XR100r Restoration/Mini Motard build

DBUZZ452
4/23/2018 5:08pm Edited Date/Time 9/26/2022 8:08pm
My first ever Vital thread!

So the story starts that I've had this little '99 XR100 since I was a kid.
The poor thing has been through hell, but it was a great bike that I had a lot of fun on (even after I outgrew it).
It's been rotting away in my old man's shed for about the last 8 years, held together with grease and rust. I always had the intent of fixing it as a mini project on the side of everything else, but never got around to it.

Skip ahead a bit, I now live about 3hrs away and work in a bike shop. A few buddies have this idea that they want to buy pit bikes and ride them as supermotos/motards at the local go-kart track (there's a regular weekly meeting). Well now why would I buy a bike when I have this perfectly great (not running/ falling apart etc) little xr tucked away?
What a perfect opportunity!

.....and so it has begun.

|
Mixon848
4/14/2019 1:25pm
Whatever happened with this build?
haydos25
Fantasy
3302nd
4/14/2019 10:31pm
My experience with XR 100's says that the OP realised that bike still had a good 400 hours left on it as it is and didnt actually require a rebuild at all. So he hit it with the garden hose and has been motoing in his back yard ever since and hasn't had a chance to update us all.
DBUZZ452
9/26/2022 8:07pm
Mixon848 wrote:
Whatever happened with this build?
I actually completely forgot I start this thread haha, sorry mate.

Ended up pulling the motor, and as Haydos said it was still perfectly functional. Gave it a good clean, service and painted the cases/valve cover. Got the frame powdercoated, cleaned up the wheels and suspension (fork service).

Sourced and XR80 front wheel and slapped on some racing scooter tyres. Enjoyed it thoroughly as a mini supermoto for a while at the local gokart track. The engine was on its last legs after a good thrashing, so I decided to pull it apart properly and convert back to dirt. Unfortunately whilst moving houses, an old house mate decided to throw out a bunch of the parts, so now it is sitting quietly, half-assembled in the corner of a shed once more. Maybe I will start this thread up again once I get some time?

Currently working on my 02 RM250, 99 RMX250 and 2011 RMZ250, in between riding and work, there is a lot happening. But the mighty XR will see the light of day once more.
9/27/2022 5:09pm
Why is it so foggy with these pictures? You in a cave or something?Huh

Post a reply to: XR100r Restoration/Mini Motard build

The Latest