memorable jumps

shaner708
5/26/2010 8:24pm
One of the biggest jumps on a national track that I have ever seen done was at Steel City. There's whats known as the Sky Coaster section which is those three doubles going around a turn at the top of the opposite hillside. Michael Byrne started tripling in practice on his KX250. The only problem was that he was fully tapped in 5th going up the long uphill and landing in a pretty sharp turn at that speed doesn't work too well. He didn't crash or anything but he couldnt stay on the track so he gave it up. The only other person to do it to my knowledge was Mike McDade during an amateur race maybe a year later. That jump is was stupid big.

The High Point tunnel jump is very cool and memorable, but its not a huge jump. The turn is what makes it impressive, 2 more feet of run and everyone would do it.

Another High Point memorable jump is RC jumping the finish line past Stewart, the slow down and scrub lost out to the never let off approach of RC. The crowds minds were blown
5/26/2010 8:27pm
bullpen58 wrote:
So NOBODY has a photo of RC jumping that jump everyone was talking about?
Can't find it must of been on the old comp, its crazy though the pic I had showed Carmichael jumping off the right of the track whipped out over top of the mechanics head with some of them looking up like WTF, you couldn't even see the landing if I remember right it was like a downhill hip jump.
shaner708
5/26/2010 8:27pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:08pm

This is a PA track named Roaring Knob, every once in a blue moon someone will huck the finish line and try to downside the table. This video he over jumps. One guy landed on top of the table, he landed so hard his bars bent down from the impact of langing
adamdf
5/26/2010 8:32pm
What was that jump Pastrana did when he was like 14 and got knocked out when he cased it? It was pretty intense and it was on one of the videos back then, not sure which one...

The Shop

adamdf
5/26/2010 8:36pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:08pm
Think it was this i was talking about...

CeeTee
5/26/2010 8:45pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:08pm
Magoo 1980 in Tahiti, doing a jump that no one else even thought possible.

This hill still to this day is know as Magoo!

MX45
5/26/2010 8:58pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:08pm
"Anyone have the video where they were quading this triple double at GL's?"
This one.
http://www.racerxonline.com/video/josh-grant.aspx.aspx

I agree with everyone's memorable jumps.
Laracco's Leap and Stewart at bithlo were also the first to come to mind when creating this thread.

Here's some other good Stewart ones. I looked for pics or vids, but most don't seem to exist.
- Stewart launching that single/single (almost double) over Davi at Freestone, TX.
- Stewart's line at US Open

Some others,
- Pretty much all of Steel Roots. But especially the hit off the side of that huge table top on Grayson Goodman's track. And of course the huge freeride step up where Metzger had to show 'em what's up.
- Cinq (RIP) and Micky Dymond in "Organ Donors" in the dunes. Cinq hits this huge razor-to-razor double. And then Micky goes for it but floats over the lip, causing him to come up a wheel short on the landing sending him front flipping through the air.
- the Watertower at Hardrock, FL. Its a cool jump to watch. But a hundred times better jumping it. It hips to the left, and you could really cut it and float over out in nowheresville. If you looked to the left it feels like you're 200 feet above the road below.

- Finally, Switchback Raceway in Pennsylvania. Rode there around 2002 and there was a double/double in the back. I heard only one other 125 guy had quad it, and of course nobody was doing it when I was there. So there was nobody to pace off of and there was no landing to triple it. Turns out it was a 5th gear straightaway for a 4th gear jump. I landed 20 feet into the turn and went over the berm into the resource pit. 4th gear worked fine after that.

5/26/2010 9:07pm
Any jump that james stewart did on a 125. I remember at the atlanta supercross the year he raced east coast watching practice, he was scrubbing the triple on the side of the track so hard that he practically went under kelly smith over it. Stewart on a 125 was the most amazing display of riding I have ever seen
AdamB
5/26/2010 9:09pm
shaner708 wrote:
This is a PA track named Roaring Knob, every once in a blue moon someone will huck the finish line and try to downside the table...

This is a PA track named Roaring Knob, every once in a blue moon someone will huck the finish line and try to downside the table. This video he over jumps. One guy landed on top of the table, he landed so hard his bars bent down from the impact of langing
Wow! This was the first place I ever raced, and I have never seen that done when I was there!
shaner708
5/26/2010 9:11pm Edited Date/Time 5/26/2010 9:13pm
MX45 wrote:
"Anyone have the video where they were quading this triple double at GL's?" This one. http://www.racerxonline.com/video/josh-grant.aspx.aspx I agree with everyone's memorable jumps. Laracco's Leap and Stewart...
"Anyone have the video where they were quading this triple double at GL's?"
This one.
http://www.racerxonline.com/video/josh-grant.aspx.aspx

I agree with everyone's memorable jumps.
Laracco's Leap and Stewart at bithlo were also the first to come to mind when creating this thread.

Here's some other good Stewart ones. I looked for pics or vids, but most don't seem to exist.
- Stewart launching that single/single (almost double) over Davi at Freestone, TX.
- Stewart's line at US Open

Some others,
- Pretty much all of Steel Roots. But especially the hit off the side of that huge table top on Grayson Goodman's track. And of course the huge freeride step up where Metzger had to show 'em what's up.
- Cinq (RIP) and Micky Dymond in "Organ Donors" in the dunes. Cinq hits this huge razor-to-razor double. And then Micky goes for it but floats over the lip, causing him to come up a wheel short on the landing sending him front flipping through the air.
- the Watertower at Hardrock, FL. Its a cool jump to watch. But a hundred times better jumping it. It hips to the left, and you could really cut it and float over out in nowheresville. If you looked to the left it feels like you're 200 feet above the road below.

- Finally, Switchback Raceway in Pennsylvania. Rode there around 2002 and there was a double/double in the back. I heard only one other 125 guy had quad it, and of course nobody was doing it when I was there. So there was nobody to pace off of and there was no landing to triple it. Turns out it was a 5th gear straightaway for a 4th gear jump. I landed 20 feet into the turn and went over the berm into the resource pit. 4th gear worked fine after that.

I know the one at Switchback! It's pretty big, they cut the run, made a small 'S" bend and put another jump before it to try to slow everything down. 450's could still do it and I saw Hepler do it on a 250f. I've only been the once though, I took a little dirt nap and woke up trapped under my bike with hot gas pouring onto my back and a few layers of skin melted onto my pipe. Had a bad feeling about that place and never went back
AdamB
5/26/2010 9:14pm
shaner708 wrote:
One of the biggest jumps on a national track that I have ever seen done was at Steel City. There's whats known as the Sky Coaster...
One of the biggest jumps on a national track that I have ever seen done was at Steel City. There's whats known as the Sky Coaster section which is those three doubles going around a turn at the top of the opposite hillside. Michael Byrne started tripling in practice on his KX250. The only problem was that he was fully tapped in 5th going up the long uphill and landing in a pretty sharp turn at that speed doesn't work too well. He didn't crash or anything but he couldnt stay on the track so he gave it up. The only other person to do it to my knowledge was Mike McDade during an amateur race maybe a year later. That jump is was stupid big.

The High Point tunnel jump is very cool and memorable, but its not a huge jump. The turn is what makes it impressive, 2 more feet of run and everyone would do it.

Another High Point memorable jump is RC jumping the finish line past Stewart, the slow down and scrub lost out to the never let off approach of RC. The crowds minds were blown
I was just at steel city 2 weekends ago and some of the guys were over jumping that first uphill double and it had me thinking about how sick a triple triple through there would be. Its hard enough just to get through that section regular because of how technical it is through the turn.
jdub347
5/26/2010 9:17pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:08pm
shaner708 wrote:
This is a PA track named Roaring Knob, every once in a blue moon someone will huck the finish line and try to downside the table...

Man, that is nuts...I found this vid of the same jump..

CeeTee
5/26/2010 9:18pm
shaner708 wrote:

That is just ridiculous!
FIREfish148
5/26/2010 9:19pm Edited Date/Time 5/26/2010 9:19pm
shaner708 wrote:

AdamB wrote:
Wow! This was the first place I ever raced, and I have never seen that done when I was there!
That down side is just stupid maybe its not a good view but the landing on it looks brutal.
MX45
5/26/2010 9:34pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:08pm
Wow, that Roaring Knob jump is psycho.

@shanner708

Now that I think about it, Switchback was one of my favorite tracks, and I only rode it once.

The infield section jumping away from the grandstands, it was a double double double single. I was able to double triple double. It wasn't big, but it was hard as hell and it was a personal accomplishment to do it.

That's a pic of the front triple at switchback. This thing was stupid big but it followed a high speed gradual sweeper. It was really hard to know when to stop turning, as such I never hit it straight. But I really wish I had a pic of what followed this triple. A step on/off with a 2 foot face. A few people were quading the whole thing, and a vet dude with cadillac suspension tried it and he did half a front flip to end his night.

Mutt
5/26/2010 9:52pm
Single to table.
teggers
5/26/2010 9:59pm Edited Date/Time 5/26/2010 10:02pm
Elevator, the first BIG jump...... Did it at 43 for the first time. I had Wood for a week. Yes, it was tons smaller than the national when they first started doing it.

See Avatar. The flagger, luckily for me, had a camera. This is actually the second time I hit it..... same moto. I am so grateful that he took this photo. The following year, it was removed.
teggers
5/26/2010 10:04pm
Mutt wrote:
Single to table.
Yup, I jumped that one too.
Balsa Wood for a week.
5/26/2010 10:09pm
Not a big jump but foir some reason the big table top at reddick always scared the shit out of me
kawirider819
5/26/2010 10:35pm

Kinda small, but this was alessi hitting holy shmidt im pretty sure, unreal
kawirider819
5/26/2010 10:39pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:08pm
O and I had to put the Mexican Triple Jump

gt80rider
5/26/2010 10:54pm
easily one of the best threads ever on vital...... props to the guys digg'n up the vids...
JW381
5/26/2010 10:58pm
gt80rider wrote:
easily one of the best threads ever on vital...... props to the guys digg'n up the vids...
I agree. Just big time hucking badassness.
NV825
Fantasy
2730th
5/26/2010 11:07pm
If anyone rode honeylake in norcal when they first opened right where the start connects to the track used to be a pretty spaced out double double. Team Suzuki came to practice some outdoors and Travis Pastrana came ripping around from the way outside of the start and somehow quaded the section with ease. He then proceeded to wheelie up the whole uphill, steep part and all. No pics or vids I believe but it definitely stands out in my mind as memorable.
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1959th
5/27/2010 12:09am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:08pm
Can't forget this one

And probably the most ridiculous of them all...

Cigaro
5/27/2010 1:45am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:08pm
MX45 wrote:
What are some of your most memorable jumps? What track and did the jump have a unique name? [b]The Elevator at Gatorback stands out to me.[/b]...
What are some of your most memorable jumps? What track and did the jump have a unique name?

The Elevator at Gatorback stands out to me.

So many memories. I remember first time I someone jump it was the '96 national. It was the biggest jump I'd ever seen. I remember imagining 'what if that same jump was a lip to lip double'. I had hear rumors after that of RC hitting it on an 80, getting a run from the field to make it. Sometime after that, the jump had shrunk down a bit, and I think moved over one lane? But eventually it was nothing to see Bubba or Davi and a handful of others 80s bust it out.
Other memories of Tyson Hadsell revving the (new back then) 4stroke to the moon. Thinking "damn, that bike is loud".
I was behind Darrol Lynn when his throttle stuck on the face (in the mud) and he went 3/4 of the way up and tried to bail for the top. He didnt make it.
Pictures of John Dowd caving in his front wheel. I think that might have been '96 also.
Or how about seeing the harescramble guys hit it with bark busters and camelbacks.
Then the day it no longer existed. And those who witnessed it forever belonging to a special club. I'm not in the club for people who jumped it. That's the one and only jump club I've ever respected enough to not belong to.
x3
You can't deny the Leap.

SMITH201
5/27/2010 5:01am
ocscottie wrote:
This might not be on the "most memorable" list, but it was pretty damn cool Chad Reed - Mt Morris clip - More Motocross Videos
This might not be on the "most memorable" list, but it was pretty damn cool

Chad Reed - Mt Morris clip - More Motocross Videos

How could I forget that! We were there and were in awe while watching Chad huck that. The video does not do its justice. That was a serious huck!
zookrider62!
Fantasy
719th
5/27/2010 6:02am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:08pm
This jump was out at a local track,only person I ever saw do it was the owners son
Photobucket

Photobucket

For some reason Freestone got rid of this jump for the pros, but it was gnarly
Photobucket
lucero10x
5/27/2010 6:05am
I know all of these leaps are pretty bad ass, but the ones on the track during races are the most bad ass. Some of those local track gaps are just as cool as the mathematically calculated mega jumps. Maybe more so.

Post a reply to: memorable jumps

The Latest