For Sale - KYB Factory 2 piece shock Kawasaki

MXBen711
Edited Date/Time 2/20/2021 2:19pm
Hi,

I have a factory 2 piece shock here from a 2016 KX250F. This will fit other years, 250 up to 2020 and 450 up to 2018 and some say it fits as far back as 2004 although I cannot say for certain.

Valved and sprung for 196 pounds

I can post internationally at buyers cost, cannot ship until after the 4th of January.

Looking for around $750 plus shipping

|
Yeti831
12/31/2020 1:04pm
I have one with the ribbed reservoir, will fit for sure 250f/450f 2009-2018 👍

Glws, wish I had the smooth res on mine.
MXBen711
12/31/2020 1:20pm
Yeti831 wrote:
I have one with the ribbed reservoir, will fit for sure 250f/450f 2009-2018 👍

Glws, wish I had the smooth res on mine.
Thanks for the advice man, Happy New Year
Rider 5280
12/31/2020 2:56pm
So where do these shocks come from anyway?
MXBen711
12/31/2020 4:24pm
Rider 5280 wrote:
So where do these shocks come from anyway?
This one came directly from a European Kawasaki Team, was used for a season and then has sat for a while until a garage clear out earlier this year. I had the forks too but they have been used for something else

The Shop

12/31/2020 7:03pm
What year range are these shocks? Do they have 18mm shaft? I’m not familiar with the kyb kit shocks
Thanks
Yeti831
1/1/2021 10:45am
What year range are these shocks? Do they have 18mm shaft? I’m not familiar with the kyb kit shocks
Thanks
50mm piston, 18mm shaft. Same as the current stuff, just in a 2 piece configuration.

I can’t speak directly for his internals, but except for the main body (cast res and machined mid section) these are very easy to rebuild and find parts for.

This was just the kit stuff before oem configuration.
1/1/2021 12:55pm
Thanks
Yeti831 wrote:
50mm piston, 18mm shaft. Same as the current stuff, just in a 2 piece configuration. I can’t speak directly for his internals, but except for the...
50mm piston, 18mm shaft. Same as the current stuff, just in a 2 piece configuration.

I can’t speak directly for his internals, but except for the main body (cast res and machined mid section) these are very easy to rebuild and find parts for.

I had the same shock but for a Honda (came from a vital member), same style spring seats etc...

Mine was a 46mm body/18mm shaft. Were they offered in both 46/50 or is it a generational thing? Mine was from a 09 crf250. In comparison with my Showa A kit shocks the kyb was actually a little longer. I actually really enjoyed the feel of it... it does the same as Showa A kit shocks but had a more plush “bouncy” feeling (bouncy in a good way if that makes sense). It’s another one of those things that I wish I kept. Anyway... I’m just curious about the 46mm 50mm part of it.

I had 2 factory kyb shocks from the 05-08 era that were solid body/18mm shaft/50mm body with the ribbed bladder. They were definitely 50mm compared to the 2 piece which is why I’m curious as to how they were offered.

Yeti831
1/1/2021 1:26pm Edited Date/Time 1/1/2021 1:33pm
Thanks
Yeti831 wrote:
50mm piston, 18mm shaft. Same as the current stuff, just in a 2 piece configuration. I can’t speak directly for his internals, but except for the...

I had the same shock but for a Honda (came from a vital member), same style spring seats etc... Mine was a 46mm body/18mm shaft. Were...
I had the same shock but for a Honda (came from a vital member), same style spring seats etc...

Mine was a 46mm body/18mm shaft. Were they offered in both 46/50 or is it a generational thing? Mine was from a 09 crf250. In comparison with my Showa A kit shocks the kyb was actually a little longer. I actually really enjoyed the feel of it... it does the same as Showa A kit shocks but had a more plush “bouncy” feeling (bouncy in a good way if that makes sense). It’s another one of those things that I wish I kept. Anyway... I’m just curious about the 46mm 50mm part of it.

I had 2 factory kyb shocks from the 05-08 era that were solid body/18mm shaft/50mm body with the ribbed bladder. They were definitely 50mm compared to the 2 piece which is why I’m curious as to how they were offered.

I want to say it’s a generational thing.

The earlier versions, like you said, were 46/18.

I do agree. I don’t who, how, what or why but for whatever reason I’ve always found kyb stuff to be way more comfortable and work over a wider range of track conditions. Every Showa stuff I’ve ran from the early 47mm twin chamber to 49mm A kit can work great, but just seems (at least with me) to require more finess as conditions change throughout the day.

I’ll let the seller chime on this, but compared to the spacing of the body and the spring between the two pics, his looked to be 50mm.

Wish OP had a spare smooth resi half to sell, I think it looks way cleaner than the ribbed.

For the price, I’m surprised nobody has snagged this yet.

Mine for comparison.
MXBen711
1/1/2021 1:32pm
Yeti831 wrote:

I had the same shock but for a Honda (came from a vital member), same style spring seats etc... Mine was a 46mm body/18mm shaft. Were...

Yeti831 wrote:
I want to say it’s a generational thing. The earlier versions, like you said, were 46/18. I do agree. I don’t who, how, what or why...

I do agree. I don’t who, how, what or why but for whatever reason I’ve always found kyb stuff to be way more comfortable and work over a wider range of track conditions. Every Showa stuff I’ve ran from the early 47mm twin chamber to 49mm A kit can work great, but just seems (at least with me) to require more finess as conditions change throughout the day.

I’ll let the seller chime on this, but compared to the spacing of the body and the spring between the two pics, his looked to be 50mm.

Wish OP had a spare smooth resi half to sell, I think it looks way cleaner than the ribbed.

Mine for comparison.
Yes I believe it is a 50/18

I’ve never actually used this shock as I never had a bike I could put it on. Is it true these can also work on early Hondas?

1/1/2021 1:34pm
Yeti831 wrote:

Yeti831 wrote:
I want to say it’s a generational thing. The earlier versions, like you said, were 46/18. I do agree. I don’t who, how, what or why...

Mine for comparison.
That’s a nice one! I had a shot at one like yours and I didn’t take it... wish I would have. They are one of the coolest shocks IMO. They are all very cool and do their job well.

I think what the OP is offering is a good deal for someone here.
1/1/2021 1:38pm

Yeti831 wrote:

Mine for comparison.
MXBen711 wrote:
Yes I believe it is a 50/18 I’ve never actually used this shock as I never had a bike I could put it on. Is it...

I’ve never actually used this shock as I never had a bike I could put it on. Is it true these can also work on early Hondas?

Yes. The Honda and Kawi body is very similar. The kyb body is a closer match than the Showa if I’m correct.

The only problem would be the length depending what Honda you want to use it on. I’m referring to the CR of course and the 05-07 even more so. Still a easy fix depending on how hard it is to locate the right parts.

OP What is the eye to eye length if you don’t mind me asking?
Thanks.
Yeti831
1/1/2021 1:39pm

Yeti831 wrote:

Mine for comparison.
MXBen711 wrote:
Yes I believe it is a 50/18 I’ve never actually used this shock as I never had a bike I could put it on. Is it...

I’d call/email someone like Enzo or any solid KYB shop to confirm, but I want to say the top shock eyelit is different dimensions between Honda and Kawi. At least that’s what I was told when I was looking at getting a Honda unit but I found a good price on a kxf unit so I honestly stopped digging.
1/1/2021 2:08pm
Yeti831 wrote:

Mine for comparison.
MXBen711 wrote:

Yeti831 wrote:
I’d call/email someone like Enzo or any solid KYB shop to confirm, but I want to say the top shock eyelit is different dimensions between Honda...
I’d call/email someone like Enzo or any solid KYB shop to confirm, but I want to say the top shock eyelit is different dimensions between Honda and Kawi. At least that’s what I was told when I was looking at getting a Honda unit but I found a good price on a kxf unit so I honestly stopped digging.
There is a very slight difference in the top eye as far, different style bearing.
My in person experience is more with Showa. I used kxf Showa A kit bodies in the past. The older version kxf A kit shock had a long bladder just like the Cr/crf A kit. The body measured The same as the Honda body the difference was in the placement of the bladder. The kxf bladder was lower on the body so the bottom of the bladder was almost right against the Cr frame. Ill look to see if I still have the side by side pics.

The kxf top bearing was slightly thicker (maybe 1mm I can’t remember exactly). I do know that I was able to mount and use it using the Honda upper shock bolt. Again this is all based on my CR, I can’t say how or if the crf frames changed so I don’t know if the clearance is different. Again I believe the kyb body was a closer match as far as the 2 piece. The bearing will be the difference. For me it was very minimal work to get the Kawi body going.

Pics showa Honda/Kawasaki long body shocks. Red adjuster is Honda.. black is Kawi.
Hope this helps someone... sorry to blow up the post.

1/1/2021 2:10pm
MXBen711 wrote:

Yeti831 wrote:
I’d call/email someone like Enzo or any solid KYB shop to confirm, but I want to say the top shock eyelit is different dimensions between Honda...
There is a very slight difference in the top eye as far, different style bearing. My in person experience is more with Showa. I used kxf...
There is a very slight difference in the top eye as far, different style bearing.
My in person experience is more with Showa. I used kxf Showa A kit bodies in the past. The older version kxf A kit shock had a long bladder just like the Cr/crf A kit. The body measured The same as the Honda body the difference was in the placement of the bladder. The kxf bladder was lower on the body so the bottom of the bladder was almost right against the Cr frame. Ill look to see if I still have the side by side pics.

The kxf top bearing was slightly thicker (maybe 1mm I can’t remember exactly). I do know that I was able to mount and use it using the Honda upper shock bolt. Again this is all based on my CR, I can’t say how or if the crf frames changed so I don’t know if the clearance is different. Again I believe the kyb body was a closer match as far as the 2 piece. The bearing will be the difference. For me it was very minimal work to get the Kawi body going.

Pics showa Honda/Kawasaki long body shocks. Red adjuster is Honda.. black is Kawi.

That first pic wasn’t supposed to be there. I’m having some issues... had to type and retype so I apologize for any mistakes. (I don’t have patience for phone/computer etc stuff)
Yeti831
1/1/2021 2:33pm
MXBen711 wrote:

Yeti831 wrote:
There is a very slight difference in the top eye as far, different style bearing. My in person experience is more with Showa. I used kxf...

I don’t think OP is complaining, you’re throwing out some great info on these. And he’s selling it at a damn solid and more than fair price. If I didn’t already have one, I’d snag it without a second thought.
1/1/2021 2:39pm
Yeti831 wrote:

Yeti831 wrote:
I don’t think OP is complaining, you’re throwing out some great info on these. And he’s selling it at a damn solid and more than fair...
I don’t think OP is complaining, you’re throwing out some great info on these. And he’s selling it at a damn solid and more than fair price. If I didn’t already have one, I’d snag it without a second thought.
Thanks, I’m always after info so I don’t mind sharing mine.

I agree, this is good deal. I think I need to stop looking at it lol.
MXBen711
1/1/2021 11:36pm
Absolutely no problem with anyone commenting here, it’s all good info and I appreciate you guys taking the time to share.

I can get the eye to eye length later if people are interested? Out riding today but should be back later
1/2/2021 3:31pm
The length will be the only issue for retro fitting this to a Honda. Only the 13-16 crf shocks are that short.

If a buyer is interested for a Honda I’d find a 09-12 crf450 kyb shock and use the shaft/Clevis from it. The 09-12 Clevis doesn’t perfectly match any CR but it would get you very close to the 05-07 CR and should be more than good for the 02-04 Cr... same story for 02-08 450 and 02-09 250f.
Yeti831
1/2/2021 5:31pm
The length will be the only issue for retro fitting this to a Honda. Only the 13-16 crf shocks are that short. If a buyer is...
The length will be the only issue for retro fitting this to a Honda. Only the 13-16 crf shocks are that short.

If a buyer is interested for a Honda I’d find a 09-12 crf450 kyb shock and use the shaft/Clevis from it. The 09-12 Clevis doesn’t perfectly match any CR but it would get you very close to the 05-07 CR and should be more than good for the 02-04 Cr... same story for 02-08 450 and 02-09 250f.
Would his shock work on a 2004+ kx125?

Because if it’s still for sale this time next month, I may have to snag this for project #2 before I finish project #1.
MXBen711
1/3/2021 8:35am
The length will be the only issue for retro fitting this to a Honda. Only the 13-16 crf shocks are that short. If a buyer is...

Yeti831 wrote:
Would his shock work on a 2004+ kx125? Because if it’s still for sale this time next month, I may have to snag this for project...

Because if it’s still for sale this time next month, I may have to snag this for project #2 before I finish project #1.
I just found this with reference to lengths

https://www.cyclecycle.info/bicycle-compatibility-charts/motorcycle-rea…

In my experience it will fit 2 stroke Kawis but needs either the shortening of the shock via an internal spacer, or I have seen people use a slightly longer linkage. It haven’t tried either personally but I know these methods have been used
Yeti831
1/3/2021 10:31am

Yeti831 wrote:
Would his shock work on a 2004+ kx125? Because if it’s still for sale this time next month, I may have to snag this for project...

MXBen711 wrote:
I just found this with reference to lengths https://www.cyclecycle.info/bicycle-compatibility-charts/motorcycle-rear-shock-lengths?sort=desc&order=Brand In my experience it will fit 2 stroke Kawis but needs either the shortening of the shock...
I just found this with reference to lengths

https://www.cyclecycle.info/bicycle-compatibility-charts/motorcycle-rea…

In my experience it will fit 2 stroke Kawis but needs either the shortening of the shock via an internal spacer, or I have seen people use a slightly longer linkage. It haven’t tried either personally but I know these methods have been used
I just wasn’t sure if the top eyelit would be an issue. I can solve the length with a new clevis or like you said a spacer.
Yeti831
1/4/2021 5:24pm
MXBen711 wrote:
Hi, I have a factory 2 piece shock here from a 2016 KX250F. This will fit other years, 250 up to 2020 and 450 up to...
Hi,

I have a factory 2 piece shock here from a 2016 KX250F. This will fit other years, 250 up to 2020 and 450 up to 2018 and some say it fits as far back as 2004 although I cannot say for certain.

I can post internationally at buyers cost, cannot ship until after the 4th of January.

If it’s still available come February, shoot me an email trevmorris85@gmail.com

I’ll post payment through PayPal 👍
MXBen711
1/5/2021 5:04am
MXBen711 wrote:
Hi, I have a factory 2 piece shock here from a 2016 KX250F. This will fit other years, 250 up to 2020 and 450 up to...
Hi,

Yeti831 wrote:

No problem, I’m happy to keep it for you if you definitely want it? I’m in no rush for the money
Yeti831
1/7/2021 10:55am
MXBen711 wrote:
Hi,

Yeti831 wrote:

MXBen711 wrote:
No problem, I’m happy to keep it for you if you definitely want it? I’m in no rush for the money
Can you confirm it’s for sure a 50/18 setup?

If so, I’ll snag this and sell mine with the ribbed resi.

When you can, lmk what shipping to US in Utah would run before you hold it for me.

Any damage I should know of externally or on the shaft?
MXBen711
1/9/2021 3:48pm
Yeti831 wrote:

MXBen711 wrote:
Yeti831 wrote:
Can you confirm it’s for sure a 50/18 setup? If so, I’ll snag this and sell mine with the ribbed resi. When you can, lmk what...

When you can, lmk what shipping to US in Utah would run before you hold it for me.

Sorry I missed this, I’ll get some photos and the details you need for you tomorrow if that’s ok?
Yeti831
1/9/2021 5:35pm
MXBen711 wrote:
Yeti831 wrote:
Can you confirm it’s for sure a 50/18 setup? If so, I’ll snag this and sell mine with the ribbed resi. When you can, lmk what...

MXBen711 wrote:
Sorry I missed this, I’ll get some photos and the details you need for you tomorrow if that’s ok?
👍
MXBen711
1/11/2021 2:16pm
Yeti831 wrote:

MXBen711 wrote:
Yeti831 wrote:
👍
I sent some pictures via email for you 👍
MXBen711
2/20/2021 2:19pm
Does anyone want this? Happy to take an offer on it. I’m not desperate to sell but it’s better on someone’s bike than it is in my workshop

Post a reply to: For Sale - KYB Factory 2 piece shock Kawasaki

The Latest