Works Ohlins Yamaha YZ360 doesn't meet minimum friend requirement for Farleigh

15tc150
9/8/2020 12:26pm
Rickyisms wrote:
As a 19 year old I definitely see this in most kids I went to school with and know now. I was the only one in...
As a 19 year old I definitely see this in most kids I went to school with and know now. I was the only one in my friend group who had to have a job to pay for his vehicle, gas, and other hobbies while my friends just waited for mom and dad to pay the bills.

It’s sad, I used to work my ass off after class just to be able to spend my money to go ride on the weekend. Those weekends meant so much to me because I was out being active, hanging out with my friends, and learning to appreciate dirt bikes that much more. I feel like even though I was never super fast or anything I still accomplished a lot for my age. I learned that when you do it yourself and make sacrifices to do what you enjoy it makes you cherish what you have done much more.

I like these quotes from an MXA article

“For most of the men racing in the Vet class there is always a moment when they think back to 30 years ago when they were 18-years-old and had scraped up enough money to buy a used RM125 two-stroke. They fondly remember the joy of working on it, jetting it, changing the fork oil and racing it with the reckless abandon that is normally only reserved for a night on the town with Charlie Sheen”

“Motocross racing is lost on the young. There is nothing sadder than some 12-year-old minicycle racer showing up at the races with a bevy of bikes, a 54-foot motor coach and a middle-aged dad sweating in the sun. For this picture to come into proper focus, Junior needs to be sitting in the motor home playing “Fortnite” for the tenth straight hour, while dad gets dressed for his moto. If Junior wants to race, he can get a paper route and pay for it himself.”
GVNR_moto wrote:
I’m 20, and have been working full time over the summer since I was 14, and working part time after school so I could pay my...
I’m 20, and have been working full time over the summer since I was 14, and working part time after school so I could pay my way through racing. I feel I’m one of the only kids at the track that doesn’t have mom and dad paying for everything. In some cases that would be so nice, but I feel I’ve learned to appreciate everything so much more working for my own stuff
bh wrote:
18 here bout the same situation as you guys except I can’t work during school, just too much for me. For as long as I’ve been...
18 here bout the same situation as you guys except I can’t work during school, just too much for me. For as long as I’ve been in the sport I’ve done 99.9 percent of my own bike work (the 0.1 percent is the occasional thing I have my dad weld for me lol). But it does really make you appreciate stuff and take better care of it.
That’s the thing about motocross, if it is t paying the bills for you, then it isn’t paying the bills, and when these young kids that have everything tossed at them with zero work, life’s gonna hit hard like a brick wall when the funding stops cuz they didn’t make it.... welcome to reality, it blows!

Never sponsored, never had things tossed my way, worked for my money, and spend it on my moto addiction, my daughter may get an upper hand that I didn’t when the time comes, but it will be me teaching her that it doesn’t come without hard work.

You two be thankful, cuz your hard work will pay off when the boots get hung up, and Sunday’s glory is long gone
9/10/2020 6:37am
Putting together the Unadilla specific set up too. Every iconic bike needs a Unadilla version.

Acerbis did a white GYTR handguards, and some guy on a Honda build bought them.

Someone tell him I said I'll buy the OEM Honda XR400R ones that belong on his build if he will trade me the ones that belong on my build.

Chance1216
9/10/2020 8:27am
TheTwostrokeTaliban, I don't mean to sound like a cheerleader but, it is impressive seeing a build done by someone with such great insight. If I may ask, how did you learn so much in regards to the specifics of your bike? It's mind boggling.
Rickyisms
9/10/2020 9:00am
Chance1216 wrote:
TheTwostrokeTaliban, I don't mean to sound like a cheerleader but, it is impressive seeing a build done by someone with such great insight. If I may...
TheTwostrokeTaliban, I don't mean to sound like a cheerleader but, it is impressive seeing a build done by someone with such great insight. If I may ask, how did you learn so much in regards to the specifics of your bike? It's mind boggling.
I'm interested too, as well as other insight I've seen you offer on other user's posts.

The Shop

9/10/2020 11:15am
Because I've broken everything and done it the wrong way. Process of elimination. Not the way to do it. Listen to engineers.
9/11/2020 4:50am
I think I'm going to get stupid on this and find some conventional Ohlins, shock is already Ohlins. Prob do an alloy tank too. I also believe that given the simplicity of the swingarm geometry and lack of brake hanger, I can use it as practice fabricating a jig, and subsequent swingarm.

With a really hot 144, it'll hang.

Practice bike. If you can roll on a drum brake 125, you can roll on anything. Plus, at 195lbs you can shoulder press it between motos and get a good pump for the corndog lady in concession. Hook it up, Ruth.

philG
9/12/2020 2:26pm Edited Date/Time 9/12/2020 3:16pm
I got a call from my daughter today, she is on holiday for a few days, and was 15 miles from Farleigh Castle, she felt it was wrong to be that close and not go there... Twin Shock Nationals were on,.

I consider it a parenting win.

Edit

I found out she swapped out the paddock pass sticker from 2019 when she had a new screen fitted in her car .
15tc150
9/12/2020 5:41pm
I think I'm going to get stupid on this and find some conventional Ohlins, shock is already Ohlins. Prob do an alloy tank too. I also...
I think I'm going to get stupid on this and find some conventional Ohlins, shock is already Ohlins. Prob do an alloy tank too. I also believe that given the simplicity of the swingarm geometry and lack of brake hanger, I can use it as practice fabricating a jig, and subsequent swingarm.

Practice bike. If you can roll on a drum brake 125, you can roll on anything. Plus, at 195lbs you can shoulder press it between motos and get a good pump for the corndog lady in concession. Hook it up, Ruth.

Bore and stroke, or just bore for the 144?
9/13/2020 2:52am
I think I'm going to get stupid on this and find some conventional Ohlins, shock is already Ohlins. Prob do an alloy tank too. I also...

15tc150 wrote:
Prob just a +2mm piston.

I'm gathering parts for my 2022 Farleigh bike, it'll depend on class structure. It's not this 125.
15tc150
9/13/2020 8:27am

15tc150 wrote:
Prob just a +2mm piston.

I'm gathering parts for my 2022 Farleigh bike, it'll depend on class structure. It's not this 125.
What bike are you hunting for?
9/14/2020 7:50am
15tc150 wrote:
The hunt is over. HRC L&M CR500R that won Namur 98 with Everts on it.

I need one more year on super Evo (90-96) to run it as a 97 CR500.

The real ones are done by Mickey Kessler. Dakota's dad. He did the L&M bike. Not that it's a difficult swap, just a talking piece that the chassis is the same batch. The L&M bike had a +1" swinger too.

That frame works way better with a 500 in it, that was the original intention. Then they mothballed the whole thing for the CRF. I'll bet those guys still work at Honda and they're still salty too. Apparently Honda has a little.underground corps of twostroke nuts who just nod and wink at one another until the take over happens in 2025.
15tc150
9/14/2020 8:08am
15tc150 wrote:
The hunt is over. HRC L&M CR500R that won Namur 98 with Everts on it. I need one more year on super Evo (90-96) to run...

The real ones are done by Mickey Kessler. Dakota's dad. He did the L&M bike. Not that it's a difficult swap, just a talking piece that the chassis is the same batch. The L&M bike had a +1" swinger too.

That frame works way better with a 500 in it, that was the original intention. Then they mothballed the whole thing for the CRF. I'll bet those guys still work at Honda and they're still salty too. Apparently Honda has a little.underground corps of twostroke nuts who just nod and wink at one another until the take over happens in 2025.
Well, for your last statement, those Honda 2 stroke nuts, may get what they have been wanting, I was reading about formula 1, and that their head tech procurement guy, is leaning heavily towards 2 stroke power plants for multiple reasons, for the 2025 rule change. IF that actually happens, that’s gotta be one harsh weggie for Mr.Honda to come to grips with, being Honda is a purely 4 stroke company. And let’s be honest here, if Honda was forced to make 2 stroke formula 1 engines, who’s the ONLY manufacturer with professional motorcycle teams, and a formula 1 team??? common Honda, you knew better, but you did it anyways, and then the titles simply went away in the wash.
15tc150
9/14/2020 8:10am
Next, we need pictures of this said 500 legend you speak of
9/14/2020 12:27pm
15tc150 wrote:
The hunt is over. HRC L&M CR500R that won Namur 98 with Everts on it. I need one more year on super Evo (90-96) to run...

15tc150 wrote:
Well, for your last statement, those Honda 2 stroke nuts, may get what they have been wanting, I was reading about formula 1, and that their...
Well, for your last statement, those Honda 2 stroke nuts, may get what they have been wanting, I was reading about formula 1, and that their head tech procurement guy, is leaning heavily towards 2 stroke power plants for multiple reasons, for the 2025 rule change. IF that actually happens, that’s gotta be one harsh weggie for Mr.Honda to come to grips with, being Honda is a purely 4 stroke company. And let’s be honest here, if Honda was forced to make 2 stroke formula 1 engines, who’s the ONLY manufacturer with professional motorcycle teams, and a formula 1 team??? common Honda, you knew better, but you did it anyways, and then the titles simply went away in the wash.
The F1 and MGP twostrokes are what I was referring to, it was coincidental.
15tc150
9/14/2020 1:20pm

15tc150 wrote:
Well, for your last statement, those Honda 2 stroke nuts, may get what they have been wanting, I was reading about formula 1, and that their...
The F1 and MGP twostrokes are what I was referring to, it was coincidental.
Highly, let’s hope this brings the tides of change in both aspects, it would be super cool to see street legal DFI 2 stroke crotch rockets available again
15tc150
9/14/2020 6:35pm
Okay, you have taunted me with threats of a 144, and now your talking about a 500, I have one lingering question to ask about your 360 build, and that is, what I.D. size of exhaust piping did you use for your silencer core and bend section?
9/15/2020 12:46pm
15tc150 wrote:
Okay, you have taunted me with threats of a 144, and now your talking about a 500, I have one lingering question to ask about your...
Okay, you have taunted me with threats of a 144, and now your talking about a 500, I have one lingering question to ask about your 360 build, and that is, what I.D. size of exhaust piping did you use for your silencer core and bend section?
I need to measure it, it's midway between standard 250 between 500 stingers. It looks stepped too. Rich Daly used a computer sim for it.

He did the pipe on Sharkey McFarlands MXdN YZ360. I think that one aussie guy has that bike. Last name is Hollywood, if anyone knows him. Has to be MacFarlanes MXdN bike from I believe 99, 500 class.
15tc150
9/15/2020 1:20pm
15tc150 wrote:
Okay, you have taunted me with threats of a 144, and now your talking about a 500, I have one lingering question to ask about your...
I need to measure it, it's midway between standard 250 between 500 stingers. It looks stepped too. Rich Daly used a computer sim for it. He...
I need to measure it, it's midway between standard 250 between 500 stingers. It looks stepped too. Rich Daly used a computer sim for it.

He did the pipe on Sharkey McFarlands MXdN YZ360. I think that one aussie guy has that bike. Last name is Hollywood, if anyone knows him. Has to be MacFarlanes MXdN bike from I believe 99, 500 class.
That one thing has me Curious, I’ve done back to back testing with two ktm smallbores I had at the same time, and different carb setups in each bike, a 38 and 36 pen a/s and got some interesting results between the two of them with swapping between the fmf shorty, and my modded pc 304
9/16/2020 4:09am
This took A YEAR to get. I feel like I've been hooking and jabbing in the trenches for some of these parts. The pipe took 10 months, the suspension took 4 months, and the ignition took a year.

I don't ever want to hear a single person in this service industry say it's too hard to make money. They don't want money. They want to do cookie cutter 5 angle valve jobs on roached 250Fs where the Serdi does all the work.

A true go-getter with a 4th axis Haas CNC could mop this industry up. Add a 3D printer with rapid prototyping capability and you'd really, really rain hard and wash this market clean.

Then again, the idiots would just buy Tusk with their left hand while talking shit about China and globalism with their right.

Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
9/16/2020 6:39am
GVNR_moto wrote:
Just spent the last few hours trying to soak up as much knowledge as my young brain can take in. I appreciate these detailed threads so...
Just spent the last few hours trying to soak up as much knowledge as my young brain can take in. I appreciate these detailed threads so much, I love learning as much as I can. Going to be building a matching 91’ yz125 and 250 this winter, so I like finding things I can do to my builds to keep away from the normal “paint and graphics” builds. The 125 already has a full Noleen motor, so I’ll have to figure out some other ways of getting some more power out of it
Doing anything to the motor other than freshening it will throw off port timing and squish. Focus on electronics and carburetion. That's where most of the...
Doing anything to the motor other than freshening it will throw off port timing and squish. Focus on electronics and carburetion. That's where most of the power is anyway.

When MotoGP was 500 twostrokes, on a team like HRC, Rossi and Criville would have identical motor packages, similar ignition packages, and different jetting. On the same bike, on the same day, at the same track.

Get really good at understanding fuel circuitry, where they overlap, when you're "robbing Peter to pay Paul" (that'll make sense later on in your jetting life)

Then, here's the important part. When you get real good at this skill, hold it close. Because there is zero, zero reward
In making ungrateful idiots bikes runs better when the adjustment, like jetting is dynamically dependent on so many variables.

You're younger, so I'll bet you have peers your age who have this bad habit I'm starting to notice among people in this hobby. When they see something that is obviously modified, they are so disconnected from doing ANYTHING themselves, that they don't even ask how YOU did it...they ask WHO did it, as if to automatically insinuate you can't do it. Then, after about 5 or 6 "actually, I did" they think you're joking. I've never seen anything like this, socially, where a demographic swims in its own puddle of uselessness for so long, it just 100% depends on a demographic 25 years older to generate everything for them, except anime and amateur porn.

If you're young and you're getting ready to build those, go find 5 peers your age who don't have bikes, and recruit those fuckers as your crew, get em over in your garage and helping you. Take em to the track with you. Avoid the ones who have single moms, pale skin, who smell like vape juice. they're just going to buy Subarus, become forum moderators, and get poop on condoms eventually, anyway. They're lost.

Rickyisms wrote:
As a 19 year old I definitely see this in most kids I went to school with and know now. I was the only one in...
As a 19 year old I definitely see this in most kids I went to school with and know now. I was the only one in my friend group who had to have a job to pay for his vehicle, gas, and other hobbies while my friends just waited for mom and dad to pay the bills.

It’s sad, I used to work my ass off after class just to be able to spend my money to go ride on the weekend. Those weekends meant so much to me because I was out being active, hanging out with my friends, and learning to appreciate dirt bikes that much more. I feel like even though I was never super fast or anything I still accomplished a lot for my age. I learned that when you do it yourself and make sacrifices to do what you enjoy it makes you cherish what you have done much more.

I like these quotes from an MXA article

“For most of the men racing in the Vet class there is always a moment when they think back to 30 years ago when they were 18-years-old and had scraped up enough money to buy a used RM125 two-stroke. They fondly remember the joy of working on it, jetting it, changing the fork oil and racing it with the reckless abandon that is normally only reserved for a night on the town with Charlie Sheen”

“Motocross racing is lost on the young. There is nothing sadder than some 12-year-old minicycle racer showing up at the races with a bevy of bikes, a 54-foot motor coach and a middle-aged dad sweating in the sun. For this picture to come into proper focus, Junior needs to be sitting in the motor home playing “Fortnite” for the tenth straight hour, while dad gets dressed for his moto. If Junior wants to race, he can get a paper route and pay for it himself.”
I feel ya, bought my own bike when I was 16, been all on my own ever since.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
9/16/2020 7:05am
Lots of excellent tricks in here. Love the carbon air boot ring and the plug wire. That Kevlar disc guard is amazing.
I see you have heat tape on the airbox, do you have plans for shielding the carb too? This is meant for a 250F but just for idea.

MaxPower
9/16/2020 7:28am
I didn't know Mickey K built an L+M 500 frame. I know him from suspension work and him racing around here forever . He isn't a person that talks about his achievements much.
I was thinking, if the Jobe bike had a 490 bottom end, were they able to run a power valve?
JBlain619
9/16/2020 8:14am
This took A YEAR to get. I feel like I've been hooking and jabbing in the trenches for some of these parts. The pipe took 10...
This took A YEAR to get. I feel like I've been hooking and jabbing in the trenches for some of these parts. The pipe took 10 months, the suspension took 4 months, and the ignition took a year.

I don't ever want to hear a single person in this service industry say it's too hard to make money. They don't want money. They want to do cookie cutter 5 angle valve jobs on roached 250Fs where the Serdi does all the work.

A true go-getter with a 4th axis Haas CNC could mop this industry up. Add a 3D printer with rapid prototyping capability and you'd really, really rain hard and wash this market clean.

Then again, the idiots would just buy Tusk with their left hand while talking shit about China and globalism with their right.

A lesson in knowing exactly what you want, doing the heavy lift with research, being persistent and patient all without nickel and diming. Kudos TST! THIS is how a Works bike is built! Can't wait to hear that bad mofo going up Big Gulp while standing at the old finish line!
9/16/2020 10:21am
JBlain619 wrote:
A lesson in knowing exactly what you want, doing the heavy lift with research, being persistent and patient all without nickel and diming. Kudos TST! THIS...
A lesson in knowing exactly what you want, doing the heavy lift with research, being persistent and patient all without nickel and diming. Kudos TST! THIS is how a Works bike is built! Can't wait to hear that bad mofo going up Big Gulp while standing at the old finish line!
It's going to billow and shreak in that Budds amphitheater bowl so violently that Beasley might wake up and put clothes on. Nah, actually, if you've been around the guys really cleaned up. Dropped weight, cut his hair, and the tracks better than ever.

Bikes sound best at Budds.

To the young fella that asked about shielding the carb: I have a special coating that reflects heat and repels air fuel mixture, breaks the surface tension of the inside of the carb. So, yeah, just coating the whole carb. It'll be this weird copperish sort of color. Just have to flowbench it first. Might rifle bore it, just whatever flows best. No guess work, no bullshit, just data.
Rickyisms
9/16/2020 10:50am
Bad ass. Love the science behind all this stuff.
cdoggy81
9/16/2020 6:36pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2020 7:42pm
For the price you got it for it was good deal so why not right 😎 You made the right call
Bearuno
9/16/2020 9:51pm
MaxPower wrote:
I didn't know Mickey K built an L+M 500 frame. I know him from suspension work and him racing around here forever . He isn't a...
I didn't know Mickey K built an L+M 500 frame. I know him from suspension work and him racing around here forever . He isn't a person that talks about his achievements much.
I was thinking, if the Jobe bike had a 490 bottom end, were they able to run a power valve?
As far as I know, Jobe ran the JPX kit. I never saw him on a 360, but it's easily possible I missed it .

The JPX kits seemed to have a variety of Water Pump set ups. Never saw a Power Valve on them. Only the Works Air Cooled Cylinder, and the Water Cooled Works engine.

The the RH engine picture you can see a Mechanical pump set up - I assume by 'Hostettler' as machined / cast into the clutch cover? ( I do note also that the Water Outlet is in an entirely different position than the head in the ad / for sale picture, and wonder if it were a Sidecar set up engine) :

The 97 CR250 chassis / 500 engine fitment was an easy job. Lift or cut the plate cross brace on the cradle / down tubes and - though I might not remember accurately , as it's now over 23 / 24 years since I did them - the motor mounts , at least one pair of them, were the same . I did 5 of them right after the 250s hit the show rooms, another the next year. Got to the point I could do a conversion in a couple of hours, it was such a simple job compared to later conversions. Of those 6, 5 went back to the steel frame, most of them pretty quickly. That might upset some, but it's what blokes did, that had really, really wanted their 'AF' to be the something special. They weren't. It took until the Gen 3 frames to have the potential for it to be a genuinely better bike than a well set up steel frame.

Lets see how this Covid thing goes, I might be at next years VMXDN, if it's ( and various other races / events etc are back on) on. There's so much mechanical eye candy there to look at, a bike has to be something very, very special to stand out from the horde of trickness you can encounter every few feet you walk in the Pits. .

Post a reply to: Works Ohlins Yamaha YZ360 doesn't meet minimum friend requirement for Farleigh

The Latest