YZ85 build

Related:
Create New Tag

3/12/2018 6:25 PM

Picked up a non-running yz85 for pretty cheap, it was missing the air box boot and the kick lever wasn't turning the engine over. It had an FMF pipe although it was pretty rough, the plating had come off on the first section of the pipe, resulting in lots of rust. Also had a FMF silencer that seems to be in good shape other than I am sure it probably would need to be repacked. The bike also had a 9oz Steahly flywheel weight on it already. The pictures are from the day we got it home.
Photo

Photo

Photo

|

3/12/2018 6:33 PM

After pulling the side cover off and finding the return spring installed wrong on the kick lever I decided to pull the clutch apart and pull the pipe and intake off to check the top end. Good thing I did too because the idler gear between the clutch basket and the kick lever gear was missing its retaining clip. The top end wasn't much better after getting a look at it through the exhaust and intake ports I decided to go a head and pull the cylinder off. Someone had put a piston in recently but installed it backwards, also looks like someone had sleeved the cylinder and did some port work to it, the bore was stock size. After all this I gave up and decided to just split the cases, clean it all up and put a new crank and top end on it. What started as a good deal has turned into a full frame up build. I just hope my daughter can be patient while I am building this thing, and appreciate the amount of money I am going to have to spend and the time it will take to do the work. Seems like a good time to have her help me with some of it so she can learn and take pride in the fact that she helped work on her bike. I posted a wanted ad in the bazar section as there are some parts I need and some I want to replace if anyone has some parts for it.

|

3/14/2018 4:20 PM

Took the pegs off the 450 that I am parting out and put them on the 85, I also found a radiator on closeout for the bike so I ordered it to replace the twisted one that was on the bike. Only updates so far
Photo

Photo

|

3/15/2018 12:18 PM

I just did the same thing for my son, ratty 85 he bought for 500, went through the motor and did a good clean up on it. He got new 17 plastic for it for his birthday and looks nad runs strong now.

|

kcco

3/15/2018 6:50 PM

dl117 wrote:

I just did the same thing for my son, ratty 85 he bought for 500, went through the motor and did a good clean up on it. He got new 17 plastic for it for his birthday and looks nad runs strong now.

post up some pics. We are going to put the updated plastic on this bike also. A few updates, put her bars on that were off of her kx, laid the seat cover out too until I have time to mount it up. Repurposed the Sunline folding levers from my 450, that is being parted out, onto the 85 and also the rear brake master cylinder so I could get rid of the remote mounted reservoir on the stock 85 rear brake setup. The stock 85 pedal still works with this setup.
Photo

Photo

|

3/15/2018 7:00 PM

The handguards are a transplant from the 450 also.
Photo

Photo

|

3/16/2018 9:57 PM

Man I wish you bought this sooner, I just sold a set of big wheels for a yz85 I built for my girlfriend. Black rims with hot pink hubs, I had a hell of a time selling them since not to many girls ride these. Some guys son ended up wanting them and picked them up. I have a hot pink shock spring I’m selling from it if you’re interested.

|

3/18/2018 4:13 PM

bkillgore wrote:

Man I wish you bought this sooner, I just sold a set of big wheels for a yz85 I built for my girlfriend. Black rims with hot pink hubs, I had a hell of a time selling them since not to many girls ride these. Some guys son ended up wanting them and picked them up. I have a hot pink shock spring I’m selling from it if you’re interested.

Where did you find pink hubs? Or did you get them powder coated?

|

3/18/2018 10:45 PM

I had them powder coated.

|

3/19/2018 4:56 PM

Radiator showed up today. I also tracked down some of the parts that I need and this will be here later this week or beginning of next week. I am still looking for a cylinder

Photo

Photo

|

4/8/2018 9:53 AM

A few updates on the build, sent the suspension off to be rebuilt and revalved. A new crank, suspension bearings and few odds and ends parts also showed up. I was originally wanting to get the frame and subframe powder coated but I think that step will have to wait until next winter when I tear it down to grease everything.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

5/10/2018 3:51 PM

Well my build has taken a completely different direction, the CFO decided that we needed to quit dumping money into this bike and just buy our daughter a new bike.
Photo

|

5/10/2018 5:42 PM

Right on, I bet there is a big ol smile under that helmet.

|

5/10/2018 7:58 PM

BenG wrote:

Right on, I bet there is a big ol smile under that helmet.

Yeah there is, I told her I wanted to take her picture to send to the dealer we got the bike from since they gave us such a good deal on the bike and all the stuff they gave my daughter after we bought the bike. By the time I got the camera she already had her stuff on and was telling me to hurry up with the picture so she could ride lol. CFO aka mom said she wished she would've ok'd the new bike long before now, oh well hindsight is 20/20.

|