ISO- Running Husq/ktm 250 2-stroke engine

Related:
Create New Tag

12/30/2018 4:54 PM

Posting for a friend, blew up her 2018 ktm 250sx pretty bad and is looking to see what's out there for a running motor. She is located in SoCal.

|

12/30/2018 6:56 PM

What year engines are a direct bolt-in?

|

12/30/2018 7:01 PM

Honestly I'm not sure. I'm a kawi guy, not super familiar with the ktm/husky's. Whatever year they changed to the 2018 styling I'd imagine will work

|

12/30/2018 7:04 PM

Has she talked to a dealer yet about the blow up? What does blow up mean anyway? What is the damage to the motor?

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

12/30/2018 7:08 PM

captmoto wrote:

Has she talked to a dealer yet about the blow up? What does blow up mean anyway? What is the damage to the motor?

it's got quite A few hours on it, a dealership isn't gonna do anything with it. Basically grenades the whole thing. The head is in 3 pieces and parts fell down into the crank and locked it up. Out a hole in the case so the trans/clutch oil isn't sealed out anymore.

|

12/30/2018 7:25 PM

17+ is a bolt in...

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

12/30/2018 10:25 PM

BR8ES wrote:

17+ is a bolt in...

Yes 17,18,19

|

12/31/2018 10:22 PM

How much is she looking to spend.... is it worth fixing compared to buying???

|

12/31/2018 10:35 PM

mwssquad827 wrote:

How much is she looking to spend.... is it worth fixing compared to buying???

No idea. I was just asked to help find one.

I may buy the blown up one to rebuild/part-out if it's got good parts still.

|

1/1/2019 8:47 AM

Be careful with
They have them recalls on the cases
That Breakapart

|

1/1/2019 9:31 AM

fitlesslife81 wrote:

Be careful with
That Breakapart

where is the recall on the cases?? I haven't heard anything yet. If you mean a handful or two of good will fixes for broken idler gear bosses due to shit design then there is that.... if you get a 17 engine, just check or do the long bolt mod and you will be fine. Haven't heard of any issues with a 17 after that has been done.

|

1/1/2019 10:51 AM

fitlesslife81 wrote:

Be careful with
That Breakapart

BR8ES wrote:

where is the recall on the cases?? I haven't heard anything yet. If you mean a handful or two of good will fixes for broken idler gear bosses due to shit design then there is that.... if you get a 17 engine, just check or do the long bolt mod and you will be fine. Haven't heard of any issues with a 17 after that has been done.

That is what I’m referring to it’s hardly a handful or two... and it’s not just some strange coincidence but they fixed that for 18

|

1/1/2019 11:22 AM

fitlesslife81 wrote:

Be careful with
That Breakapart

BR8ES wrote:

fitlesslife81 wrote:

That is what I’m referring to it’s hardly a handful or two... and it’s not just some strange coincidence but they fixed that for 18

it is not a world wide epidemic either... how many have you documented? Where are your numbers and from what sources? One is too many, but there are lots of bikes out there with no issues either. Clearly there was an issue or the cases wouldn't be a 1 year design, but they have made good on the cases that have broke from all accounts I have seen.

|