2018 Alta MXR vs 2019 Crf 250R

KenBone
Fantasy
2208th
Just sold my 2017 Crf 450 and it's time for a new bike. I've narrowed it down to a MXR or a new Honda 250 but wanted to hear from some long term Alta owners to put by worries to rest. I'm in Arizona and ride 2 ish times a week ( typically one day at the track and one on a corner track in the dez ) I do like the freeride aspect of the Alta but not sure what kind of battery life I could expect playing around in map 2 or 3? Second question is on the battery, how much will the heat out here limit the battery performance? I know they have updated the MXR over the standard but I haven't heard much feedback on it. Last question is the rapid charger worth the money? I typically ride 4 ish 15-20 min motos during a track day and don't want to be limited on how much I can ride in maps 3/4. I don't mind bringing a generator with to the track (typically bring an EU2000 to run a fan and speaker anyways) but not sure if the rapid charger is worth the extra money plus a larger generator to run it.

Thank you!
|
snydes
8/3/2018 10:51am
Seems like the average range guys are getting off-road is 30-35 miles. So many variables come into play on range but I’d say figure low so you aren’t disappointed. There is a lot of confusion with the chargers... they both run on 120v or 240v. The “rapid” (3.3kw) charger was developed for the R bikes and is worth the extra $300, it won’t require any difference in generators.

I’ve had my MXR since April and have around 30 hours/500 miles on it and absolutely love it. If an Alta fits your riding habits they are SO good!

A lot good information on the Alta owner’s forum. I’d suggest you head over there as you will get more feedback.
8/15/2018 6:56pm Edited Date/Time 8/15/2018 6:59pm
KenBone wrote:
Just sold my 2017 Crf 450 and it's time for a new bike. I've narrowed it down to a MXR or a new Honda 250 but...
Just sold my 2017 Crf 450 and it's time for a new bike. I've narrowed it down to a MXR or a new Honda 250 but wanted to hear from some long term Alta owners to put by worries to rest. I'm in Arizona and ride 2 ish times a week ( typically one day at the track and one on a corner track in the dez ) I do like the freeride aspect of the Alta but not sure what kind of battery life I could expect playing around in map 2 or 3? Second question is on the battery, how much will the heat out here limit the battery performance? I know they have updated the MXR over the standard but I haven't heard much feedback on it. Last question is the rapid charger worth the money? I typically ride 4 ish 15-20 min motos during a track day and don't want to be limited on how much I can ride in maps 3/4. I don't mind bringing a generator with to the track (typically bring an EU2000 to run a fan and speaker anyways) but not sure if the rapid charger is worth the extra money plus a larger generator to run it.

Thank you!
I've got 35 hours and approx. 600 miles on my 18 MXR.

I doubt you'll use map 4 unless its a sand track. I've never touched it. Way too much power for most situations and i'm a local A rider.

I can get about 50 - 75 minutes of hard riding on Map 3 at a motocross track, depending on how deep it is, and how fast the track is.

If i go ride motocross on a 80-90 degree day and I ride (20 minute session) - charge - ride - charge - the battery will go into thermal limited mode. I called alta and they suggest getting this setup https://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Cove-MBF0181-Performance-Included/dp/B00LFUQ0MG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1534384442&sr=8-2&keywords=5+gallon+bucket+fan and using it on the battery while charging. One guy in Cali said it eliminated his problem.

I only have the rapid charger and a cheap $500 240V generator from harbor freight and it works great. Definitely worth it if you're trying to go somewhere and ride all day.

Also, I suggest re gearing the bike. I went up 2 teeth in the front, so much better than stock. Way less wheel spin.
10/16/2018 3:02pm
KenBone wrote:
Just sold my 2017 Crf 450 and it's time for a new bike. I've narrowed it down to a MXR or a new Honda 250 but...

Thank you!
I’m 33yo B rider. I’ve had 17 Ktm 350, ‘18 Crf250, and now ‘17 crf450. I’ve rode Bigoldbeef’s ‘18 MXR for a handful of laps on a really nice mx track as well. I can confidently tell you this, get the MXR over the crf250 hands down. Crf250 is fun in the sense that it rides like a 125 2T, but you’ll have WAY more fun with the Alta. I know you said you wanted to hear from experienced Alta owners, but thought this may help you tho.

Post a reply to: 2018 Alta MXR vs 2019 Crf 250R

The Latest