KTM/Husky large or small axle

tireguy111
Could someone please tell me what is meant by the term small or large axle. What models are they for. We have a 2017 FC 350 Husky. Thnx I am sorry if this sound stupid or is in the wrong spot on the web page.
|
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
5/19/2018 10:46pm Edited Date/Time 5/19/2018 10:47pm
The 2015.5 Factory addition to the current KTM and Huskys 4 stroke bikes have a “small axle” compared to the previous years were, “larger”. The older larger lugs on the fork and axle are +2mm forward than the new small fork lugs and axle.

So your bike and all the new ones run the small axle. I believe all the KTM and Husky race team guys use the larger axle. Could be for more stability with the +2mm or maybe the stiffness of the larger size?
Byron909
5/22/2018 8:48pm
Small axle, 22mm diameter
Big axle, 26mm
5/23/2018 6:48pm
The 2015.5 Factory addition to the current KTM and Huskys 4 stroke bikes have a “small axle” compared to the previous years were, “larger”. The older...
The 2015.5 Factory addition to the current KTM and Huskys 4 stroke bikes have a “small axle” compared to the previous years were, “larger”. The older larger lugs on the fork and axle are +2mm forward than the new small fork lugs and axle.

So your bike and all the new ones run the small axle. I believe all the KTM and Husky race team guys use the larger axle. Could be for more stability with the +2mm or maybe the stiffness of the larger size?
Please help... I purchased a 2014 450 xcf used. I need to replace the front axle nut. The front axle nut I purchased won't fit into the axle. I'm guessing someone did an axle swap? I also have the Warp 9 Wheels and collars. Do I have the good setup? Is there such a thing as good or bad? I'm a 50 year old vet desert Rider with decent skills. What should I do and what do I need? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

The Shop

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
5/23/2018 10:53pm
The 2015.5 Factory addition to the current KTM and Huskys 4 stroke bikes have a “small axle” compared to the previous years were, “larger”. The older...

Safford191 wrote:
Please help... I purchased a 2014 450 xcf used. I need to replace the front axle nut. The front axle nut I purchased won't fit into...
Please help... I purchased a 2014 450 xcf used. I need to replace the front axle nut. The front axle nut I purchased won't fit into the axle. I'm guessing someone did an axle swap? I also have the Warp 9 Wheels and collars. Do I have the good setup? Is there such a thing as good or bad? I'm a 50 year old vet desert Rider with decent skills. What should I do and what do I need? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Can you take photos? The 2014 is large axle, you can’t just swap them, depends on what forks/lugs are on the bike.
Byron909
5/24/2018 5:44am
Safford191 wrote:
Please help... I purchased a 2014 450 xcf used. I need to replace the front axle nut. The front axle nut I purchased won't fit into...

Like carlino said, the fork lugs decide what size axle you have. But an easy way to know, the older larger axle takes a 27mm socket on axle bolt. Newer smaller axle takes a 17mm socket.

What is better? Its really just preference. I prefer the larger axle, but at same time i like the 2mm offset difference on the small axle lugs. On your bike the 2mm difference is worth having. So in my case, running a large front axle on your frame, or the newer, i use 20mm offset triple clamps, instead of the stock 22. On your style chassis, seems to balance the front out great, no matter how you ride. On the new frame bike, since they come with the smaller fr axle, im just keeping the geometry the same.
If your bike does have the oem forks, they should be twin chamber forks, with larger axle. Great forks.

Post a reply to: KTM/Husky large or small axle

The Latest