Manager of Indian Dunes 1975-1985

Dean35
9/7/2010 11:32pm
Hi Snake,
I only raced the mini track for a short bit in '82, then moved on to the big tracks for the rest of the year. I remember watching the 80 Experts back then, so I'm sure I've seen you race. Man those were good times!
buggz
10/7/2010 11:36am
#47 Troy Welty. The Weltys were the coolest family ever in existence. That's a family I miss a lot. I used to ride at their house...
#47 Troy Welty. The Weltys were the coolest family ever in existence. That's a family I miss a lot. I used to ride at their house all the time. They lived right by Mouse in Canyon Country and had a cool little track we'd all ride on. That family was a 100% motocross family.
toby lawes wrote:
danny .i used to hang out at ths weltys all the time!!!!!and at mouses house !! i remember you like it was yesterday . the picture...
danny .i used to hang out at ths weltys all the time!!!!!and at mouses house !! i remember you like it was yesterday . the picture of the #23 kaw is of me in 1979 on the mini track. do you remember johny rodrequis and criss cole???
Chris lives in Chico now following in his old mans footsteps (plastering co.), I ran into him @ LACR with his two boys and mine, says he still rides too. Does anyone remember his dad's nickname? How bout Jimmy Ryder? anyone know where he is at or what he is doing?
toby lawes
10/8/2010 2:50pm
the duck!!!!!!! right me and cris talk all the time ..his kids names are lane & tye?! his uncles name is randy cole..cole bros suziki was the familly shop! did we race togather???
toby lawes
10/8/2010 4:04pm Edited Date/Time 10/8/2010 4:06pm
toby lawes wrote:
the duck!!!!!!! right me and cris talk all the time ..his kids names are lane & tye?! his uncles name is randy cole..cole bros suziki was...
the duck!!!!!!! right me and cris talk all the time ..his kids names are lane & tye?! his uncles name is randy cole..cole bros suziki was the familly shop! did we race togather???
chris is on face book if u want to talk to him

The Shop

avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
10/20/2010 12:34pm Edited Date/Time 12/26/2010 5:56pm
#47 Troy Welty. The Weltys were the coolest family ever in existence. That's a family I miss a lot. I used to ride at their house...
#47 Troy Welty. The Weltys were the coolest family ever in existence. That's a family I miss a lot. I used to ride at their house all the time. They lived right by Mouse in Canyon Country and had a cool little track we'd all ride on. That family was a 100% motocross family.
Then you and I know each other...
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
10/20/2010 12:43pm
JACK_Schit wrote:
Gary, back then.....some times I used to lay under a blanket in the bed of the pickup truck so I wouldn't have to pay gate fee's...
Gary,

back then.....some times I used to lay under a blanket in the bed of the pickup truck so I wouldn't have to pay gate fee's at the Indian Dunes gate Sad Please forgive me.

I think I raced the last race ever on the shadow glen track?

Gary, do u have any Cycle Scene newspapers?
All we ever did was show up to the gate with a case of Budweiser and we were good to go every friday night!!! Wink
herman012
12/25/2010 1:45pm
hey hello....
i am new user in this so my first question is that who know alot..
===========================================================
Motorhomes Hire USA

5/6/2011 8:53am
Ken Lewis? My name is Dan(Danny back then) Lamb.Do you seriously talk to Steven Kotajarvi still? Him and I were practically best friends.I would love to...
Ken Lewis? My name is Dan(Danny back then) Lamb.Do you seriously talk to Steven Kotajarvi still? Him and I were practically best friends.I would love to talk to him again. The flying fin!! I loved his dad Zepo. How old are you? When did you go to Sierra Vista? I'm 38 and I went there with Willie Surrat . I was in 7th grade when Willie was in 9th. Do you remember Dan Lamb ? Both you and Toby sound so familiar but I'm so bad with names. If anyone on here remembers me and would like to talk feel free to email Dan Lamb at dandunes818@yahoo.com.
Hey, Steven's my bro! I used to hang out with your sis at Indian Dunes. Was her name Valerie? I remember spending a lot of time cruising the sand wash and the hills on my ATV. Good times!
Jim_Busby
11/14/2011 4:26pm
Hey Gary! Wow...Indian Dunes....some of the best days of my life from 13 - 17 yrs old.My name is Jim Radwick ,and from 1974 to 1978...
Hey Gary! Wow...Indian Dunes....some of the best days of my life from 13 - 17 yrs old.My name is Jim Radwick ,and from 1974 to 1978 I practically lived at Dunes.CRC on weds. nights.AME on Friday nights.Sundays on Shadow Glen or International track. I raced an xr 75 and then a couple of yz 125's (monoshock!!!how can suspension possibly get any better than this??!!).I made it to the pro class on 125's ,but didn't race much longer after that.Some names I remember.....Roxeanne Dougherty,David Lynch,Doug Spiker,A.J. Whiting,Dave Haugh,Mike Pillar,Paul Lane,Rob Peeples,Ed Armstrong,Mike Inman,Duffy Phelps,Pat Nellis, Chris and Dave Calquhoun,Mike Antes,Kenny Zahrt,Johnny Whelchel,Steve Schmidt,of course Jimmy Holley,Johnny O'mara,Billy Payne,Kenny Morgan,there was a girl named Sue something(not Fish,but I saw her there too)that we were all in love with.She rode an xr75 and broke all of our hearts when she became Dave Haugh's girlfriend.He rode a 501 Maico(as I recall) for goodness sakes,how could we mere mortals compete with that kind of machismo?Anybody remember any of these guys?Jim Busby,Glen Lichon,I'll try to think of some more. I remember when Bob Hannah was there when he first got his Yamaha factory ride....backwards day on International track.I believe he rode 2 or possibly all 3 classes(125,250,500)and he just SMOKED all the local guys that I thought were gods.I remember him jumping over somebody going up the big dropoff....INcredible.Talk to you later!!!
wow, I miss those days too some of the best times of my life. I remember when I first started @ the dunes @ the mini track and seeing Bobby Jones & Jim Holley races both tracks the mini and International track the same night on the WHITE PK HONDA 110s 4- stroke. that when 4-strokes were on there way out!!!! wow how time changes things!!! thanks for sharing ol school MX God Bless.
Jim_Busby
11/14/2011 4:38pm
Dad Dunes wrote:
Hi The Name is Gary Lamb I was asst. manager of Indian Dunes for ten years ANY QUESTIONS ??? The pic is of my son" Daniel...
Hi The Name is Gary Lamb I was asst. manager of Indian Dunes for ten years ANY QUESTIONS ??? The pic is of my son" Daniel Dunes" Lamb on the International track @ 7yrs. on his yz 60 ( that I bought from Mouse McCoys Dad Mike ) That thing was fast.....
I just want to say thank you for one GREAT Place to race !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God Bless
12/10/2012 4:32pm
Tom Corley wrote:
[img]http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss76/tomcorley/DSC_0050.jpg[/img] I had this start from the Indian Dunes Mini track and wondered if you would like to identify these riders...give it a try.

I had this start from the Indian Dunes Mini track and wondered if you would like to identify these riders...give it a try.
#43 was Jim Collier
PADDY'S LAD
5/24/2013 9:44am
Gary, thank you for always providing a properly prepped track for all of us lucky enough to have basically spent our youth at the dunes! Looking back it was a great place to grow up.I still can't believe on week days you or Walt would be grading the International track and we would stay on the track! I would just blow right by you on my 125 /250 to put in my 30 minutes.
One day I got to the front gate& walked into the trailer& Walt was leaning on the counter(it had rained for two days straight)
He said, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE? I told him I'm here to ride in the rain. He said ARE YOU EFFINCRAZY?
He told me don't kill yourself& I'll check on yah in an hour or so. He kept the park open for me that day and when I was leaving
I stopped by the trailer to thank him and he locked the slider door as I was coming up the stairs and told me to "get the hell out of here" . I took a girl there on a first date once to watch me race. 36 years two wonderful sons later she's still the girl of my dreams.

Thank you Gary
Cheers, Pat # 44 125/250 intermediate
Mr. G
3/11/2018 9:25pm
Boy, I sure got a question. Do you remember around 79 Walt Disney filmed the movie The Devil and Max Devlin there? Bill Cosbly and Elliott Gould were there on set. They had us come out to act as other riders and gave us tickets to Disney Land. Mostly a lot of standing around but it was fun.
ShawdowGlen
4/7/2021 4:00pm Edited Date/Time 4/7/2021 4:02pm
I realize I'm late to this party....but note my signature..."I was raised just off HWY 126 in the 80's."

Gary...if you're still around on the board.... a hearty "thank you" to you for your history @ Indian Dunes. It was such a huge part of my life back then. I may have ditched a few school days myself (with parents blessing) to go spend the day out there.

I was so sad when it closed. Indian Dunes had the best of everything...including the wash and the trails in the hills.

It seems like I ran umpty-billion laps on all those tracks. Shadow Glen was my favorite track. Used to love the Gran Prix races that CRC ran there too. Then...there were the Friday night races!

I have Cycle News (Tom Corley) race results clippings from a number of the races at the Dunes.

Racing there allowed me to get into the amateur stadium supercoss races at Anaheim, San Diego(Jack Murphy back then) and the L.A. Coliseum.

What a great thread of memories.

Thank you again.

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
4/14/2021 2:00pm
Wish I would have seen this thread sooner. Dunes are Carlsbad are the two places I always heard stories about and wish I could have ridden at.

Does anyone remember the name Merle Hammer from the Dunes days?
SteveUrchin
Fantasy
930th
6/2/2022 5:46am
Hello Gary, my name is Steve my family spent a lot of days at Indian dunes my Grandpa is Ed Wine his son Greg Wine (Moose), my grandpas brother Kenny Evans and his son Dustin Evans. A little early to ask but I think my grandma Barbara and her sister in law Sandy did scoring at times. I have tubs of photos from the racing they did back in the day that need to be sorted through. My grandpa passed last year but he used to tell me mouse McCoy got his nick name from my uncle Moose the announcer would say moose chasing the mouse. My uncle was a bigger kid. I need to get into those photos soon I’ve been holding out.

Post a reply to: Manager of Indian Dunes 1975-1985

The Latest