Titanium seat brackets for YZ125 and 250

Related:
Create New Tag

10/17/2019 5:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/17/2019 5:42 AM

Excuse me if this is the wrong section, please move if so.

I have hand fabricated a few titanium seat brackets for my personal YZ and a few friends have expressed their interest in buying some. I used .025 and had no failures for roughly 15 hours. That's about half the thickness of the OEM steel brackets.

If you've never worked with Ti, it's extremely labor intensive to cut by hand, smooth edges and drill holes. Bending is an adventure itself. It takes about an hour per bracket with basic hand tools. My time is valuable to me, so I won't be doing more by hand, but have found a local waterjet company that could do it in batches.

I'm just starting this process, so I don't know my costs or what prices will be for each part. I'm merely gauging interest. If enough people show interest, I'll pursue the project. Right now, the parts will be limited to YZ 2 strokes (19??-2020) and any others that share that part number. If interested, please indicate a fair price that you'd be willing to pay so I can plan accordingly.

|

IG and YouTube @black_dog_moto

Manufacturing titanium seat brackets for YZ 125 and 250. PM on Vital or IG for more info!

10/17/2019 7:32 AM

I would be interested in a set depending on price. That being said you will see a large variance in your costing based on how many sets you are able to produce. I would try to get some ideas on price based on 5, 10, 20+ sets of these so we can see if this make financial sense. I’m currently trying to get a group order off the ground for carbon fiber clutch & ignition covers & even at 5 pieces it has been a challenge.

|

10/17/2019 6:19 PM

Black Dog Moto wrote:

Excuse me if this is the wrong section, please move if so.

I have hand fabricated a few titanium seat brackets for my personal YZ and a few friends have expressed their interest in buying some. I used .025 and had no failures for roughly 15 hours. That's about half the thickness of the OEM steel brackets.

If you've never worked with Ti, it's extremely labor intensive to cut by hand, smooth edges and drill holes. Bending is an adventure itself. It takes about an hour per bracket with basic hand tools. My time is valuable to me, so I won't be doing more by hand, but have found a local waterjet company that could do it in batches.

I'm just starting this process, so I don't know my costs or what prices will be for each part. I'm merely gauging interest. If enough people show interest, I'll pursue the project. Right now, the parts will be limited to YZ 2 strokes (19??-2020) and any others that share that part number. If interested, please indicate a fair price that you'd be willing to pay so I can plan accordingly.

Have some pics? Seat brackets like the ones that bolt the seat down back by the rear fender?

|

10/17/2019 8:23 PM

I'd be interested $50-$60 a set or whatever you can give reason for

|

10/20/2019 4:25 AM

I’d also be interested in a set

|

10/20/2019 4:33 AM

I'd be keen on 2 sets

|

10/29/2019 6:04 AM

You going to do it?

|

10/29/2019 6:20 AM

Give us an idea on price. Talk to water jet company and report back. I'll be a maybe bc I'm not spending 100 bucks on seat brackets.

|

10/29/2019 8:19 AM

I second exactly what mx391 said

|

10/29/2019 8:24 PM

I’ m in if price is good

|

11/2/2019 2:57 PM

👍🏻

|

11/4/2019 8:53 AM

Nice! Now to just try & keep it to the “dollar to gram ratio” rule of thumb going 😎
Thanks for the update & let us know how things are progressing.

|

11/18/2019 7:44 AM

Do you have pictures of the ones on your bike?

|

12/11/2019 10:36 PM

Any word from your 2 different metal cutters on price?

I’m working on a set too. Went with .06” for the first sample run but will do a set in .04” or .025” as well per your experience. I also have 4 of the m6x12mm mounting bolts ordered in titanium for it as well.
Photo
Photo

|

12/12/2019 12:36 AM

Interested.

|

James

12/12/2019 2:47 AM

cdoggy81 wrote:

Any word from your 2 different metal cutters on price?

I’m working on a set too. Went with .06” for the first sample run but will do a set in .04” or .025” as well per your experience. I also have 4 of the m6x12mm mounting bolts ordered in titanium for it as well.
Photo
Photo

If your grain orientation is the way it looks, you will snap them in half when bending them. Ask me how I know!

|

Manufacturing titanium seat brackets for YZ 125 and 250. PM on Vital or IG for more info!

12/12/2019 6:32 AM

Haha, good eye!!! smile we were seeing how many we could fit on the sample piece of flat stock. Going to try the thinner stuff next as well. Glad you had success with .025” as I would have not tried it had you not already.
Thanks & looking to see what your guys come back with.

|

12/18/2019 7:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/19/2019 5:13 AM

Thanks the update.
If you have these already done up in CAD can you email them to me or send me the .pdf 2D printable rendering of it? I can email a few different people to get quotes as well. From my quick asking around the problem will be bending then... 😐 same basic issue: no one wants to bend just 10 pieces of titanium. I haven’t cut or bent my set yet either so curious as to how hard are they to bend? I have a small vise & a little torch so I figured I can make them move 😎

|

12/18/2019 11:18 PM

Hey man, I run a fabrication facility with a waterjet. I’d be happy to get you quote. DM me for contact info.

|

1/6/2020 4:45 AM

First batch of brackets made. Unfortunately, the grain orientation request was forgotten about. Still going to try to bend them. If it works, I will have 8 sets ready to go soon.

Photo

|

1/6/2020 8:00 PM

Gotta love when they don’t listen to your requests...
Water jet or milled?
You going to try heat then bend or ???Hopefully it works!
Any idea on price yet?

|

1/7/2020 3:08 AM

They were done with a water jet. They could stand to be tumbled to take the edges off but it's not bad. My guy suggested bending without heat. Let me get some bent up and I'll come up with a final price.

|

1/7/2020 5:17 PM

Here we go. 5 sets done. Who wants a raw set as pictured? Photo

|

1/7/2020 5:51 PM

Black Dog Moto wrote:

Here we go. 5 sets done. Who wants a raw set as pictured? Photo

How much are you thinking?

|

1/7/2020 6:04 PM

It’s a huge pain in the ass to bend these and get them to match each other. With the cost of material and fabrication, I’m pretty much breaking even at $65 a set. I’ll have a total of 7 sets available, but if there’s more interest I’ll make more.

|

1/7/2020 6:27 PM

I'll take a set

|

1/8/2020 6:45 AM

Update: I'll media blast all the brackets. Makes them look way better without the grain and surface irregularities. I did try torching two sets and think they look okay. Nothing like billet or anodizing, but a neat customization.

Photo
Photo

|

1/8/2020 9:33 AM

I’ll take a a set

|

1/8/2020 9:33 AM

Does anyone Make a carbon seat base?

|

1/8/2020 9:46 AM

Niklas46Smigel wrote:

Does anyone Make a carbon seat base?

Think and maybe guts make carbon bases. But none for yz. I bet they would make one for a cost. Maybe the guy from the clutch cover group would be down to make some.

|