Testing the waters for selling my RM 250.

jeffro503
Edited Date/Time 4/19/2017 4:27am
So yesterday morning I decided that I need to sell the 06' RM 250. I posted an ad on CL to just gauge the interest on it. I've had 3 guys get a hold of me already , and one guy says he wants to drive down from Olympia WA to pick it up.

This post isn't really a " for sale ad " here on Vital , but more of just a " validation needed " type post.

My shop is small. It fits two bikes great , but a 3rd bike really makes it hard to move around in there and get anything done. Playing musical chairs. I plan on doing some racing again this summer , and have this new Husky TC 125 , and I really , really want to pair it up with a TC 250. I want to race both , and having a matching pair is something I've always wanted.

But damn it! The RM has been so damn good to me , it's been a really tough thing trying to decide to let it go. I want to be some what competitive on some newer equipment , and even though the RM is awesome , it's also 11 years older.

Bottom line is....I can't get the TC 250 , unless the RM goes away. I need/want to be on something new for the racing season , but getting rid of the RM is going to be one of the hardest bike sales I've ever had to do.

|
BobPA
4/18/2017 9:26am
Build a bigger shop Whistling
jeffro503
4/18/2017 9:41am
BobPA wrote:
Build a bigger shop Whistling
Belive me I wish I could but it's a rental. Maintaining 3 bikes is a little much too.
TSCHAM101
4/18/2017 9:54am
Keep the rm, seems to have sentimental value to you, and nobody can pay to replace memories.

250 2 stroke now vs 14 years ago are pretty similar. I don't think you'll be any more competitive on it then you are now
mjr119
4/18/2017 10:10am
Keep the RM. You won't find another one like it and you will regret selling it. I am sure you will love the new bike, but those are so easy to come by. Any young adult with a little bit of income, credit, and stupidity can go get a new bike. The RM is a classic and you can't just walk out and buy them anymore. Just my 2 cents.

The Shop

mxb2
4/18/2017 10:13am
Win win. For you jeffro,. If ya keep it you have a sick rm, if you sell it you have a sick new huskyTongue
b8res
4/18/2017 10:21am
Jeffro...you sell that bike and you'll be kicking your own ass! I have the same exact bike and could not pry it away from me! You sell it, you'll wish you had it back! Don't do it! I also have a multi bike stable and moving bikes around in my work shop is a pain, my shop is an old carriage house that was built in 1915 when our house was built!
jeffro503
4/18/2017 10:25am
I know I'll miss it.....but my gut just tells me to move on. I've only got a couple more years in this sport I think , and I'd like to go out on some newer machinery. Edit :.....The guy just text me and says he wants to make the trip tonight! Says he doesn't want someone else to get it. I think my price was fair , as I don't believe in gouging other moto dudes.
mxb2
4/18/2017 10:28am
jeffro503 wrote:
I know I'll miss it.....but my gut just tells me to move on. I've only got a couple more years in this sport I think...
I know I'll miss it.....but my gut just tells me to move on. I've only got a couple more years in this sport I think , and I'd like to go out on some newer machinery. Edit :.....The guy just text me and says he wants to make the trip tonight! Says he doesn't want someone else to get it. I think my price was fair , as I don't believe in gouging other moto dudes.
What's selling price jeffro? If you don't mind me asking.
mxdevon
4/18/2017 10:33am
Jeff. First off, that's a beautiful RM, nicely done. My favorite was always my 06 RC edition.
Here's my 2 cents coming from a guy who has owned 6 different rm250s from the 04-08 range. I would Sell it, and here's why.
If your like me you get on one and everything just feels "right" and you can ride to your potential without any drama. Love this about that chassis.....it's why I owned so many. I would finally sell my RM250 get a brand new bike and miss the rm, find a used one, hell once I even bought 2 in the same week because I wanted to stockpile a few. Point is, yes your always going to miss the RM and tell stories over beers about how good it was, but......

They're getting long in the tooth and starting to get really hard to find stuff for anymore, aftermarket is basically nonexistent. For a long time it was hard to find a better bike, but that is changing, prime examples are the new huskys that your into, they're just at a different level. Last at the point in life I'm at and seems like you are too it's all about smiles per mile, and having two brand new matching TCs in the garage is going to make you go from 6 to noon every time you walk into and look at them, plus having the same chassis to setup and ride back to back will help you get the most out of yourself and your bikes each time you get to ride, not to mention common parts. Blah blah bla.
You said you wanted validation, hope that helps! You'll miss it but I doubt you'll regret it.
jeffro503
4/18/2017 10:35am
If it goes tonight....I'm going to have a bunch of brand new goodies for RM 250's I'll need to put up here for sale. I wasn't going to give all that stuff away with the bike. It's all still in the boxes. And SHIT!!.....a totally worthless $200.00 graphics set.....just realized that.
jeffro503
4/18/2017 10:42am
mxdevon wrote:
Jeff. First off, that's a beautiful RM, nicely done. My favorite was always my 06 RC edition. Here's my 2 cents coming from a guy who...
Jeff. First off, that's a beautiful RM, nicely done. My favorite was always my 06 RC edition.
Here's my 2 cents coming from a guy who has owned 6 different rm250s from the 04-08 range. I would Sell it, and here's why.
If your like me you get on one and everything just feels "right" and you can ride to your potential without any drama. Love this about that chassis.....it's why I owned so many. I would finally sell my RM250 get a brand new bike and miss the rm, find a used one, hell once I even bought 2 in the same week because I wanted to stockpile a few. Point is, yes your always going to miss the RM and tell stories over beers about how good it was, but......

They're getting long in the tooth and starting to get really hard to find stuff for anymore, aftermarket is basically nonexistent. For a long time it was hard to find a better bike, but that is changing, prime examples are the new huskys that your into, they're just at a different level. Last at the point in life I'm at and seems like you are too it's all about smiles per mile, and having two brand new matching TCs in the garage is going to make you go from 6 to noon every time you walk into and look at them, plus having the same chassis to setup and ride back to back will help you get the most out of yourself and your bikes each time you get to ride, not to mention common parts. Blah blah bla.
You said you wanted validation, hope that helps! You'll miss it but I doubt you'll regret it.
Thanks for that Devin! This isn't " spur of the moment " type sell either. Been thinking about it a lot over the past few months. And like you , even though I know I love the RM , I think a new Husky will fill that void the RM will leave behind. I seriously can't fit 3 bikes in my shop...so I have to make a judgement call.

@ Billy.....I put it up for $3800.00. It comes with a new top end rebuild still in the box , along with a full new plastic set.

Meeting the guy at 7pm. Another guy from WA state said he would pay full price as well , but can't get here until tomorrow. My damn ad says " No trades "...and I've already got jack off messages about trading for quads and street bikes! Another guy claiming to be poor and offered $2200.00 haha!
mxb2
4/18/2017 10:48am
mxdevon wrote:
Jeff. First off, that's a beautiful RM, nicely done. My favorite was always my 06 RC edition. Here's my 2 cents coming from a guy who...

jeffro503 wrote:
Thanks for that Devin! This isn't " spur of the moment " type sell either. Been thinking about it a lot over the past few months...
Thanks for that Devin! This isn't " spur of the moment " type sell either. Been thinking about it a lot over the past few months. And like you , even though I know I love the RM , I think a new Husky will fill that void the RM will leave behind. I seriously can't fit 3 bikes in my shop...so I have to make a judgement call.

@ Billy.....I put it up for $3800.00. It comes with a new top end rebuild still in the box , along with a full new plastic set.

Meeting the guy at 7pm. Another guy from WA state said he would pay full price as well , but can't get here until tomorrow. My damn ad says " No trades "...and I've already got jack off messages about trading for quads and street bikes! Another guy claiming to be poor and offered $2200.00 haha!
Very fair price, stick to it., Yea. Gotta love people who don't read the ad,and ask to trade or low ball you. Claiming to be be poor,lol. You don't need a dirt bike then.
ledger
4/18/2017 10:57am
mxb2 wrote:
Win win. For you jeffro,. If ya keep it you have a sick rm, if you sell it you have a sick new huskyTongue
Bingo !!, lol. Could you treat the RM like a child and give the bike it's own bedroom ? That is one helluva good look'n RM and there is no doubt you would miss it when it's gone. mxb2 made a very valid point, and to be honest, I would say...go with your gut feeling.
G-man
4/18/2017 11:32am
Nice bike don't sell it you'll regret it believe me hang onto it for life she's a keeper put it in the house win win you can thank me later. Cool
jeffro503
4/18/2017 11:38am
Going through all this stuff I have for her. Christ!! I'm having 2nd thoughts. Thinking of how to make 3 bikes fit. I'm literally sick to my stomach right now.
mxb2
4/18/2017 11:45am
jeffro503 wrote:
Going through all this stuff I have for her. Christ!! I'm having 2nd thoughts. Thinking of how to make 3 bikes fit. I'm literally sick to...
Going through all this stuff I have for her. Christ!! I'm having 2nd thoughts. Thinking of how to make 3 bikes fit. I'm literally sick to my stomach right now.
Imo,. Keep it, you have parts, your time in it. Once it's gone it's gone. As sick as the huskys are, they are a dime a dozen, you can always get one of those, clean rm smoker. , Not so much . My 2 cents.
DrSweden
4/18/2017 12:09pm
Oh boy. Store the RM at a buddy or something if you don't dare selling it. But sure a RC replica is tits, but it's just graphics and rims, and there are other RMs out there for way less than 3800, so really no real worries. Find out if the TC is really better, then make up your mind. I doubt you will find the TC being a revolution, just different. So I'm sure you need to go back and forth between the two and have some agony.

But people don't need three bikes to be happy, I doubt they even need two.
jeffro503
4/18/2017 12:20pm
I swear I'm such a head case when it comes to this stuff. I just cancelled with the guy and told him I changed my mind on selling it. $3800.00 wouldn't replace the fun I would have on this thing , so I'll just have to make the 3 bikes fit. Started looking at all this extra stuff , and it just sank in that if I sold it , i'd regret it the second it was gone. I can't get rid of this thing right now , I think i'd be pissed at myself for a long time. She's staying.
RBernardi85
4/18/2017 12:25pm
I vote that you keep it. I'd sell the TC125 and find a RM and build it to match/or close to it. You could be just as competitive, if not more on a dialed 11 year old bike.
4/18/2017 12:26pm
Can u find a shed to store it in? Sometimes people need to unload those small sheds and you'll find them on cl. Rent a storage unit till u figure out extra space?
rob162
4/18/2017 1:16pm
True nothings better then matching freshies. I say Keep it its been awhile since ive checked but that bike is almost old enough to start vintage racing it i believe! Turn it into a off road woods bike. Hell my old rm i turned into a flat tracker till it blew up. Dont replace it. repurpose it. Then Get the TC for MX.
JWACK
4/18/2017 1:30pm
If you ride the tc, and decide the tc isn't better than the rm and you don't like it I'll trade you an absolutely mint 04 RM 250.

bsharkey
4/18/2017 1:56pm
Keep it jeff. Mine was about the same shape as yours I sold it at less than 30 minutes for $3,500 it must have had 30 calls than 2 hours at least I wish I would have kept it
bsharkey
4/18/2017 1:59pm
Keep it jeff. Mine was about the same shape as yours I sold it at less than 30 minutes for $3,500 it must have had 30 calls than 2 hours at least I wish I would have kept it. I haven't owned a lot of Suzukis in my lifetime but there's one thing for certain of 04,05 and 06 RM 250 are pure gold
JWACK
4/18/2017 2:05pm
bsharkey wrote:
Keep it jeff. Mine was about the same shape as yours I sold it at less than 30 minutes for $3,500 it must have had 30...
Keep it jeff. Mine was about the same shape as yours I sold it at less than 30 minutes for $3,500 it must have had 30 calls than 2 hours at least I wish I would have kept it. I haven't owned a lot of Suzukis in my lifetime but there's one thing for certain of 04,05 and 06 RM 250 are pure gold
And don't forget 07 and 08! I have two 04s and an 05 still. had a 07 and 08. All very good!
Dragoo168
4/18/2017 3:43pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I swear I'm such a head case when it comes to this stuff. I just cancelled with the guy and told him I changed my mind...
I swear I'm such a head case when it comes to this stuff. I just cancelled with the guy and told him I changed my mind on selling it. $3800.00 wouldn't replace the fun I would have on this thing , so I'll just have to make the 3 bikes fit. Started looking at all this extra stuff , and it just sank in that if I sold it , i'd regret it the second it was gone. I can't get rid of this thing right now , I think i'd be pissed at myself for a long time. She's staying.
Good for you man, there's no way in hell I'd get rid of mine if I didn't have to! I get sick to my stomach just thinking about it, but for the reason I'm doing it, I don't have a choice. For me right now, it's financial, health, and a bunch of other crap all wrapped into one package, but to make room,...Um No, LOL!!! I've let too many things go these last couple of years, trying to keep up with medical bills, etc, but there has to be a point that you just keep shit for the sake of because you want to!!! Smile
Turbojez
4/19/2017 4:20am Edited Date/Time 4/19/2017 4:27am
Jeffro, If you ever find the lack of space uncomfortable just let me know. I can store that RM for you free of charge. I'll even start it up from time to time... Grinning

BTW If that's not true love, than I don't know what is... Wink
Forty
4/24/2017 8:12pm
JWACK wrote:
If you ride the tc, and decide the tc isn't better than the rm and you don't like it I'll trade you an absolutely mint 04...
If you ride the tc, and decide the tc isn't better than the rm and you don't like it I'll trade you an absolutely mint 04 RM 250.

I could go for that bike.
DrSweden
4/25/2017 2:52am
He came to his senses, and already decide to keep it. Cool
JWACK
4/25/2017 4:16am
JWACK wrote:
If you ride the tc, and decide the tc isn't better than the rm and you don't like it I'll trade you an absolutely mint 04...

Forty wrote:
I could go for that bike.
It could be yours.!

Post a reply to: Testing the waters for selling my RM 250.

The Latest