Magoo update... and My 2 cents.

Clutchy
Edited Date/Time 5/5/2020 4:40pm
By now everyone knows that motocross racing legend and Icon Danny Magoo has passed away.

It happend on May 4th between 11 am and 1 pm. There will be no autopsy. He fell a sleep peacefully. It sounds as though Danny knew something was going on with his body and that he knew he wasnt well. His daughter and Billy Deprato ( Dannys long time friend and Mechanic ) have taken him and his belongings to NV where she lives.

Ther will be no services at this time. It will be private and Danny will be laid to rest next to his mom " Big Red " and His Dad on the property that he grew up on and learned to ride on in northern Ca.

People close to Danny want to get together a memorial race in Northern Ca at a place that would be beyound epic. A place that Danny and Darrell had a monster day many years ago. A day I will always remember.

How I met " The Magoo "

One night at Live Oak raceway in No Cal in 1975, this guy named Magoo had just got done showing Roy Sieler the fast way around the track and over the wall jump in the 125 expert class.

I waited at the track exit for the guy they called Magoo. I was 11 years old. Danny came off the track and started to push his steaming hot Yz 125 straight at me. As I walked next to him I asked if I could push his bike back to the pits. Wholly fuck that bike was hot and heavy. All I could think was don't drop his bike. It was huge to me. I barely made it to his van.

I started to leave and He reeled me back and said sit down. At which time I met Big Dan and Big Red. Danny's now sitting on the side of his van in his boxer shorts pouring water on his head. He then pulls out a watermelon and ask's me if I want some. I asked for some of the middle where the werent any seeds. He didnt believe me. Dont ask me how but he cut the middle of the watermelon out and shared it with me.

I introduced him to My big brother Dave. And We've been family ever since. Danny actually passed away staying with one of my brothers friends across the street from where it all started. I love you Danny and Thanks you crazy big hearted sumbitch.

In close.... My 2 cents.

Danny was like a mythical creature to some. People heard stories about this crazy red head from Northern Ca. He was bigfoot and if you hadnt seen it with your own two eyes you would'nt of believed it. Even when he didnt win he was the guy to watch. People lined the jumps crossing up they're arms. Then you knew what was coming next....
Whatever bike he was on was getting slung sideways knees out, flying higher and futher then imaginable.....

For years He was our little secret, our very own Bigfoot with red hair.
|
500guy
5/6/2010 1:22pm
Sorry for your loss Man. Goodspeed Magoo
Clutchy
5/6/2010 1:24pm
500guy wrote:
Sorry for your loss Man. Goodspeed Magoo
We all loss...... I just had the of privalige of being a good friend for many years. And wanted to have some closure and share a story and update on what was going on.
Clutchy
5/6/2010 1:28pm
Very Cool Chris!!!!!Wink
Thanks Jimmy.................... I would love to see you some day soon. I wouldnt trade what we had as kids for all the riches in the world.....

The Shop

BobbyM
5/6/2010 1:37pm
damn chrissy....sad day indeed, hang in man.

got me a ton of magoo stories too but i'm afraid to even type them at this time, not sure i can do it.
Clutchy
5/6/2010 1:41pm Edited Date/Time 5/6/2010 1:43pm
In some ways it was easy bob... It made me smile and cry to think about. At some point I want everyone to at least share one Magoo story in this thread..... So go get some fugging tissue and make it happen..... Captain spermbeard...... You too Kamikaze.....!
Clutchy
5/6/2010 1:42pm
Oh yeah.... Love you guys...
500guy
5/6/2010 1:43pm
Clutchy wrote:
In some ways it was easy bob... It made me smile and cry to think about. At some point I want everyone to at least share...
In some ways it was easy bob... It made me smile and cry to think about. At some point I want everyone to at least share one Magoo story in this thread..... So go get some fugging tissue and make it happen..... Captain spermbeard...... You too Kamikaze.....!
Right on Chris

Thanks for the memories.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
5/6/2010 1:47pm
Sears in 78 was a monster day for Darrell and Danny. I told Darrell after "thanks for making NorCal proud," and he replied "I guess me and the red haired guy did it." He was railing turns about a foot up on the snow fence.

One of my favorite Magoo memories was watching him and Shultz absolutely pummel each other at Plymouth on a spring afternoon. They clearly were having a great time, way out in front, and just ramming the hell out of each other in every deep, sandy corner.

It was a great time and place to grow up loving MX. Magoo was such a huge part of that.

Chris, the first time I saw Magoo was in 75, too, at Sand Hill. He was thowing both hands off the bars off the double downhill until one time he went over the bar and belly-flopped from about two stories up.

Other moments, the Trans AMA (in 79 I think) at Sears Point, throwing whips out over the fence with his rear wheel over the heads of the fans. I don't remember who won the race, and he wasn't close to the fence, but people were running from fence to fence to watch him like the gallery following Tiger Woods at a gold match.

And my favorite may be the 79 Hangtown National, the first year at Prairie City (the track was a bit different then, the start heading out to where you now come into the pro pits and looping back across the side of the hill under what's now vendor's row). One moto he crashed with a guy off the line. He went back to see how the guy was and got going just in front of Hannah and proceeded to stay there, but not holding him up. The AMA guys gave him whatever the equivalent of the blue flag was as he came back across the start straight, and he responded with a one-handed wheelie the length of the straight flashing them the peace sign.

He loved racing and loved the fans and the fans love him. The only riders IMO who've even approached having that same relationship with the fans were Travis and Guy Cooper.

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
5/6/2010 1:48pm
There may be some m80 stories that crop up here and there . . .
5/6/2010 1:54pm Edited Date/Time 5/6/2010 1:55pm
Very cool stories. I know there are more and I and am sure many others would like to hear more of them if you guys would be so kind to share.
Clutchy
5/6/2010 1:57pm Edited Date/Time 5/6/2010 2:27pm
There may be some m80 stories that crop up here and there . . .
OMFG.... Are you kidding me. 4th of july, helvitia... How do you know about that...?I'm thinking Kamikaze...? Wow.... that was crazzzzyyyyy.
DanDunes818
5/6/2010 2:02pm
I had the pleasure of watching Magoo race probably 30x's-40x's and I've watched him practice and test probably a few more times then that. When my dad managed Indian Dunes he would always know ahead of time when the factory guys were coming to test and/or do photo shoots out there. My dad knew who my favorite racers were Johhny O, Hansen,Bailey,Chandler, and Mike Bell and if any one them were coming out he'd usually pull me out of school for a day at the Dunes. Bailey,Hansen and Omara's home base was so cal so they were out there allot but Danny not quite as much so it was way more special when Danny showed up.. I lived in Simi Valley back then so I would also get to see Danny out at the Honda test track when he road for Honda quite a bit too. I told the story before about meeting Danny in another thread and I'll never forget the sound of the 500 he was on that day behind me pushing me on International track for 5-6 laps with me on my 1981 yz60. When you're on a 60 you know a 500 is right there.I couldn't get over the fact that I had Magoo (the man the myth,the legend) behind me pushing me to go faster. I was flying those 5 6 laps with a shit eating grin on my face. When he left his pits and walked over to tell me what I was doing wrong or right I still remember that feeling I had as he walked over. That are you serious Danny Magoo Chandler is going to talk to me feeling. I'm pretty sure I even looked around to see if he was coming to talk to someone else. But I was the only one around.
ocscottie
5/6/2010 2:12pm
Clutchy, i love you man, like i said to Bobby in the other thread, we all gotta stay strong and moto on like Danny would want us to. i will for sure share some stories after a little rest, i just spent the last few hours sitting in front of the computer doing Vital updates, the Bad Brad one was another tough one. it all hasnt even began to sink in yet.
Rupert X
5/6/2010 2:20pm

Thanks so much for letting us in - very cool.

Magoo was something special.
tatonka
5/6/2010 2:31pm
Thanks for sharing this stuff Clutchy...I never got to see Danny race in person but followed him in the mags and on the tube. Finally got to meet the guy in '06 when RDF brought him down to Glen Helen and we've been working together ever since. His bench racing versions of some of the stories that you guys are telling were awesome. I can only imagine what growing up with him would have been like!!
txmxer
5/6/2010 2:31pm
Rupert X wrote:

same here. I've never been close to these legends, but your stories bring us all closer.

Thanks for sharing.
5/6/2010 2:32pm
ocscottie wrote:
Clutchy, i love you man, like i said to Bobby in the other thread, we all gotta stay strong and moto on like Danny would want...
Clutchy, i love you man, like i said to Bobby in the other thread, we all gotta stay strong and moto on like Danny would want us to. i will for sure share some stories after a little rest, i just spent the last few hours sitting in front of the computer doing Vital updates, the Bad Brad one was another tough one. it all hasnt even began to sink in yet.
I guess I should have added when you get a chance and feel up to it.
dr516
5/6/2010 2:38pm
I was a big fan as a kid had his posters in my room and watched him race a hand full of times. But after reading about him as a person and the friends that love him. I am an even bigger fan.
TG130
5/6/2010 2:40pm
Sears in 78 was a monster day for Darrell and Danny. I told Darrell after "thanks for making NorCal proud," and he replied "I guess me...
Sears in 78 was a monster day for Darrell and Danny. I told Darrell after "thanks for making NorCal proud," and he replied "I guess me and the red haired guy did it." He was railing turns about a foot up on the snow fence.

One of my favorite Magoo memories was watching him and Shultz absolutely pummel each other at Plymouth on a spring afternoon. They clearly were having a great time, way out in front, and just ramming the hell out of each other in every deep, sandy corner.

It was a great time and place to grow up loving MX. Magoo was such a huge part of that.

Chris, the first time I saw Magoo was in 75, too, at Sand Hill. He was thowing both hands off the bars off the double downhill until one time he went over the bar and belly-flopped from about two stories up.

Other moments, the Trans AMA (in 79 I think) at Sears Point, throwing whips out over the fence with his rear wheel over the heads of the fans. I don't remember who won the race, and he wasn't close to the fence, but people were running from fence to fence to watch him like the gallery following Tiger Woods at a gold match.

And my favorite may be the 79 Hangtown National, the first year at Prairie City (the track was a bit different then, the start heading out to where you now come into the pro pits and looping back across the side of the hill under what's now vendor's row). One moto he crashed with a guy off the line. He went back to see how the guy was and got going just in front of Hannah and proceeded to stay there, but not holding him up. The AMA guys gave him whatever the equivalent of the blue flag was as he came back across the start straight, and he responded with a one-handed wheelie the length of the straight flashing them the peace sign.

He loved racing and loved the fans and the fans love him. The only riders IMO who've even approached having that same relationship with the fans were Travis and Guy Cooper.

Indeed, that Sears Point Trans AMA race in 1978 was a HUGE day for Nor Cal MX. Home track, home boys dominate - it doesn't get any better than that.

This race was all the more special for me as it was the very first AMA pro national caliber event that I had ever attended. Great memories.
Highsider
5/6/2010 2:40pm
Rupert X wrote:

Same goes for me.
Clutchy
5/6/2010 2:44pm
Thanks guys and its my pleasure. Its actually helping me deal with whats going on. Kind of a support group. Now if we can get Bobbym and Kamikaze to share and I might even share the M80 story.
Dono861
5/6/2010 2:47pm
man i just chatted with him in nor cal when i was up there for Jan from eurocycles memorial. as a kid growing up in nor cal obviously he was a legend who was accessible and what a treat. i heard stories from parents, about him using milk cartoons on starting gates. a memory that sticks with me is when i was 14 on a 125 and he was giving me pointers at the marysville sand track e street. there were ginormous sand whoops that came under the bridge and he kept telling me each time i came thru them. MORE THROTTLE HIGHER GEAR! so i tried following directions over and over till i nearly hit bridge out of control.i looked over at him after a big save, and Danny had a huge smile, arm in the air totally pleased with the effort. another great one, the day i broke my neck and was paralyzed at the day in the dirt in 99. in the moto before i crashed, Magoo sat on the edge of a fast sweeper that transitioned from asphalt. in Magoo fashion, he positioned himself to where i literally clipped him each time by all the while waving to the line he wanted me to hit. after my injury, he stepped up and told me what to look out for. he was a good dude no doubt!
mjbmoto
5/6/2010 2:49pm
Everybody has a story about Danny when he was a pro, but for me it was in the early 70's in Placerville (not Plymouth) when I was a novice in the 250 class, back then there were 5 divisions of 250 novices, anyway Danny's dad pushes a 250 CZ to the line, anyone who road a CZ knows how low those things sat, this little kid all of 12 or 13 walks up and gets on,he can't reach the ground with his feet and barely can get his feet to pegs no exageration, his dad has to hold the rear fender with both hands, I'm sitting on my new AJS (POS) laughing at this hillbilly like who the fuck is this guy, because I think I'm all that, anyway the Rubber band start lets go and off he goes, he proceeds to smoke everyone and after his moto I line up thinking who is the hillbilly now.
jdj727
5/6/2010 3:00pm
Rest in peace Magoo... Atleast he is riding again......being a 33 year old I dont have any stories to tell but in 1999 all the oldtimers got together at the Hilton in San Bernardino for a night. I was lucky enough to get tickets from the team I rode for IMS. Low and behold MAGOO RIGHT NEXT TO ME at the dinner table!!!!! Not knowing much about there era I left that place with fond memories of the old timers and Magoo was the coolest guy to talk with...so I do have a story...
jaeckle
5/6/2010 3:12pm
The magazine articles and pictures about the Hannah vs Magoo battles are the reason I started this sport 20 some years ago. Hundreds of races later, 70+ nationals, and now my 2 sons racing. Could not imagine living my life without motocross. The people I know, met, hated, and loved. This sport means so much to so many because of Danny's spirit. Wish I could have met him just once. May 5th will always be a day of reflection for me. Please if anyone has the MXdN and TdN from 82 please post them.
Everyone could use a good dose of Danny right now.
RexBackman
5/6/2010 5:16pm
I grew up in NorCal in the northern part of the Sacramento Valley, Paradise to be exact. I raced D-36 events at Marysville and Helvetia Park on my trusty Hodaka Super Rat and Honda CR125. The first time I saw Magoo was at a 20th Street race in Marysville. He was there on his CZ250, red frame and all - he was not too tall then Wink I think his shoulders came up to the handlebars on that CZ...he raced Junior class that day I believe. After that he was in the Expert class and he was already a legend - to us locals at least.

Also during this time - '73 - '76 or so - I did a lot of Cycle News race reporting and photography - here I saw Danny a lot - Prarie City, Marysville, Dixon, and Live Oak Raceway on Saturday nights. The thing about Magoo for me was that his bike was just PEGGED @ 100% all the time - Magoo had a special sound for me that stood apart from the others racing at the time like Pat Richter, Charlie Marshall, Arnold Plant, or Kevin Henry...you could hear him coming and going, he was on the gas all the time.

In '77 I toured the AMA circuit for a bit taking pictures. Danny was there, too doing the Privateer thing. Woodland Sport Cycles Suzuki? I still remember his holeshot at the Keithsburg National and the AMA Rep turning to me and asking "Who is this kid?" I answered "It's Magoo".
mxer146
5/6/2010 5:18pm
Unfortunately, I never got to see Danny race. I was born in 1986. I didn't get into moto until I was probably 12 and had no clue about racing or old school racers. As I got older I learned more about the old school guys and one stuck out in my mind because he was from good ol Nor Cal. I instantly became a fan of Magoo, reading his results and researching everything I could about him. His wild riding style, never say die attitude, and pure, raw speed. About 5 years ago, i was at my dads business in Auburn Ca. My dad introduced to one of his employees I hadn't met before. Turns out she was Dannys sister. I chatted with her for a little bit about Danny and was just mesmerized. About 30 minutes later, I turn around and see Danny. I was in complete shock. I sat with him and just bench raced for about an hour. It was an amazing day for me.

I was able to see him a couple more times over the years. When he lived in Foresthill, he was only a few miles from my dads house. I will never forget the legend that was Magoo. He was not only a great racer, but a great person.

Thanks for sharing all your stories.

See you up there one day Danny.
moto
5/6/2010 5:34pm
I was around 10 years old on summer break in Truckee at my parents cabin for a week. HWY 89 is in their backyard and across the street is just the forest. On the first day there, I hear this screaming 125 across the street. In the blink of an eye, I have my shoes on and running out the door to see who it was. I run across 89 and up the slope to see this buy hauling balls on a brand new CR125 with work glove, work boots, blue jeans, flannel shirt, orange open face helmet and sun glasses. I was amazed at how fast this guy was. Tracy (I assume)was standing there (she lived in Truckee) watching him. She just smiled at me as I stood there with I'm sure an awe struck look on my face. He stopped and took a gulp of water and just looked at me and said, "hey kid". I told him he was super fast and he said thanks. I asked him if he raced and he goes," Do you know who Danny Magoo Chandler is?" I was like DUH...yeah I do. He said, "That's me" I was totally awe-struck. He aske me if I rode and I said I have an XR75 right across the street. He goes, "What are you doing here without it, go get and we will race!!!!" LOL...all I could do was bolt across the street, tell my parents what I just witnessed and begged it I could ride my bike over there. My Dad got on his bike and we rode over there. Danny lapped me twice I think before I finished a lap. When we stopped again, I asked him how he went so fast and he looked at me, grinned, and just said, "Just keep the throttle wide open." Tracy then punched him in the arm and told him to be nice and give me some pointers. He then tried to explain to a 10 year old kid how to lay it over in the berms and when on the straights to always be wide open trying to grab another gear. I rode with Danny for 2 more days that week then he was off to a National somewhere.

I remember that day like it was yesterday even though it was 30 years ago and now I can barely remember what I did yesterday.

Godspeed Danny and thanks for helping a kid out. He has been my hero ever since that day.

Post a reply to: Magoo update... and My 2 cents.

The Latest