Young, dumb and broke: Crf 250 build

Edited Date/Time 3/27/2018 2:31pm
So here’s how it started, thirteen year old me decided I wanted to join motocross, me and my family often went to track days and indoor super cross: this sparked an interest in a hobby that I could never afford, so I went out and bought a crf 250 2005 frame to start a build from scratch, having no income and hundreds of hours of free time I stated searching for parts. Bearing in mind I’ve only ridden motocross for 1 day ?.

So this is where I went wrong, I was going to build it from nothing, as I looked for parts I quickly understood that it would be near impossible to build it, and eventually cost more to build then just buying one outright. However me being a stubborn little sh*t that I was, decided to continue.

So here’s the present, I’m nearing 17, have a job at a motocross shop and therefore slightly more cash then I did before, over the 5 odd years I’ve been collecting parts, selling the ones that don’t fit and trying to save money. And again to make it more complicated; also trying to do a 2014 plastic conversion on it also (lots of twisting and bending of the fuel tank). I thought I would input my progress into something physical and put it up here for your comedic entertainment. I’d love to hear your input on this and maybe some tips or advice. I’m definitely over my head but really don’t want to give up. I’ll update this when I can! Cheers in advance!

|
JWACK
3/13/2018 5:35pm
I would seriously consider selling all the parts and buying a used 2 stroke for 500-1000 and be done with it!
But I applaud you for not giving up.
jhansen510
Fantasy
3595th
3/13/2018 5:54pm
Your going to have a lot of time and money into a bike that has no value. I recommend buying something that’s complete but blown up and fixing that.
ledger
3/13/2018 6:34pm
I agree with ^^^^ these guy's. Sell what you have and set your mind on a two stroke. I don't know your size, but a 125 is the most fun you can have on a dirt bike, ( You don't want to miss out on that ) and it's much cheaper and easier to maintain. You can do it.
byronf29
3/13/2018 8:20pm
I had a 05. It was a good bike for me. What parts do you still need ? I think I have a few Honda parts out in the garage.

The Shop

FWYT
3/13/2018 9:13pm
I just want to give you a big thumbs up for going the route of saving, scrimping and
putting it together yourself. You're learning a lots of good lessons along the way.
No one is handing it to you. Well done.
3/14/2018 12:58am
Thanks for the positive feedback! I had thought about going for 2 stroke but it was never realised. I just looked and saw a couple 03 cr 125 for a grand, is Honda good in terms of two stroke, I think I’d onyl go Honda due to my experience with them, (even if it’s small). And Byronf29 thanks for your offer, but I think I should be okay. I’ll have a little rethink cost up everything and decide what to do. - cheers
r18b
3/14/2018 1:42am
well with the age of 17 he is smart to stick it with Honda lol. Yes a cr125 no matter what age is fun enuff for a beginner to start riding.. Ya having a whole life in front of you to play around with dirt bikes. Just get rid of that crf crap or keep it if ya want it to put a older 2stroke engine in it. I would go for the 03 cr125 that's for sure. Or keep the money and save for a 05-07 cr125. Ok i would go for a 05-07 then i would be done with it. Good luck.
JWACK
3/14/2018 1:21pm
So hypothetically speaking if I got an 03 125 how many parts are interchangeable if any - cheers
Not much. Triple clamps and forks. The front wheel and brake set up should swap. Not sure on the rear wheel or rear brake stuff. That's likely about it.
3/14/2018 2:11pm
So this thread might end up being quite long, I’m going to put up my thoughts and ideas for those who are interested but if you want to see physical progress just ignore them. So I’m just weighing up what to do, I’d like to keep my original intentions the same, learning how it all works, I’m thinking at this point swapping to a Yamaha or kawi might not be too productive so if anything go for a newer gen al frame due the similarities with the 05 Crf frame. So this might quickly turn into a cr125 build instead :D I hope that doesn’t turn anyone down from this thread, it may not end up looking like the beautiful bikes you normally get on here though. Really I’m just looking for a route to enter this motocross scene before I get caught up with commitments with college, if two stroke is the way to go then so be it. I may just need a kick up the arse to get going though :D Don’t hesitate to give me your thoughts and opinions!
lcgordon711
3/14/2018 2:27pm
Like people have said go buy a 125 2 stroke for 1000 bucks. Any 2 stroke! You stated in your above post as being productive and that would be the most productive thing to do. If you want actually ride a bike atleast. If you want to just work on a bike and never ride and have tons of money and time into a pile then keep doing what your doing. For some people building the bike like you are doing is what they enjoy which if that is the case go for it man.
3/14/2018 3:13pm
Thanks for your input! I’m at starting to think 2t will probably be the best option, nearly everyone has said so, and that’s probably what I’ll end up doing, and yeah money is probably going to be the top limiting factor of this, maybe getting something abit rough round the edges is the best way to go, cheaper but also something I would be happy to work on. Best case scenario I’ll get something that I can ride and pimp up a little, anodising, vapour blasting etc (nothing Chavy though). If you know what I mean? Nothing hugely expensive but enough to create something unique to me. My goal from the start has been to ride and I suppose that is what I should focus on, maybe learning bits along the way but always drive for the finished product. Thanks, you’ve opened me up to a different perspective on things.
lcgordon711
3/14/2018 3:49pm
My advice if I was you try to save up 800-1000 dollars and buy the best condition 90s 125 you can find in you budget. Don't pick a brand or try to go too new. Too new it will probably be roached if its in your price range. Then just go ride. Go out and learn and have fun and you will probably have plenty of things to do on that bike as far as maintenance goes. IMO don't worry about putting money into blingy stuff. If you want to put in elbow grease go for it but with a budget bike you will never get your money back out of it and if you are tight on cash you need some for when things break or wear out.

If you want to still for fun work on your CRF by all means but why not ride for another 4 years while you are working. Plus a 125 is so much fun and you can really learn from that bike.
ledger
3/14/2018 3:50pm
Thanks for your input! I’m at starting to think 2t will probably be the best option, nearly everyone has said so, and that’s probably what I’ll...
Thanks for your input! I’m at starting to think 2t will probably be the best option, nearly everyone has said so, and that’s probably what I’ll end up doing, and yeah money is probably going to be the top limiting factor of this, maybe getting something abit rough round the edges is the best way to go, cheaper but also something I would be happy to work on. Best case scenario I’ll get something that I can ride and pimp up a little, anodising, vapour blasting etc (nothing Chavy though). If you know what I mean? Nothing hugely expensive but enough to create something unique to me. My goal from the start has been to ride and I suppose that is what I should focus on, maybe learning bits along the way but always drive for the finished product. Thanks, you’ve opened me up to a different perspective on things.
There's some good people on Vital, this site can get rough at times but, I think the majority would give you the shirt off their back. What is your weight and height if you don't mind ? You seem to have a good head on your shoulders, you'll do fine here, so props to you young man.
jhansen510
Fantasy
3595th
3/14/2018 4:57pm
I have seen lots of people find diamonds in the rough. People sell stuff they see as junk for a small price and it ends up being a simple mechanical fix. This is the direction I would point you in. Post adds on Craigslist for dirtbikes in disrepair. Wish you the best of luck.
3/15/2018 12:35am
(I’ll try and to respond to these in order) yeah so building a bike over 9 years may be a bit insane and in that case a bit of a hinderance, I’ll have a shop round and see what the market has for offer, then I might be able to find something to work towards.

I think it was the people here that drew me in the first place, everyone’s been extremely helpful and given me good advice; so yeah I totally agree. For weight and height I’m 9 stone (128 pounds) and 5’10.

And originally when I was looking for the project I saved for a little a looked a lot. I have some pictures of them on my phone so if you want to see the ads just ask. They were mainly around 550
ledger
3/15/2018 2:14am
(I’ll try and to respond to these in order) yeah so building a bike over 9 years may be a bit insane and in that case...
(I’ll try and to respond to these in order) yeah so building a bike over 9 years may be a bit insane and in that case a bit of a hinderance, I’ll have a shop round and see what the market has for offer, then I might be able to find something to work towards.

I think it was the people here that drew me in the first place, everyone’s been extremely helpful and given me good advice; so yeah I totally agree. For weight and height I’m 9 stone (128 pounds) and 5’10.

And originally when I was looking for the project I saved for a little a looked a lot. I have some pictures of them on my phone so if you want to see the ads just ask. They were mainly around 550
That's the perfect size and the 125 will feel like a rocket.
lcgordon711
3/16/2018 11:26am
Looks like you got a lot of work there to accumulate all of that stuff but it will be nice to get something that is readable while you work on it.
3/16/2018 11:43am
Right, so currently in the process of putting the smaller parts on Ebay, just to clear out some of the space. Don't really know what i'll end up getting for all of it but hopefully enough to embark on Part ll of this build, at the moment just seeing how it all goes, i actually didn't realize i had this many parts, but hey ho, not complaining. Smile Just hoping that people will need spare parts for the racing season! Progress is being made guys! Any thoughts or ideas? Feel free to talk to each other get the hype going Wink
3/16/2018 1:12pm
You may have better luck listing some parts here in the bazaar. EBay could kill you on fees.
3/24/2018 9:15am
Looks like u have most of the parts. I wouldn't bother parting it out unless u know there is a high demand for parts on those bikes. Just put it together and list what u need. I bet a lot of people have old parts laying around from the earlier 250f days. I think I have a mrd head pipe somewhere.
Goatsby
3/24/2018 10:44am
Let me know if you decide to keep the bike. I have a whole 06 minus the front end and exhaust, valve damage. Everything else should be ok though.
3/24/2018 11:20am
Yea, i've got it listed so if it doesn't sell i look into other options, i'm just searching for an interesting project in the meantime, thanks for the offer tho
3/27/2018 2:31pm
So here’s the update, been thinking long and hard for what to do, prices for bikes are on the up due to the new season starting so I’m just looking around, i’ve Seen a lot of yz’s mostly 01’s but a few 02’s, although I’m still a bit tight on cash I think if I resume he build, I’ll stick a 2 stroke engine in, I’m decent at cad so will measure up and design some brackets. But im Aiming To get in by the summer. Anyone got tips to where to look for a used bike? Thanks

Post a reply to: Young, dumb and broke: Crf 250 build

The Latest