How to get a title

tuck
Hey I'm thinking about buying a 2012 wr450f and converting it to a supermoto, but the guy that I want to buy it from only has the bill of sell, and he lives out of state. How would o go about handling this ? Would I just have to get the guy to get it a title or could I do that ?
|
2/13/2017 9:32pm
He would be best to get the title. It is important to know the state as the rules very greatly. I purchased a vintage bike in Florida and the process was relatively easy, though I had to send the owner the regulations so that he could show the DMV people that it's was possible and the steps to complete process.
BML139
2/14/2017 7:27am Edited Date/Time 2/14/2017 9:59am
Just because he gets a title doesnt mean you can put it on the road. Ex ny does not allow that bike to be on the road from the factory. However you can get a off road title for it in ny. Other states my let it on the road. The work around is to know someone from one of those states like Vermont . Have him do the paperwork to get the title. Then have him sell it to you. Once it's an on road vehicle from another state ny will allow it in. Again as mention check your state laws
mjr119
2/14/2017 9:50am
You can put it on the road. Vermont will title anything. Even if you aren't a resident. Just get a notarized bill of sale from the seller and you can go thru the normal registration process in Vermont.

The Shop

SEE ARE125
2/14/2017 10:30am Edited Date/Time 2/14/2017 10:37am
Read page 2, it lists everything you need. The bill of sale will need to be notarized from the last REGISTERED owner. That means if the guy selling it never registered it, he's irrelevant. You need to keep going back until you find the last registered owner, which may be the original owner. Could be pretty time consuming depending on how many owners it's had. You'll also need the MSO, or a copy of it certified by the manufacturer. A lot of states don't issue titles for OHVs, but I'm pretty sure every state give the original owner a MSO.

https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/revenue/attachments/f1310401Fill-in…
mjr119
2/14/2017 10:41am
^ You do not need any of the above (except for the notarized BOS) if using Vermont.

You need;

-Notarized BOS, doesn't need to be last registered owner (how would Vermont know this?) what if It has never been registered?
-Proper VT DMV forms filled out.
-Check for taxes and registration fees
-Insurance

Things you do not need:
- State inspection (this could be different with a 450, but anything under 300cc's is exempt)
-Title
-MSO
-Lights and turn signals
SEE ARE125
2/14/2017 10:56am Edited Date/Time 2/14/2017 10:58am
mjr119 wrote:
^ You do not need any of the above (except for the notarized BOS) if using Vermont. You need; -Notarized BOS, doesn't need to be last...
^ You do not need any of the above (except for the notarized BOS) if using Vermont.

You need;

-Notarized BOS, doesn't need to be last registered owner (how would Vermont know this?) what if It has never been registered?
-Insurance

Things you do not need:
- State inspection (this could be different with a 450, but anything under 300cc's is exempt)
-Title
-MSO
-Lights and turn signals
The OP lives in TN, how is he going to register a vehicle in Vermont?
mjr119
2/14/2017 1:39pm Edited Date/Time 2/14/2017 1:43pm
mjr119 wrote:
^ You do not need any of the above (except for the notarized BOS) if using Vermont. You need; -Notarized BOS, doesn't need to be last...

You need;

-Insurance

Things you do not need:
-Title
-MSO
-Lights and turn signals
SEE ARE125 wrote:
You do not need to be a resident to register it in Vermont. I am an NC resident and I have personally registered a WR250 for street use. With Vermont plate and all. To use in NC.

You don't have to be present to register it, like I said, no state inspections. Just mail in your check and paperwork. Make sure you calculate you taxes properly. I am sure this is the only thing they are concerned about.
mjr119
2/14/2017 1:41pm Edited Date/Time 2/14/2017 1:41pm
mjr119 wrote:

You need;

-Insurance

Things you do not need:
-Title
-MSO
-Lights and turn signals
SEE ARE125 wrote:
mjr119 wrote:
You do not need to be a resident to register it in Vermont. I am an NC resident and I have personally registered a WR250 for...
You do not need to be a resident to register it in Vermont. I am an NC resident and I have personally registered a WR250 for street use. With Vermont plate and all. To use in NC.

You don't have to be present to register it, like I said, no state inspections. Just mail in your check and paperwork. Make sure you calculate you taxes properly. I am sure this is the only thing they are concerned about.
Also, I want to add: When I sold the bike, the buyer used my VT registration (fully transferable) to get a title and registration in SC.

Post a reply to: How to get a title

The Latest