YZ250 Woods Bike Build? Help...

Related:
Create New Tag

5/17/2018 2:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/17/2018 5:18 PM

Working on my 10’ yz250 to make it a better woods trail bike. It just got a list of stuff done to it... give me some recommendations on cosmetic stuff since i am not very engine saavy besides doing basic maintenance...

So far its got...
- Full Motor Rebuild
- Moose Racing Contour Handguards
- New Radiators
- New Bridgestone x30s F/R
- Full FMF gnarly/powercore 2
- Odi Rouge Grips
- New Brake Pads F/R
- Acerbis Plastic Skid Plate

Future Mods...
- 9oz Steahly FWW (came with bike)
- Acerbis X Frame Guards (Blue/Black)
- Motoseat Gripper Seat
- 2015+ Plastic Conversion Kit
- New Graphics for Harescramble Season
- IMS Superstock Pegs
- Tusk Hour Meter

|

5/17/2018 3:00 PM

Why not get newer YZF foot pegs? Wider and really nice. A ton on ebay right now.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

5/17/2018 5:15 PM

Retard the timing a degree or two. Will add to the tractability of it and will lessen the snap.

You could also buy a 250X CDI.

Also, no skid plate?

|

If you're not mixing gas, you're not haulin ass.

5/17/2018 5:19 PM

TrailDigger wrote:

Retard the timing a degree or two. Will add to the tractability of it and will lessen the snap.

You could also buy a 250X ...more

Updated! And i like the snap. The bike will lug up a lot of hills as is.

|

5/17/2018 5:23 PM

Alec138 wrote:

Updated! And i like the snap. The bike will lug up a lot of hills as is.

Not sure if you are banging it off rocks, but you may want to get a metal skidplate. I’ve seen plastic ones crack and snap from good hits. They don’t protect much when you smash a rock and the plate bends or cracks into the engine.

The YZ engines are easy to tinker with and find a happy medium.

Have you had the head cut? The stock dome and head shape isn’t the best and you can do a squish test with solder and send the results and the head out to be cut for pump gas and whatever riding you prefer. Gives better gas mileage as well as making it run better overall. The stock head shape can cause detonation on pump gas and if the timing is advanced. The timing marks on the case aren’t accurate btw.

|

If you're not mixing gas, you're not haulin ass.

5/17/2018 9:30 PM

I have a rekluse clutch on mine, one of the older ones, despite what you hear on here it works awesome makes the bike really easy to manage on hard enduro single track. You can soften the engagement and a flywheel weight is not needed. I didn't think I needed it or would like it but after I tried it I don't think I could ride tight trails as well without it now.

|

5/17/2018 11:50 PM

FWW, Rekluse and a G2 Throttle Tamer turned my hard hitting 08 RM250 into a smooth pulling tractor.

All these mods still maintain the original 'snap' but at the same time makes the power more modulated and easier to control. You may currently like the snap but against the clock, smooth and tractable is nearly always quicker. Plus it makes the bike less tiring which helps a ton in 2/3 hour enduro's (if that's what you're competing in?)

Also don't forget the suspension. MX valving is incredibly harsh for woods riding, so a woods specific revalve will make the bike feel 100X better, easier to ride and faster.

|

@russ_69