Rode an Alta today

seth505
Fantasy
1048th
12/20/2016 7:46am
mikec265 wrote:
What brand of bike does it feel like in the turns?
Is it comparable or close to anything?
seth505 wrote:
That's a tough one as I ride 125 and 250 2-strokes, 250f once in a while and never 450s on dirt. It felt a little KTM-ish...
That's a tough one as I ride 125 and 250 2-strokes, 250f once in a while and never 450s on dirt. It felt a little KTM-ish in the front since it has the same brakes and suspension and same/similar clamps. That said, it is different still. It's hard to explain without more seat time, but I can stand up through more corners (especially slow) on the electric bike. You aren't worrying about gear selection and RPM management, especially in tights stuff. As a result, you're just using it's torque (via throttle control) to yank you out of trouble and settle the bike through terrain.
On straights where you want to wheelie through chop, it feels like a regular mx bike with being able to lighten the front over whatever is coming at you. Again, with no need for RPM management through, just wick the throttle as needed and slightly change position on the bike.
JWACK wrote:
As long as it doesn't have a pushy front end I can Live with it. I'm leaning twards an electric because I just got a small...
As long as it doesn't have a pushy front end I can Live with it. I'm leaning twards an electric because I just got a small bit of land that I can ride out of my garage and over to. BUT it is surrounded by houses nearby. I haven't ridden on it quite yet but I'm thinking an electric would keep the neighbors on my good side.
Nice, that would be sweet. I didn't think it pushed the front end but it is so torquey that it would slide my butt back on the seat sometimes if I was being lazy. The one thing you may notice on the first ride is if you go wide open toward a turn similar to a traditional bike, you might overshoot as once you let off it keeps going rather freely. Remember, no engine braking relative to RPM and also no shifting down for a corner to manage the rear wheel either.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1084th
12/20/2016 3:20pm
seth505 wrote:
Nice, that would be sweet. I didn't think it pushed the front end but it is so torquey that it would slide my butt back on...
Nice, that would be sweet. I didn't think it pushed the front end but it is so torquey that it would slide my butt back on the seat sometimes if I was being lazy. The one thing you may notice on the first ride is if you go wide open toward a turn similar to a traditional bike, you might overshoot as once you let off it keeps going rather freely. Remember, no engine braking relative to RPM and also no shifting down for a corner to manage the rear wheel either.
Off-throttle regenerative action can be programmed at pretty much any level from "no engine (okay, motor) braking" to "lock up the rear wheel". Don't know if it's end user adjustable on the Alta, but that would be a very cool addition.
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
12/21/2016 7:58am
Off-throttle regenerative action can be programmed at pretty much any level from "no engine (okay, motor) braking" to "lock up the rear wheel". Don't know if...
Off-throttle regenerative action can be programmed at pretty much any level from "no engine (okay, motor) braking" to "lock up the rear wheel". Don't know if it's end user adjustable on the Alta, but that would be a very cool addition.
Agreed, that would be fun to play with.
Markbenq
12/21/2016 12:28pm
Thanks for letting us know about your ride! I am really excited about this bike, looks like a real alternative for a 250.

Can not wait until they have a “450” version, and hopefully the prices will go down within a few years!

The Shop

byke
1/11/2017 6:29pm
A few weeks late to the party, but I'm curious if you missed being able to spin the motor and dump the clutch for those times you want to get going immediately, or when you want that 'pop' to break the back end loose to get the bike to turn?
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
1/12/2017 7:15am
byke wrote:
A few weeks late to the party, but I'm curious if you missed being able to spin the motor and dump the clutch for those times...
A few weeks late to the party, but I'm curious if you missed being able to spin the motor and dump the clutch for those times you want to get going immediately, or when you want that 'pop' to break the back end loose to get the bike to turn?
My answer to this is probably a bit weird but... personally I like the complexity of having to manage shifts and RPMs so it almost simplifies it too much for me.

With that said, as far as getting going immediately, you really aren't lacking any ability to get going quick with this bike. The electric motor has such good torque that it will get going as good as you can get ready and twist the throttle. In that respect it's really awesome.

I did an offroad loop on my 125 and then this bike and I could go night and day faster on the Alta, easier. There were so many spots it was annoying on my 125 to get the correct gear and not bog in a really tight/rutted turn. I never got that with the Alta, you're just managing your brakes and throttle and you can easily power out of every type of turn slow or fast while never worrying about bogging or missing a shift.
Micahdogg
1/12/2017 7:43am
There are two distinct facets to riding a dirtbike that appeal to me (1) the art of it and (2) the fun factor. The big reason I choose to ride two strokes still is because it takes a little more technique and skill. The 125 undoubtedly requires a lot of technique and nothing can really prepare a new rider for the explosive power of a well running 250. In that regard, I really enjoy trying to "ride the wild bull" and make it looks as easy as possible.

But the second aspect is just the pure fun of it. The joy of conquering terrain, enjoying the outdoors and the thrill of riding a motorcycle. I think the ALTA would allow you to really dwell on this aspect as your primary focus. If you are looking to challenge yourself and refine your skill set, this bike probably won't provide you much opportunity for that. But if you love riding, I think the ALTA would super-magnify this aspect.

At least that's my perception. A friend of mine has a Tesla that runs 11 second quarter miles. But there is just something about building a fox body mustang and shifting your way through an 11 second pass.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
1/16/2017 2:56pm
Ted722 wrote:
How about engine braking...more like a 2-stroke or 4?
seth505 wrote:
More 2-stroke, like no engine braking.
Suddenly, I'm much more interested.
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
1/16/2017 6:20pm Edited Date/Time 1/16/2017 6:22pm
Micahdogg wrote:
There are two distinct facets to riding a dirtbike that appeal to me (1) the art of it and (2) the fun factor. The big reason...
There are two distinct facets to riding a dirtbike that appeal to me (1) the art of it and (2) the fun factor. The big reason I choose to ride two strokes still is because it takes a little more technique and skill. The 125 undoubtedly requires a lot of technique and nothing can really prepare a new rider for the explosive power of a well running 250. In that regard, I really enjoy trying to "ride the wild bull" and make it looks as easy as possible.

But the second aspect is just the pure fun of it. The joy of conquering terrain, enjoying the outdoors and the thrill of riding a motorcycle. I think the ALTA would allow you to really dwell on this aspect as your primary focus. If you are looking to challenge yourself and refine your skill set, this bike probably won't provide you much opportunity for that. But if you love riding, I think the ALTA would super-magnify this aspect.

At least that's my perception. A friend of mine has a Tesla that runs 11 second quarter miles. But there is just something about building a fox body mustang and shifting your way through an 11 second pass.
We are in the same boat I think.

All I would tell people that are 100% on the "I love the work of clutch/shifting/etc" is still give this thing a chance, it's fun as hell in a different way. Especially on a trail ride, imagine teaching someone new to riding and all they have to deal with is falling over and picking the bike up and trying again. No shifting, clutch, starting...

Agreed on the Tesla. Thing is the fastest automobile I've ever seen take off next to me at a light and also grip, respect to that. That said, seeing guy on youtube showing up and beating Hellcat and other cool/fast cars in a Model S just did nothing for me.
5/13/2017 6:14am
seth505 wrote:
I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread from the other E bike thread. I had the chance to ride a Zero MX a while back and it was not a good motorcycle. (That's probably why they don't make that model anymore.) Just by the look of it you can tell it's not as serious of a motocross bike as the Alta. Anyway, the worst part of the bike was the lag between turning the throttle and power going to the back wheel, it felt like a full second. Did the Alta have any of this lag?

seth505
Fantasy
1048th
5/13/2017 1:41pm
seth505 wrote:
I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread from the other E bike thread. I had the chance to ride a Zero MX a while back and...
I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread from the other E bike thread. I had the chance to ride a Zero MX a while back and it was not a good motorcycle. (That's probably why they don't make that model anymore.) Just by the look of it you can tell it's not as serious of a motocross bike as the Alta. Anyway, the worst part of the bike was the lag between turning the throttle and power going to the back wheel, it felt like a full second. Did the Alta have any of this lag?

No, it was pretty instant to be honest. That was one of the hardest things about adjusting to the bike. It's so easy to ride but if I gave it a lot of throttle on inside ruts it would shove me back on the seat because the torque was so quick/instant. If I owned an Alta, I'd find the most grippy seat cover possible that's for sure.
brocster
9/9/2017 9:38pm
Rode an alta today at Milestone and it was friggin awesome. Rode it three times on the demo track set up just for them. Rode the "2" setting once and the "3 " setting twice. Thing rips and has pleny of power. I am a vet intermediate and ride a 450 and wouldn't sweat having to ride this bike. Had a smile from ear to ear all day. All questions and curiousity was cured for me today. Awesome bike this thing is.
jbomx363
9/11/2017 9:45am
brocster wrote:
Rode an alta today at Milestone and it was friggin awesome. Rode it three times on the demo track set up just for them. Rode the...
Rode an alta today at Milestone and it was friggin awesome. Rode it three times on the demo track set up just for them. Rode the "2" setting once and the "3 " setting twice. Thing rips and has pleny of power. I am a vet intermediate and ride a 450 and wouldn't sweat having to ride this bike. Had a smile from ear to ear all day. All questions and curiousity was cured for me today. Awesome bike this thing is.
Liar.. You're a vet EXPERT. Tongue
Ted722
9/19/2017 8:57am
brocster wrote:
Rode an alta today at Milestone and it was friggin awesome. Rode it three times on the demo track set up just for them. Rode the...
Nice!
mxstate
11/16/2017 5:47pm Edited Date/Time 11/16/2017 5:54pm
I rode one yesterday.
I’d just say awesome.
Yes the baterry life and weight can be a show stopper for some, but as a slow vet C, 50 y/o rider who practice MX only , this is a very viable choice. The one I rode just had minor suspension work (stiffer) and I could not believe how fast and easy it was to ride. I never felt the weight (And I’m currently on a 17 HVA 250 TC)
The torque is amazing and the throttle is connected to the rear wheel even better than any EFI I rode before.
Handling is really mind blowing. Absolutely never had an issue in tight turns .
I did lay the bike on the side and picking it up is pretty much back to lifting a Honda 600XR but never had a heavy feel once in motion .
This is not a toy or e-mountain bike kind of thing. This is a real MX bike
Price is stroke inducing first but when I see what 450 are going OTD these days, the gap is not that huge .
I came back home and was still smiling and shaking my head .
I went into the garage and start staring at the TC and all the shelves full of all chemicals , the fuel etc and was trying to picture only a can of chain lub...
Plug and play !
The owner brought the bike 80-85% charged and we took turns until dark. 1-1/2 hours later , about maybe 15 mins left I would estimate.

seth505
Fantasy
1048th
11/20/2017 9:59am
Nice mxstate, I can't wait to try the 2018 with AER48 forks and such.
ruy
11/21/2017 7:59am
Riding without noise is something great, to make enduro every time the noise bothers me more, for MX not yet, but the one that does not make noise has the advantage of being able to ride near houses, I think that at the moment it needs a little more autonomy for enduro, but for MX I think it's great, the bad the high price to pay and that it is not yet marketed in Spain, but they say that by next year it will be here.Smile
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
11/22/2017 8:23am
ruy wrote:
Riding without noise is something great, to make enduro every time the noise bothers me more, for MX not yet, but the one that does not...
Riding without noise is something great, to make enduro every time the noise bothers me more, for MX not yet, but the one that does not make noise has the advantage of being able to ride near houses, I think that at the moment it needs a little more autonomy for enduro, but for MX I think it's great, the bad the high price to pay and that it is not yet marketed in Spain, but they say that by next year it will be here.Smile
Ya man, even as someone who is a big fan of "racey" motors, it is damn cool to get on the Alta and have it be so quiet. The first thing I noticed so much was hearing the tire grip, it adds to new perspective to why tires wear out so fast haha

Post a reply to: Rode an Alta today

The Latest