Magoo update... and My 2 cents.

Tiki
Fantasy
1670th
5/7/2010 9:32am
I think this was a blow to everyone. Danny's smile is something that immediately comes to mind when I think of him. It was mischievous, glowing and friendly.

I realize many of you in the Nor Cal area are super tight and this is losing a brother. I am thinking about you all and hope everyone can get through this remembering Magoo with his same type of smile and a laugh as you think about the good times and good memories.

Thank you for sharing your stories.

robkinuk
5/7/2010 9:42am
BobbyM wrote:
dude...thanks. i am going to bring a bottle to LV tomorrow and anybody that wants to toast one to danny let's meet near the H&H pits...
dude...thanks. i am going to bring a bottle to LV tomorrow and anybody that wants to toast one to danny let's meet near the H&H pits at 6pm. my cell is 480-239-1824
Bobby,
Raise a glass to Danny for me. Send me a e-mail with your address again. I'll have to hook you up with one of the Magoo t-shirts for the USGP. Let me know your size too?

Thanks everyone for sharing your memories of Danny, Godspeed Magoo!
SouthwestMfg
5/7/2010 9:42am Edited Date/Time 5/7/2010 9:50am
Wow, great stories..... I can't recall talking to anyone who new "Magoo" and did not have a Magoo story.

The picture of Danny on the #34 Honda (above post) has been posted by many on many threads here. This picture is on Danny's web site, the first time I checked out his site I could not believe this shot was there. It's an old scratched up photo scanned to digital. It says a lot about Danny that all have already said, he did not care about being a star, he cared about being a "Racer". A "star" would have lost a shot like this long ago, not Magoo.

What has been said is so true, Danny raced the whole race, win or loose and this photo captures that. I have not seen the story of this picture posted yet. This is from Southwick Mass. MX 338, fantastic track that has been on the national circuit for years. In 1982 Danny was a factory Honda rider, along with Chuck Sun, Darrell Shultz and Phil Larson they where the riders for the 500cc class that year (yes four 500 works bikes - imagine that). This was my first opportunity to mechanic on the nationals with nor-cal rider Eric McKenna (thanks for the job "Iron-Man"!).

So this is at Southwick, first 500 national of the series, I'm %99 sure this is the last-chance qualifier. Danny had trouble (crashed?) in the first qualifier so he had to dot the last chance. I remember making a point to watch the last chance because I knew Danny still had to qualify for the national. First or second lap Magoo comes by at the back of the pack with the bars bent, hanging onto the cross bar on the clutch side cause the rest can't be used (folded down to far), but Danny's still racing hard with 2/3 of the bars left. He needs to be top six to make the national, he rides all the way to the flag, no stopping / pulling off, he's here to race. He did not qualify; he has to see the first national of the season from the side of the track.

The next national of the season, Road Atlanta, Danny qualifies no problem. Danny wins the first moto (first career national moto win), the second moto, Danny holeshots and..... Shultz is running second. So you nor-cal guys know the stories above, epic Shultz, Magoo and others bar-banging races. Shultz moves in on Danny, passes him, Danny stays calm and keeps his pace. Darrell wins the moto, Danny wins the overall, his first National win. Two nationals, two results, same Danny.

Lots more memories from 1982, especially about Danny. Most of you knew Danny for years; the "World" got to know a little bit about Danny after 1982.

The Shop

robkinuk
5/7/2010 10:04am
Since Magoo's passing, I've been asked by lots of fans if we can produce another batch
of Magoo t-shirts.
Please e-mail me at robakinsey@hotmail.com if you want to reserve one. Available in sand colour as shown in M, L, X/L , XX/L and XXX/L sizes.
T-shirts are Gildan heavywweight Ultra tees, weight 195-205g/m, 100% preshrunk jersey cotton.

Size To Fit (Ins)

M 38-40

L 42-44

X/L 46-48

XX/L 50-52

XXX/L 54-56

Price is £25 plus £5 airmail shipping worldwide.
We will donate £7 from each shirt sale to www.riderdown.org as a fundraiser.

Front

Rear

I'm also looking into doing some hoodies with same design. Prices TBA.
Let me know if your interested.
5/7/2010 10:58am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:40pm
I've been good friends with Danny since I was 7yo. not many of you can say they seen Magoo race the mini class Hell !! I've seen him race is sister Tammy's (aka Blackie) 60 mini endoro my first race i was on the starting line watching the race before mine it was the bigger kids class. i watched Danny and RoySieler battle and Magoo cart wheelied His Steens right in to the starting area, he jumped up got his bike and caught Sieler and still won. leading up to my first race my dads friend kept telling me, that a little girl was going to win? I kept telling him know little girls race. he was just kidding me!! but when i got there sure enough Blackie was there and won all Three Moto's !! yes three Moto's in those days. One moto she didn't buckle her helmet and it feel off, Magoo and Big Dan were chasing after her, trying to stop her to get her helmet back on her, she wouldn't stop!! she went a whole lap and a half before she stopped and she still won. I got second, when got home my dad's friend ask who won? I replied a Little Girl!! to this day he still Doesn't believe me..lol..... WHERE EVER YOU ARE ? OR WHAT EVER YOUR DOING? LOOK TO THE SKY AT 7pm pst TO HONOR DANNY IN WHAT EVER WAY YOU LIKE? COME ON!! PEOPLE BRING IT ! HE LOVED HIS FANS AND FRIENDS. COME ON!! LET HIM HEAR THE ROAR OF HIS FANS ONE MORE TIME

MAGOO WE SALUTE YOU !!.

BobbyM
5/7/2010 11:11am
Sorry about all the crappy punctuation!! I hope you can read itBlush
looks like you started the salute a day early....hehehe
G-man
5/7/2010 11:13am
Great Stories guys—keep them coming. And that’s a cool vid Scottie and very true. Today’s riders would want no part of that dusty un-prepped track and would be complaining. Saddleback use to get like that too, but that’s all we knew and it was accepted.

Which is my segway to my Magoo Story.

I’m not sure of the year (81, 82?), but Danny was on a Maico that wasn’t in the same league as the Factory Works Japanese bikes of that era. But that didn’t matter to Danny as he literally rode the wheels off it.

Anyway that year in the back section there were two step-up jumps going up the levee. I don’t think the track builders had any clue on what would happen in practice. But word had spread that Magoo had leaped them in one jump! To his credit I do believe that Danny Magoo Chandler was the first motocrosser to do a true “DOUBLE JUMP”. Woohoo

Sure enough when the gate dropped the first moto there was Danny riding the underpowered Maico WFO with a holeshot. I don’t recall how he ended up (I think he DNF’d) but there was also something else that happened significant at that track the next year.

Saddleback incorporated the hillside and they went straight up a really steep incline crossed over a road and kept going up. Some guys were doubling it too. Anyway Magoo crashed on the hill and stalled his bike. There was no way to start it so he waited till traffic had cleared and bump started his bike going down, did a power doughnut at the bottom and wheeled back up the hill much to the delight of the fans who cheered wildly.

After the race the AMA in their infinite wisdom penalized Chandler for riding the track backwards and the result was this picture at Unadilla as his way as saying FU! lol

Laughing

You will never be forgotten Magoo.

5/7/2010 11:30am
moto wrote:
I was around 10 years old on summer break in Truckee at my parents cabin for a week. HWY 89 is in their backyard and across...
I was around 10 years old on summer break in Truckee at my parents cabin for a week. HWY 89 is in their backyard and across the street is just the forest. On the first day there, I hear this screaming 125 across the street. In the blink of an eye, I have my shoes on and running out the door to see who it was. I run across 89 and up the slope to see this buy hauling balls on a brand new CR125 with work glove, work boots, blue jeans, flannel shirt, orange open face helmet and sun glasses. I was amazed at how fast this guy was. Tracy (I assume)was standing there (she lived in Truckee) watching him. She just smiled at me as I stood there with I'm sure an awe struck look on my face. He stopped and took a gulp of water and just looked at me and said, "hey kid". I told him he was super fast and he said thanks. I asked him if he raced and he goes," Do you know who Danny Magoo Chandler is?" I was like DUH...yeah I do. He said, "That's me" I was totally awe-struck. He aske me if I rode and I said I have an XR75 right across the street. He goes, "What are you doing here without it, go get and we will race!!!!" LOL...all I could do was bolt across the street, tell my parents what I just witnessed and begged it I could ride my bike over there. My Dad got on his bike and we rode over there. Danny lapped me twice I think before I finished a lap. When we stopped again, I asked him how he went so fast and he looked at me, grinned, and just said, "Just keep the throttle wide open." Tracy then punched him in the arm and told him to be nice and give me some pointers. He then tried to explain to a 10 year old kid how to lay it over in the berms and when on the straights to always be wide open trying to grab another gear. I rode with Danny for 2 more days that week then he was off to a National somewhere.

I remember that day like it was yesterday even though it was 30 years ago and now I can barely remember what I did yesterday.

Godspeed Danny and thanks for helping a kid out. He has been my hero ever since that day.
That's a wonderful story.

What year?
5/7/2010 11:33am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:40pm
Sorry about all the crappy punctuation!! I hope you can read itBlush
BobbyM wrote:
looks like you started the salute a day early....hehehe
No I shouldn't of cut engilish class to go out to west sac and ride with Danny/ Shultzs/ Mckenna. JUST CALL ME GOOD TIME JIMMY or DUMB ASS...Whistling
TeamGreen
5/7/2010 11:54am
Simply awesome...How Danny's brought all these people out of the wood-work.

This has been a pretty damn emotional week for some of us...I know I tear up.

I hope you all understand that those emotions are part of the gift that you got from knowing him...
ocscottie
5/7/2010 12:19pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:40pm
Here is another very cool Magoo vid i didnt even realize i had uploaded in my profile. Its from "The Legacy of Motocross" DVD, RJ, Wardy and The Man siting around a campfire talking about riders. Very cool!

Magoo Bailey Hannah - Legacy - More Motocross Videos

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
5/7/2010 12:56pm
What was Magoo's first factory ride ?????
KTM, or the support Yamaha before then, right?
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
5/7/2010 1:00pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:40pm
Just saw this added to the Sacramento Bee's update webpage, and I'd expect to see something more in print the next couple days:

Former motocross racer Danny 'Magoo' Chandler dies

bdavila@sacbee.com

PUBLISHED FRIDAY, MAY. 07, 2010

Danny "Magoo" Chandler, a Placer County resident who rose to fame as a world championship motocross racer, died Tuesday of illness related to a 1985 crash that left him paralyzed. He was 50.

Chandler was a dominant force in motocross after turning pro in 1976. With a hard-charging racing style that enabled him to soar higher than just about anyone who mounted a two-wheeler, he was a fan favorite.

"My dad always said, 'If you don't win the race, you better win their hearts,'" he told The Bee in 1995.

Chandler's biggest year in racing was 1982, when he captured the U.S. 500cc Grand Prix at Carlsbad, the ABC-TV Superbikers crown and all four motos in the European Motocross des Nations and the Trophee des Nations. His other wins included the 1983 Hangtown Motocross Classic.

His career ended prematurely in 1985, when he spilled his motorcycle after a qualifying race in France for a supercross event on the European circuit. He broke his neck and was paralyzed.

After his injury, he promoted mountain-bike races and volunteered with DARE, a drug-awareness program for schools. He also helped organize visits by top motorcycle racers to children's hospitals through his International Riders Helping People organization.

Chandler was born in Sacramento in 1959. He grew up in a motorcycle racing family in Foresthill and began competing by age 9.

http://www.sacbee.com/...cer-danny-magoo.html

5/7/2010 1:52pm
There may be some m80 stories that crop up here and there . . .
Clutchy wrote:
OMFG.... Are you kidding me. 4th of july, helvitia... How do you know about that...?I'm thinking Kamikaze...? Wow.... that was crazzzzyyyyy.
i didn't tell him lol!! but i did get a pretty nasty burn on the back of my neck, from a flying fire cracker that landed in my shirt collar that Jon Yord threw. OR WAS IT YOU CHRIS ?? Lefty says he knows what you diid in the pool that week end Whistling
ocscottie
5/7/2010 2:09pm
"A picture tells a 1000 words" and this one nails them all:
TG130
5/7/2010 2:14pm
Just saw this added to the Sacramento Bee's update webpage, and I'd expect to see something more in print the next couple days: Former motocross racer...
Just saw this added to the Sacramento Bee's update webpage, and I'd expect to see something more in print the next couple days:

Former motocross racer Danny 'Magoo' Chandler dies

bdavila@sacbee.com

PUBLISHED FRIDAY, MAY. 07, 2010

Danny "Magoo" Chandler, a Placer County resident who rose to fame as a world championship motocross racer, died Tuesday of illness related to a 1985 crash that left him paralyzed. He was 50.

Chandler was a dominant force in motocross after turning pro in 1976. With a hard-charging racing style that enabled him to soar higher than just about anyone who mounted a two-wheeler, he was a fan favorite.

"My dad always said, 'If you don't win the race, you better win their hearts,'" he told The Bee in 1995.

Chandler's biggest year in racing was 1982, when he captured the U.S. 500cc Grand Prix at Carlsbad, the ABC-TV Superbikers crown and all four motos in the European Motocross des Nations and the Trophee des Nations. His other wins included the 1983 Hangtown Motocross Classic.

His career ended prematurely in 1985, when he spilled his motorcycle after a qualifying race in France for a supercross event on the European circuit. He broke his neck and was paralyzed.

After his injury, he promoted mountain-bike races and volunteered with DARE, a drug-awareness program for schools. He also helped organize visits by top motorcycle racers to children's hospitals through his International Riders Helping People organization.

Chandler was born in Sacramento in 1959. He grew up in a motorcycle racing family in Foresthill and began competing by age 9.

http://www.sacbee.com/...cer-danny-magoo.html

Finally. I've been searching the Bee for the last few days hoping that they would at least mention that Magoo had passed.
G-man
5/7/2010 2:57pm
Dang looking at this pic I realized three of these great riders are no longer with us.

All fantastic riders in their own right and each one left their mark in motorcycling that should not be lost.

RIP
Danny, Ricky and Alex.... Sad

Life is short my moto brothers...

5/7/2010 5:14pm
What was Magoo's first factory ride ?????
It was Called a Bird on the tank was the Middle Finger , it had a 100cc McCullough chain saw engine auto , with a pull start Danny and Scotty Henry rode for LevItz power tools and yamaha, in rancho cordova in 1973 McCullough made them bikes!! and they traveled a round to the first mini nationals they ever had. I was at the first national, in Washington at Straddle Line Cycle Park. It was pouring rain, Danny was hauling Ass as always.. about ever half a lap his chain would come off, he'd jump of put it back on give it a couple of pulls and off he'd go!! he did that the whole race dicing back and forth with Scotty Henry, he never gave up and i think won the first mini national ever that day !! he claims he did lol. I was there but i was 8 yo one
of them won. I remember going back to there motel room to take a shower that night my parents and I were staying in a trailer at the track Hank Henry and Big Dan took us kids back to get us cleaned up and warm. i do remember two huge trophys there i was in awe with! . we all went out to pizza that night. and the next day we all took a tour of olympia brewery. sample beer for the dads root beers for the kids!!! GOOD TIMES
BobbyM
5/7/2010 5:30pm
Clutchy wrote:
By now everyone knows that motocross racing legend and Icon Danny Magoo has passed away. It happend on May 4th between 11 am and 1 pm...
By now everyone knows that motocross racing legend and Icon Danny Magoo has passed away.

It happend on May 4th between 11 am and 1 pm. There will be no autopsy. He fell a sleep peacefully. It sounds as though Danny knew something was going on with his body and that he knew he wasnt well. His daughter and Billy Deprato ( Dannys long time friend and Mechanic ) have taken him and his belongings to NV where she lives.

Ther will be no services at this time. It will be private and Danny will be laid to rest next to his mom " Big Red " and His Dad on the property that he grew up on and learned to ride on in northern Ca.

People close to Danny want to get together a memorial race in Northern Ca at a place that would be beyound epic. A place that Danny and Darrell had a monster day many years ago. A day I will always remember.

How I met " The Magoo "

One night at Live Oak raceway in No Cal in 1975, this guy named Magoo had just got done showing Roy Sieler the fast way around the track and over the wall jump in the 125 expert class.

I waited at the track exit for the guy they called Magoo. I was 11 years old. Danny came off the track and started to push his steaming hot Yz 125 straight at me. As I walked next to him I asked if I could push his bike back to the pits. Wholly fuck that bike was hot and heavy. All I could think was don't drop his bike. It was huge to me. I barely made it to his van.

I started to leave and He reeled me back and said sit down. At which time I met Big Dan and Big Red. Danny's now sitting on the side of his van in his boxer shorts pouring water on his head. He then pulls out a watermelon and ask's me if I want some. I asked for some of the middle where the werent any seeds. He didnt believe me. Dont ask me how but he cut the middle of the watermelon out and shared it with me.

I introduced him to My big brother Dave. And We've been family ever since. Danny actually passed away staying with one of my brothers friends across the street from where it all started. I love you Danny and Thanks you crazy big hearted sumbitch.

In close.... My 2 cents.

Danny was like a mythical creature to some. People heard stories about this crazy red head from Northern Ca. He was bigfoot and if you hadnt seen it with your own two eyes you would'nt of believed it. Even when he didnt win he was the guy to watch. People lined the jumps crossing up they're arms. Then you knew what was coming next....
Whatever bike he was on was getting slung sideways knees out, flying higher and futher then imaginable.....

For years He was our little secret, our very own Bigfoot with red hair.
you didn't say couch/tool factory...sheesh
Clutchy
5/7/2010 5:42pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:40pm
There may be some m80 stories that crop up here and there . . .
Clutchy wrote:
OMFG.... Are you kidding me. 4th of july, helvitia... How do you know about that...?I'm thinking Kamikaze...? Wow.... that was crazzzzyyyyy.
i didn't tell him lol!! but i did get a pretty nasty burn on the back of my neck, from a flying fire cracker that landed...
i didn't tell him lol!! but i did get a pretty nasty burn on the back of my neck, from a flying fire cracker that landed in my shirt collar that Jon Yord threw. OR WAS IT YOU CHRIS ?? Lefty says he knows what you diid in the pool that week end Whistling
Jimmy... I would of thrown an M80 at your ass, not a firecracker......Laughing

And get it right it was the pool table.....!!!!!!!!!!

Did we really chuck M80's at things in the river from the levee....? Shooting water 30 or 40 feet in the air.

Lmfao. I still remember the CHP haulin ass toward us and everyone jumping back over the levee.

Trying to remember who all was there.......?Probably the fastest you ever ran... Hell maybe the only time...lol

What was better then a two day at Helvitia.....

Post a reply to: Magoo update... and My 2 cents.

The Latest