How Can I Get A Title?

Wiztardo
So I purchased my bike the absolutely wrong way. In 2014 I purchased a 2013 RMZ 250 from a private seller that was still paying it off. No Notary at all, but I have a bill of sale (I know, means nothing with no notary) and he gave me all the dealer documentation- such as a title memorandum and all other documentation. For what it's worth, I believe the guy was very genuine, just don't think he had gone through the private sale process often or ever for that matter. Neither had I at the time.

Now, it is 2018, I still have the bike. I have had insurance on it for most of the time. I have attempted to contact the previous owner to see if he paid it off and we can transfer the title over to my name. I can't get a hold of him. What is my next step? I have no problem paying sales tax and anything else required to make the transfer legitimate.

Should I take pictures of the VIN and go to the Title Bureau?

Should I just leave it alone in fear that this guy turns and claims the bike is stolen?

Like I said, I have all the documentation I should have BUT NO NOTARY. I realize what this could turn in to, but I would really like to acquire a title for the bike I have owned for the last 4 years. Again, I have met with a lot of different craigslisters, and I truly believe this to be a good person with no ill intent. The bike is super clean and I am toying with selling- but I desperately don't want to sell it without a title.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
|
305coco
5/18/2018 6:56am
long story short, theres nothing you can do but chase down the previous owner. ive learned my lesson aswell and will never buy without a tittle. hell you can have the bike confiscated for taking it for a spin down your street and loose it as the inpound wont release it to anyone but original owner.
if you can find a buyer that will be ok with the bill of sale, id sell it..
TJ 755
5/18/2018 7:37am
I have been through this before many times with various methods and results..
Your first step is to take the VIN into the DMV and simply tell them you are looking at this bike from a private party and would like to check who the registered lien holder is. If its dude find him. If its financial institution(likely) contact them and ask what it would take for release of interest .
Last resort look into Vermont loop hole.
T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
5/18/2018 8:20am
305coco wrote:
long story short, theres nothing you can do but chase down the previous owner. ive learned my lesson aswell and will never buy without a tittle...
long story short, theres nothing you can do but chase down the previous owner. ive learned my lesson aswell and will never buy without a tittle. hell you can have the bike confiscated for taking it for a spin down your street and loose it as the inpound wont release it to anyone but original owner.
if you can find a buyer that will be ok with the bill of sale, id sell it..
Guess you’ll never buy a bike from Wisconsin. They don’t have a title here.
Jterry
5/18/2018 11:46am
Alabama and Mississippi don't title dirtbikes either. When new the only come with a manufactures certificate of origin.
And most people lose them as soon as they get home.

I buy tons of bikes to part out with no title.

But I do know guys that convert a lot of dirtbikes around me to dual sports. They go through South Dakota and use the bill of sale to get a title and tag through the DMV in SD.

Post a reply to: How Can I Get A Title?

The Latest