Looking for BBR XR200 parts

9/10/2022 8:36pm Edited Date/Time 9/13/2022 6:03am
This is definitely a long shot, but I was thinking about trying to get an XR200 project going for Diamond Don's next year and was reading about a kit that BBR sold that allowed you to put an xr200 motor in a cr80 frame. I'm just wondering if somebody happens to have one.

|
Moto Mofo
9/11/2022 4:41am Edited Date/Time 9/11/2022 4:43am
There aren’t many rules for the Diamond Don’s 200 race, but one of them is that you must run a stock 200 frame (which can be modified/reinforced).

The bike shown in your post has a 100 motor. The 200 conversions require quite a bit more fabrication. The vertical tubes have to be lengthened so the much taller 200 engine can physically fit, in addition to creating a new cradle (as all the 85 frame conversions do).

I don’t believe BBR ever sold kits for at-home XR200 frame conversions… pretty sure they did all the fabrication themselves. It’s hard to find any of their old steel frame projects, as they quit doing them over 20 years ago when they started focusing on their own aluminum frames.
9/11/2022 8:52am Edited Date/Time 9/11/2022 10:40am
Thanks for the info about the rule. I didn't realize, But should have known that there was a reason why people weren't going completely wild with the bikes. I thought that looked like a 100cc motor when I was looking at the pictures too. My first memories of BBR were the wild aluminum framed four strokes that they made in the 90s. So this product probably was before that even, so it could be 30 years old at this point.

This was my clue that maybe something existed out there, they have a lot of historical things listed on their website, that they say they don't make anymore.

I have read about some people who have tried it. Of course I don't really have the fabrication knowledge to pull something like this off. But I do have one buddy that could maybe help.

Moto Mofo
9/11/2022 12:28pm
Before they started selling their aluminum frame kits in the late 90s, BBR specialized in doing frame conversions on production frames. Eventually they figured out they could do it better with their own frames, with less compromise. I’m sure you’ve seen while going through their website, they did pretty much every combination imaginable!

The local vintage series here in North TX is running 200s now, but they allow different frames. Most are stuffed into newer 125 or 250F frames, it seems. Sounds like fun!
Cokeham23
9/11/2022 3:03pm
If you’re on Facebook, look up “Midsize-Conversion play bike parts and info”

The Shop

johnk408
9/13/2022 5:25am
I had a XR100 big bore in a CR80 big wheel chassis at one time. It was the most fun I ever had on a bike I think. Wish I would have kept it. My friend still has his 200 conversion, he actually used an ATC200 motor, which is basically an XR200 motor. There may be parts from DMC still floating around to do the 100 conversions, which is where I got mine. But it sounds like it doesn't matter if you need a stock frame anyways.
9/13/2022 6:03am
johnk408 wrote:
I had a XR100 big bore in a CR80 big wheel chassis at one time. It was the most fun I ever had on a bike...
I had a XR100 big bore in a CR80 big wheel chassis at one time. It was the most fun I ever had on a bike I think. Wish I would have kept it. My friend still has his 200 conversion, he actually used an ATC200 motor, which is basically an XR200 motor. There may be parts from DMC still floating around to do the 100 conversions, which is where I got mine. But it sounds like it doesn't matter if you need a stock frame anyways.
Yeah I would need the stock frame to do the race. I do have a lead on possibly a BBR frame, or a CR80 frame that has been converted to take an XR200 motor. Maybe I'll buy it just for the potential long-term project. But I will probably focus on a stock XR200. I was just talking with somebody about how you could possibly put a KX65 gas tank on one and then basically make it a Kawasaki clone, just to be silly cuz it's a playbike. But that's something I was thinking about. I really wanted the KX 125/kx250 tank and shrouds, but that has that twin spar frame, so I figured it would be sort of strange to try and get the tank mounted
9/15/2022 9:46pm
Nothing makes me prouder to be an American this this thread. God bless all of you.

Post a reply to: Looking for BBR XR200 parts

The Latest