Yz Update

jordon372
Edited Date/Time 8/13/2018 11:05am
Got this 09 Yz used back in 2014 and rode the crap out of it. It looks clean but she's tired and due for a refresh. Also wanted to try the four stroke updates.

Parts List:

- 09 Yz250f swinger (perfect bolt on)
- 09 Yz450f linkage (perfect bolt on)
- 17 Yz450f rear axle
- 09 Yz250f rear brake setup
- Polisport restyle
- Yz technical touch dlc fork lowers (06 sss forks for sale or trade if anyone is interested)
- Neken triple clamps
- New bearings throughout
- 12 Crf250 Front brake setup (perfect bolt on)
- Galpher oversized rotor
- Faast rear brake spring delete

Parts I am looking for:

- 09+ YZ four stroke rear hub / wheel
- Clean radiators
- Radiator hoses
- Oversized bars
- WC clutch perch
- FMF silencer
- New chain guides / rollers
- Lowered foot pegs
- Tall seat

Gonna be a slow build so just trying to see the end / what color fork guards to run.

Bought the Neken clamps off here and the OP said the clamps were for Yz250f but fit the Yz two strokes due to upper clamp being bored out. The aftermarket stem is almost a quarter of an inch shorter than the OEM one but I didn't find that out until I already pressed on the bottom bearing. So the nut is on about half way threaded without a washer. Kind of sketched out about running it but I think it should be ok.

|
byronf29
8/3/2018 6:34pm
I did a restyle kit on my 03. I wish I would’ve used the old style rad shrouds, the big pointy top part of the new one looks off to me. Something to think about if you don’t have graphics yet.
mxracer666
8/3/2018 6:43pm
I would not be OK with that steering stem nut like that. Can you press out the steering stem from the stock clamp, or just measure it to see if it is longer?
jordon372
8/3/2018 6:49pm
mxracer666 wrote:
I would not be OK with that steering stem nut like that. Can you press out the steering stem from the stock clamp, or just measure...
I would not be OK with that steering stem nut like that. Can you press out the steering stem from the stock clamp, or just measure it to see if it is longer?
The stock one is almost a quarter inch longer (didn't find out till after I put the bearing on). I think the stock one can be pressed in just don't want to pay someone to do it haha plus I will have to order bearings again, unfortunately.
jordon372
8/3/2018 6:51pm
byronf29 wrote:
I did a restyle kit on my 03. I wish I would’ve used the old style rad shrouds, the big pointy top part of the new...
I did a restyle kit on my 03. I wish I would’ve used the old style rad shrouds, the big pointy top part of the new one looks off to me. Something to think about if you don’t have graphics yet.
Yeah I was thinking about that. I also want a black tank so I might just sack up and but the Race Tech kit.

Has anyone ever tried dying a tank??

The Shop

JM485
8/3/2018 7:57pm
The mods you chose are exactly what these bikes need, you will notice a huge improvement in front end traction with the new swing arm, and the front brake is not even comparable when it comes to feel. Just any FYI, you will need the four stroke hub at the least for the rear, I saw you mentioned a YZ one but just wanted to make sure you knew.

As far as the nut goes, I would be more worried about the clamp not being seated fully on the mating surface of the steering stem than the nut not being fully engaged. There's quite a bit of force going through that clamp being transferred to the steering stem, and if it isn't fully seated to the mating surface I think you could end up with an ovular clamp over time.

How much were you looking to get for the stock forks? I'm realizing I need to get a set of suspension I can throw on when I got to the track, and another set to set up for the trails.
8/4/2018 4:35pm
jordon372 wrote:
Got this 09 Yz used back in 2014 and rode the crap out of it. It looks clean but she's tired and due for a refresh...
Got this 09 Yz used back in 2014 and rode the crap out of it. It looks clean but she's tired and due for a refresh. Also wanted to try the four stroke updates.

Parts List:

- 17 Yz450f rear axle
- Polisport restyle
- Yz technical touch dlc fork lowers (06 sss forks for sale or trade if anyone is interested)
- Neken triple clamps

Parts I am looking for:

- Clean radiators
- Radiator hoses
- Oversized bars
- WC clutch perch
- FMF silencer
- Lowered foot pegs
- Tall seat

Gonna be a slow build so just trying to see the end / what color fork guards to run.

Bought the Neken clamps off here and the OP said the clamps were for Yz250f but fit the Yz two strokes due to upper clamp being bored out. The aftermarket stem is almost a quarter of an inch shorter than the OEM one but I didn't find that out until I already pressed on the bottom bearing. So the nut is on about half way threaded without a washer. Kind of sketched out about running it but I think it should be ok.

Then you did something wrong. It was flush to the top of the nut on my '15 frame.

Check this thread on page 6 where we talked about running these clamps. He was running the same set up.

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Race-Shop,42/2015-YZ250-Build,1302813?pa…
jordon372
8/4/2018 4:50pm
jordon372 wrote:
Got this 09 Yz used back in 2014 and rode the crap out of it. It looks clean but she's tired and due for a refresh...

Parts List:

- 17 Yz450f rear axle
- Polisport restyle
- Neken triple clamps

Parts I am looking for:

- Clean radiators
- Radiator hoses
- Oversized bars
- WC clutch perch
- FMF silencer
- Lowered foot pegs
- Tall seat

Then you did something wrong. It was flush to the top of the nut on my '15 frame. Check this thread on page 6 where we...
Then you did something wrong. It was flush to the top of the nut on my '15 frame.

Check this thread on page 6 where we talked about running these clamps. He was running the same set up.

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Race-Shop,42/2015-YZ250-Build,1302813?pa…
The whole time in the thread the OP is talking about pressing in his yz250 2t stem from what I am reading? I have measured both stems and the original yz250 2t stem is almost a quarter of an inch longer than the 250f one. Both bearing races are seating all the way in the frame and so is the bearing on the lower clamp so I would think that’s where the extra stem needs to come from. Don’t think there can me anything else.

Do you have any pics of your setup when you had it?
8/4/2018 5:10pm
No, I looked but I don't have any pictures of it on my bike. I wish I did. But, I swear on my fathers ashes that I had them on my 2015 as they were and flush with the nut I sent you.

I've put a couple of sets of 2015 "F" clamps that I bored on YZ125's for a friend of mine without issue either.

And since I've done several "F" swingarm conversion I can tell you that if you are using the '09 "F" pull arms and rocker that your rear end is setting about 12mm higher than the stock set up. You have to use a 143.5mm pull rod to get the rear end back to the stock height.

jordon372
8/4/2018 5:17pm
No, I looked but I don't have any pictures of it on my bike. I wish I did. But, I swear on my fathers ashes that...
No, I looked but I don't have any pictures of it on my bike. I wish I did. But, I swear on my fathers ashes that I had them on my 2015 as they were and flush with the nut I sent you.

I've put a couple of sets of 2015 "F" clamps that I bored on YZ125's for a friend of mine without issue either.

And since I've done several "F" swingarm conversion I can tell you that if you are using the '09 "F" pull arms and rocker that your rear end is setting about 12mm higher than the stock set up. You have to use a 143.5mm pull rod to get the rear end back to the stock height.

Just poked around here and found that the stem is 5mm shorter so it definitely makes sense that there is that gap. I am just hoping that the stem can be swapped out easy as in the thread that you shared the OP wasn’t saying the stem OD’s are different and he had to have a bushing made. Hopefully that’s not the case. Luxon confirms.

Thanks for the info on the rear end. I know you have that devol link just gotta get this figured out first...
8/4/2018 5:21pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2018 5:22pm
I posted in Helder's thread;

5/30/2018 7:39pm
Edited Date/Time: 5/30/2018 7:41pm

I've put several pair of "F" clamps on YZ's using the "F" stem without a problem.

I just took a set of NEKEN "F" clamps off my YZ last week. A lot of people act like you can't do this or there's big difference in the stems, but they slide right in without a problem.

I have a set of the non-SFS clamps that bored for the YZ forks.

Helder posted back;

5/30/2018 9:01pm

Thats how im running them now wothout a problem so far

jordon372
8/4/2018 5:26pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2018 5:27pm
I posted in Helder's thread; 5/30/2018 7:39pm Edited Date/Time: 5/30/2018 7:41pm I've put several pair of "F" clamps on YZ's using the "F" stem without a...
I posted in Helder's thread;

5/30/2018 7:39pm
Edited Date/Time: 5/30/2018 7:41pm

I've put several pair of "F" clamps on YZ's using the "F" stem without a problem.

I just took a set of NEKEN "F" clamps off my YZ last week. A lot of people act like you can't do this or there's big difference in the stems, but they slide right in without a problem.

I have a set of the non-SFS clamps that bored for the YZ forks.

Helder posted back;

5/30/2018 9:01pm

Thats how im running them now wothout a problem so far

Yeah I see your post but why would Helder be wanting to swap out the stem if he wasn’t experiencing some sort of issue? Luxon who makes clamps confirmed that it’s 5mm shorter. Why are you continuing to argue about it when it’s proven shorter? See screen shot above.
8/4/2018 5:36pm
I'm arguing because I know I had them mounted on my bike and the stem was flush with the top of the nut.

Send them back and I'll give you your money back or give you the Devol link to make up for your trouble.

Was there powder coat in the steering head before you put the races back in?
jordon372
8/4/2018 5:53pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2018 6:18pm
I'm arguing because I know I had them mounted on my bike and the stem was flush with the top of the nut. Send them back...
I'm arguing because I know I had them mounted on my bike and the stem was flush with the top of the nut.

Send them back and I'll give you your money back or give you the Devol link to make up for your trouble.

Do you really want them back?

I made sure both the seats were clean before putting the races in. That was my first thought was that one wasn’t seated properly but they’re in there. I’ve been scratching my head for days trying to figure out what’s up. Can’t fight the 5mm difference being an issue.. pretty sure I would be able to run the washer with the nut and have the stem sit flush with that extra length.

Edit: I think the yz125 takes the shorter stem so that is probably why it worked on your buddies 125s.
8/4/2018 6:26pm Edited Date/Time 8/5/2018 4:24am
If that's what you want.

I don't know what I do different, but I had the nut flush with the top of the clamp.

I have no intentions of screwing anybody over and if you can't get them to work and want to return them that's cool.

If I was trying to screw you over I never would have even posted in my defense. But, I truly did have them on there as I sent them to you with the nut flush or I never would have offered them like that and I wouldn't be on here arguing about.

Whatever will make you happy I'm good with.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
8/4/2018 6:31pm
I'm arguing because I know I had them mounted on my bike and the stem was flush with the top of the nut. Send them back...

jordon372 wrote:
Do you really want them back? I made sure both the seats were clean before putting the races in. That was my first thought was that...
Do you really want them back?

I made sure both the seats were clean before putting the races in. That was my first thought was that one wasn’t seated properly but they’re in there. I’ve been scratching my head for days trying to figure out what’s up. Can’t fight the 5mm difference being an issue.. pretty sure I would be able to run the washer with the nut and have the stem sit flush with that extra length.

Edit: I think the yz125 takes the shorter stem so that is probably why it worked on your buddies 125s.
The 125 and 250f stem is the same length. The 250 smoker is the longer stem. I have a set of 06 125 lower and upper clamps for my 05 YZ250 and have to swap the stem before I can use the lower clamp.
rallendude
8/5/2018 7:03am
Why not take the clamps back off and photo the lower clamp with the stem in it (from the bottom as well), and the steering stem bearing install, and how you stacked the spanner nut assembly and sort it here? It seems something is stacked up out of whack.
8/5/2018 6:27pm
250 2t has the longer stem. 250f and 450f has a different stem, as does the 125.

Not a huge difference between them, but enough to cause an issue. I wouldn’t run it as is, that’s for sure.

You can press the stem out in a vise or a press. It should pop out. You might have to apply heat, but I’m not sure if that’ll mess with the anodizing.
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1205th
8/6/2018 12:53pm
Yamaha sure did not make things easy in regards to clamp fitment among models and different years!

The two strokes have 2mm larger top clamp diameters than the four strokes.

There are three stem lengths:
YZ250 (two stroke) = long stem (what you need)
Newer four strokes = medium stem (what you have here)
YZ125 = short stem

All the stems are 5mm different from one-another. I looked at things pretty hard trying to come up with a "universal" stem design, but unfortunately it just wasn't possible. Gotta use the proper stem length for the bike.

I don't know about the Neken stuff, but I'd be surprised if they used a different stem interface in the lower clamp than stock. So you can most likely swap the Neken stem for your stock stem and you'll be good to go. I wouldn't run it as-is. You'll need a good press to do that, though, and likely a press tool to properly install the bearing. Also, you'll need to properly support the clamp in the press to avoid ruining the clamp. Best to take it to a shop that knows what they're doing if you don't have a press at your disposal.

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
8/6/2018 1:42pm
Luxon MX wrote:
Yamaha sure did not make things easy in regards to clamp fitment among models and different years! The two strokes have 2mm larger top clamp diameters...
Yamaha sure did not make things easy in regards to clamp fitment among models and different years!

YZ125 = short stem

All the stems are 5mm different from one-another. I looked at things pretty hard trying to come up with a "universal" stem design, but unfortunately it just wasn't possible. Gotta use the proper stem length for the bike.

I don't know about the Neken stuff, but I'd be surprised if they used a different stem interface in the lower clamp than stock. So you can most likely swap the Neken stem for your stock stem and you'll be good to go. I wouldn't run it as-is. You'll need a good press to do that, though, and likely a press tool to properly install the bearing. Also, you'll need to properly support the clamp in the press to avoid ruining the clamp. Best to take it to a shop that knows what they're doing if you don't have a press at your disposal.

Do you guys have clamps for 05 YZ250s yet? I always see N2Dirt talking about your stuff!
8/6/2018 2:00pm
Luxon MX wrote:
Yamaha sure did not make things easy in regards to clamp fitment among models and different years! The two strokes have 2mm larger top clamp diameters...

YZ125 = short stem

mattyhamz2 wrote:
Do you guys have clamps for 05 YZ250s yet? I always see N2Dirt talking about your stuff!
You can run newer clamps with a 1mm spacer. It’d probably be cheaper and easier for Luxon to supply the spacer with the 06+ clamps, vs. engineering new ones for a bastard year bike.

I used 2013 YZ250 clamps on my 05 and they went together no problem. I didn’t find the forks to bow in at all. I measured before and after with a micrometer and I didn’t have any brake rotor drag either. The threaded end of the axle does stick out a mm though.
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1205th
8/6/2018 4:35pm
Luxon MX wrote:

YZ125 = short stem

mattyhamz2 wrote:
You can run newer clamps with a 1mm spacer. It’d probably be cheaper and easier for Luxon to supply the spacer with the 06+ clamps, vs...
You can run newer clamps with a 1mm spacer. It’d probably be cheaper and easier for Luxon to supply the spacer with the 06+ clamps, vs. engineering new ones for a bastard year bike.

I used 2013 YZ250 clamps on my 05 and they went together no problem. I didn’t find the forks to bow in at all. I measured before and after with a micrometer and I didn’t have any brake rotor drag either. The threaded end of the axle does stick out a mm though.
TrailDigger is correct, we don't plan on making 05 specific clamps as there's not much call for 05 stuff anymore, plus the 06+ clamps almost fit directly. We do have Faster USA making some custom wheel spacers for using our 06+ clamps on an 05, though. If you're interested in a set of clamps I'll check in on where they're at with those.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
8/6/2018 5:50pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
You can run newer clamps with a 1mm spacer. It’d probably be cheaper and easier for Luxon to supply the spacer with the 06+ clamps, vs...

Luxon MX wrote:
TrailDigger is correct, we don't plan on making 05 specific clamps as there's not much call for 05 stuff anymore, plus the 06+ clamps almost fit...
TrailDigger is correct, we don't plan on making 05 specific clamps as there's not much call for 05 stuff anymore, plus the 06+ clamps almost fit directly. We do have Faster USA making some custom wheel spacers for using our 06+ clamps on an 05, though. If you're interested in a set of clamps I'll check in on where they're at with those.
I actually have a set of 06 yz125 clamps that I’m going to have Brian swap the stems on. I wasn’t sure if you guys went back to 06 or not. In the near future I’d like to get a set of your clamps for my bike
8/10/2018 3:55am
Luxon MX wrote:
TrailDigger is correct, we don't plan on making 05 specific clamps as there's not much call for 05 stuff anymore, plus the 06+ clamps almost fit...
I’d be interested in some. Black anodizing a possibility?
cdoggy81
8/10/2018 9:19pm
Good info here as I’m doing the 22mm triple clamps conversion as well. Thought the 250f/450f would slide right into my YZ250 frame but was ~ 5mm too short & will need to press out stem. Do you press it out from the bottom or the top ?
cdoggy81
8/10/2018 9:24pm
jordon372,
I’ve got this stuff if you need it still;
- Clean radiators (fill side)
- Oversized bars
- FMF silencer
- Lowered foot pegs (fastways)
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
8/10/2018 9:58pm
cdoggy81 wrote:
jordon372, I’ve got this stuff if you need it still; - 09+ YZ four stroke rear hub / wheel - Clean radiators (fill side) - Oversized...
jordon372,
I’ve got this stuff if you need it still;
- Clean radiators (fill side)
- Oversized bars
- FMF silencer
- Lowered foot pegs (fastways)
If Jordan doesn’t want the silencer, I’m interested. Is it a shorty?
cdoggy81
8/11/2018 4:18am
No, regular size I believe. Jordan has first shot though like you mentioned. Shoot me a PM so we don’t clutter up this thread.
Mx746
8/11/2018 4:53am
Is the 450 swingarm longer than the 250's? Id consider the swap to my 14 250 if there is a benefit other than a pound weight savings.
cdoggy81
8/11/2018 6:25am
The 450f is 5mm longer than the 250f swingarm from what I remember. I do not recall how much longer the 450f is over the 250 2 stroke arms though.
Everyone who does the swap can feel an improvement in handling plus you save over a few lbs bc you have to use the newer hub & axle Smile

Post a reply to: Yz Update

The Latest