YZ250 10year refresh????

Related:
Create New Tag

12/1/2018 12:47 PM

So my YZ250 recently had maintenance done so everything mechanical is great, just cosmetically looks a little old even tho its basically in mint condition.
I don't recall what year it is, is there a way to tell by looking at a certain number on the vin?
I replaced the plastics like 4-5years ago I think cant remember.

Just want a modern OEM looking setup new graphics all over possibly a ribbed seat cover. been out of the mx game for such a long time from wrist injuries, just riding around the farm and stuff so busting this out over the winter to see what I can do then sell in spring and get a new bike if my wrists can take it...
not sure who has the best deal on graphics, want it to look mint as possible for when I sell it (dont want to over invest)
Please advise

Photo
Photo

|

12/2/2018 12:28 AM

From what I can see, the non wave rotors, the dark grey clutch cover, the bigger chain guide on the swingarm and the kayaba SSS suspension(with white rings), the bike is a 2006 or 2007 model.

The plastics and airbox are model 2015-2019

A decal set can do a lot if you want your bike to look clean, for the rest the bike looks clean for its age. It hasn't a lot of hours on it?

I also changed the plastics, decals, rotors on my 2007, here is a before and after:

Photo

Photo

|

12/2/2018 3:35 PM

great!
So for the radiator/tank, fork lowers, front fender and rear fender which year am I looking for? the side panels are a different year from the rest correct?

|

12/2/2018 8:27 PM

The 10th digit on the vin is the year.

|

12/3/2018 8:15 AM

cdoggy81 wrote:

The 10th digit on the vin is the year.

thanks, its a 2008. Ready to order graphics here, so which year are the tank/radiator to order and which year fits the tail and side panels?

|

12/3/2018 8:22 AM

it's not always right to check the year by the 10th digit, 2008 had wave rotors, newer fork lugs and upper tubes, smaller front brake caliper, other model of front brake master cylinder, smaller rear chain guide,...
If you buy a graphic set, buy a 2015 and up, and it will fit your bike.the front fork protectors are not the right ones on your bike, the ones on your bike are 2008 and up but i'm sure the fork lugs are a different bolt pattern

check this to check what year:

Photo

|

12/3/2018 8:30 AM

ok so ive got 15+ everything EXCEPT the fork covers?
thanks so much!

|

12/3/2018 9:38 AM

the graphics for the fork covers wil also fit on the covers that are on your bike, they are the newer model(2008 and up)

but they are not the ones that should be on your bike, do all the 3 bolts in the covers fit your fork lugs?

|

12/3/2018 10:13 AM

got it thanks for clarifying, no ive only got one bolt in the middle holding them on.
I ordered a kit.... will update thread when they come on Thursday. also some new grips and other little bits. I detailed the bike this morning. If I can pop the dent out of the pipe this thing is going to look brand new!

|

12/3/2018 10:19 AM

the graphics on the fork covers on my bike are also for the newer model but I adjusted them a bit to fit on the older model of the fork covers. As you can see there is a bit more white from the plastic on the underside.

|

12/3/2018 4:04 PM

The 10th digit in a 17 digit VIN represents the year of the vehicle. Have a look at this chart: https://support.alldata.com/alldata-repair-online-article/vin-to-year-chart

|

12/3/2018 6:44 PM

Matthias is ALWAYS right to check the vin as that is a MFG standard. That will ALWAYS tell you the year of the frame. Now I do agree with you that things can be added or removed from a frame, engine, suspension, etc. but checking the vin is a really good place to start... :-)

|

12/4/2018 8:24 AM

Maybe in the US but that method doesn't work in Europe, The 10th digit of my bike is a 0 but its a 2007.

|

12/6/2018 9:28 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/6/2018 9:29 AM

|

12/6/2018 12:04 PM

From what I've heard, the VIN 10th digit thing is US only. Though this does appear to be a US bike.

I am also confused (like Matthias) about this being a 2008 with the non-wave rotors. I put a rear wave rotor off of ebay on my 2006 YZ125 and am about to list it for sale, and had to research which year they started putting it on the bike for my ad. It's 2008. The other thing is the fork protector guides being white - that's a sure 2006/2007 sign, because they went to black in 2008. I also replaced those with factory KYB guides (like the ones used in the FasterUSA/Dirt Bike Mag YZ125 build on this forum), which is how/why I'm familiar with it.

But it's always possible that the frame itself is a 2008, with the rest of the parts being off a 2006 or 2007. You never know, a lot of YZ frames get sold on ebay. You could potentially find out though. When I bought my YZ125 I called Yamaha and had them run some checks on my frame's VIN and the engine serial number. Interestingly, the engine on my bike did NOT ship with the frame, but both were 2006. The PO mentioned buying a "crated motor" for the bike after they blew up the original one, and compared to the rest of the bike the engine did look brand new cosmetically (and internally once I did the first top end and shift stopper replacement). But there is no such thing as buying a crated motor from Yamaha (they told me this directly when I called), so I'm guessing someone just parted out some 2006 that was hardly ridden, or something like that... *shrug*. If you give Yamaha a call they may shed some light on it.

|

12/6/2018 5:20 PM

Impressive bike!

|

Trying bf goodrich tires for off-roading for the first time.

12/7/2018 8:56 PM

You have a franken-bike. Your plastics are 15 and up, looks like someone bought the kit for a 15 with the airbox. The rest of the middle of your bike indicates 08-14 by the bolts, pegs, etc. But the front end is def 06-07. Those fork guards will only fit properly if they your forks were 08 and up (there 15 up two stroke). You also have an 07 or older front brake caliper and master cylinder. Not a bad thing either tho as jgr ran the same on the last year they raced Yamahas. But get ride of that heavy front brake line guide. You also have an 06 or older swingarm judging by the chain block. When you order graphics order 15 to current tho not 08.

|