Magoo update... and My 2 cents.

5/7/2010 5:53pm
Clutchy wrote:
By now everyone knows that motocross racing legend and Icon Danny Magoo has passed away. It happend on May 4th between 11 am and 1 pm...
By now everyone knows that motocross racing legend and Icon Danny Magoo has passed away.

It happend on May 4th between 11 am and 1 pm. There will be no autopsy. He fell a sleep peacefully. It sounds as though Danny knew something was going on with his body and that he knew he wasnt well. His daughter and Billy Deprato ( Dannys long time friend and Mechanic ) have taken him and his belongings to NV where she lives.

Ther will be no services at this time. It will be private and Danny will be laid to rest next to his mom " Big Red " and His Dad on the property that he grew up on and learned to ride on in northern Ca.

People close to Danny want to get together a memorial race in Northern Ca at a place that would be beyound epic. A place that Danny and Darrell had a monster day many years ago. A day I will always remember.

How I met " The Magoo "

One night at Live Oak raceway in No Cal in 1975, this guy named Magoo had just got done showing Roy Sieler the fast way around the track and over the wall jump in the 125 expert class.

I waited at the track exit for the guy they called Magoo. I was 11 years old. Danny came off the track and started to push his steaming hot Yz 125 straight at me. As I walked next to him I asked if I could push his bike back to the pits. Wholly fuck that bike was hot and heavy. All I could think was don't drop his bike. It was huge to me. I barely made it to his van.

I started to leave and He reeled me back and said sit down. At which time I met Big Dan and Big Red. Danny's now sitting on the side of his van in his boxer shorts pouring water on his head. He then pulls out a watermelon and ask's me if I want some. I asked for some of the middle where the werent any seeds. He didnt believe me. Dont ask me how but he cut the middle of the watermelon out and shared it with me.

I introduced him to My big brother Dave. And We've been family ever since. Danny actually passed away staying with one of my brothers friends across the street from where it all started. I love you Danny and Thanks you crazy big hearted sumbitch.

In close.... My 2 cents.

Danny was like a mythical creature to some. People heard stories about this crazy red head from Northern Ca. He was bigfoot and if you hadnt seen it with your own two eyes you would'nt of believed it. Even when he didnt win he was the guy to watch. People lined the jumps crossing up they're arms. Then you knew what was coming next....
Whatever bike he was on was getting slung sideways knees out, flying higher and futher then imaginable.....

For years He was our little secret, our very own Bigfoot with red hair.
BobbyM wrote:
you didn't say couch/tool factory...sheesh
Couch/tool factory that would be who you rode for!! you were one that was always sitting Down lol It does matter what you think!!! JACK HOLE!! that's what Magoo considerd is First Factory ride!!. He loved to pull that out of his bag when asked.. it was the year before he got on his CZ
motokid40
5/7/2010 5:58pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:40pm
I loved Helvetia Park, that's where I first met Danny

You don't know how fast you can go until you crash!

5/7/2010 6:22pm Edited Date/Time 5/7/2010 6:27pm
G-man wrote:
Dang looking at this pic I realized three of these great riders are no longer with us. All fantastic riders in their own right and each...
Dang looking at this pic I realized three of these great riders are no longer with us.

All fantastic riders in their own right and each one left their mark in motorcycling that should not be lost.

RIP
Danny, Ricky and Alex.... Sad

Life is short my moto brothers...

Alex Jorgensen is very much alive. You are thinking of Toby Jorgensen, Alex's nephew who passed away a few years ago. That is Alex in my avatar on the Ron Wood Norton 750. I believe Alex is still in the Stockton area. Jorgy's Cycle Center?
5/7/2010 6:26pm Edited Date/Time 5/7/2010 6:27pm
motokid40 wrote:
I loved Helvetia Park, that's where I first met Danny You don't know how fast you can go until you crash!
I loved Helvetia Park, that's where I first met Danny

You don't know how fast you can go until you crash!

That's the First place! i seen you !!! you long haired punk. before the white ktm you had a green penton or ktm didn't you ??

The Shop

ocscottie
5/8/2010 9:20am
Damn this almost got dropped to page 3 already?

This thread it is headed to the same place Danny belongs, the HOF.
pawsan
5/8/2010 9:41am
its a real pity the circumstances this thread arose, RIP danny, but dam, it has to be the best thread i've ever read.

the stories are friggin awesome! thanks!

im just a nobody from ireland, but magoo was my boy hood hero, thats how far the legend of danny magoo chandler reached even before the internet was even heard of.

ever since seeing the photo of him racing with no footpeg and bars bent to shit when i was a kid, thats who i wanted to be like. when i crashed my brains out, got up, even if the bike was a tangled mess i tried to continue lol, and that attitude has stood me in good stead even in everyday life.

so for that magoo, sir i thank you.
Clutchy
5/8/2010 9:50am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:41pm
ocscottie wrote:

No worries scottie... I've been busy this thing will be staying around for awhile.

I'll prop it up with a stick if I have too.

Besides Kamimaze still hasnt responed to my last question.....? Yo "Good time Jimmy" or was it " Dumb Shit " do you read me are you out there man..? Over..
moto
5/8/2010 10:25am
moto wrote:
I was around 10 years old on summer break in Truckee at my parents cabin for a week. HWY 89 is in their backyard and across...
I was around 10 years old on summer break in Truckee at my parents cabin for a week. HWY 89 is in their backyard and across the street is just the forest. On the first day there, I hear this screaming 125 across the street. In the blink of an eye, I have my shoes on and running out the door to see who it was. I run across 89 and up the slope to see this buy hauling balls on a brand new CR125 with work glove, work boots, blue jeans, flannel shirt, orange open face helmet and sun glasses. I was amazed at how fast this guy was. Tracy (I assume)was standing there (she lived in Truckee) watching him. She just smiled at me as I stood there with I'm sure an awe struck look on my face. He stopped and took a gulp of water and just looked at me and said, "hey kid". I told him he was super fast and he said thanks. I asked him if he raced and he goes," Do you know who Danny Magoo Chandler is?" I was like DUH...yeah I do. He said, "That's me" I was totally awe-struck. He aske me if I rode and I said I have an XR75 right across the street. He goes, "What are you doing here without it, go get and we will race!!!!" LOL...all I could do was bolt across the street, tell my parents what I just witnessed and begged it I could ride my bike over there. My Dad got on his bike and we rode over there. Danny lapped me twice I think before I finished a lap. When we stopped again, I asked him how he went so fast and he looked at me, grinned, and just said, "Just keep the throttle wide open." Tracy then punched him in the arm and told him to be nice and give me some pointers. He then tried to explain to a 10 year old kid how to lay it over in the berms and when on the straights to always be wide open trying to grab another gear. I rode with Danny for 2 more days that week then he was off to a National somewhere.

I remember that day like it was yesterday even though it was 30 years ago and now I can barely remember what I did yesterday.

Godspeed Danny and thanks for helping a kid out. He has been my hero ever since that day.
* wrote:
That's a wonderful story.

What year?
Sorry, this was in 1980
ken10b
5/8/2010 11:17am
One of my best magoo memories is one I can barely remember.It has mor to do with his mom tho. It was at Argyll Park Danny had just picked up a Honda support ride. I pitted next to him and his mom was there and somebody else.My freinds and I were drinking and partying by the second moto I was so drunk my friends had to hold me upright on the starting line Dannys Mom was yelling at me asking me what in the hell did I think I was doing I dont remember what I said but Danny laughed, and his mom walked away disgusted with me. I must of crashed thirty times that moto. When I finally got back to the truck I layed on the ground for twenty minutes while Dannys mom lectured me about how foolish I was that I was going to Die and that I was going to take someone with me. I was pretty wasted so I dont remember everything she said. But I never rode after drinking again.
At the time you dont realize how special these moments are. The first time I saw Danny was at Sandhill ranch riding a montessa 100 in the early seventies.

Again It was an honor Danny Thank you for everything

5/8/2010 11:19am
My story is not as inspirational but I'll tell it anyway:

I'm from Northern Ca and I used to practice in some of the same areas that Danny did. We never rode together but we did meet in 2001.

I walked into Danny's apartment which was located in in Auburn, Ca. there was a kid in his early 20s there taking care of him. I suspected the kid (I thought it was his nephew but I'm not sure) was baked because I could smell pot smoke, and the kid's eyes were blazed. Danny looked depressed sitting there in front of the televison.

The apartment was dark (and kind of dank) and messy. I couldn't believe that Danny was living like that, and that nobody seemed to know or care that a true MX hero was living in poverty.

We made small talk for a while and chatted a bit about MX, but Danny seemed like he wanted to take a nap. His assistant helped him move onto the couch and I took the hint that Danny was going to chill out and take a nap After my visit of about 20 minutes, we shook hands and I left...sad and concerned. But we were not friends and it wasn't my place to "do" something about what I saw. I supposed I could have asked if I could do anything for him but I felt a little awkward. It's tough to see somebody you regard as superman sitting in a wheelchair watching Maury. I never went back to check in on him and I felt ashamed that our sport would basically ditch somebody that had given us so much.

He was an amazing spirit and we should try to keep his memory alive and never let the future individuals of our sport become ignorant about who Danny was and the type of rider and person that he was.

The Hangtown National should be renamed the "The Danny Magoo Chandler Hangtown Motocross National."

ocscottie
5/8/2010 11:24am
Dude! "The Hangtown National should be renamed the "The Danny Magoo Chandler Hangtown Motocross National."

You are really onto something there man!
Clutchy
5/8/2010 11:32am
My story is not as inspirational but I'll tell it anyway: I'm from Northern Ca and I used to practice in some of the same areas...

I'm from Northern Ca and I used to practice in some of the same areas that Danny did. We never rode together but we did meet in 2001.

I walked into Danny's apartment which was located in in Auburn, Ca. there was a kid in his early 20s there taking care of him. I suspected the kid (I thought it was his nephew but I'm not sure) was baked because I could smell pot smoke, and the kid's eyes were blazed. Danny looked depressed sitting there in front of the televison.

The apartment was dark (and kind of dank) and messy. I couldn't believe that Danny was living like that, and that nobody seemed to know or care that a true MX hero was living in poverty.

We made small talk for a while and chatted a bit about MX, but Danny seemed like he wanted to take a nap. His assistant helped him move onto the couch and I took the hint that Danny was going to chill out and take a nap After my visit of about 20 minutes, we shook hands and I left...sad and concerned. But we were not friends and it wasn't my place to "do" something about what I saw. I supposed I could have asked if I could do anything for him but I felt a little awkward. It's tough to see somebody you regard as superman sitting in a wheelchair watching Maury. I never went back to check in on him and I felt ashamed that our sport would basically ditch somebody that had given us so much.

He was an amazing spirit and we should try to keep his memory alive and never let the future individuals of our sport become ignorant about who Danny was and the type of rider and person that he was.

The Hangtown National should be renamed the "The Danny Magoo Chandler Hangtown Motocross National."

Dear Sir......
I can appreciate what your saying. Danny's life was filled with real highs and real lows. As much as I can appreciate what some people in the industry were doing for him at the time of his death. I can also sit back and wonder where the hell were they 20 years ago. But this isnt really the time or place for that........... And you are right Danny was an amazing spirit.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1398th
5/8/2010 12:02pm
My story is not as inspirational but I'll tell it anyway: I'm from Northern Ca and I used to practice in some of the same areas...

Clutchy wrote:
Dear Sir...... I can appreciate what your saying. Danny's life was filled with real highs and real lows. As much as I can appreciate what some...
Dear Sir......
I can appreciate what your saying. Danny's life was filled with real highs and real lows. As much as I can appreciate what some people in the industry were doing for him at the time of his death. I can also sit back and wonder where the hell were they 20 years ago. But this isnt really the time or place for that........... And you are right Danny was an amazing spirit.
The least we can do is learn from the past....

We need to help people like Ernesto Fonseca, Doug Henry and others.
5/8/2010 1:55pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:41pm
Clutchy wrote:
OMFG.... Are you kidding me. 4th of july, helvitia... How do you know about that...?I'm thinking Kamikaze...? Wow.... that was crazzzzyyyyy.
i didn't tell him lol!! but i did get a pretty nasty burn on the back of my neck, from a flying fire cracker that landed...
i didn't tell him lol!! but i did get a pretty nasty burn on the back of my neck, from a flying fire cracker that landed in my shirt collar that Jon Yord threw. OR WAS IT YOU CHRIS ?? Lefty says he knows what you diid in the pool that week end Whistling
Clutchy wrote:
Jimmy... I would of thrown an M80 at your ass, not a firecracker......:laugh: And get it right it was the pool table.....!!!!!!!!!! Did we really chuck...
Jimmy... I would of thrown an M80 at your ass, not a firecracker......Laughing

And get it right it was the pool table.....!!!!!!!!!!

Did we really chuck M80's at things in the river from the levee....? Shooting water 30 or 40 feet in the air.

Lmfao. I still remember the CHP haulin ass toward us and everyone jumping back over the levee.

Trying to remember who all was there.......?Probably the fastest you ever ran... Hell maybe the only time...lol

What was better then a two day at Helvitia.....
Chris The Cool Cat Gomez !! IT WAS YOU !! West Sac still has Your picture on the post office wall and ever Public Pool. within 100 miles. what were you thinking? you could of Hurt Emit (Rippen) Ramirez / Frank (Bookin ) Blake / Kevin the Rising Sun Ichimura / Good TIME Jimmy or Dumb Ass / James( Buggsy) Dickman / Kevin Cadjeau/ Steven The( Leprechaun) Vhalos and his Brother Greg (were the beer) Vhalos / Mighty Mike Holmes / Corey (The (Mx Missle) Perult and his brother Billy..David Muse Pat Piazza Jeff the string bean McCurry . Buggsy Dickman had a broken collar bone he couldn't run from the cops he hid while they spot lighted the field and the checked the old farm house for us!! OH I MEAN YOU Whistling
Oldschool
5/8/2010 7:47pm
Vic Krause brought Danny out to Byron IL in 81?
1st time I saw someone ride pinned from start to finish, corner to corner with a smile on his face the whole time !?!

LEGEND!
chumley
5/9/2010 7:09pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:43pm
More love for Danny....

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
5/9/2010 7:29pm
ocscottie wrote:

Right on Scottie, it does.
robkinuk
5/10/2010 4:02am
Report from Auburn Journal

Hall of Fame motorcycle racer “Magoo” Chandler dead at 50
By Gus Thomson, Journal Staff Writer

Danny "Magoo" Chandler
Foresthill Divide motocross racer Danny “Magoo” Chandler, whose star shone brightest on the international stage in the 1980s until a crash left him a quadriplegic, died late Tuesday. He was 50.

Longtime friend and fan Brett Freed confirmed Wednesday that Chandler died at his home in Colfax.

Chandler, an American Motorcycle Hall of Famer, was known during his short racing career as a no-holds-barred competitor who would risk life and limb to best the competition. His aggressive riding techniques included flying over other racers on jumps instead of passing around them.

Freed said Chandler knew his end was near and talked to him about his wishes in the last few months.

“He didn’t want a funeral – he wanted a race in his name,” Freed said.

News traveled fast within the tight-knit motorcycle community and Freed had already heard from an Arizona auto dealership owner who was willing to pay for whatever Chandler had wished in terms of funeral arrangements.

Chandler had a magnetic personality burnished by his successes, daring and bad boy reputation, Freed said.

One time, after a conflict with race officials, he finished a race backward on his bike, he said.

“Danny said that bad publicity wasn’t always bad publicity,” Freed said.

Chandler gained the nickname “Magoo” after the 1960s TV cartoon “Mr. Magoo” because of his propensity to crash into things and it stuck, with fans in the U.S. and Europe chanting his name at events.

Chandler’s list of victories included the prestigious U.S. 500 cc Motorcross Grand Prix. In 1982, he won both races in the Motorcross des Nations and the Trophee des Nations. The European wins in both events were a first for a rider.

Chandler’s career ended in late 1985 when he let go of his handlebars during a jump and landed off-balance during the Paris Supercross.

Paralyzed, Chandler returned to Foresthill after earning millions on the motocross circuit and from endorsements.

Over the final 20 years of his life, Chandler would lead a full life promoting races, safety and ways others with spinal chord injuries could get involved with motor sports.

Fred Sumrall, co-owner of Foresthill Valero and a chaplain with the Cross Country Racing motorcycle group, said Wednesday that he saw Chandler struggle with his limitations.

“Talk about a free spirit,” Sumrall said. “He just never could get over it. But he was an exceptional man. He loved motorcycling more than he loved life itself.”

BobbyM
5/10/2010 10:02am
a few of us saluted Magoo with a toast of some Patron before the festivities in Vegas..."thanks for the memories magoo".

TeamGreen
5/10/2010 11:24am
BobbyM wrote:
a few of us saluted Magoo with a toast of some Patron before the festivities in Vegas..."thanks for the memories magoo". [img]http://bobbymx.com/MAGOO/magoo_salute.jpg[/img]
a few of us saluted Magoo with a toast of some Patron before the festivities in Vegas..."thanks for the memories magoo".

Simply awesome
5/10/2010 12:00pm
BobbyM wrote:
a few of us saluted Magoo with a toast of some Patron before the festivities in Vegas..."thanks for the memories magoo". [img]http://bobbymx.com/MAGOO/magoo_salute.jpg[/img]

Right on Bobby !!!! Thanks for the Picture. I will keep this picture for ever.
5/10/2010 12:01pm
Right on Bobby !!!! Thanks for the Picture. I will keep this picture forever.
BobbyM
5/10/2010 10:45pm
Right on Bobby !!!! Thanks for the Picture. I will keep this picture forever.
sure thing shit for brains...you can keep it twice if you want. SmileWink

robkinuk
5/11/2010 2:06am
Got this great e-mail from Ross Maeda I had to share!

Rob:
Thank you for the email with Magoo photos. I remember back in the late 70's when I was racing local 125 pro class in Southern California, my friends and I would occassionally travel up to Northern California to go race because the promoters up there always paid better prize money. I had gone up enough to know most of the fast guys, and I'd often heard them talk about some wild kid named "Magoo". Supposedly, he was this tiny, red-headed kid that rode really crazy and would crash his brains out, but was super fast! I remember being on the line at some race and I saw him on a KTM. I was starting next to Paul Turner, who would later become Steve Wise's factory Honda mechanic and also start Rock Shox with Steve Simons. I leaned over to Paul and asked him:"Is that the "Magoo" kid? The one that crashes all the time?" and Paul replied:"yeah, he eats shit BIG!....but he does the coolest looking cross ups I've ever seen!". I remember that he crashed out of the first moto and broke his bike. I remember later seeing a picture of him in Cycle News riding a YZ125 monoshock with the triangular part of the swingarm taped up solid with silver duct tape! I don't know what that was about! I also later saw some unreal picture of him completely sideways off a big jump, looking in control, but I thought there's no way he could have landed that!! The next year, 1978, I was working for KYB at the 125 national at Escape Country in Southern California, and I saw Magoo lead the first moto in front of Broc Glover for a while on an RM125. Racing a production bike against works bikes back then was huge disadvantage, but he was going for it! Something I remember about him was that unlike alot of racers at the time, he would always show up on different displacement bikes: one week a 125, then the next on a 500! I saw him at a Golden State Series race at Indian Dunes on a 400 Maico riding on the walls on the side of the track, holding it wide open criss-crossing all the deep mud ruts. I could see that he was fast and crazy, but the one thing that really impressed me was a story I heard from Danny LaPorte, while he was a factory rider for Suzuki. Danny and I were talking, and Magoo's name came up, and Danny's eyes got all wide! He said that Magoo was SUPER FAST, and if he could stop crashing, no one could beat him. These were strong words coming from Danny, who was easily one of the fastest riders in the US at the time. Hide Sezaki was the team coordinator at the time, and Danny said:"Hide! Do you remember the first moto at (I don't remember what national it was)? I had crashed in the first turn, and I got up and came back to 2nd place. I remember I picked my bike up in a panic and started riding as fast and crazy as I could, taking incredible chances every where trying to make up time. Well, while I was coming through the pack, that Magoo kid passed me twice!! He had crashed with me in the first turn, got up behind me, and just zapped me down a hill and pulled away! Then I came around a corner, and he was running down the track to his bike that was upside down about 50 feet away! Then about 5 laps later, he zapped me again!! He pulled away from me again, and I saw him a little while later on the side of the track furiously kicking his bike with no visor on his helmet! I ended up catching up to second, but Magoo was smoking me!".

Ross....
1/10/2011 8:20pm
hey any body know if magoo shirts are avalible i would apreacate any help getting some before hangtown this yr RIP DANNY
Clutchy
5/4/2011 6:35pm
I love you Danny................... We'll see you again.

Post a reply to: Magoo update... and My 2 cents.

The Latest