Serious Question About Motorcycle Market

Related:
Create New Tag

9/21/2017 11:08 AM

Hey guys, I work in the motorcycle industry just not involved in motocross. I am trying to sell my 2015 RMZ450 with 7hrs on it. It has a Faster USA wheelset, seat cover, and pro taper pegs. Otherwise it is bone stock. I am just trying to get rid of this thing its collecting dust obviously I never ride it. Here is my question. The average retail market value for that bike is $5200. A brand new 450 is like 8k. I am asking $4999 and will entertain offers above 4500. Am I being unrealistic? Is the industry struggling that bad that nobody will buy a brand new RMZ450 with a $1000 wheelset for $4000 less than a new one? Most offers I have received have been around $3500. Just wanted to get some of your opinions on this because I feel as If this bike should sell for $5000 all day long it is a brand new bike.

|

9/21/2017 11:15 AM

For down reason suzukis don't hold as much value as say Honda Yamaha kawi ktm etc,I mean I see used 2016 250 in my area going for 3000 to 4200 but it all depends on the area ,I was always Honda guy and last bike I had was a 09 450 with a bunch of work and I sold it for 5100 which I think I got lucky on but like I said it's so hard to say,I think personally your price is pretty decent

|

9/21/2017 11:32 AM

Someone touched on this a few days ago in another thread. I'm in the same boat, low hour clean 2015 CRF450 for sell. IMO, there are a lot of people who can finance a new bike much easier than come up with $4-5k cash for a couple year old bike. That's the exact position I was in when I got back in to riding. A lot of my buddies either finance new or buy a clapped out older bike and fix it up because they cant swing the initial cash investment of a more modern used bike. Hope that makes some sense..

|

9/21/2017 11:56 AM

Squirtlege wrote:

Someone touched on this a few days ago in another thread. I'm in the same boat, low hour clean 2015 CRF450 for sell. IMO, there are a lot of people who can finance a new bike much easier than come up with $4-5k cash for a couple year old bike. That's the exact position I was in when I got back in to riding. A lot of my buddies either finance new or buy a clapped out older bike and fix it up because they cant swing the initial cash investment of a more modern used bike. Hope that makes some sense..

I think this is accurate, I sold a supermoto bike earlier in the year for 6k and the only serious buyer had to go get a personal loan at a bank so he could bring me cash.

That and as mentioned, Suzuki has been heavily discounted new and the used ones have dropped in price as well. Good luck!

|

9/21/2017 12:04 PM

I know that local credit unions will finance this bike all day for $5,000. I'm glad to hear that I'm not completely insane. Thank you guys for your input!

|

9/21/2017 12:23 PM

I've been seeing a lot of 4 strokes up for sale lately here in the La/Tx area. And they aren't selling. All different brands too. But I did like Squirtlege said. Recently bought a roached kx250 to build back up. These 2 strokes have been selling faster that's for sure.

|

9/21/2017 1:17 PM

I would say 4000-4500

|

9/21/2017 2:02 PM

I think if you hold out long enough you will get $4500 at least.

Suzukis don't seem to be as attractive to people as you'd think. I waited over a month with mine on CL with people trying to lowball me or no-showing.

|

If you're not mixing gas, you're not haulin ass.

9/21/2017 2:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/21/2017 2:36 PM

Couple of reasons why:

1. It's a bad time of the year to sell bikes in CA (Typically early winter is when prices tick back up)

2. The new RMZ being released probably didn't help

3. Suzukis for some reason just don't hold value on the re-sale market (This seems true for 2-strokes as well)

|

If it can't be fixed with a hammer, it's an electrical problem.

9/21/2017 2:39 PM

Thank you guys for the input I will hold my ground. Its not being used so its just sitting there brand new waiting to be ridden

|

9/28/2017 2:07 PM

Im bummed about this also because I am in the same situation. I have ESRD, and picked up a bike for exercise, but can't ride it for more than 5 min at a time it seems. I'm just too sick to get out to ride these days. I booked it at $4750. on KBB, and it has around $3000. extra parts and mods done to it. I was going to ask $5000., but have been hesitant to make up the ad because I have a gut feeling what the results are going to be. IT SUCKS! Mine is a 2013 RMZ, Literally Like new, with full Hinson Billetproof clutch kit, PC Ti-6 full exhaust system, X-Trig clamp set, MB1 Suspension revalve (feels amazing!), a Proven Moto built engine w/trans gears tumbled and coated, PC High comp piston, Moto seat cvr, Renthal Twinwalls, various Works Connection items and clutch assy. It bums me out that it just sits in the garage. I'd even trade it for some kind of a hot rod but nobody sees the same value of a 5k bike to a 5k car, LOL! Good luck with your sale RAB.

|

9/28/2017 4:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/28/2017 4:11 PM

I don't know how it is in CA but in AL or the southeast in general the market is flooded with used 15,16,17 model bikes. You can go on FB and look for 10 minutes and find a used 17 YZ450 with 30 hours on it for $5500.

A really good friend of mine just bought a used 17 KTM 450sxf with 21 hrs on it from a dealership for $6500. And it came with brand new plastic and a FMF full Ti exhaust. The same guy put his 16 YZ450 up for sale when he bought the KTM and decided he liked it better than the YZF. The YZ has 23 hrs on it with unbreakable levers, Full FMF Ti exhaust, FC linkage and full JGR suspension. He had it for sale for $5500 didn't get one call or message on FB. He put it all back to stock including the stock plastic with no #'s on it. Listed it for $4500 sold it in 2 days.

Another good friend got a 17 KTM450sxf used and had 2 RMZ450's a 13 and 15 model. Both had full suspension, exhaust, other little goodies and low hours on the whole motors in both bikes. Couldn't get any hits on them. Listed them for $6000 together and sold them in a week.

It just depends on how fast you want to sell them really. Like its already been previously mentioned its way easier to get financed for a new bike then it is to go to a bank and pay a higher interest rate they are gonna charge then say Yamaha who is offering 2.99% now on new bikes.

|

9/28/2017 5:18 PM

Dragoo168 wrote:

Im bummed about this also because I am in the same situation. I have ESRD, and picked up a bike for exercise, but can't ride it for more than 5 min at a time it seems. I'm just too sick to get out to ride these days. I booked it at $4750. on KBB, and it has around $3000. extra parts and mods done to it. I was going to ask $5000., but have been hesitant to make up the ad because I have a gut feeling what the results are going to be. IT SUCKS! Mine is a 2013 RMZ, Literally Like new, with full Hinson Billetproof clutch kit, PC Ti-6 full exhaust system, X-Trig clamp set, MB1 Suspension revalve (feels amazing!), a Proven Moto built engine w/trans gears tumbled and coated, PC High comp piston, Moto seat cvr, Renthal Twinwalls, various Works Connection items and clutch assy. It bums me out that it just sits in the garage. I'd even trade it for some kind of a hot rod but nobody sees the same value of a 5k bike to a 5k car, LOL! Good luck with your sale RAB.

That’s a nice setup.

|

9/28/2017 7:07 PM

Depends on what it looks like really. Want to sell something for top dollar and quick make it look new and stock. Sold a 2015 yz450 a month ago for 5k cash and it was gone in less than 48 hours but it looked good, real good.

|

9/28/2017 7:17 PM

racerx217 wrote:

Depends on what it looks like really. Want to sell something for top dollar and quick make it look new and stock. Sold a 2015 yz450 a month ago for 5k cash and it was gone in less than 48 hours but it looked good, real good.

Photo

|

9/28/2017 7:21 PM

This is how to sell a bike in this market. If it does not look this good, good luck...
http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/For-Sale-Bazaar,26/2015-yz450f-extremely-clean,1325232

|

9/28/2017 8:00 PM

I’ve had my bike for sale all over place minus Craigslist, for last month or so and have had basically zero bites on it, 15 yz450 I’m down to where I’d take 4500 still nothing Photo

|

9/29/2017 7:05 AM

The market is rough on rmz450.

I've a very nice 2015, best offer was not good. Get I've seen clapped out 2 strikes advertised for silly money

|

9/29/2017 5:30 PM

motomike894 wrote:

I’ve had my bike for sale all over place minus Craigslist, for last month or so and have had basically zero bites on it, 15 yz450 I’m down to where I’d take 4500 still nothing Photo

Hard to sell a race bike, take the numbers off put all stock plastics back on. Take off all aftermarket parts and ebay them. You will have bites.

|

9/29/2017 6:21 PM

This thread is exactly why I won't try to sell my 2012 with 17 hours. It has B-Kit, porting ,wheels, Vortex etc etc.
May as well keep it. Good luck

Ghost

|



9/29/2017 6:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/29/2017 7:07 PM

I’d say $4000 is what you’re going to get on a good day. Most on the east cost are going for $3500. Depends on location and who is after an RM-Z. Should be worth more but that’s just what I see them going for.

|

9/29/2017 8:08 PM

I’d love to see someone get on here like they do on Facebook Market with a picture of a wad full of cash looking for a bike and say “show me what ya got!” Be like a feeding frenzy!!

|

9/30/2017 4:31 AM

It’ll be interesting to see how soon this sells. Looks clean and is stock. Should sell in no time right?? But I don’t know what Husky was like that year though... Photo

|

9/30/2017 12:58 PM

And the Husky bike that I posted about wondering how long it would last is already gone. I know people that have really well maintained 2014 bikes with > $4k put into them not even getting hits at that price of what the Husky I’m guessing sold at in no time. Unreal.

|

9/30/2017 2:25 PM

its a suzuki thing- the bike doesnt look different from 2008 through 2017, then you factor in the bad rap the air forks have unfairly got.

its sad when you can appreciate how good the RMZ450 is.

|