MUD PAL copies DO work on US 360s. Plus my review/thoughts.

Edited Date/Time 9/25/2012 4:10am
Hey guys. I just wanted to give everyone a heads up that despite some reports to the contrary that if you import a PAL copy (from the UK, for example) that MUD World Championship Motocross WILL work on a US Xbox 360. I, myself, took a chance since I could get no definitive answer from anyone and I totally didn't expect it to work but I put it in an lo and behold it worked!

I play on an older Xbox 360 Pro so I was curious if there was something about that model that would play it while other 360s might not so I put it to the test. I know some guys at Gamestop and I asked them if I could take my PAL copy of MUD to their store and make sure it work on a new 360 like the slim model so I could relay that news to you guys. And again, it works perfectly.

I also received confirmation from Milestone Customer support that the 360 version will work on a US 360. I received this though after I already bought it, opened it and took that chance.

I enjoy the game for what it is. I LOVE the fact it has all the real MX1/MX2 riders as well as MXDN and the game has ton of content and lots of authenticity. In addition, the AI is very good and unlike almost all other MX games it has a full legitimate points series with qualifiers and 2 moto formats.

But it does have PLENTY of weak points. No clutch, and very arcade like whips and gameplay in general. The game is good but doesn't have very realistic physics....nothing like MX Simulator of course or not even as good physics wise as Alive or Reflex (though the latter's physics were way too bouncy and lacked any feel of weight, imo.) But t it's credit in MUD the epper echelon riders finish where they should in the races...on the box or near it with the occasional bad race.... which makes the points series very good and that has NEVER happened in any other MX game as all the THQ offerings were just randomness in their rider finishes.

So is it worth getting? Yes, I'd say it definetly is especially since we are MX deprived in gaming. It does a lot of things much better than THQ in the very first offering from Blackbean such as points series, good AI, and absolute stunning rider/bike authenticity. For example, in the very cool photo mode my pics of my favorite rider (KR94...not 70 as is his AMA number) looks PERFECT right down to EVERY logo. And all these bikes and riders and gear are in the game, not some expensive DLC ala THQ. But they need to make the game less arcade, make the tracks replicas other than name only, make the physics at least somewhat more realistic and they will have an EXCELLENT game.

Point being is Blackbean DID at least make a MX game while no one else has. For that alone they get my support. AND this team makes very good racing sims such as the SBK series. For MUD they want a more arcade approach but if we support them yet show them we want more realism they can do it if there is a sequel.

And I know there is a lot of people who play and love MXS and say we don't need another game but I, personally, disagree. I want a game that replicates the real riders in a real points series....like the Madden/NHL2K/NBA2k of MX.....and as brilliant as MXS is it in no way does that since people race as themselves against other real people creating themselves as riders. That's great but I want to play as my heroes such as the AMA/MX1/MX2 guys. As far as the MX1/MX2 guys go MUD offers that in spades but does miss the mark on realism.

My point being is that this developer has a history of making good racing sims. With MUD they went more arcade but they still did a lot that no other game developer has ever done. And though no US release has been announced yet I am hoping they bring it to the US. I do hope everyone does support the game because as I said there is ZERO other game developers on board for MX at the moment other than an AMA SX game that MAY be in development. But my source there can't reveal the developer and says it is still 2 years off and though I hope it happens I have serious doubts. If Blackbean/Milestone take the advice of their consumers they will steer this series in a more realistic direction. But if they get no support for this game (and sales) we will never even have a chance of seeing where it could go.

So, with all that being said here are my thoughts on the good and bad of MUD. For what it's worth, I have played every MX/SX game made dating back to the excellent simulation style Supercross 2000 by EA (one of the best still) it's dismal 2001 arcade sequel which was garbage, Supercross Circuit thru the RC Championship MX and Superfly games, MTX, MX vs ATV, MXS and now MUD.

The good/great:

No question, it is GREAT to play as real riders in their EXACT gear on their EXACT bike in a full qualifier/2 moto format in a full points series on at least real named tracks.

Incredible authenticity with all the teams, riders, bikes, sponsers, tracks, logos of MX1/MX2/MXDN. Even AMA riders like Dungey, Reed and Villopoto and more are in the MXDN event with their bike looking EXACTLY like they did in the Des Nations.

A FULL legitimate points series with qualifiers and 2 moto format

16 riders at the gate. Most ever in a console game.

Very competitive AI that races smart and doesn't take you and themselves out foolishly like some games we know

Top tier riders like Cairoli, Roczen, Searle, Herlings, Frossard finish near the top in most races making the results in a championship season mode very realistic and true.

I turn it off but the music soundtrack is really good.

Cool updated points standings at the end of the 2 motos with the red plate going to th ecurrent points leader. The red plate however is just in the standings not on the actual bikes.

Since the outdoor tracks aren't a mindless jumpfest like the THQ games you can actually race the AI and line choices actually count

Game is fun. I hear online is very good and though I don't play online I bet multiplayer would be a blast.

Lots of content in the game. Very polished and professional layout.

The bike's speeds are pretty realistic.

Rider track scaling looks very realistic. THQ games (until Alive) were all way too big track/jump wise.

360 PAL copy works on US 360 in addition to, of course, the PS3 versions which are always region free.

Photo mode is VERY cool! It is great pausing the game at any time and moving the camera around and zooming in/out and taking pics of your favorite riders.

Racing as AMA riders like Dungey, Reed, Baggett, Wilson, etc in their replica MXDN gear and bike sis way cool. Reed's TWOTWO bike is sweet and so is Roczen's MXDN Fox gear! It is meticulously detailed.

Game seems grounded to a degree and not extremely floaty like many MX games.

Motos are timed plus two laps just like real races.. The max is 7 minutes (real time) plus two laps. This is a good length that gives you plenty of race time without taking up tons of time to play.

You can't just pin it all the time like in the old MX vs ATV games. You must use throttle control and a little bit of braking at least.

Though they are no where near being a replica of the tracks they are named after the tracks are at least much more realistic than the MX vs ATV tracks (minus the excellent Stewart Compound).

The not so good/bad:

The physics are just too arcade. I'm cool with it being even Reflex/Alive like which I call a mixture of sim and arcade but MUD does lean way too much to the arcade with it's one button scrubs and such. But the lack of control and arcade approach makes what could be an INCREDIBLE experience into one that is very good at times but tires kinda quickly.

No clutch. Inexcusable. Needs more advanced controls such as shifting and at LEAST a clutch.

Bike sounds are pretty horrible. Especially compared to Alive or RC's Motocross Matchup. Very muffled sounding.

There is very little pre-loading the suspension and such details of that. Too much just gas/brake.

Tracks (though named after their real counterparts) bear little resemblance.

Hardly ANY vibration which really hurts. I like to feel as though I am on a rough track thru rumble feedback.

Terrain deformation seems pretty much look only. It may affect the bike some but I didn't notice very much.

I miss the camera in Alive/Reflex where you can sort of angle it to the side so you can see front wheel. Also no 1st person camera if fan of that. There are 3 cameras. I use the default middle one.

Very cartoony look.

MUD World Tour is stupid. If you are a MX fan all your time will be in MX1/MX2 Championship points series or MXDN. But in their defense at least they have a real points series.

No race replays. We haven't seen this since Superfly. Sad. Well actually there are some replays after your qualifications but they are behind the running order text.

Other than the Official Mode game does seem to cater to much to kids. I wish I could say I was that young again but I'm not.

And it has talked about before. Yes, the boost after the scrubs are lame. I'm glad you can disable all the text but the boost still occurs. You do get used to it and not notice it so much after a while but I still don't like it at all.

So, those are my thoughts for what it is worth. I'm a huge MX fan of over 20 years and desperately crave an official AMA MX/SX game with all the real riders/tracks/teams/bikes and MUD does at least give us a glimpse of that in the World Championship series. If MUD had Reflex and Alive's physics, controls and cameras to go along with all MUD does do right it would be phenominal. And I honestly am not a fan of THQs games as I hate their track designs, lack of authenticity, AI and lack of making a true points series. But for a sim/arcade game THQ did do a good job physics wise for the most part.

One thing I will note though is that after playing MUD and for that matter Alive or Reflex and then playing games such as NHL2K10, NHL12, Madden or NBA2K12 you see how pathetically behind our sport is in the gaming world. Reflex and Alive have the gameplay down pretty well but gets nothing else right while MUD gets all the other stuff right and loses it on the gameplay.

But any way if any of you have any questions just fire away and I will try to answer but I do encourage everyone to support the game even if you don't like their approach. They did do a lot of good in this game but there is also a lot bad but they DID try and I think with time they could really improve things if they want to.
|
the_wood109
6/8/2012 8:40pm Edited Date/Time 6/8/2012 8:42pm
Quick question....where did you manage to buy it from?

I have no idea why they don't just sell their shit in the USA...You have to go through back channels to even be able to play their games, and by how good SBK is, it's a shame.
6/8/2012 11:08pm
I got mine off of Ebay from a seller in the UK. I checked and she does not have any more as she said as soon as she gets them she sells them but not sure how many she has gotten. Still, check Ebay. I'm sure other sellers have it.

But the PAL copies from the UK indeed work on US 360s.
6/9/2012 1:54am
Though a lot of MX fans will dismiss MUD due to the simplistic control and arcade like physics I will say this. I went thru nearly all of my MX games tonight ranging from EA's Supercross 2000, Superfly, MTX Mototrax, Reflex, Alive and a couple more. Even though MUD does take a too simplistic approach to control and arcade feel it does do alot that the rest of the games really fail on.

MUD's real full points series and 2 moto format with qualification is a major plus.

Though MUD lacks much vibration the bikes do seem pretty grounded. Reflex would have been cool if the AI didn't kamikaze you, there was a points series and mainly if the bikes didn't slide around like on ice and bounce around as if there was helium in the tires. And yeah, the sticky tires help a little but not much.

MUD's bike's speed seem about right. Some games (like MTX Mototrax...which is a good game btw) are just too fast and exaggerate the bikes speed. MUD's speed seems about right. Even Reflex seems too fast to me but a lot of this may just be the downright lack of friction to the bike.

In MUD you do have to use throttle control...especially on some tracks like The Netherlands track where some braking and especially throttle control is crucial. If you just pin it (like all the older MX vs ATV games) then you will not make thru any of the tight turns. This is good and again some of the tracks are quite technical and tight.

You can race the AI and go bar to bar with them and go back and forth in tight quarters without it being a ridiculous goonfest like Alive was or a touchy situation like Reflex where any brush of contact sends you hundreds of yards thru the air. Hated that.

The AI is good. I can win on Normal pretty consistently but usually get smoked on Hard and haven't even tried Extreme.

The attention to detail in the riders and bikes is so cool. Right down to Dungey's Nike boots on his MXDN gear and CR22's cool looking TwoTwo MXDN bike.

So you wee what I mean. MUD is so hard to peg down. In some regards it seems like light years behind and can't hold a candle to the control, cameras, sounds and physics of Reflex and Alive (though again Reflex was too bouncy and you felt like you were on ice). But in almost all other ways the game is far superior such as tracks, full points series, attention to detail on real bikes, rider gear and sponsors, 16 riders on gate, proper scaling, proper speeds and tracks that require throttle control and real riders riding like they should in real life making the points series and race results realistic and not random like in every other MX game.
motoman617
6/10/2012 6:15pm
Thanks for the information and review. I just ordered a copy on Ebay from a seller in Australia that had a real high rating. Says it is the PAL UK/Europe/Aus version. I'll post back after I get it and confirm it works. Hope so..

The Shop

6/10/2012 10:12pm Edited Date/Time 6/10/2012 10:17pm
I got mine from the UK but if it is PAL you should be fine.

MUD is a very bewildering game. They get all the little things right like all the real teams/riders/bikes, a points series, AI that rides intelligently, pro riders that finish where they should and at least somewhat more realistic track layouts that MX vs ATV consistently ignored for years but you will terribly miss the sophisticated control and physics of Alive or Reflex as well as the sounds and camera views. Although they are still arcade/sim-like, Alive/Reflex did get the physics pretty good. MUD seems real dated in this regard, behind even the excellent old Carmicahel titles like MX2002 and Superfly

Anyway, let me know when you get it. Also, the game has gamma correction as an option. You will want to brighten it up immediately as it is a very dark game. It can be easily done, though.

Off topic but for the record, I still think EA's Supercross 2000 on the N64/PSX is still one of if not the best MX/SX game ever made. Way ahead of it's time with realistic physics, commentary with Art Eckman and David Bailey, full replica tracks and points series, Heats, LCQs and 20 lap Mains and more.
motoman617
6/26/2012 8:10am
Finally got my Xbox copy of MUD yesterday. Full two weeks to get here regular mail from Australia. It is marked as the PAL version on the front and it works fine on my US Xbox 360s.

Played a couple of quick races last night. First impressions are a little mixed. First race I did I could hardly see where to go. Had to bump up the brightness on the TV a bunch to see. No adjustment in game for brightness that I could find. I ran off the track a bunch by jumping over the course banners. The two tracks I tried need to be a little wider.I would guess the rest are about the same. I won't say much till I spend some more time with it. Coming from Alive on the 360 and Reflex on the PC MUD is really an adjustment.

Your threads made me pull out some of the older games for the PS and original XBOX. Been playing MTX: Mototrax on the PC the last week or so. For as old as it is I enjoy that game.

Anyway I'll spend some more time with it in the next week or so. Like you I buy most moto games that come out and each has + & - about them. I will say at this early point everybody doesn't know how lucky we were to have the MX vs. ATV series.

More later.

Jim
6/26/2012 9:35am
Jim, your brightness problem is an easy fix. Bump up the Gamma Correction in the options menu. Bear in mind that for some reason this feature does not save so each time you load up the game on your 360 that you will have to increase the Gamma Correction. I have mine almost all the way to the right...probably at about 85%.

That will correct the darkness of the game issue just like that.
6/26/2012 9:46am
Though I think Reflex and Alive have the best gameplay in any moto console games it was Rainbow/THQ's design that bothered me most. They always said that "real tracks wouldn't be fun". False....as the only decent track in Alive is a real one. (JS7). And if they couldn't get the licenses (like MX2002 and Superfly had) they could take the basi designs of the real tracks, change their name and design a bit and there you have it. No money spent. That and the fact that they refused to do a full points series pretty much makes their games just an exhibition race 1 and out game. Which gets pretty pointless.

If you had the layout game design of MUD or EA Supercross 2000 to go along with the gameplay, control, physics and graphics of Reflex/Alive you would have an incredible game. But each does some great and pretty much ignores the other.

Hopefully, at some point, someone takes a chanc eon a new Supercross game.
motoman617
6/26/2012 7:00pm
Jim, your brightness problem is an easy fix. Bump up the Gamma Correction in the options menu. Bear in mind that for some reason this feature...
Jim, your brightness problem is an easy fix. Bump up the Gamma Correction in the options menu. Bear in mind that for some reason this feature does not save so each time you load up the game on your 360 that you will have to increase the Gamma Correction. I have mine almost all the way to the right...probably at about 85%.

That will correct the darkness of the game issue just like that.
Thanks for the tip I didn't look at the manual last night and didn't realize you had to get into a game first then hit pause to get to an options menu with gamma on it. Strange...

I agree with your comments about how some things they get so right and other things feel like I'm playing a game from a few years ago.

Anyway off to race some more.

Later,

Jim
OFalk280
6/27/2012 2:42am
I got mine about 2 weeks ago it took about a week to get here from the UK. I thought that this copy was no doubt playable on US 360s and I'm only just finding out that pretty much no one knew. The online is fun but it's impossible to get into a game because they're running on their time and us on our time. You have to be up early or play at about 5 or 6 pm to get into a game. Which is hard if you have a busy life! Add my gamertag on Xbox and we'll set up lobbies for us American players. My GT is ToPic MuDCaTs.
9/25/2012 4:10am
Despite the arcade nature of MUD...and I generally do not like an arcade approach to my titles at all....I still think that MUD provides the actual best and most competitive racing in any console MX game. Which leads to a lot of fun.

I know there will be some who flame away...and like I said....I would much prefer a more sim appraoch...but with all that being said having the complete FIM license, all the attention to detail on the riders/bikes/gear/ teams, the legitimate full points series with AI riders who are ratings based meaning the better riders such as Herlings, Roczen, Searle, Cairoli will be up front most races and up front in points series along with the best actual racing against the CPU AI make this game a winner for me.

Yes, I wish it had more realistic physics and control but this game did a TON right in it's first effort. Lets hope their is enough support for a sequel as the Milestone team has proven they can do simulations. Hopefully they get support with MUD but also will listen to constructive criticism asking for better physics and control.

Post a reply to: MUD PAL copies DO work on US 360s. Plus my review/thoughts.

The Latest