YZ 250 rebuild - “finished”

Edited Date/Time 6/14/2018 6:30pm
Hey guys just wanted to show off my 2011 YZ 250 bike build. Had plans to rebuild the engine during the winter months and thought ehh I can squeeze out a few more motos this season before I rebuild it. Wrong!! While going thru the rollers I heard a weird noise and thought I better shut it down. Got into the corner and that’s when she stopped. Locked up solid. Ran the top end too long on the stock piston and broke the skirt. My own fault. Anyways here’s what the bike looked like before tear down

And at least I got a good picture the day of

|
4/16/2018 1:48pm
Blew the top end in late September and my buddy let me ride his YZ 125 a few times to finish out the season. Tore it down a few weeks later and found this carnage...

Found all of this in my reed cage...new V Force petals fixed that!

And some beers later we were finished!
4/16/2018 1:54pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2018 1:56pm
Worked on cleaning the frame up

Not to self...green scotch brite pads are better!

More progress

Ended up having some time off work due to a tornado damaging one of our plants so took advantage of that and hung some insulation and drywall in the garage. Slowly trying to finish that when I have extra money that isn’t being consumed by my bike and at the time Christmas

Happy to buy a nice first house back in July of 16 with a awesome garage. 27x40!
4/16/2018 2:04pm
And the fun begins!

Loaded the bike up and took it to my parents house and worked on it in the shop. Dad has a wood stove in there so we were always warm while working on it which makes a huge difference.
Used his blast cabinet and blasted these parts with glass bead. Sent them to a friend of mine to have them done in cerakote.

Finished and turned out amazing. Burnt bronze & Tungsten are the colors.
New wheels arrived and used my cousins truing stand to double check wheels and spoke tightness. A few small tweaks here and there was all that’s needed.

Pirate421
4/16/2018 2:04pm
Awesome garage. Any big plans for the bike or rebuild and clean? Just bought my second YZ250 love em

The Shop

4/16/2018 2:09pm
Now for the engine. Tore the bottom end down and split the cases. Found chunks of the piston in places I didn’t want to find it lol.

A big sigh of relief was the crank is in great shape. Spun true and freely so clean it up and back in she goes!

4/16/2018 2:11pm
Pirate421 wrote:
Awesome garage. Any big plans for the bike or rebuild and clean? Just bought my second YZ250 love em
Thanks man. Gonna change up the look of it a little
4/16/2018 2:16pm
Was able to make more progress and have it looking like a bike again.

Made a trip to Harbor Freight and bought a new stand since my plastic matrix one turned into a hunk of shit

Also helps my wife has a Cricut and is into making crafty things. She cut out a vinyl graphic for me

Had the local body shop mix up some Impulse Blue Metallic paint that matches my car...

Can’t wait to get the bike on it now!!

4/16/2018 2:23pm
A new forged Wiseco Pro-Lite piston and the cylinder were sent off to Powerseal USA. But before that I had to tease myself and mock up the cylinder for looks

More work!

Motostuff banjo bolts are so good looking with this cerakoted caliper

Just the stock guard hydrodipped. Not real carbon fiber
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
4/16/2018 2:31pm
She's lookin good so far. Any plans to do the new plastic kit?
4/16/2018 2:36pm
Not sure I’m 100% happy with how my pipe turned out. I neglected it over the down time and it rusty. Wasn’t able to get it clean with a scotch brite pad. Glass bead cabinet and blasted it. Used a torch to heat the welds. Didn’t take my time and rushed it. Might just run it anyways

Got some more done

Last picture is how the bike currently sits. Added some more body parts no real changes. Cylinder should be back any day now. Powerseal told me “roughly 4 weeks” since they are so busy. Took longer than I wanted to but oh well. I should of sent it out sooner. I’ll post more as I get it. Hopefully going to change my graphics up since these have been on the bike for a few years now and are starting to look beat
4/16/2018 2:38pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Not a fan of the new style air box. Might change the shrouds to the updated look to match my restyled front & rear fenders
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
4/16/2018 2:46pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Not a fan of the new style air box. Might change the shrouds to the updated look to match my restyled front & rear fenders
I get that. I feel like the graphics and backgrounds have to be just right, otherwise some of them look weird.

BTW, for cleaning the factory finish pipes, bleach and water in a spray bottle and a brillow pad. Works wonders and brings it back to the new look
4/16/2018 3:01pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I get that. I feel like the graphics and backgrounds have to be just right, otherwise some of them look weird. BTW, for cleaning the factory...
I get that. I feel like the graphics and backgrounds have to be just right, otherwise some of them look weird.

BTW, for cleaning the factory finish pipes, bleach and water in a spray bottle and a brillow pad. Works wonders and brings it back to the new look
Thanks for the cleaning tip! I’ll have to try that out
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
4/16/2018 3:41pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I get that. I feel like the graphics and backgrounds have to be just right, otherwise some of them look weird. BTW, for cleaning the factory...

Thanks for the cleaning tip! I’ll have to try that out
No problem! Worked at a shop a while back and the owner did it on his kids 85. Asked him about it, went home to try it and that pipe looked like I had just got it from fmf
4/16/2018 6:56pm
Now for the big descion change. Can’t figure out what I want to do. My plan is to buy a 2018 yz250f this summer. Last fall I might have jumped the gun and bought a graphic set for a good deal on Black Friday. I’ve always wanted to have matching bikes wether it be a 125 & 250 or a 2 stroke with a 4 stroke. I’d hate to get rid of the 5th dragon but I really like the clean look of the Star Yamaha graphics. Here’s the set I bought for my “soon to be” 250f. Thoughts?

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
4/16/2018 7:07pm
Get another plastic kit for star graphics and tuck the 5th dragon stuff away until you want to put them back on. Problem solved Cool
4/17/2018 3:31am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Get another plastic kit for star graphics and tuck the 5th dragon stuff away until you want to put them back on. Problem solved Cool
Good idea Cool
Helder
4/17/2018 5:21am
Nice Moanro!! Bike looks good to!
sesker15
4/17/2018 1:30pm
Not sure I’m 100% happy with how my pipe turned out. I neglected it over the down time and it rusty. Wasn’t able to get it...
Not sure I’m 100% happy with how my pipe turned out. I neglected it over the down time and it rusty. Wasn’t able to get it clean with a scotch brite pad. Glass bead cabinet and blasted it. Used a torch to heat the welds. Didn’t take my time and rushed it. Might just run it anyways

Got some more done

Last picture is how the bike currently sits. Added some more body parts no real changes. Cylinder should be back any day now. Powerseal told me “roughly 4 weeks” since they are so busy. Took longer than I wanted to but oh well. I should of sent it out sooner. I’ll post more as I get it. Hopefully going to change my graphics up since these have been on the bike for a few years now and are starting to look beat
Use some Lime A way, next time. It will bring that pipe back to life. Lime A way and Red scotch brite.

4/17/2018 4:52pm
Not sure I’m 100% happy with how my pipe turned out. I neglected it over the down time and it rusty. Wasn’t able to get it...

Got some more done

sesker15 wrote:
Use some Lime A way, next time. It will bring that pipe back to life. Lime A way and Red scotch brite. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/04/17/256033/s1200_9B590449_139A_4FE2_A194_916DE9FBAF06.jpg[/img]
Use some Lime A way, next time. It will bring that pipe back to life. Lime A way and Red scotch brite.

Looks really good
4/18/2018 6:06pm
**Update**
Got the cylinder today (Wednesday). FedEx tried to drop it off yesterday but I was at work and it required a signature. So tried again and succes! It looks so awesome! Quick wash in warm soapy water and blown dry and we’re moving along. Wasn’t able to get much accomplished tonight tho. Sometimes other things get in the way. Oh well. Powervalve was installed and that’s as far as I could get.
Andy7
Fantasy
1312th
4/19/2018 8:46am
Very nice build!
samcampbell
4/19/2018 9:26am
Things are coming along nicely! Excited to see it all back together.

Post a reply to: YZ 250 rebuild - “finished”

The Latest