Yamaha YZF 450 2018

Motofinne
5/23/2018 3:23am Edited Date/Time 2/6/2019 4:05pm
My build of a new 18 YZF 450. It will be like my 17 SXF 450 a build that progresses continually.

I'm still waiting on a lot of parts(plastics, graphics, wheels, exhausts, internal suspension upgrades etc). But i have installed a set of Pro Taper EVO bars with the Carmichael bend, Moose branded ARC brake lever(i'm still waiting on the clutch perch), seat bump(yeah i'm bringing those back), TM designworks case saver and a blue Superprox 50t sprocket.

|
Lynch
5/23/2018 5:01am
Damn WoohooWoohoo
greg570
5/24/2018 2:14am
Sorry to ask....but....why on earth did you sell 2016 FE450 for 2017 SXF450 and now YZF?

Is it to have a new bike in garage...or just because piston change approaching?

On the other note...did you/do you sell the cone valve forks?
LumpDog841
5/24/2018 4:05am
I'm interested to hear how this stacks up against your KTM. Nice bike btw!
Motofinne
5/24/2018 5:20am
greg570 wrote:
Sorry to ask....but....why on earth did you sell 2016 FE450 for 2017 SXF450 and now YZF? Is it to have a new bike in garage...or just...
Sorry to ask....but....why on earth did you sell 2016 FE450 for 2017 SXF450 and now YZF?

Is it to have a new bike in garage...or just because piston change approaching?

On the other note...did you/do you sell the cone valve forks?
I usually get a new bike after 60-80 hours of riding. My 17 KTM had 65h.

I didn't plan to get a new one for this season but i got the opportunity to ride several Yamahas with different set ups and i really, really liked it. So i pulled the trigger!

I'm going to sell everything from my 17 KTM, yes.

The Shop

Motofinne
5/24/2018 5:26am
LumpDog841 wrote:
I rode it for the first time yesterday, the early signs are very positive.

It turns way easier than my old KTM and it is incredibly stable in the corners. The only thing that is worse than the KTM is the weight. The extra weight is noticeable if you crossrut or hit a jump that is in bad condition that kicks the back end out. But that doesn't bother me. The turning capabilities, the suspension and the engine makes up for that.

But i have to get more hours on the bike, it took about 5 hours to break in the KTM.
ehr400
5/24/2018 6:29am
LumpDog841 wrote:
Just buy a new one James! Lol
mxb2
5/24/2018 6:42am
LumpDog841 wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
I rode it for the first time yesterday, the early signs are very positive. It turns way easier than my old KTM and it is incredibly...

It turns way easier than my old KTM and it is incredibly stable in the corners. The only thing that is worse than the KTM is the weight. The extra weight is noticeable if you crossrut or hit a jump that is in bad condition that kicks the back end out. But that doesn't bother me. The turning capabilities, the suspension and the engine makes up for that.

But i have to get more hours on the bike, it took about 5 hours to break in the KTM.
Hows the motor compare to the ktm? Or other 450 s you have ridden?
LumpDog841
5/24/2018 7:23am
ehr400 wrote:
Just buy a new one James! Lol
Bro, wedding shit is killing me. lol
Motofinne
5/24/2018 9:46am
LumpDog841 wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
I rode it for the first time yesterday, the early signs are very positive. It turns way easier than my old KTM and it is incredibly...

mxb2 wrote:
The local track is a semi hard packed track and it's very dry at the moment since we haven't had any rain in awhile. I just came home from the track and i have been riding with the smooth map.

The amount of torque and power that this bike has in the low to mid end is absolutely amazing. The KTM had its power higher up in the RPMs compared to this Yamaha.

The engine is way easier to ride and manage compared to the YZF 2017 that i tested one year ago.

I only have a little over 1 hour on the bike but i'm very, very happy with the decision that i made.
mxb2
5/24/2018 9:52am
Motofinne wrote:

mxb2 wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
The local track is a semi hard packed track and it's very dry at the moment since we haven't had any rain in awhile. I just...
The local track is a semi hard packed track and it's very dry at the moment since we haven't had any rain in awhile. I just came home from the track and i have been riding with the smooth map.

The amount of torque and power that this bike has in the low to mid end is absolutely amazing. The KTM had its power higher up in the RPMs compared to this Yamaha.

The engine is way easier to ride and manage compared to the YZF 2017 that i tested one year ago.

I only have a little over 1 hour on the bike but i'm very, very happy with the decision that i made.
Nice, thanks.
Motofinne
6/6/2018 3:21am
A little update.

I got the ARC clutch perch, the plastics/graphics and the Talon wheels.

I was tempted to get the blue Excel/Kite wheels that are available through the Yamaha dealers but they would've been too expensive.
mxb2
6/6/2018 10:06am
Motofinne wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/06/06/266296/s1200_IMG_2181.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/06/06/266295/s1200_IMG_2184.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/06/06/266294/s1200_IMG_2185.jpg[/img]

Sik bike man.
Motofinne
6/6/2018 10:54am
mxb2 wrote:
Sik bike man.
Thank you! I have to say that i'm very happy with the progress and the current look of the bike!
Lynch
6/6/2018 12:04pm
Looking good! Honestly love the blue rims.

What's the reason for the arc levers? Asking since I always use stock and see no reason to change the ones on my new Yamaha.
mxb2
6/6/2018 12:05pm
mxb2 wrote:
Sik bike man.
Motofinne wrote:
Thank you! I have to say that i'm very happy with the progress and the current look of the bike!
Np. Lookin good. Keep us posted
Motofinne
6/6/2018 1:08pm
Lynch wrote:
Looking good! Honestly love the blue rims. What's the reason for the arc levers? Asking since I always use stock and see no reason to change...
Looking good! Honestly love the blue rims.

What's the reason for the arc levers? Asking since I always use stock and see no reason to change the ones on my new Yamaha.
Yeah, i love them! So much better looking than the black wheels. Unfortunately i didn't have enough money to get a set of blue Excel wheels. I had to take the black Talon wheels.

I've also always used stock levers. But the bike that i got to test before i bought mine had ARC levers and i really liked them. The biggest difference is the grip. The stock levers are pretty slippery in my opinion!
Lynch
6/6/2018 1:23pm
Motofinne wrote:
Yeah, i love them! So much better looking than the black wheels. Unfortunately i didn't have enough money to get a set of blue Excel wheels...
Yeah, i love them! So much better looking than the black wheels. Unfortunately i didn't have enough money to get a set of blue Excel wheels. I had to take the black Talon wheels.

I've also always used stock levers. But the bike that i got to test before i bought mine had ARC levers and i really liked them. The biggest difference is the grip. The stock levers are pretty slippery in my opinion!
Easy fix, buy blue rims when the talons are toast Wink

Gotcha, I always put hockeygrip tape on my levers so never notice lack of grip. Will see if I do a build thread on my new bike, have a few things planned for it.
Motofinne
6/6/2018 2:04pm Edited Date/Time 6/6/2018 2:06pm
Motofinne wrote:
Yeah, i love them! So much better looking than the black wheels. Unfortunately i didn't have enough money to get a set of blue Excel wheels...

Lynch wrote:
Easy fix, buy blue rims when the talons are toast ;) Gotcha, I always put hockeygrip tape on my levers so never notice lack of grip...
Easy fix, buy blue rims when the talons are toast Wink

Gotcha, I always put hockeygrip tape on my levers so never notice lack of grip. Will see if I do a build thread on my new bike, have a few things planned for it.
Yeah i'm using hockeygrip in the winter and the ARC levers have a similar feel to them! It think they are actually worth it!

And i'm definitely getting blue Excel rims once the black Talon rims are in bad shape, probably next season?
HenryA
6/7/2018 10:32am
Was just gonna post that she needs a fancy exhaust but then I noticed that you mentioned it in the very begining sooo....what pipe are u getting? Cool
Motofinne
6/7/2018 1:18pm
HenryA wrote:
Was just gonna post that she needs a fancy exhaust but then I noticed that you mentioned it in the very begining sooo....what pipe are u...
Was just gonna post that she needs a fancy exhaust but then I noticed that you mentioned it in the very begining sooo....what pipe are u getting? Cool
Well i haven't decided yet, mostly because i can't afford one yet since i haven't been able to sell all my KTM parts yet...

But all i know is that it wont be a FMF pipe. A friend that rides the local track has a full titanium FMF pipe on his 18 Yamaha and it is the loudest pipe that i have ever heard. It would never ever pass the sound test in a race! I'm leaning towards Akrapovic or HGS at the moment.
Zycki11
6/9/2018 7:01pm
I would love more ride reports. I am going to be pulling the trigger on one here after a little bit, currently I am on a 14 yz250f done up pretty nice. But now its time to go back to a 450. If you had any dislikes what would they be?
Motofinne
6/11/2018 2:43am Edited Date/Time 6/11/2018 2:58am
Zycki11 wrote:
I would love more ride reports. I am going to be pulling the trigger on one here after a little bit, currently I am on a...
I would love more ride reports. I am going to be pulling the trigger on one here after a little bit, currently I am on a 14 yz250f done up pretty nice. But now its time to go back to a 450. If you had any dislikes what would they be?
Here is something that should be evidence of how good the bike is for me.

I had round 3 of the series i race in Finland this week. The 2 previous races have been disasters. I got 22-dnf in rd 1 and 16-dnf(broken chain) in round 2.

Round 3 was at one of very few real hard packed tracks here in Finland.

I qualified 6th. Won the first moto(first ever win in my "career"). Crashed hard in moto 2 on the first lap when a rider fell infront of me on lap 1, i got up and was last but managed to finish in 9th(15 min + 2 lap long motos) despite the track was really difficult to pass on. 2nd overall on the day with 1-9 finishes (yeah, i got a bit lucky there but speedwise i was clearly the 2nd best rider on the day).

It really was an amazing weekend for me. The bike is incredible. And this result means that i will probably ride 2 of the Finnish MX1 championship rounds later this summer.

My best result ever before this was 7th in a moto (a mudder) 2 years ago(11th overall that day) and 9th overall in a race last year.

Motofinne
6/11/2018 5:02am
A picture with the Talon wheels and the GYTR skidplate.

Lynch
6/11/2018 5:04am Edited Date/Time 6/11/2018 5:05am
You mind sending me a few pics of the skidplate mounted Simon? Thinking about buying that skidplate myself and want to see what it covers before I order everything.
Zycki11
6/11/2018 9:52am
Nice. Glad you like it.
Motofinne
6/11/2018 11:25am Edited Date/Time 6/11/2018 12:17pm
Zycki11 wrote:
Nice. Glad you like it.
I tried a 17 last year and disliked it(too much power that couldn't be used, it felt heavy in corners, it felt really wide). So i was sceptical when i got on a 18 for the first time earlier this year but it blew me away. Huge step up from the 17 (keep in mind that i'm a shorter rider, 175cm "long"). As i said earlier, the only drawback is the weight. It's not a problem but a diet would probably make it even better!
Motofinne
6/11/2018 12:17pm
Lynch wrote:
You mind sending me a few pics of the skidplate mounted Simon? Thinking about buying that skidplate myself and want to see what it covers before...
You mind sending me a few pics of the skidplate mounted Simon? Thinking about buying that skidplate myself and want to see what it covers before I order everything.
I'll snap a few pictures tomorrow! I did drill some holes in it.
Motofinne
6/12/2018 12:23am
Lynch wrote:
You mind sending me a few pics of the skidplate mounted Simon? Thinking about buying that skidplate myself and want to see what it covers before...

Post a reply to: Yamaha YZF 450 2018

The Latest