a meta-analysis on this subject. This has been the most unbiased study I’ve seen so far.
RCMXracing
12/8/2018 12:08pm
MPJC wrote:
RCMXracing wrote:
MPJC wrote:
You can draw narrow conclusions from narrow data - conclusions about the target group, making reasonable assumptions about the variables which, certainly, need to be studied...
Ok, you’ve taken a couple personal stabs at me. I’m not willing to return the favor. What you are talking about is not research and not scientific in any way. I cringe hearing “narrow conclusions” and “assumptions”. Guessing we are coming at this from different fields. So we can agree to disagree.
Hopefully we can agree that the AMA, MX Sports, Feld, and other entities should push for government grants to research neck braces. Another reason the Pro’s should have a union to advocate for safety which would trickle down to us average Joe’s.
One issue is the focus is so narrow on the cervical spine. And no I don’t care about a collar bone if it saves my neck. What I do care about are massive concussions and death due to those massive concussions and injuries to other parts of the spine.
Brtp4
12/8/2018 12:18pm
Darwin is in full effect here.

I wear a brace, FWIW.

BP
12/8/2018 12:19pm Edited Date/Time 12/8/2018 12:20pm
The amount of people who are against an optional piece of protective equipment is amazing.

brimx153
12/8/2018 12:31pm
The amount of people who are against an optional piece of protective equipment is amazing.

I am not against it , I just can't see when I am wearing one . Which I feel is more dangerous for me . I don't think they do any harm . I not fully sure if they work . But if it did by stop me seeing up I'd wear one for sure
MPJC
Fantasy
704th
12/8/2018 12:32pm
RCMXracing wrote:
MPJC wrote:
RCMXracing wrote:
Ok, you’ve taken a couple personal stabs at me. I’m not willing to return the favor. What you are talking about is not research and not...
Ok, you’ve taken a couple personal stabs at me. I’m not willing to return the favor. What you are talking about is not research and not scientific in any way. I cringe hearing “narrow conclusions” and “assumptions”. Guessing we are coming at this from different fields. So we can agree to disagree.
Hopefully we can agree that the AMA, MX Sports, Feld, and other entities should push for government grants to research neck braces. Another reason the Pro’s should have a union to advocate for safety which would trickle down to us average Joe’s.
One issue is the focus is so narrow on the cervical spine. And no I don’t care about a collar bone if it saves my neck. What I do care about are massive concussions and death due to those massive concussions and injuries to other parts of the spine.
I certainly agree that further research is needed. I’m less interested in determining whether the study is scientific (what constitutes science is not as straightforward as many might think) as I am in determining whether it provides epistemic warrant for the proposition that it is more likely than not that a neck brace will do more good than harm in a very bad crash. Something can do that while failing to meet various definitions of “science”. (Just to satisfy your curiosity, I’m trained as an analytic philosopher focusing on jurisprudence, with teaching and research interests in logic, philosophy of science, and epistemology).
ATKpilot99
12/8/2018 12:56pm
RCMXracing wrote:
Wouldn't you expect a study involving a device designed to lessen injury to the cervical spine be focused on injuries to the cervical spine ?
RCMXracing
12/8/2018 1:56pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Wouldn't you expect a study involving a device designed to lessen injury to the cervical spine be focused on injuries to the cervical spine ?
It’s misleading when it ignores other potential harm. A study or report that doesn’t encompass all aspects is irresponsible. I’m not saying the report in this thread is irresponsible, it’s information, but if you don’t use critical thinking can lead you to an uninformed conclusion. Throw on a lab coat and some glasses and say “studies show” is just another toothpaste commercial. As an example Dr’s used to tell women to take up smoking to curb appetite so they could lose weight. A neck brace is experimental. I don’t judge people who wear them. I used to wear one. I see it as a risk/reward and the potential harm outweighs the positives IMHO.

My own injuries, injuries and death to others and the physics bias me against them, but it is just an opinion. If real research is done it could possibly change the risk/reward and I would wear one again. FWIW I wear knee braces, a chest pro, and the best helmets. I never ride on the street without a helmet or drive without a seatbelt.
tk2stroke
12/8/2018 2:42pm Edited Date/Time 12/8/2018 2:43pm
RCMXracing wrote:
It’s misleading when it ignores other potential harm. A study or report that doesn’t encompass all aspects is irresponsible. I’m not saying the report in this...
It’s misleading when it ignores other potential harm. A study or report that doesn’t encompass all aspects is irresponsible. I’m not saying the report in this thread is irresponsible, it’s information, but if you don’t use critical thinking can lead you to an uninformed conclusion. Throw on a lab coat and some glasses and say “studies show” is just another toothpaste commercial. As an example Dr’s used to tell women to take up smoking to curb appetite so they could lose weight. A neck brace is experimental. I don’t judge people who wear them. I used to wear one. I see it as a risk/reward and the potential harm outweighs the positives IMHO.

My own injuries, injuries and death to others and the physics bias me against them, but it is just an opinion. If real research is done it could possibly change the risk/reward and I would wear one again. FWIW I wear knee braces, a chest pro, and the best helmets. I never ride on the street without a helmet or drive without a seatbelt.
To each their own whether someone chooses to wear a brace or not. While a neck brace does inhibit some mobility your claim you can't look up is peculiar. Unless you have virtually no neck it's hard to imagine you wouldn't find a neck brace capable of being adjusted to work well and give you more than sufficient range of sight for riding.

However your perspective is a primative opinion and not based on aggregated data. Anyone who truly values the opportunity to de-risk this sport would be wise to heed the information in this study.
Question
12/8/2018 2:42pm Edited Date/Time 12/8/2018 2:44pm
Moto_Geek wrote:
I've given up trying to defending VITARDS. This is a well-documented report and all the sudden everyone is a professional statistician. :) I see too many...
I've given up trying to defending VITARDS. This is a well-documented report and all the sudden everyone is a professional statistician. Smile I see too many recent spinal injuries changing peoples lives in our sport. The numbers speak volumes! Upgrading my neck brace for 2019 because of this report. PSA - Donate to @Road2Recovery today.
Nothing personal, as I could have quoted anyone in this thread. I just agree on the bold statement "I've given up trying to defending VITARDS".

I am embarassed. I put this week a thread to help an injured rider who organised a massive charity auction. Only 2 members discussed it.

Here I come, I read the stats, and in 2 seconds see a massive flaw in it not one member in 4 pages have seen... You said "This is a well-documented report and all the sudden everyone is a professional statistician." Well, it is probably the worst stats analysis I have ever seen in a long time. Yet every one agree like a sheep on the previous member who gave his "intelligent" opinion on how biaised it was.

People, wake up ...

Yes, actually you need to go to stats 6. to see if it is biased of not, but as it is not, let us go back to stats 1.

Statistics 1 said: a critical cervical spine injury is 89% more likely without a neck brace.

Well, if 26 got injured while wearing a neckbrace, and 239 got injured while not wearing a neckbrace, do you really still believe "a critical cervical spine injury is 89% more likely without a neck brace." ?????

It is basic maths in a level, i am not a statistitian or scientific of any kind. I just read the numbers to understand the information that is given. We can say whatever we want with stats which highly by politics by the way, so it is necessary to understand the basics !

What should be written is simple:

[b]Statistics 1: a critical cervical spine injury is 819% more likely without a neck brace.

Formula: (239/26) - 1 x100

Basically all the analysis should be rewritten so I am mad all this work cannot be take as seriously as it should because someone doesn't know how to make a simple stats.

Question
12/8/2018 2:50pm
So please can someone answer statistics 2 correctly ?
Question
12/8/2018 2:52pm Edited Date/Time 12/8/2018 2:56pm
Yes, death is 300% more likely without a neck brace.
Deetsmx
12/8/2018 3:34pm
I’ve owned a track for 5 years and keep a mental note of all the bad injuries. From what I’ve seen, I don’t wear them and won’t let my kid wear them either.
ATKpilot99
12/8/2018 3:46pm
Deetsmx wrote:
I’ve owned a track for 5 years and keep a mental note of all the bad injuries. From what I’ve seen, I don’t wear them and...
I’ve owned a track for 5 years and keep a mental note of all the bad injuries. From what I’ve seen, I don’t wear them and won’t let my kid wear them either.
Please elaborate.
BR8ES
12/8/2018 3:49pm
Deetsmx wrote:
I’ve owned a track for 5 years and keep a mental note of all the bad injuries. From what I’ve seen, I don’t wear them and...
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Please elaborate.
Yes.
Deetsmx
12/8/2018 4:25pm Edited Date/Time 12/8/2018 4:26pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Please elaborate.
I’ve seen simple crashes turn into bad stuff. Collapsed lungs, the usual broken collarbones, broken vertebrae, concussions, and broken necks. Whether they were caused by the brace, who knows, but it seems to be frequent enough that it’s probably not a coincidence. If you were not on a bike and had to fall chest first or straight onto your back with or without a brace, would you wear it? I’m sure it helps in certain situations, but I’ve seen them do much more harm than good. This is just from what I’ve seen and my opinion, not trying to turn this into a back and forth argument.
kb228
12/8/2018 4:26pm
Deetsmx wrote:
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Please elaborate.
BR8ES wrote:
Yes.
Too many broken collarbones....
Indy mxer
12/8/2018 5:13pm
Been wearing a Leatt since they came out. I'm getting ready to update to the newest model soon.
I've always believed in them. But just like seat belts and airbags in a car, nothing is 100% effective.

Yes, they can be hard on a collarbone. But that's a trade off I'll take all day long.
And as far as the guys who say they can't see or turn their heads, I call bs!! You obviously don't have it adjusted correctly. Once I get out on the track I don't even notice it.

For most of the rider's who say they don't work, no amount of data or studies will ever convince them otherwise. They simply want to validate their decision not to wear one.
And lets leave the "pro's don't wear them" argument out of it.
That's laughable. They only wear what they get paid to wear. MM does wear one but he may get paid for that.

But if you choose to take the risk and not wear one that's ok too. Although almost all the guys I ride with wear one, I would never push it on anyone. Personal choice.
bvm111
12/8/2018 5:18pm
If you don’t want to wear one... don’t.

This wasn’t a study to determine if they are effective or not and it was certainly not presented as a “scientific study.” This EMS company compiled their information collected from the injured riders they cared for over a 10 year period and presented their raw data and attempted to statisticaly represent them. I am not a statistician or a scientist but I can look at the raw data and notice a pattern. If you can’t then keep on doing what you are doing, if you are a statistician or scientist maybe take the time to look at their data and present it in a different way instead of getting into a pissing match about why you think it is flawed or that neck braces don’t work.

I know that over 30 years of riding I have only crashed two times out of MANY times that my helmet actually performed its intended job. By some of your logic presented in this thread I shouldnt wear my helmet because they are uncomfortable, hot, sweaty, and limit visibility.

Anywho... do what you want wear what you want and let’s go ride... jimminy Christmas! Blink
12/8/2018 5:43pm
I’m not sold in either direction. There are far too many variables here not taken into account such as:
1. Motorcycle engine size
2. Soil/track surface
3. Rider skill classification

I ride a 125, majority on sand (both by choice), and am a pro rider. I do not wear a neck brace. I do not like neck braces. I advocate them for riders of lesser skill (of whom are more likely to crash more often).

These statistics are very compelling. I will not be going to the dealer and buying a new brace, however.
kb228
12/8/2018 5:57pm
I’m not sold in either direction. There are far too many variables here not taken into account such as: 1. Motorcycle engine size 2. Soil/track surface...
I’m not sold in either direction. There are far too many variables here not taken into account such as:
2. Soil/track surface

I ride a 125, majority on sand (both by choice), and am a pro rider. I do not wear a neck brace. I do not like neck braces. I advocate them for riders of lesser skill (of whom are more likely to crash more often).

These statistics are very compelling. I will not be going to the dealer and buying a new brace, however.
Lets translate that to another comparison.

Why are skilled supersport riders fulled geared in leathers and helmets while harley/cruiser riders wear work boots? Arent the lesser skilled riders(cruiser dudes) more likely to crash?

Why is someone who jumps 100ft jumps at 45mph be less of a concern for neck injuries than new riders going 20mph and jumping 20ft jumps or having tipovers in corners?

I dont think bike size, skill or dirt coditions matter. All it takes is the wrong angle to do it. Whether youre going 15mph or 40mph. Does not matter.

Everyone here is their own man. Nobody is trying to be someones mommy. Just understand the risks and stop trying to justify a stupid decision to not wear gear.
jemcee
12/8/2018 6:08pm Edited Date/Time 12/8/2018 8:39pm
I’m not sold in either direction. There are far too many variables here not taken into account such as: 1. Motorcycle engine size 2. Soil/track surface...
2. Soil/track surface

I agree on the variables but not on the variables you put forward
I was riding a 125
Rider skill is bullshit and doesn't come into it in any way Ernesto Fonseca? Jimmy Button?
I was definitely a decent rider who hardly crashed (in fact there's some who argue that people don't know how to crash properly, so less crashing = less practice)
12/8/2018 7:19pm
kb228 wrote:
Lets translate that to another comparison. Why are skilled supersport riders fulled geared in leathers and helmets while harley/cruiser riders wear work boots? Arent the lesser...
Lets translate that to another comparison.

Why are skilled supersport riders fulled geared in leathers and helmets while harley/cruiser riders wear work boots? Arent the lesser skilled riders(cruiser dudes) more likely to crash?

Why is someone who jumps 100ft jumps at 45mph be less of a concern for neck injuries than new riders going 20mph and jumping 20ft jumps or having tipovers in corners?

I dont think bike size, skill or dirt coditions matter. All it takes is the wrong angle to do it. Whether youre going 15mph or 40mph. Does not matter.

Everyone here is their own man. Nobody is trying to be someones mommy. Just understand the risks and stop trying to justify a stupid decision to not wear gear.
Are you lobbying that crashing on sand and crashing on Missouri hardpack would yield the same injuries?

Jemcee: it’s far easier to get out of shape quickly on a 450 than it is a 125.

Post a reply to: 10 Year Neck Brace Study Results

The Latest