Showa SFF TAC kx

NJKawi913
8/21/2017 4:53am
I am looking to either trade the forks off my 15 KX450F for a comparable spring fork, or sell it outright. I would muhc rather trade, but if the price is right i will sell it. The forks have been revalve by RG3 for a 200 lb B-rider, and in getting a rebuild right now. I am tired of these air forks and cant get a feel for the, they are getting freshened up and i want to change to what i know works.
|
NJKawi913
8/21/2017 5:52am Edited Date/Time 8/21/2017 5:53am
@lips395 wrote:
https://www.krooztune.com/products/sff-style-kxf-fork-kit

A spring conversion kit is a great option
These guys do a kit for the tac fork if you email them
i looked into them, the ohlins cartidges, and the race tech kit. All of which are optoins on my radar, but i still would like to see if there is a market for my air forks, and start fresh. Im sure all those kits are more than sufficent for my needs, but these forks have left a bad taste in my mouth.
macz400
8/21/2017 6:59am
@lips395 wrote:

NJKawi913 wrote:
i looked into them, the ohlins cartidges, and the race tech kit. All of which are optoins on my radar, but i still would like to...
i looked into them, the ohlins cartidges, and the race tech kit. All of which are optoins on my radar, but i still would like to see if there is a market for my air forks, and start fresh. Im sure all those kits are more than sufficent for my needs, but these forks have left a bad taste in my mouth.
How much for the kx air forks?
NJKawi913
8/21/2017 8:25am
@lips395 wrote:

NJKawi913 wrote:
i looked into them, the ohlins cartidges, and the race tech kit. All of which are optoins on my radar, but i still would like to...
macz400 wrote:
$1,100 is my selling price.

The Shop

K-Dub613
8/21/2017 8:35am
NJKawi913 wrote:
macz400 wrote:
NJKawi913 wrote:
I have a 2017 KX450 and sent my forks off to Pro Circuit for their Spring Conversion. I absolutely love them. I would recommend PC Spring conversion and hanging on to the forks you have. I think I paid around $800 for the spring conversion and the spring for my weight.

Look into them and give them a call.
NJKawi913
8/21/2017 9:30am
macz400 wrote:
NJKawi913 wrote:
K-Dub613 wrote:
I have a 2017 KX450 and sent my forks off to Pro Circuit for their Spring Conversion. I absolutely love them. I would recommend PC Spring...
I have a 2017 KX450 and sent my forks off to Pro Circuit for their Spring Conversion. I absolutely love them. I would recommend PC Spring conversion and hanging on to the forks you have. I think I paid around $800 for the spring conversion and the spring for my weight.

I read into their stuff kits as well, saw they were on back order from their website. I called to get an idea of how long they would be and the person i spoke with told me anywhere from 3-6 months.
mxb2
8/21/2017 11:29am
NJKawi913 wrote:
K-Dub613 wrote:
I have a 2017 KX450 and sent my forks off to Pro Circuit for their Spring Conversion. I absolutely love them. I would recommend PC Spring...

NJKawi913 wrote:
I read into their stuff kits as well, saw they were on back order from their website. I called to get an idea of how long...
I read into their stuff kits as well, saw they were on back order from their website. I called to get an idea of how long they would be and the person i spoke with told me anywhere from 3-6 months.
Call factory connection.
NJKawi913
8/23/2017 5:03am
What air pressures are you running?
185psi inner, 5 psi outter, and 180psi balance. 300ml oil level
K-Dub613
8/23/2017 6:20am
K-Dub613 wrote:

NJKawi913 wrote:
I read into their stuff kits as well, saw they were on back order from their website. I called to get an idea of how long...
mxb2 wrote:
Call factory connection.
Or you can call JGR. They have a conversion that is similar to PC. It has an Air Assist (I think anywhere from 0-30 PSI) if you want it. Mine came with 10 PSI and its perfect.

PC told me the same thing and then they said just send them in. It took around 6 days and we had to deal with all the other services from riders due to Loretta's coming up.

As for your settings, I played with the pressure a lot and I couldn't find that happy stop. considering I was only riding one track that is super close to home in the attempt to limit the track condition changes.

NJKawi913
8/23/2017 7:00am
NJKawi913 wrote:
mxb2 wrote:
Call factory connection.
K-Dub613 wrote:
Or you can call JGR. They have a conversion that is similar to PC. It has an Air Assist (I think anywhere from 0-30 PSI) if...
Or you can call JGR. They have a conversion that is similar to PC. It has an Air Assist (I think anywhere from 0-30 PSI) if you want it. Mine came with 10 PSI and its perfect.

PC told me the same thing and then they said just send them in. It took around 6 days and we had to deal with all the other services from riders due to Loretta's coming up.

As for your settings, I played with the pressure a lot and I couldn't find that happy stop. considering I was only riding one track that is super close to home in the attempt to limit the track condition changes.

Honestly if i am going to spend anymore money on these forks it will be the ohlins ttx cartridges. However i already got a good deal of money into these forks and am looking to scale back to a 250 by the end of year. If i cant find a set of forks to swap with and not incur another cost, ill just rebuild these and stick it out.
8/23/2017 12:09pm
NJKawi913 wrote:
Holy crap, man. I'm about 190lbs without gear and usually run 180 inner/10 outer/200 balance with 350ml of oil in the damping side, with RaceTech gold valve and valving for an int rider.

What problems are you having? Is it the initial feel, the mid stroke, or the bottoming?

I think you need to be using more outer and balance pressure. In my experience the balance pressure always needs to be slightly higher than the inner pressure for a good initial feel. Then again, RG3 may have some heavy valving in your setup to accommodate the soft spring pressures you are using.

Keep in mind that you have compression and rebound clickers to adjust. People get too carried away with using the air pressure to define the overall suspension action and sometimes forget the damping adjustments help a lot. I've seen multiple guys with showa SFF TAC forks making this mistake. I think its part of the reason the forks get a bad rep.
NJKawi913
8/23/2017 1:33pm
NJKawi913 wrote:
Holy crap, man. I'm about 190lbs without gear and usually run 180 inner/10 outer/200 balance with 350ml of oil in the damping side, with RaceTech gold...
Holy crap, man. I'm about 190lbs without gear and usually run 180 inner/10 outer/200 balance with 350ml of oil in the damping side, with RaceTech gold valve and valving for an int rider.

What problems are you having? Is it the initial feel, the mid stroke, or the bottoming?

I think you need to be using more outer and balance pressure. In my experience the balance pressure always needs to be slightly higher than the inner pressure for a good initial feel. Then again, RG3 may have some heavy valving in your setup to accommodate the soft spring pressures you are using.

Keep in mind that you have compression and rebound clickers to adjust. People get too carried away with using the air pressure to define the overall suspension action and sometimes forget the damping adjustments help a lot. I've seen multiple guys with showa SFF TAC forks making this mistake. I think its part of the reason the forks get a bad rep.
When i had first set it up i was running 190 inner, 0 outter, and 190 balance. I was told by the guy that built the forks for me that the equal pressures in the inner and outter would make it act most like a spring fork. Which I did find to be true, however the inital hit was harsh. I backed it down to what i am running now and added some rebound and compression to it to keep it from bottoming. I now battle a lot with the front end wanting to either push right through a corner or dive into it.

I do think that these forks can be tuned to feel great, but i only get out to ride and race a couple times a month. What i hate is spending time at the track making changes to my bike, only hoping to make it better. I think the average weekend warrior is not the right market for these forks.

Post a reply to: Showa SFF TAC kx

The Latest