MX vs ATV Reflex Servers Down - Is it Over?

Phillips467
Edited Date/Time 10/7/2013 1:51am
So, the MX vs ATV Reflex servers are down and they have been for two days now. I know when MX vs ATV shut down they said the servers would stay up, but after a quick search on Google I saw that the servers for a handful of THQ games have been shut down in recent weeks. In the past, when the servers have been down on Reflex it has been for a few hours at most.

The question is: Will we ever be able to play MX vs ATV Reflex online again? Or is this over?
|
Crash82
Fantasy
2036th
4/10/2013 1:37pm
Wow man, that would suck.
MR. X
4/10/2013 2:36pm
Haven't played in a couple days , that would seriously suck , im just getting fast again.
Crash82
Fantasy
2036th
4/10/2013 3:11pm
Ya I was going to fire it up as soon as I got a new Tv
Phillips467
4/11/2013 3:02am Edited Date/Time 4/11/2013 3:04am
Yeah, I was just getting back into it too. Hopefully it is going to sort itself out sometime soon, there must be someone on here that has some kind of idea what is going on.

The Shop

Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
4/11/2013 5:10pm
The dream is over ... R.I.P. Reflex online.

Alive is still working.
davidex400
4/11/2013 11:09pm
so basically a game that was designed (as are most now) mainly for online play is now possibly dead? great
Phillips467
4/12/2013 2:50am
Ramrod wrote:
The dream is over ... R.I.P. Reflex online.

Alive is still working.
I think it might be. I've seen it go down for a few hours before, but this is going on five days..

Rather than switch to Alive, I went back to Untamed; I was surprised to see a handful of online games going on.
davidex400
4/12/2013 7:14am
ive been pretty great at every mx game i play, including untamed. the last time i played that though i was pretty bad. there is no room for error when landing jumps. i do like how strong the AI is on that game though. reflex so far is the best recent mx game by far imo. look at the other thread to see how they can improve
JamieT
4/12/2013 8:24am
THQ is in the middle of auctioning off MX vs ATV. The reason the servers are down, is probably due to the ownership being transferred, and there is probably some form of admin process that comes with it. The deadline for the final bid in the auction is April 15th - so next week I think we'll know for sure who's taken up ownership. If there is a contract that THQ has signed to keep the servers running for X amount of time (and they probably have), then the new owners will need to fulfill that. It will then depend on whether the new owners want to keep renewing the contract to keep the servers up and running in future years.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
4/12/2013 9:41am
JamieT wrote:
THQ is in the middle of auctioning off MX vs ATV. The reason the servers are down, is probably due to the ownership being transferred, and...
THQ is in the middle of auctioning off MX vs ATV. The reason the servers are down, is probably due to the ownership being transferred, and there is probably some form of admin process that comes with it. The deadline for the final bid in the auction is April 15th - so next week I think we'll know for sure who's taken up ownership. If there is a contract that THQ has signed to keep the servers running for X amount of time (and they probably have), then the new owners will need to fulfill that. It will then depend on whether the new owners want to keep renewing the contract to keep the servers up and running in future years.
Hope this is what happens.

What would be the cost to keep the servers running? The only way to justify it is if they are still selling the game, otherwise why would any business keep it going.
JamieT
4/12/2013 9:56am
Yeah that's true... Hopefully though, the new owners will want to develop a new MX game, and therefore they'll continue to support the multiplayer servers of the old games.

It's also in their interest to keep the servers up if they want ANY potential of future sales for Reflex or Alive. There are surely new comers to these games, as they get recommended by friends. Reflex on PC is has the largest potential for future sales, as the modding tools are gradually getting better and better...
SirSmighty
4/12/2013 8:43pm
JamieT wrote:
Yeah that's true... Hopefully though, the new owners will want to develop a new MX game, and therefore they'll continue to support the multiplayer servers of...
Yeah that's true... Hopefully though, the new owners will want to develop a new MX game, and therefore they'll continue to support the multiplayer servers of the old games.

It's also in their interest to keep the servers up if they want ANY potential of future sales for Reflex or Alive. There are surely new comers to these games, as they get recommended by friends. Reflex on PC is has the largest potential for future sales, as the modding tools are gradually getting better and better...
Totally agree, let's just hope whoever takes ownership doesn't slaughter the game. Mx vs atv or anything dealing with MX racing is more huge then ever i think and it would suck for the best mx title to crash out.
Biggdummy
4/14/2013 5:48pm
No!!!!! God Please NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!
peelout
4/15/2013 8:37am
shitty.

hopefully the MUD games are improved upon and we can get another decent mx game soon
4/15/2013 1:06pm Edited Date/Time 4/15/2013 1:07pm
Today is the last day for the leftover THQ games auction. Lot 3 is MX. We should know soon if anyone purchased the series or not.
4/16/2013 12:58am
Their should be some sort of release on what was purchased. That's what happened after the first auction. Haven't seen anything yet.
Biggdummy
4/16/2013 9:01am
I don't think anyone bought it,I think alive screwed it all up.Lots of people were still playing reflex though!
4/16/2013 2:22pm
I think Alive was better, actually. It felt grounded, unlike any of the other THQ MX games.

Nonetheless, it isn't about what was better....Reflex or Alive...it is about the hopes of someone continuing or building off the franchise. Let's hope.

If you took Alive's gameplay and sound and mixed it with Mud's championship points series, AI and full license you would have a stellar game.
JJ4
4/16/2013 7:11pm
I've been trying to play for the last couple of days and finally searched the web to see what was going on. Search brought me here. I hope someone develops a strictly mx/sx game real soon. And until then, here's hoping the servers get back up for this one. Gotta have my moto one way or the other!
4/17/2013 3:59am
Over isn't the word. The entire game is done. Nobody is going to purchase the game, nor continue the franchise. Too many people are caught up in first person shooters, madden, ncaa trash, and 2k sports line of typical everyday sports games you name it, basketball, baseball, softball LOL! It's all the same trash with bold new graphics every year from the same producers and the morons buy it up like zombies. Oh did I forget black ops 1, and 2? Also, the Battlefield line of products? 2,3,4? All I can say is people are so war hungry in this nation. They let games just die for people who would rather race, or do something competitive. That's messed up! First off one question? How many first person shooters do you need?

Doom "The new one
Battle feild 2
Battle feild 3
Battle Feild 4
Call of Duty 4
Call of Duty World at War
Call of Duty Modern warfare 3
Call of Duty Black Ops
Call of Duty Black Ops II
Call of Duty III Which is in prototype phase already in 5 months? Man wish it took so little time for a mx game to be produced at that level of graphical agility and quality with the physics engine that close? But hey that won't happen because we have all our greatest devolopers on the 400 war games or foosball games.
Then you have more games like
Crysis 2
Crysis 1
God of War "Not first person shooter but still war influenced."
God of War II
God of War III
God of war Assention. Latest.
World of WarCraft Role playing but still kind of first person now instead of even stradegy game. They even killed warcraft to make it a first person war game. So now we aren't just killing games such as "Tony Hawk, MX vs ATV." We are killing none action sports games just to broden the war volume pack for the retards.

Then the list goes on.

Then you have games like these not that they are bad games but seriously how many psy ops/ war games does one need?

007 Bond
Syphon Filter
BulletStorm
Afganastan "war game." Two in series can't remember seconds name.
Sniper The game
Halo 1
Halo 2
Halo 3
Halo ODST
Halo Reach
Halo 4
Rage
Dead Island

Then we can get into fighting games.. Same deal violence sells.

WWE 13
WWE 12 You get the drift the list is long Oh btw WWE was bought by 2k Sports.. YEa thats not going anywhere.
UFC Undisputed "Tons of copies, and versions."
Boxing. Tons of games and copies
Smackdown

Now we get to the unforgotten stuff.

How many Sports games are there?

Madden Football "Pro level How many years? TONS! And they always have real licenses, real people, real jerseys and insignias, and not to forget liscened stadiums, and stats from the previous year to the T something MX has never seen or SX.
NCAA Basketball Same as madden in my comments.
Then we get into even more. Not only is there one game manufacturer of sports games for REGULAR PEOPLE Cough Cough. Theres two to three.

MLB 2k One developer 2K studios Then you have.
MLB The Show A totally diff developer. Now why do they need 100 games ? When we have none? Real fair.

Also NCAA football.

Hockey by 2k sports.
Hockey games made by other companies as well.

Soccer games like Fifa. ANd the like because soccer is "Ok." and Acceptable to most Mommies out there you know.

I have bad news mothers union but did you know, "More kids are injured playing soccer every year, or Football than Motocross and Supercross combined?" That's a fact pal. Google it.

Why parents really don't like mx and sx it's too expensive. Really after all the crap you buy your kids for football or basketball? The training courses you pay for etc if you want them to be any good? Yeah right.

Now how many MX games do we have?

1. Mx vs ATV Series and thats it!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!! Am I the only one here noticing this? Am I the only person with common sense realizing they just don't give a damn scram about us? There will be no more mx games. They could care less. They are too up their ass worrying about Football, Killing people, and some BaseBall, and some Basketball to give a flying crap about us poor 760,000 MX racing community people. I brought it up to a coworker what i just described his response the greedy people we are dealing with. Well there isn't really a market for that game so the consumers rule the market. IDK I don't think you've truely ever given a game like that a chance is your problem was my response. MX vs ATV Reflex was the start of something real, and good and it was taking mad wind. I bought 3 copies myself two digital and two hard. JUST INCASE Because I know how they are. I knew it was going under. Because nobody cares about us. THey never have, never will they only do when it's politically correct, and even then they still bs and say one thing and another off cam.

Now lets look at all mx games EVER made for console.

1. Excitebike. The first game. IT was fun, but terrible physics and lets admit by todays standards the graphics blow. Still fun tho if looking for a lame arcade game to steal quarters.
2. Playstation 1. Made by 98 studios the best game to date ever made until Reflex. Supercross Circuit. Great GAME! Was a blast to play the Physics where ofcourse dated because they where from 98. But it was a marvoulous game. If this technique was combined with todays physics and graphics youd have something! They had real honda of troy riders, yam of troy and even LICENSED TRACKS! Thats right! Unadilla Steel City Las Vegas SX and Detroit SX. And I raced at Pontiac back then it was an identical layout to the track I raced on! Good work 98 Studios! Finally somone got some crap right! And it wasn't Dakomoto It was kawi, honda Suzuki and yami. Ofcourse it was before KTM was crap.. So don't expect that. There where some homemade tracks too outdoors but they where challenging and fun. But for the most part you could race series for points, and you earned points like in real life, and you went up through amatures to pro status. Pretty cool they even started you in the 125cc course first. Cool game. But physics no Reflex.. Lacks compared to today and graphic quality since it is PS1 is terrible by todays standards.
3. MX Madness 1/2. MX madness was amazing. Rainbow studios the same creators of MX vs ATV Reflex. Where involved here, and their passion for MX shows! IT is an amazing game the graphics where amazing for the time. Still better than mx simulator if you ask me. And the Physics where right on par. Brakes make gyro etc. Was great but no reflex, and whips aren't all that possible. Crashing is more likely. Though tracks are very challenging and many lines are avail. But I don't recall there being very many legit tracks if any! And NO REAL LICENSING Whatsoever. Still Not comparing..
4. Jermey Mcgraths game for PS1 IT was horrid. They focused on MC more than they did the game. IT was cartoony if anything. The graphics even for it's time sucked ass to say the least. Some tracks where legit, but they really didn't follow decent tracks people want to see. LIke they followed Parris SX? Really? In America? We want the Georgia Dome man, Toronto SX, and Indy, and Vegas, Houston. They dropped the ball in my .02 it focused too much on McGrath it was ok, and def better than Excitebike, but not leaps and bounds or anything. Alot of fake tracks Especially outdoor nationals.
5. PS2 comes out, finally a decent console capable of producing better results. MX vs ATV comes out its amazing. You have amazing physics. THe bike does what it should where it should, Gyro, throttle controll, steering etc. The graphics where Mediocre. They where Good for their time, but by todays standard horrid. But overall it was a great game. BUt Lacked reflex, and reality in some senses, oh and did I foget Licensing AGAIN! No real bikes, or tracks.
6. PS2 Mx Vs ATV UNtamed.. Same as MX vs ATV was except they put in different tracks and made you crash more easily. If you over jumped, or came up short you'd pay for it more. SO i'd say more accuret physics engine. Though sometimes in my .02 it was too accuret to a point it made the game a tad unfun to even play thus i often reverted to MX vs ATV. Not a good sign. Oh and did I mention again? No legit tracks, or bikes Graphics etc. Some riders yes but their stats are all the same, and no one is BETTER than the next.
7. XBOX 360 MX vs ATV UNtamed came out. Terrible game. They totally trashed it here in this one. They tried to improve on MX vs ATV here and it died in my .02. THis was their first F up if you ask me.. THe Physics where CRAP! Cornering was CRAP! Crashing was a gurentee because of terrible Physics, whipping is virtually imposible to the level it should be, even though they claim it was going to be the first game you could do it. UBER FAILURE! Tracks not licensed, some real riders, but stats not accuret, and Lest we forget no REAL LICENSED BIKES!
8. Xbox 360 Mx vs ATV Reflex. FINALLY A WINNER! They got it right! Physics PERFECT! Riders REAL! Stats not really on par. Still all the same for the greater part. Not one is faster than the next. But the graphics are AMAZING. You can scrub, though on occasion it does glitch and make you crash while scrubbing for no reason some lines of code there need some debugging. But other than that, or the occasional hay bail left in the corners as the person is ridding on them from laggy internet, or hacking what ever it so be. IT is a great game overall. They finally nailed one in the coffin here. BUT There are no real tracks. Other than BlackWater which isn't even an outdoor national, it's a pro say enduro fatigue style race in real life that is supposed to show who can really ride to a high level of skill. Which is neat they put it in there don't get me wrong. Though I don't think thats what we are after here. We want LEGIT TRACKS. Look at the track edits people make. Daytona, Houston, You get my drift. We want legit SX tracks. Legit outdoor tracks from the previous race seasons just like the football geeks, and Basketball and Baseball nerds get. I want Legit stats based on wins from the previous season, and Legit bikes and a FULL line of Gear as DLC like the Shooting zombie morons get for Halo, and like the Map packs they get for Black ops 1 million twenty five since we know that'll never die.

Now the final Two MX titles.

1. Mx simulator PC. Uber Trash. It was a great attempt. Thanks for trying. But your game is trash. Breaking is crap. 9-10 your on your butt for no good reason when in real life you know you could complete a lap with the reflexing your doing. Turning is a god forgoten nightmare. Forget about it. The fact you have pull yourself to center is a neat idea in theory. Though with joysticks being so inaccurett in current place i think it's a DUMB move. Reflex had it smart here. How can you do a straight line and not flip on a joystick make it come back to center. This steering back to center crap is over rated as of yet because your engine is too sloppy and too slow. Over correction is nearly imposible to avoid. Being forced to turn up stability is almost nessacary to make so much as two laps without crashing. There are far to many presets. Im not a mechanic and never plan to be. Therefore i don't want 100 different ways to setup my bike for each track. Yes it's a simulator but now it's a primary game so act like it. Personally Reflex had it right in this respect. Lets let them tweak some, but keep it simple. You don't need to know how much Oil is in your forks or shock to ride successfully which makes sense in real life this is why i have a mechanic. The jumping is terrible. Landing is even worse. Crashing is inevitable even guys on there daily crash lapply or close to. THe learning curve is FAR to great to gain broad interest of many and bring newcomers who don't ride. Which is hurting the sport not helping it. Though it does have Real Bikes, and Real traCks which is Awesome. It doesn't have Reflex. But it does have lean and steer. But they are not separete making it highly confusing to the average joe. NOt to mention they also add a front brake and rear, plus shifting. Too much going on to use a regular controller for xbox even. I think they need to brush this game up a lot before I'd give it the win. Honestly my win goes to Reflex. It kills simulator in terms of rideablity and fun hours of actual game play that your not on the ground trying to be a master mechanic.

2. Xbox 360 Alive. TERRIBLE. Yes I bought it and yes i regret it. THey tried to Bold new Graphics MX vs ATV reflex and bombed totally!>. First off heres my con list.

1. No SX TRacks unless you pay to download them REALLY!? YOu call this a productive selling game? NO wonder it failed! Kids want to ride sx cause most don't get to in real life or can't. SO by not adding this it was a death sentence if you ask me. HOw are kids to follow their heros of SX? Like kids follow their heros of Football or Baseball or Basketball?
2. No Real licensed tracks whatsoever, no indoor tracks unless you pay, and no outdoor tracks that are licensed, and some you have to pay just to play online. "BomB." Terrible.!
3. Real Bikes if you pay for them as Down loadable content.? BOgus You should be able to acquire them through the game and earning points. Total rip off.!
4. PHysics SUCK! They are nothing like reflex. Close in Minute ways is best I could say. Other than that terrible.. I call it a wheelie game because your doing just that wheeling the entire game. You can't ride flat and make time. You have to be on the back wheel to make time. EVEN ON AI! ANd yes i can beat the game on expert. Not a challenge to me. But the physics suck! TOTALLY! Unrealistic AND CARTOONY AS HELL!
5. They focused so much on James Stewart being a black man in a white mans sport that they lost sight of the game. The game is Cartoony, lacks detail in the tracks. DOesn't have legit tracks at all, has some legit riders but they don't have legit stats, and jumping/ridding the tracks is made impossible by horrible track design. Compared to Reflex I would give this game a 4 to Reflex's 8.

Pro's? Real Riders. Reflex, ability to whip, and scrub. Graphics are good, and sounds more legit than reflex. Though other than these few pros the cons totally outweigh the PROS.

So in conclusion. When are they going to give MX a real chance? Huh developers, and nay sayers? How about you put the time into the game and really talking to people who ride before you just develop a game for us? That way they can even have part in it, and I don't just mean for endorsement value like James Stewarts game as I call ALive, or Jeremy MC's game.

Good luck all I firmly beleive unless we band together and do it ourselves we can forget MX games worth of crap.

I'll stick to reflex single player for now. With the occasional mx simulator to get angry and shut off the pc because it's that terrible.

Alpine-
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
4/17/2013 4:59am
Wow, you have a lot of passion for mx games just like most of us all do. You were right on about 989 studios game Supercross Circuit, amazing game. I've said it on here before but that game with the graphics and physics of Reflex would be unreal.

I wish that Feld (cause they have the cash) could buy the Mx vs Atv franchise at auction here probably for really cheap. They could just add more supercross tracks to Alive and then promote the shit out of it at the races and they would make easy money. They have the target market for that type of game sitting right there in their seats. How easy would that be for them plus would add another revenue stream into their company.
4/17/2013 1:01pm
You are right about the 989 studios sir. Totally on point. I always found it ironic
That they called it 989 studios because in michigan where i am from they changed the area code from 517 to 989 ironic not
Long after that 989 studios released supercross circuit. But honestly i dont see them making a mx game they dont give two craps about us. Its all about first person shooters, and pro say normal sports games football basketball baseball.

Ofcourse some may say i sound that i sound a tad bitter but growing up i guess its like i didnt have very good options. It was highly aggravating to see my sport simply left in the dark whilst others got to act as if they where better than me and my friends that rode just because people support them and their sport. It is senseless cruelty.

I also have been riding since i was 4 and raceing since i was 14. So i guess it always bothered me.

Lastly i left out a title. Nintendo 64 excitebike 64 another game that didnt reach the bar of reality. It was fun dont get me wrong if your into arcade games it was fun. Though as far as a legit bike game it lacked severly.

It had, no online game play, the philysics where ok but still very unrealistic, and the fact that bikes could overheat no offense but is a tad dated and was at the period time. Water cooled bikes had been in existence for many years at this point. So it was cartoony some, poor physics, didnt have online play, had out dated bikes some of the graphics where cool with fmf getting on board, but that was the height of it. The tracks none where licsened, all where fake and the jumps where insanley fake.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
4/18/2013 4:46am
Did you ever see this steaming pile of a game for sega32X?

Complete with mud holes and kicking other riders. Check out the great racing action after the gate drop:

4/18/2013 5:02am
Are you talking about sega saturn would be the console i believe your discussing no never even saw a game for that console ever that i can recall that was about mx. Ofcourse they had nascar though for the rednecks. Lol. Cause thats american values there thats accepted. But sega saturn was the name of segas 32 bit console. And nope dont recall seeing a game for it.

Oh and mx vs atv for psp was a joke it was nothing pike the console game youd think since they had something good theyd just port it over but nope. And reflex was impossible cause psp only had one joystick lol yet again totally not considering mx games, or any racing game for that matter. Ahh the stupidity. Finally ps vita has two but now mx is not supported and is shut down lol laughable! This killed my desire to even buy one i woulda got thr three g version just so i could play at work if they would have ported reflex as they said they would which they never did, and not shut down the games servers. So i figure the game companies lost 500 dollars of my cash. Oh well their loss. Cause i would have added att 3g to which is a recuring monthly payment lol they are so stupid.
4/18/2013 5:25am
Wow that game looked absolutely horrid. Its as if they tried to use car racing physics games for their basis in a mx game aweful glad i never owned a genises. My friend did so i played alot of other games for it but man this game looks horrid. Its just as i said it looks like they tried to steal their physics from a car racing arcade like rush san fran and added some dirt texture and mud puddles to slow you im sure and some horrid ride over the back fender to be fast physics and terrible steering like its s car, and jumping looked laughable. Looks like they really care about our games so much. So much they put one day into making this pile of crap i bet wow. They couldnt even make their own physics wow. Not supriseing there where other moto games for ps1 similar that even went as far as to put nitro in mx bikes it was horrible. A couple of games i havent played that i should snag of ebay cheap mtx mototrax and rc championship i played rcs game once for a sec on xbox and i didnt do horrid but i was new to the first xbox platform back then.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
4/18/2013 7:24am
Pastrana's mototrax game had some really good things in it. RC's first game was ok but 2nd not so great.

I also won some euro MX and roadbike game from moto league fantasy SX back in the day. It was terrible, can't even remember the name of that fine piece of work.

I really liked the variety MX vs atv used to offer like super moto, that's was good. Whoever ran their focus groups was on crack and should have hired us guys haha
Biggdummy
4/18/2013 9:18am
Ramrod wrote:
Did you ever see this steaming pile of a game for sega32X? Complete with mud holes and kicking other riders. Check out the great racing action...
Did you ever see this steaming pile of a game for sega32X?

Complete with mud holes and kicking other riders. Check out the great racing action after the gate drop:

I bought the 32x upgrade just for this game,I remember when i put it in i don't know if i have ever been more disappointed in my life!
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
4/18/2013 9:37am
Biggdummy wrote:
I bought the 32x upgrade just for this game,I remember when i put it in i don't know if i have ever been more disappointed in...
I bought the 32x upgrade just for this game,I remember when i put it in i don't know if i have ever been more disappointed in my life!
Haha! Right on! My cousin bought that whole package so we could play and it cost him a small fortune at the time.

I share your disappointment.

Post a reply to: MX vs ATV Reflex Servers Down - Is it Over?

The Latest