Yamaha YZ250F 2020

Related:
Create New Tag

10/29/2019 1:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/21/2020 11:53 AM

Thought i would start a thread about my 250F build that i'll work on through the winter. The bike will be racing in the Finnish MX2 championship in 2020!

The list of planned or already made mods (15.11):

Polished head (✓)
Twin Air Powerflow kit (✓)
JE High Comp piston (still a question mark because of reliability)
Acerbis X-Seat Air (✓)
Lainer PDS system for the fork (✓)
Akrapovic full titanium exhaust (incoming in March)
Drilled air box cover (✓)
Pro Taper levers (✓)
Xtrig ROCS Pro clamps (✓)
Ti pegs (✓)
Smaller Ti bolts (incoming)
Graphics (incoming)
Excel/Haan wheels (✓)

|

10/29/2019 1:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/30/2019 5:21 AM

So i have already 9,5 hours on the bike and some of the parts that still haven't been installed even though they are in the garage, like Xtrig clamps, Lainer PDS, Pro Taper levers etc. I have wanted to ride the bike close to stock for a while because i have been on a 450 for about 8-9 years before this switch.

The head will be done now when the weather gets bad here in Finland. I haven't still decided on what pipe configuration i will get. I have the option of FMF, Akrapovic and Yoshimura.

I drilled the air box cover this week and got to try it out. The sound of the bike when riding was intense, you can really notice the way the bike sucks in more air. Did it improve the performance? Well, maybe a bit. not by much though.

|

10/29/2019 1:49 PM

One question that i have is about the piston. I'll change it when i have 30 hours on the bike and what are your thoughts about a high comp piston? Wiseco Racer Elite piston is the option for me if i go with a high comp piston.

|

10/31/2019 5:16 AM

Motofinne wrote:

One question that i have is about the piston. I'll change it when i have 30 hours on the bike and what are your thoughts about a high comp piston? Wiseco Racer Elite piston is the option for me if i go with a high comp piston.

I’d be cautious of a HC piston unless you upgrade the rod. My buddy had a 15’ yz450 and he blew 2 rods because the oem Rod was not strong enough for the HC piston.

|

10/31/2019 10:00 AM

Motofinne wrote:

cody41 wrote:

I’d be cautious of a HC piston unless you upgrade the rod. My buddy had a 15’ yz450 and he blew 2 rods because the oem Rod was not strong enough for the HC piston.

Yeah i'm leaning towards sticking with stock pistons through the lifetime of the bike.

|

11/1/2019 9:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/1/2019 9:10 AM

Forgot to add that HGS full system(stainless steel) is also an option. It's also by far the cheapest one, even cheaper than only a Ti FMF slip-on.

|

11/3/2019 5:07 AM

The head is getting sent out next week because the winter is here where i live.

|

11/3/2019 8:33 AM

Motofinne wrote:

Forgot to add that HGS full system(stainless steel) is also an option. It's also by far the cheapest one, even cheaper than only a Ti FMF slip-on.

You should consider that, great pipes especially if you tune your bike after the head work on a dyno.

|

11/7/2019 4:49 AM

Motofinne wrote:

2F4A wrote:

You should consider that, great pipes especially if you tune your bike after the head work on a dyno.

Do you have any experience with the HGS pipe on the YZ250F? I had HGS on my SXF450 but i'm wondering if FMF would perform better on the YZ250F?

I would like more power in the higher RPMs.

|

11/8/2019 4:23 PM

Motofinne wrote:

2F4A wrote:

Motofinne wrote:

Do you have any experience with the HGS pipe on the YZ250F? I had HGS on my SXF450 but i'm wondering if FMF would perform better on the YZ250F?

Yes.

I have tested different pipes on the 2019 and in my believe the HGS had the best testing results out of the box.
If your goal is to reach more power in higher RPM's i would definitely take the HGS.

Budget wise especially, for the price of the Akrapovic you can buy the HGS and the biggest part of a GET ecu. If that ECU if mapped properly it is going to give you so much more possibilities and adjustments regarding the power band and behavior of your bike.

|

11/12/2019 9:06 AM

2F4A wrote:

Motofinne wrote:

2F4A wrote:

Yes.

I have tested different pipes on the 2019 and in my believe the HGS had the best testing results out of the box.
If your goal is to reach more power in higher RPM's i would definitely take the HGS.

Budget wise especially, for the price of the Akrapovic you can buy the HGS and the biggest part of a GET ecu. If that ECU if mapped properly it is going to give you so much more possibilities and adjustments regarding the power band and behavior of your bike.

Thanks for the feedback, i decided today to get the HGS pipe. I also got a graph comparing the stock pipe to the HGS on a YZ250F and like you say, it increases the power in the high RPMs and in the mid RPMs which is what i'm looking for!

|

11/13/2019 7:25 AM

Didn't you have a newer YZ450 that shit the bed prematurely?

|

11/13/2019 7:33 AM

Rickyisms wrote:

Had a 2018 and 2019 450, no issues at all. I think you're mixing me with some other user.

|

11/13/2019 9:25 AM

Rickyisms wrote:

Motofinne wrote:

Had a 2018 and 2019 450, no issues at all. I think you're mixing me with some other user.

Most likely. Looking forward to following your build.

|

11/14/2019 8:17 AM

Motofinne wrote:

2F4A wrote:

Yes.

Motofinne wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, i decided today to get the HGS pipe. I also got a graph comparing the stock pipe to the HGS on a YZ250F and like you say, it increases the power in the high RPMs and in the mid RPMs which is what i'm looking for!

Pipes in stock if you want it for the best possible price ;-)

|

11/14/2019 9:45 AM

hi i have a 20 yzf 250 my bike in completely stock only technical touch kit fork and shock way better than original i have also a 19 crf 450 with technical touch suspension and its amazing

|

11/15/2019 4:42 AM

2F4A wrote:

Yes.

Motofinne wrote:

2F4A wrote:

Pipes in stock if you want it for the best possible price ;-)

Send a mail to simppe75(at)hotmail.com!

|

11/27/2019 1:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/27/2019 9:08 PM

I scored two Excel/Haan rear wheels for an absolutely insane price! I have a set of Talon EVO spare wheels from the 450 days and i'll lace a silver Excel rim to the blue Talon hub and run silver/blue wheels. Its not often that you see Yamahas with silver/blue wheels so it thought i would try it out!

The blue/black wheel will be a spare wheel for the racing season.

And i have a small update regarding the head. I should get it back next week and if everything goes well the bike will be running next weekend!

|

11/29/2019 7:45 AM

Odd man out here but I really fuckin love silver wheels on some bikes. Especially the older HRC bikes with silver wheels and red hubs.

|

12/1/2019 12:06 AM

Rickyisms wrote:

Odd man out here but I really fuckin love silver wheels on some bikes. Especially the older HRC bikes with silver wheels and red hubs.

Yeah silver wheels (with anodized hubs in the OEM color) works on Hondas and Yamahas in my opinion! I could also see it looking good on some Kawasakis depending on what kind of plastics/graphics the bike has.

|

12/1/2019 4:35 AM

Motofinne wrote:

I scored two Excel/Haan rear wheels for an absolutely insane price! I have a set of Talon EVO spare wheels from the 450 days and i'll lace a silver Excel rim to the blue Talon hub and run silver/blue wheels. Its not often that you see Yamahas with silver/blue wheels so it thought i would try it out!

The blue/black wheel will be a spare wheel for the racing season.

And i have a small update regarding the head. I should get it back next week and if everything goes well the bike will be running next weekend!

Sweet! Best wheels I have owned!

|

12/1/2019 10:35 AM

2F4A wrote:

Sweet! Best wheels I have owned!

Yeah Haan is a very good brand, i had a set of Haan wheels back in my last minibike year and they were bulletproof!

|

12/1/2019 5:28 PM

Great stuff you have there.

|

12/2/2019 3:04 AM

metabear18 wrote:

Great stuff you have there.

Thanks!

|

12/6/2019 9:12 AM

The head arrived!

|

12/19/2019 7:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/23/2019 7:06 AM

I might be biased but i think these turned out pretty good!

The bike is also running now! But the weather here is absolutely horrible so i wont get to try it out for a while...

|

12/27/2019 8:44 AM

A quick tip for you with 19-20 yz250f bikes. The heat shield on the left side of the pipe is not very well designed on the stock exhaust. If you use boots with hinges like Alpinestars Tech 10 your left boot will get stuck because of the heat shield catching the hinge when you put your left leg forward.

Not the prettiest solution but it fixes it!

|

2/2/2020 3:26 PM

How are you getting on with it All?...

|

2020 Yamaha YZ 450
2014 KTM 250 SX / Full Ohlins

imoto34 wrote:
Look at all that torque. The kid on the lawnmower may have laughed so hard he shat his pants.

2/3/2020 3:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/4/2020 8:32 AM

#76 wrote:

How are you getting on with it All?...

Fitted the Xtrig clamps, Polisport handguards and got to ride 3 days on a sand track a week or two ago! The winter here in Finland has been very warm (Greta Thunberg might have a point haha) so until this week we were able to ride with normal tires which is unheard of, i have never ever been able to ride in normal conditions in January.

The headwork gave me a bit more torque/pulling power out of turn but i'm still looking for more performance, especially in deep sand. So i'll order a pipe this week. Full HGS, Akrapovic or FMF, still haven't decided. But i need to work on the mapping too, i was running the Keefer Free Feeling map and i'm not sure if it works with my bike at the moment.

I'll also swap to a JE Pro series piston when i have around 30 hours on the bike (13 right now).

|

2/5/2020 3:08 PM

Motofinne wrote:

Fitted the Xtrig clamps, Polisport handguards and got to ride 3 days on a sand track a week or two ago! The winter here in Finland has been very warm (Greta Thunberg might have a point haha) so until this week we were able to ride with normal tires which is unheard of, i have never ever been able to ride in normal conditions in January.

The headwork gave me a bit more torque/pulling power out of turn but i'm still looking for more performance, especially in deep sand. So i'll order a pipe this week. Full HGS, Akrapovic or FMF, still haven't decided. But i need to work on the mapping too, i was running the Keefer Free Feeling map and i'm not sure if it works with my bike at the moment.

I'll also swap to a JE Pro series piston when i have around 30 hours on the bike (13 right now).

Good to hear that you are getting outside and putting in some track time in January!, that will never happen here lol.

Are you going to run the MX32's?.

I am looking at the Bridgestone X30's again, but maybe Starcross 5 inters?.

I remember when you was KTM 450, as I was too, then you went to Yamaha 450, now this, good for you!. smile

|

2020 Yamaha YZ 450
2014 KTM 250 SX / Full Ohlins

imoto34 wrote:
Look at all that torque. The kid on the lawnmower may have laughed so hard he shat his pants.