Looking for 2012-2015 KTM 150 SX

Edited Date/Time 3/6/2020 5:45pm
Hello members. I am looking to buy a KTM 150 SX between the years 2012-2015. The reason that I am looking for those specific years is that I have a 2004 KTM 200 SX and I want to put my 200 SX engine in the 150 SX frame. Those years will work and my engine will fit right in. I am not interested in anything older than 2012 because I want the updated linkage suspension. I've been looking for months and have not been able to locate one within a thousand miles of where I live in NJ. I even considered going to Canada where I found a couple but importing a bike from Canada is next to impossible without paying an importer $400, and that's without shipping it. bikes are more expensive in Canada due to the weal US dollar.

Any one with a bike those years looking to sell please drop me a line as my search continues. I found one 40 miles from my house but the guy sold it before I could get there. If I can find shipping cheap enough I would consider farther than 1000 miles away but I want to avoid this because I don't like buying a bike without inspecting it first in person.
|
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
3/1/2020 11:04am
My buddy might be selling a 2015 but in California.
3/2/2020 6:23am
Cool thanks Seth. Shipping it that far is what I'm trying to avoid but crazier things have happened. If I find a bike that is already setup the way I would do it, then maybe. I'm reasonable. I know I'm going to have to put money in it one way or another whether it's shipping or getting it set up the way I want. If it's a nice setup bike shipping isn't a problem. If he's selling it, he'll have to take pics and write up a description anyway so have him send it to me. This post or directly email me at thrichmond@hotmail.com.

Thanks man
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3711th
3/2/2020 7:21pm
I did this exact build a few years ago. It’s sweet ass set up! Only mod you need is the top engine mount.

3/2/2020 9:23pm
Wow. Nice looking bike. Yeah I've heard the head stays don't match up. What did you do? Buy different ones or make the old ones work? Did you change the gearing on the 150 after you put the 200 SX engine in it or leave it. Hopefully I can find a 2013 150 SX soon and start the swap. The 200 SX engine is such a great engine. I hope you're enjoying that machine CrGuy2T.

The Shop

T-Fish
Fantasy
173rd
3/2/2020 9:40pm
Wow. Nice looking bike. Yeah I've heard the head stays don't match up. What did you do? Buy different ones or make the old ones work...
Wow. Nice looking bike. Yeah I've heard the head stays don't match up. What did you do? Buy different ones or make the old ones work? Did you change the gearing on the 150 after you put the 200 SX engine in it or leave it. Hopefully I can find a 2013 150 SX soon and start the swap. The 200 SX engine is such a great engine. I hope you're enjoying that machine CrGuy2T.
I used the head stays from the 200 when I swapped mine. As far as gearing goes, you’ll want to run gearing closer to what was on the 200 (45 tooth rear, I think).

This is the one I built...and have only ridden for a total of four motos since

CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3711th
3/3/2020 3:53am
I started with stock gearing from the 200. I can’t remember the exact gearing I used. I may have went up a tooth or 2 in the rear. You just have to play with it. Stock one won’t work on the 12-15 bike. Just make some from cardboard first. Then , you can order some thick canon five plate off eBay and trace it out.
3/3/2020 5:16pm
Those are some sweet bikes guys. I prefer black frame which is why I'm hoping to find a 2013. Black is my favorite color and as much as I like my KTM's I'm not the biggest orange fan.I was thinking about black or grey plastics and maybe some grey camo graphics possibly down the road. If I buy one that's already setup nice I'll leave it orange and if I get a good bike with somebody's crappy upgraded graphics I'll change them. I used to ride KX's back in the day and only switched to KTM because they offered the 200 cc motocross bike. I'm too big for a 125 at 210 pounds and 250 has a little too much power for my needs and don't like 250 handling traits.

Getting the bike first is the main concern. I've never really built a bike before I've always just bought a used bike and only upgraded what broke. This will probably be "the one" so I want to do it right. I've got plans for this bike. I've been researching alot and there are guys out there fitting Kayaba forks on this bike and I would love a set of them up front. Hopefully this will be a bike I keep for a long time and just keep making it better and better. Gotta spend a little bit of money but I mean it's a dirt bike not a boat so I can justify it.

Thanks for the tips and I'll keep you posted on what I end up with.

cmotodad
3/3/2020 9:12pm Edited Date/Time 3/3/2020 9:13pm
You can do a KYB conversion in the forks and have some really good front suspension. I did mine in the garage and it was a very easy swap. I think they end up as some of the best forks to be had.
3/6/2020 10:30am

So I bought this bike today. Not a bad looking bike to start my build with. Time to drop the 200 SX engine in. I appreciate whoever it was that passed my request along to Chris at Miller Cycle Shop. I have been looking for months and I found a bike within a week after I started this post. This forum rocks.
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3711th
3/6/2020 1:43pm
Pretty easy swap I think the top radiator hose has to be cut off about 2”. Also a little tip ktm 250 silencer is the same for the 200. Hgs and Doma still make actual 200sx pipes as well. Good luck on your build!
3/6/2020 5:45pm
Thanks CrGuy2T. I have the 200 SX so I can use as many parts off of that as l need. I'm sure I'm going to ride it as is when l first get it. I have to do a top end at least on the 200 SX engine and clean up the power valve. I have to replace counter shaft seal, it's leaking.

I'm wondering if l should have the bottom end done too. It has low hours but how many I don't know. No hour meter. There's no telling what was done to it. I believe I'm the 3rd owner.

What do you think? Bottom end or just top end? It is an 04.
HL944
8/8/2023 8:03am

Bringing this up from the dead.  Can this same swap be done with a 2015 Husky TC 125?

T-Fish
Fantasy
173rd
8/8/2023 8:13am
HL944 wrote:

Bringing this up from the dead.  Can this same swap be done with a 2015 Husky TC 125?

I believe so, as 2016 (I think) was the first year for the newer engine. 

HL944
8/8/2023 8:28am

What year 200 should I be searching for?  TY

HL944
8/8/2023 8:44am

and will a 250 work??   I blew up my transmission and just thinking of alternatives 

werner822
8/10/2023 5:05am
Hello members. I am looking to buy a KTM 150 SX between the years 2012-2015. The reason that I am looking for those specific years is...
Hello members. I am looking to buy a KTM 150 SX between the years 2012-2015. The reason that I am looking for those specific years is that I have a 2004 KTM 200 SX and I want to put my 200 SX engine in the 150 SX frame. Those years will work and my engine will fit right in. I am not interested in anything older than 2012 because I want the updated linkage suspension. I've been looking for months and have not been able to locate one within a thousand miles of where I live in NJ. I even considered going to Canada where I found a couple but importing a bike from Canada is next to impossible without paying an importer $400, and that's without shipping it. bikes are more expensive in Canada due to the weal US dollar.

Any one with a bike those years looking to sell please drop me a line as my search continues. I found one 40 miles from my house but the guy sold it before I could get there. If I can find shipping cheap enough I would consider farther than 1000 miles away but I want to avoid this because I don't like buying a bike without inspecting it first in person.

Have a rmz200sx that has full ohlins front rear , talon carbon wheels , rg3 linkage , vortex igntion , motor was completely overhauled and modded new bearings , new rod, piston, cylinder and head were ported/milled  cases were stuffed 12degree piston mod bike hauls the mail if you would be interested we live in southeast Indiana 

8/10/2023 7:19am
Hello members. I am looking to buy a KTM 150 SX between the years 2012-2015. The reason that I am looking for those specific years is...

werner822 wrote:
Have a rmz200sx that has full ohlins front rear , talon carbon wheels , rg3 linkage , vortex igntion , motor was completely overhauled and modded...

Have a rmz200sx that has full ohlins front rear , talon carbon wheels , rg3 linkage , vortex igntion , motor was completely overhauled and modded new bearings , new rod, piston, cylinder and head were ported/milled  cases were stuffed 12degree piston mod bike hauls the mail if you would be interested we live in southeast Indiana 

Sounds like an awesome bike. How much are you trying to get for it. I had a 2004 KXF 250 and was thinking about putting my 200 SX engine in that but I lack the welding skills to do it myself. That bike was a great handling bike. I have seen a couple RMZ 200 SX conversion projects over the years on the web. Yours sounds like a sweet build.

8/10/2023 7:22am
HL944 wrote:

and will a 250 work??   I blew up my transmission and just thinking of alternatives 

I don't think it's 250 engine will fit in that frame. The 200SX was only made in 2003 and 2004 but you can get a 200 exc engine. But the 2015 is the last year that will fit in your frame. The 2016 as another member said it's a completely different engine. It's more powerful it just won't easily fit into your frame and I'm not even 100% sure of that. Ask around and see if the 150sx and husky have the same frame dimensions. I would imagine they do. 

werner822
8/13/2023 9:15pm

werner822 wrote:
Have a rmz200sx that has full ohlins front rear , talon carbon wheels , rg3 linkage , vortex igntion , motor was completely overhauled and modded...

Sounds like an awesome bike. How much are you trying to get for it. I had a 2004 KXF 250 and was thinking about putting my...

Sounds like an awesome bike. How much are you trying to get for it. I had a 2004 KXF 250 and was thinking about putting my 200 SX engine in that but I lack the welding skills to do it myself. That bike was a great handling bike. I have seen a couple RMZ 200 SX conversion projects over the years on the web. Yours sounds like a sweet build.

E33ED621-F704-4728-8319-7CEF883E116B I think my dad will take $8k for everything including all parts that come with it 

Post a reply to: Looking for 2012-2015 KTM 150 SX

The Latest