Enduro Racing the Alta Redshift MX! (video)

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to give everyone an update on how the Alta Redshift MX did at the RMEC Hard Rock Enduro in Colorado. Don was able to get a 2nd place finish (would have been first if not for a flat rear tire) in the A 50 + class and 17th overall. The bike was absolutely amazing on the technical rocky terrain.

Race Info:

6 laps that averaged 23 minutes per lap
a little over 2 hours of actual racing time
Don was able to sneak in about 35-40 minutes of charging total using a 220v generator.
Raced the entire race in Map 1 on the Alta
The Alta does require a little more strategy for Longer format Enduro racing, but it is very competitive against gas bikes!

Here is the link to the YouTube video of the race from Don's helmet cam.

|
Ted722
6/15/2017 10:24pm Edited Date/Time 6/16/2017 7:05am
Nice. Great video.

Edit: A little more on sneaking in a 35 minute charge? Before the race? Fixing the flat?
6/16/2017 10:13am
This particular race had about 15 ish minutes of downtime (depending on how fast you finished) between laps before Don's minute came back up. This was a good time to plug the bike in, swap the flat rear tire, and grab some water. The charging strategy is kind of fun for these races, it adds a whole new challenge and makes you think about your downtime a little more. It's not for everyone, but the benefits of the electric power make it worth it for those who are willing to put in a little extra effort.

We were using a Lifan generator with a 220v output during this race. From completely dead to fully charged takes around 2.5 hours on a 220v generator. The beauty of the Alta is that you can start and stop charging without any risk of damaging the battery. We have found that you can get roughly 1/8th of a charge in about 15minutes. At race pace on trails like these, we can get very close to 1.5-2 hours without needing to charge. This time increases as the terrain gets more consistently technical and decreases for more wide open courses. We have a few more races planned for the Alta later this season so we will have a bit more data at that point.
wfopete
6/28/2017 6:55am
Did you use a skid plate (I hope)?
6/28/2017 8:44am
Yes, we did use a skid plate. We worked with John Seehorn at SXS Slide Plates to develop an Alta specific full coverage skid plate with built-in linkage guard. We should have these available for sale ($169.99) very soon.

The Shop

Swann
7/20/2017 10:09pm Edited Date/Time 7/20/2017 10:11pm
Thanks for sharing! I've heard Alta is considering and/or working on a hot-swappable battery pack. 3-4 hours on a charge will be ideal and I bet they get there.

I love the idea of racing the Baja 1000 on an Alta but you would need at least 15 full charges to get through something like that. It's kinda fun to think about how one might go about putting together a pit strategy for something like that... leap-frogging battery packs and charging them along the way. How fun. What a world!
9/1/2017 8:22am
Do you guys demo those?
We do have a demo model that you are welcome to ride. Give me a call at the shop and I will setup a demo time for you.

Scott
Elite Motorsports
970-461-1022
10/20/2017 8:50pm
Hey Everyone, I just wanted to give everyone an update on how the Alta Redshift MX did at the RMEC Hard Rock Enduro in Colorado. Don...

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to give everyone an update on how the Alta Redshift MX did at the RMEC Hard Rock Enduro in Colorado. Don was able to get a 2nd place finish (would have been first if not for a flat rear tire) in the A 50 + class and 17th overall. The bike was absolutely amazing on the technical rocky terrain.

Race Info:

Don was able to sneak in about 35-40 minutes of charging total using a 220v generator.
The Alta does require a little more strategy for Longer format Enduro racing, but it is very competitive against gas bikes!

Can you ride it as shown above for an hour + without recharging? Really wanna try one out but not if the range isn’t there yet.

Thanks
10/22/2017 7:07am Edited Date/Time 10/22/2017 7:08am
Hey Everyone, I just wanted to give everyone an update on how the Alta Redshift MX did at the RMEC Hard Rock Enduro in Colorado. Don...

Hey Everyone,

Race Info:

Bigoldbeef wrote:
Can you ride it as shown above for an hour + without recharging? Really wanna try one out but not if the range isn’t there yet...
Can you ride it as shown above for an hour + without recharging? Really wanna try one out but not if the range isn’t there yet.

Thanks
I regularly ride it for a minimum of an hour. We ran some demos at the MX track the other day (4 riders and the bike never stopped moving) and went from 9:20 am to 11:30 am without stopping. For me (a B level enduro rider) three hours of tight single track is not out of the question.

Feel free to contact me for a private demo if you can get to Northern Colorado. You are welcome to ride it from full charge to empty to see how long it will go for you.

Scott
Elite Motorsports
970-461-1022
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
10/29/2017 7:14pm
So 35-40 minutes of gas generator polluting and using petro to run a electric motor cycle for 20-30 minutes? Why not just have use the gas from the generator in a gas motorcycle?
10/30/2017 6:33am
Moto_Geek wrote:
So 35-40 minutes of gas generator polluting and using petro to run a electric motor cycle for 20-30 minutes? Why not just have use the gas...
So 35-40 minutes of gas generator polluting and using petro to run a electric motor cycle for 20-30 minutes? Why not just have use the gas from the generator in a gas motorcycle?
High performance electric motorcycles, like the Alta Redshift, are not about saving gas or eliminating emissions. Going electric is about the power and performance that the platform offers. Infinitely adjustable power curves, smooth controllable torque, reduced maintenance requirements, and reduced rotating mass are some of the benefits. Reduced emissions can be a side benefit in some circumstances, but it is not the end goal.
R.EX
10/30/2017 7:45pm
Moto_Geek wrote:
So 35-40 minutes of gas generator polluting and using petro to run a electric motor cycle for 20-30 minutes? Why not just have use the gas...
If you are lucky like me, your local track will be open to putting in a 240v outlet you can use for a small fee. This would negate the need to run a generator.

Post a reply to: Enduro Racing the Alta Redshift MX! (video)

The Latest