02-08 crf450 still good?

Lightning78
2/5/2019 10:06pm
4csHATER wrote:
I personally think this is one of the best bikes you could possibly own, if you do a carillo long rod, copper valve seatsx2 or del...
I personally think this is one of the best bikes you could possibly own, if you do a carillo long rod, copper valve seatsx2 or del west valve train, cam and vortex cdi, hinson clutch, rem / cryo tranny, and run the kx250f linkage from 2008 and 2011 kx450f forks and wheel setup on the front, this bike is absolutely beast. it shits on newer bikes except ktm, if your wanting to step away from fuel injection because the oems are douches making you buy 120$ sensors and shit everytime you ride the bike cough cough ... (yamaha, kawasaki, suzuki) then yes get one of these any thing is competitive when given the right motor/suspension knowledge, and rider.

hell jerry robin raced a 89cr250 and waxed fools
It was an 85 CR250 bruh....which makes it even MORE impressive!!

You've certainly laid out some very interesting mods I've never even come close to hearing about ...I'm gonna hot the Google machine about some of the things you mentioned, not for validity but bec I'm really intrigued as to what positive effects these changes would have on the bike.

Like many others I owned a CRF450 from the 1st gen a 2004 and the got a 2005 after riding my buddy's 2006 back in 06. I was amazed at how much lighter and more nimble the 06 felt compared to my 07 at the time so I went out and bought a heavily modded 2005 from Warren Johnson who used to work for Fox. It had EVERYTHING done to it, beautiful RG3 billet clamps, RG3 Diamond Kit suspension, full Tokyo mods engine package and a full white bros exhaust system. Unfortunately the only thing I loved about that bike was the suspension....I hated the bike otherwise bec it wa as way too molded so I went out and bought a nearly brand new 05 and sold the previous bike, but not before swapping my RG3 Diamond Kit (B kit) suspension and white bros exhaust on it and the bike was soooooo much better!! That 05 was a good bike and I rode it for a while, liked it
But had a growing dislike for how cumbersome a 450 was compared to a 250 2 stroke like my 02 CR250 that I still regret to this day for selling some 14 years ago. I tried a big bore 2007 Athena 280 CRF250 which was better but my love has always been with the 2 stroke

This gen crf450 is an excellent bike even by today's standards and I wonder what this model would be like if is had the full efi package of today's bikes bec like someone mentioned earlier, other than aesthetics, the 450's really haven't changed drastically much slide from efi
VRR7
2/6/2019 9:59am
4csHATER wrote:
I personally think this is one of the best bikes you could possibly own, if you do a carillo long rod, copper valve seatsx2 or del...
I personally think this is one of the best bikes you could possibly own, if you do a carillo long rod, copper valve seatsx2 or del west valve train, cam and vortex cdi, hinson clutch, rem / cryo tranny, and run the kx250f linkage from 2008 and 2011 kx450f forks and wheel setup on the front, this bike is absolutely beast. it shits on newer bikes except ktm, if your wanting to step away from fuel injection because the oems are douches making you buy 120$ sensors and shit everytime you ride the bike cough cough ... (yamaha, kawasaki, suzuki) then yes get one of these any thing is competitive when given the right motor/suspension knowledge, and rider.

kx250f linkage from 2008 - Could you supply more info on this mod please

The Shop

VRR7
2/6/2019 10:03am
4csHATER wrote:

I see - http://www.rg3suspension.com/p_linkages_applications.php Still sell them - Also the CRF450X linkage are also similar to the aftermarket ratios ...
erik_94COBRA
2/8/2019 11:32am
4csHATER wrote:

VRR7 wrote:
I see - http://www.rg3suspension.com/p_linkages_applications.php Still sell them - Also the CRF450X linkage are also similar to the aftermarket ratios ...
The 2008 was a great bike. I had one for quite a while, but had more fun riding my 2-strokes and sold it.

Shameless plug:
I have a full RG3 setup for sale in the classifieds from a 2008 Honda CRF450 (forks, shock, linkage).

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/For-Sale-Bazaar,26/2008-Honda-CRF450R-se…
Kenny Lingus
2/8/2019 12:46pm
I had an '05 forever. Loved it. Had a bunch of mods done to it over the years. Told myself no need to get anything newer because it wasn't that much better. Decided to buy new bike summer of '17. Looked at KTM then Honda released the '18 with electric start which what was leaning me towards the KTM. Bought the '18 Honda, really did make my '05 feel like a trail bike. Difference in power and handling was huge. I really preferred the new bike a lot over the old one. But that's just me others may like the more mellow motor and handling.
G-man
2/8/2019 1:17pm
I had an '05 forever. Loved it. Had a bunch of mods done to it over the years. Told myself no need to get anything newer...
I had an '05 forever. Loved it. Had a bunch of mods done to it over the years. Told myself no need to get anything newer because it wasn't that much better. Decided to buy new bike summer of '17. Looked at KTM then Honda released the '18 with electric start which what was leaning me towards the KTM. Bought the '18 Honda, really did make my '05 feel like a trail bike. Difference in power and handling was huge. I really preferred the new bike a lot over the old one. But that's just me others may like the more mellow motor and handling.
Which triple clamps did you have and did they make a big difference?

That's the only thing I don't like about my 06 it does not corner like the newer models.

Thanks
Kenny Lingus
2/8/2019 1:34pm
I had an '05 forever. Loved it. Had a bunch of mods done to it over the years. Told myself no need to get anything newer...
G-man wrote:
Which triple clamps did you have and did they make a big difference? That's the only thing I don't like about my 06 it does not...
Which triple clamps did you have and did they make a big difference?

That's the only thing I don't like about my 06 it does not corner like the newer models.

Thanks
They were Ride Engineering. Can't remember if they were 20 or 22. Didn't seem to make a huge difference. Was better though. Play around with fork height and sag. That's where I had luck getting the front to bite instead of push. I had a hard, intermediate and sand setting.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
2/8/2019 2:02pm
crc245 wrote:
Can't really turn it into an 08' due to ignition changes, HPSD addition, and lower crankshaft positioning, but you can get it darn close. I'd start...
Can't really turn it into an 08' due to ignition changes, HPSD addition, and lower crankshaft positioning, but you can get it darn close. I'd start with the cheap and easy fixes first: good tires, 100-104mm sag, fresh clutch and throttle cables (lubed with TriFlow overnight), and a proper carb clean/setup (likely with NCYS or NJYR needle in 3rd position, 42/45 pilot and 178/180 main; depending on temps and time of year - rich setting for our current SoCal "cold"). I'd go ahead and wire the accelerator pump arm while you're in there: https://youtu.be/HkRS9G-7yHc

If this feels good but you'd like more agile turning, 22mm clamps from 2008 CRF450's can be had for cheap on eBay or new aftermarkets are available if you're up for spending some coin on the ole' girl. For more power, grab an exhaust and higher comp piston. These had 12.0:1 comp ratios, whereas modern CRF's are at 13.5:1. Anything higher and race gas adds up quick.

Another often overlooked mod is a radiator lowering kit. Dr. D lists one for 2006+ CRF's, but they're all essentially the same (and you can even fab your own with relative ease). This lowers the water weight and does have a positive effect on this chassis.

https://www.dubachracing.com/shop/radiator-lowering-kit/

Congrats and enjoy that new to you Scoot!

Yes! I was hoping you would reply to my comment. Thank you for the tips, honestly. Never heard of the radiator lowering kit but it makes...
Yes! I was hoping you would reply to my comment. Thank you for the tips, honestly. Never heard of the radiator lowering kit but it makes a ton of sense from a physical standpoint, gonna look into it.

So turns out I wanted my pops to keep riding so I picked up an 08 today for 1900. It had all new plastics and graphics, brand new Bridgestone battle cross tires, pro circuit pipe and a bunch of other goodies. Only issue is that Its gonna have to be a track bike till I get the title figured out. No big deal, I don’t ride in the desert much these days anyways. If you guys got some tech suggestions, please! I’m all ears...

Will post some more pics when I get her cleaned up tomorrow.

Not sure if it’s nostalgia or what, but this bike felt awesome for the 2.5 minutes I rode it up n down the road. Started right up on the first kick (as it said in the craigslist description lol), brakes felt fine, no backfiring, no bog whatsoever, and turns out the suspension was done by race tech at some point. Has the stickers that say gold valeves and the spring stamp to back it up.. Can’t wait to get this thing out to the track on a rough day and see what she can do. Still thinking of what I should name her... I’m thinkin Lucy Wink lucky but without the extra k Tongue
Looks pretty clean! You didn't get it from a kid named John did you?
kiwifan
2/8/2019 2:09pm
crc245 wrote:
Please update the thread title; they’re not just good, they’re great! H4L has it right: 24mm offset from 2002-2007, then 22mm in 08’ with HPSD. (Don’t...
Please update the thread title; they’re not just good, they’re great!

H4L has it right: 24mm offset from 2002-2007, then 22mm in 08’ with HPSD. (Don’t forget, Honda pulled the 4T steering back 2mm in 2006 at the axle lugs as well, making 08’ geometry similar to original 2002-2004 fix of 20mm clamps…)

2005 is it’s own animal; 2006-2008 are much improved. Crank offset, weird frame mounted silencer mount (like a 450X), fork tube length, etc. Good info here: https://motocrossactionmag.com/2006-honda-crf450-test/

FGR01 is on the right track with the 41mm FCR, but I’d completely disagree with the statement that 07/08 are basically identical. The 08’ HPSD works, as evidenced by the fact that modern Geico bikes and Factory CRF’s still utilize them (and RC’s 04’ and Kdub’s CRF’s used them as well). The 08’ feels more nimble with the 22’s, and the mapping that changed between 1st, 2nd, and 3-5 really put the power to the ground in a usable way. Some manufacturers detuned bikes of this era with snow-cone silencer inserts (cough YZF), but the CRF remained quite potent. Similar, yes, but having ridden each back to back, they’re unique to themselves; and the 07’ was a better engine for me at the time racing 450B.

Good history here for the 08’: https://motocrossactionmag.com/2008-honda-crf450-race-test/

I’m currently on my third 2008 CRF450R and looking for a fourth; at the expense of my 17’ CRF450. Crazy, maybe, but I’m just that much more comfortable on it. Both bikes have Kit suspension and are all dialed in, but the 08’ just feels like home. Lap times are identical having ridden both back to back at my slow 30A pace.

Having tested all the 2019’s, I can honestly say that the 06’-08’ CRF’s hold their own against modern offerings (for the right rider who doesn’t necessarily need, or want, the ‘latest and greatest’). They’re stable, reliable, and have a wealth of industry backing. No, they’re not EFI and stupid crisp and responsive (hyper, even, in the case of 17-19 CRF’s) but they work (excellent!). I’m more mechanically inclined than most, and working on the 08’ is simple compared to the 17’; I’d rather keep my carb proper than d*ck with EFI hiccups, any day. Red Rider rant over Cool
brimx153 wrote:
I 100% Agree with this . I had a 07 . Put over 500hrs on it . And much rather it then a 18 Honda. I...
I 100% Agree with this . I had a 07 . Put over 500hrs on it . And much rather it then a 18 Honda. I still feel the 18 is stink bug as he'll. Not as bad as the 13 to 16 or as terrible as the 09 . But I loved the 07 and I think must people s lap times would be the same on one as a brand new bike
I disagree, the 17+ bikes are better than the previous best 08 ...yes the newer generations are tricky to setup as they are very sensitive to change but they are very very fast bikes.
snackfedbear
2/8/2019 3:08pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Looks pretty clean! You didn't get it from a kid named John did you?
Thanks man, but no not a guy named John. Unless he lied lol
H4L
2/8/2019 5:29pm
kiwifan wrote:
I disagree, the 17+ bikes are better than the previous best 08 ...yes the newer generations are tricky to setup as they are very sensitive to...
I disagree, the 17+ bikes are better than the previous best 08 ...yes the newer generations are tricky to setup as they are very sensitive to change but they are very very fast bikes.
Agree. Even the 09+ are much better bikes once set up. There is good reason why CR22 commented about the 11-12 models being one of his favorite race bikes to date. That being said I'd imagine the 17-19 HRC bikes are probably a notch above.

Post a reply to: 02-08 crf450 still good?

The Latest