MX vs ATV Supercross "Encore" on Steam

the_wood109
Edited Date/Time 6/26/2015 11:52am
PC players finally get a chance to try the game out. It's on steam for 20 bucks. I have a slow connection so it will be a bit before I get a chance to try it out.
|
the_wood109
3/6/2015 9:24am Edited Date/Time 3/6/2015 9:24am
It's pretty bad, TBH.

It is an "early access" game, which basically means it's in Alpha status, and it shows. Lots of crashes to desktop. I get them in both single player and multiplayer. There are only 4 or 5 tracks because they haven't converted them yet. The graphics are very poor by modern PC standards, and I'm not sure if that will change for PC. The performance is terrible. I have a high end system and I'm only managing like 20 fps and there are serious slow downs as well.

Gameplay wise, it needs lots of work as well. It is nearly impossible to crash. Doing jumps and rhythms have a very exaggerated and bouncy feel. You have to preload on almost every jump. If you don't preload the bike like auto-slows on the face and you end up coming up short. It's strange, indeed.

I don't have a problem alpha testing, provided the developers are working to fix the issues. Like I said, the only one that is most likely unfixable is the poor graphics. It looks low resolution, texture are bad, menus are low quality, and it appears to be upscaled.
3/6/2015 10:19am
Oh wow, that doesn't sound promising. Hopefully they'll be actively working to fix those issues, especially the crashing to desktop and unplayable fps. Shall avoid for now. Thanks for taking the time to give your impressions.
DoctorJD
3/6/2015 12:47pm
It's pretty bad, TBH. It is an "early access" game, which basically means it's in Alpha status, and it shows. Lots of crashes to desktop. I...
It's pretty bad, TBH.

It is an "early access" game, which basically means it's in Alpha status, and it shows. Lots of crashes to desktop. I get them in both single player and multiplayer. There are only 4 or 5 tracks because they haven't converted them yet. The graphics are very poor by modern PC standards, and I'm not sure if that will change for PC. The performance is terrible. I have a high end system and I'm only managing like 20 fps and there are serious slow downs as well.

Gameplay wise, it needs lots of work as well. It is nearly impossible to crash. Doing jumps and rhythms have a very exaggerated and bouncy feel. You have to preload on almost every jump. If you don't preload the bike like auto-slows on the face and you end up coming up short. It's strange, indeed.

I don't have a problem alpha testing, provided the developers are working to fix the issues. Like I said, the only one that is most likely unfixable is the poor graphics. It looks low resolution, texture are bad, menus are low quality, and it appears to be upscaled.
Thanks for the heads-up, I won't waste that $20.

The Shop

the_wood109
3/6/2015 4:18pm
To be fair, I'm not saying don't buy the game. I'm basically saying that right now is not the time to buy it, especially if you want to just get it and start racing. We are just testing a pre release version. As of now, the developers are pretty active on the steam forums, so we'll see how long it takes them to start correcting the issues.

It's pretty much in line with what you would expect from a early access game, aside from the game crashing every few minutes.

I'll keep you guys updated on their progress. As of now, there really is no reason for me to keep playing it...at least until the crashing is mostly fixed.
kxf250f176
Fantasy
1354th
3/7/2015 5:55am
Besides the lack of content which is expected for an alpha, I'm really enjoying it. I don't have the greatest graphics card but it holds a high frame rate no issue. I have been booted to desk top but part of this alpha is so that they can optimize the game for all the various pc configurations.

As for the physics in the previous post, they feel like that because you likely haven't upgraded all of the bike mods yet. The factory chassis really does give it a completely different feel that is more enjoyable. The alpha also does not have the new chassis that they just released on consoles that gives the same reflex feel either so you should expect that in the future. Give it time and with the modding community for potential user created tracks, I'm happy with it. It's the price of two value meals. If anything, just give it a try our else future Supercross games won't exist.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
3/10/2015 6:15am
Hmmm, I think I'm going to hold off for now...
DoctorJD
3/13/2015 9:19am
Well, I relented and bought it. As the_wood109 warned, lots of crashes, like 1-in-3 races. Otherwise, its about what I expected. Graphics are compatible with the PS3 version (which I've played) as are the physics. Its an okay game, and worth a 20-spot, for sure. Curious to see what the finished version has in store. Until then, if I want to play a moto game, it'll be MXGP or MXSim.
3/15/2015 8:15am Edited Date/Time 3/15/2015 8:19am
Just got it aswell the other night since my brother gave me some Paysafecards to waiste on steam. Can't say i am really impressed with the game but like others stated it is still in the early acces phase. Definitly lacks content but as the steam post 'promised' there should be monthly updates adding content to the game. If they really put in massive effort this game could eventually become something good but it's gonna need allot of work and definitly will never reach the mx simulator potential (which in my opinnion is the best mx game ever together with motocross madness 2).

Graphics wise i can't complain (gtx 780 / I7 4770K 5ghz) while my xbox 360 doesn't even have a HDMI cable still using composite for my crappy CRT TV so it is for sure an graphical improvement for me over the console version. Neither have i encountered any crashes during my 5 hours or so of gameplay. The online appears to be working better then on console also so far. (No random disconnects, no party disbanding, races glitching and not finishing) so there's that.

If you are a fan of the series and got the money and the pc for it i'd say its worth it to get since we are promised allot more content updates comming soon so the game should only improve. I might be a bit biased since i enjoy PC gaming a whole lot more of console gaming .. i honesly only played MVA: SX on x360 for a week and never started it up again ...
kevin204
Fantasy
2865th
3/23/2015 11:21pm
Most games in Steam "Early Access" never get much added to them. Good luck to those who spent cash on this pile.
the_wood109
4/10/2015 6:25pm
Content was updated by a small patch that simply unlocked tracks and bikes that were already downloaded. There have been no stability patches. There are still crashes galore.
Crash82
Fantasy
2036th
4/14/2015 11:09am
The company that makes Mx vs Atv supercross is a joke, fuckem.
WillyB
4/14/2015 11:42am
I can freeride all day but as soon as I just to play the career i can't even make it through the first race before it just crashes to desktop. Sure hope they solve this huge issue.
Tpog496
4/15/2015 9:03am
Crash82 wrote:
The company that makes Mx vs Atv supercross is a joke, fuckem.
X2
Crash82
Fantasy
2036th
4/21/2015 6:13am
They remind me of the Obama administration, just keep acting like the game works and they will play it, fuckem.
DoctorJD
5/8/2015 6:10am
Unplayable. I picked it back up after hearing about the big update and thought I'd give it another try. Just to get my feet wet, I started a career mode. Went through the first three races and thought everything was ok, I was actually enjoying it. Then the crashing began. Made it through the "west" 250's and started on the east. Had a couple of time where the game crashed on the Atlanta round, but as soon as I got to Indy, it simply won't run. The game crashes in almost the same spot every time. In all of my years of gaming, it's hard to come up with an example of a more poorly executed game. Glad I only paid $20 for this pos.

the_wood109
5/9/2015 6:06pm
Those are the same tracks that crash for me, JD. They are falling behind in support, and they aren't following the roadmap that they have laid out. It seems obvious, but fixing crashes should be their top priority. There are all types of other issues that we can't even begin to address until the CTD is fixed.
tprice07
6/26/2015 11:52am
I really can't emphasize enough how much better Reflex is/was than Supercross. Alive had some great things but still very luggish and doesn't allow for an individual style as much as Reflex. Take these aspects from each game:

Reflex: Overall Physics like easy of throwing huge whips in different styles, amount of tracks (national and sx)
Alive: The "scubability" as well as the Stewart compound. Also the rim color options
Supercross: The tracks and scale are perfect....shifting is fun as well.

So essentially...Reflex Encore. I'll buy that in a heart beat.

Post a reply to: MX vs ATV Supercross "Encore" on Steam

The Latest