Works Ohlins Yamaha YZ360 doesn't meet minimum friend requirement for Farleigh

9/2/2020 5:01pm Edited Date/Time 9/2/2020 5:01pm
I did some digging. I think this might be equivalent. That Bitron stuff is ptfe free and temp activated?

I'm assuming it's soft ceramics. This stuff is soft ceramic, and has to come up to operating temp to stick. See what you can find, this stuff is a black hole. I don't know if I can even get it stateside. Liquid/flammable

9/2/2020 5:53pm
Using the motorsports twist method for my harness. Took a course, actually.

CDI goes in airbox or abouts, haven't leveled exactly where.

15tc150
9/2/2020 6:00pm
BEAUTIFUL choice in heat shrink! Hahahahaha top notch stuff, and that looks super clean status
15tc150
9/2/2020 6:02pm
Errbody take note on that shit, the lettering is perfect, clean, and uniform, nothings burnt or discoloured.

You want a job?? I need cable fitters!

The Shop

CSAR FE
9/2/2020 6:03pm Edited Date/Time 9/2/2020 6:04pm
If you have the tools or access to them, Cannon plug connections would be pretty cool. I don't thing I've seen them on a dirt bike before. Maybe in Rally bikes? I'm sure Deutsch connections would probably be more appropriate, and definitely cheaper/smaller footprint.

Are you using Tefzel wire or something else?
9/2/2020 6:39pm
15tc150 wrote:
Errbody take note on that shit, the lettering is perfect, clean, and uniform, nothings burnt or discoloured.

You want a job?? I need cable fitters!
That ain't mine, just as clean(so far), smaller and using clear, adhesive lined raychem with labeled terminals. TPS, PowerJet, Killswitch, Stator, Coil, Map/Launch, Deutsch 6pin connector for the stator, Japanese automotive ones for the 1-3 pin connectors. Using single pin connector in place of barrel connector. That image is from the course I took to bust the rust off. My depinning tool.sucks so I stopped to order a new one before I booger up a connector with this shit tool.

I used to do this in the USMC, then again in Japan we used to swap motors a lot and interface chassis and engine harness. This isn't too bad, really. 12 wires.

To get this bike to run with a powerjet and TPS, it's a 88-98 crank, a 99 flywheel, a 02 stator. But the keyway location changed from 98-99, so to compensate, i reclocked the stator itself which lined up in the orifice, in the case, just needed another couple slots drilled to torque it down and give me a little room to play with. The other method would be mounting the stator in the OEM location, removing the keyway and using compound on the flywheel to torque it to the crank with no keyway, using a degree wheel & TDC. I thought it better to redrill the stator and spin it because it's easier to work on once it's drilled, and repeatability and reliability are both higher. Pre powerjet bikes are a 5 wire stator. Then they got the 6th to pull 12V off the stator to power the powerjet solenoid (believe it's rectified down to 3-4V by the black box, have to look at a pin out)

With the TPS, I can set up a threshold type traction control. If, say TPS value is at 50% and RPMs increase without a TPS value increase, it translates that as wheelspin, and adjusts the timing. In theory. In actuality, prob only work on starts as a "launch mode". I can't see it working quickly enough to keep up with TPS values that probably jump all over the place. I'll figure it out. There are also a lot of powerjet options. Will be fun to Dyno then run straight to a track and bounce that off now it actually rides. I don't have many expectations, because:
1. Using a few experimental parts, ain't exactly street legal, keep it on the DL.
3. It's a weird oversquare twostroke at 82mm bore X 68mm stroke, but I don't think it's going to want to rev, because of a small crankcase volume. If I had to guess, I think this bike will make about 34ftlbs of tq before 5000 RPMs but it's hard to say with the bore/stroke. That's a tug in the pants that will make a 450 feel like a TTR230 on the front of the curve.
9/2/2020 11:48pm
I did some digging. I think this might be equivalent. That Bitron stuff is ptfe free and temp activated? I'm assuming it's soft ceramics. This stuff...
I did some digging. I think this might be equivalent. That Bitron stuff is ptfe free and temp activated?

I'm assuming it's soft ceramics. This stuff is soft ceramic, and has to come up to operating temp to stick. See what you can find, this stuff is a black hole. I don't know if I can even get it stateside. Liquid/flammable

This product is from a dutch company it is an additive to youre fuel. You are not supose to run it as 2 stroke oil and the product is not suited for a wet clutch engine.
philG
9/3/2020 1:08am
What oil ratio... (runs and hides)..

My dad had a friend back in the day who made model hydroplanes.. had the fastest one in the UK for a fair while, and he also rode Bultaco road racers, needless to say a bottle of MC1 BelRay lasted twice as long as everyone elses.
9/3/2020 2:32am
I did some digging. I think this might be equivalent. That Bitron stuff is ptfe free and temp activated? I'm assuming it's soft ceramics. This stuff...

This product is from a dutch company it is an additive to youre fuel. You are not supose to run it as 2 stroke oil and...
This product is from a dutch company it is an additive to youre fuel. You are not supose to run it as 2 stroke oil and the product is not suited for a wet clutch engine.
If you can explain to me, logically, how a fuel additive effects your clutch plates, I'll give you this bike when I'm finished.

Or, do you think, perhaps, that with this product is so poorly marketed and lost in translation, that their 2T and 4T additive's descriptions got mixed up on the internet, then copy and pasted on vendor sites incorrectly too?

Answer wisely, there's a free YZ360 in it for you.
9/3/2020 2:51am
philG wrote:
What oil ratio... (runs and hides).. My dad had a friend back in the day who made model hydroplanes.. had the fastest one in the UK...
What oil ratio... (runs and hides)..

My dad had a friend back in the day who made model hydroplanes.. had the fastest one in the UK for a fair while, and he also rode Bultaco road racers, needless to say a bottle of MC1 BelRay lasted twice as long as everyone elses.
Ratio is a fun one.

"What's your manual say?".

"60:1, but that's way too lean, my daddy always ran 32:1 so that's what I run."

"The oil filler cap on your truck says 5W20 on it, why don't you put 20W50 in it?"

"Well, because it ain't spec'd for 20W50! Shits too thick!"

*Waits 5 seconds to see if dots connect....they don't.... puts on sunglasses*

"Hey...let.me guess, you're also chasing jetting, probably on a Mikuni TMX"

"How'd you know! I can't get that thing to jet right!!!"

*Waits another 5 seconds to see if dots connect this time.....they don't....cracks beer*

9/3/2020 4:20am Edited Date/Time 9/3/2020 4:22am
When you build a bike that's nothing but one problem bolted to another problem, you have to bring back 70s colloquialisms.

9/3/2020 6:14am

This product is from a dutch company it is an additive to youre fuel. You are not supose to run it as 2 stroke oil and...
If you can explain to me, logically, how a fuel additive effects your clutch plates, I'll give you this bike when I'm finished. Or, do you...
If you can explain to me, logically, how a fuel additive effects your clutch plates, I'll give you this bike when I'm finished.

Or, do you think, perhaps, that with this product is so poorly marketed and lost in translation, that their 2T and 4T additive's descriptions got mixed up on the internet, then copy and pasted on vendor sites incorrectly too?

Answer wisely, there's a free YZ360 in it for you.
Lol
15tc150
9/3/2020 6:51am
When you build a bike that's nothing but one problem bolted to another problem, you have to bring back 70s colloquialisms. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/09/03/447627/s1200_IMG_20200820_180319_215.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/09/03/447628/s1200_Screenshot_20200903_071800_Chrome.jpg[/img]
When you build a bike that's nothing but one problem bolted to another problem, you have to bring back 70s colloquialisms.

When I was a welder for the pipe fitters union, the rest of the guys would wear these shirts that say “dilligaf” I didn’t know what it Meant, so I asked. And what came next was quite possibly the dumbest look on my face I think possible.

Does it look like I give a fuck..... ........

I immediately after my dismay of what he said, responded with

“Well, you have your hard hat on, your safety glasses, steel toes, and coveralls on, your start card and job hazard assessment are both filled out, and your here for the tool box meeting...... sorry bud, but it really looks like you do give a fuck!”
15tc150
9/3/2020 7:50am
I’m willing to bet he didn’t tick the box labeled “engage brain before operation”
9/3/2020 8:21am
I did not think before saying that. Sad

I would like to have a way to explain how it works because then i get a bike.Wink

What youre saying about copy pasting i think is true but it says it on the product page from the manufacturer which is from the Netherlands.

I would love to have an oldtimer bike and built it. But i only have the funds for 1 bike and will ride my yz125 untill it is broken.

I would like to come out to vmxdn and see this amazing bike.
9/3/2020 8:52am
2oz added to 12oz premix is 52:1 in 5 US Gal, not counting the 2oz of soft ceramics.

With that being said, all my surfaces are coated, so I'm prob not going to use any additives. There's no metal for them to bond to that isn't already covered in polymer, and I don't know how this stuff will react.

Probably be fine. But I'll bet everyone who's ever mixed orange coolant and green coolant thought it would be fine too...
9/3/2020 12:05pm
I did not think before saying that. :( I would like to have a way to explain how it works because then i get a bike.;)...
I did not think before saying that. Sad

I would like to have a way to explain how it works because then i get a bike.Wink

What youre saying about copy pasting i think is true but it says it on the product page from the manufacturer which is from the Netherlands.

I would love to have an oldtimer bike and built it. But i only have the funds for 1 bike and will ride my yz125 untill it is broken.

I would like to come out to vmxdn and see this amazing bike.
If you show in Farleigh I'll let you wheelie it across the parking lot
onefiveight
9/3/2020 1:05pm
I can always spot a Marine, even on a message board. Amazing build.
9/3/2020 2:30pm
About time Willy, shit. Things are expensive. Oh, and good thing I got 1/2 way into a harness so my CDI could come with a harness.

What's a good Chromebook type little laptop that I can get without contributing to Google, Apple, or China? (Tough, I know) Tablet might be ok, but I hate how they use a mobile OS.

Might just get the new Samsung Note20 as my next phone, so I can just tune the bike with that. Just not sure how Tunebox will work on these shitty mobile OS.

9/3/2020 2:31pm
I can always spot a Marine, even on a message board. Amazing build.
Had to be the part where I mentioned making tally marks for known fuck ups. Or the "green monster" with the part numbers in it hahaha
erik_94COBRA
9/3/2020 4:28pm
Interesting build. I remember reading about the 360 kits long ago. Seemed badass.

As an idea about your upcoming water pump/cooling shitshow: there is quite an aftermarket for Banshees. A quick google search shows lots of billet/custom water pump offerings. One of those vendors might actually build you one to your needed spec. If nothing else, might be a useful source of an impeller design to reverse engineer. Lots of these banshees put out big HP numbers.
bh
9/3/2020 6:49pm
Hey about relocating the radiator outlets. I took a look at a the icw radiators ig and it looks like he moves his outlets when he extends the tanks. Some of his work might be worth taking a look at. Great build btw! Best one since that cr250 blackdiamond built.
9/3/2020 7:01pm
I got one of the banshee industry inline heatsinks. Supposed to make a difference. I could even butt weld it to the upper left outlet that points down and toward the head. I should be alright. I'm not even going to drop the tank unless I boil it. Prob run EI Dave's stuff. I wonder if it agrees with distilled water.
9/3/2020 8:52pm
Silver. These are supposedly unbeatable. I'll Dyno it against a Redbox ngk. You can gap em, too, they're not like iridium with the little tittie on the end of the ground strap that comes off on your keychain coin gapper. Multiple electrode plugs are fake news if you take highschool level physics See: shortest path to ground.

Forgot I didn't have a Kickstarter ring on the clutch basket. Had to eBay one, it's a disco'd part. It's getting Polydyn coated. Sending a second box over there with the rest of the clutch. The Barnett uses the stainless finger covers, and I believe those, plus the slick polymer will make the clutch absolute butter. The question is, factoring that my transmission and primary drive is all coated; my transmission fluid decision comes down to clutch feel, and you could say film strength. I'm no Ronnie Tichenor but I can feel the difference between Belray Gearsaver and 30wt on my left big toe. You can feel the gears "clack" more with the thinner oil. It almost feels like the transmission spits the shifter back at you. Belray had this cushion to the engagement that just absorbs the shift more positively. It's not a Princess and the Pea situation, I can't be the only one. Also depends where you use the cast aluminum shifter or the IMS steel, I swear I don't ride in flip flops im just picky. Prob run Belray for that alone but I've never run this coating so who knows how it'll feel, but I'll feel it.

I also scored a real clean inner/outer clutch and water pump combo, and the dork left the whole powervalve mechanism and linkage in there. It's different from the 88-89 linkage that I must use due to deck height. The rest of the mechanism is going to Polydyn in shipment 2. I'm basically hoarding 88-91 cases and 92+ clutches and cranks. This cover I'm going to strip and polish inner and outer. I appreciate the compliments but when the dust settles I just want to be remembered as the bastard who pulled off the most polished stuff with out looking like a white trash dune goon

Shipment 3 will be the carb for a fuel atomization specific coating. Carl is quick. But Tom Morgan has the carb on the flow bench. Not sure if it will get bored, it's on the bench from Bell to piston. Whatever flows best. Sortve after a number but much moreso after a curve.

Dirtbike plug wire is 7mm, armed with that knowledge, go forth and buy a large length of quality wire and replace what comes on it. I've had this length of NGK I've been cutting from for awhile.

9/3/2020 9:02pm
This chain is somewhat new to the Moto segment I believe, snagged one up. Looked like it belonged on this. Drilled, 3D machined links. Before anyone says it, it's 1500+psi stronger than anything else on the market in 520 too. Somehow. No idea of the tech behind it, just the mfgr claims. Initial gear will be 15-50. Nice and big, low drag, off the swingarm.

philG
9/4/2020 12:01am
On our CR500 build, we ran a CRF450 slipper clutch ( to save the trans on the tarmac downshifts) but it was real grabby of the line. We used to get pulled for jump starts if we moved even a little bit, and with Motorex gear oil it used to pop off the start device if you put her in gear with the front brake on.. then be a bitch to get off the line.. we switched to ATF , and it cured everything, in an instant. We ran a Magura hydraulic clutch , and never had an issue with slip at all.
cdoggy81
9/4/2020 6:25am Edited Date/Time 9/4/2020 6:38am
That EK MX3D is a bad ass top quality chain & I am running the same one on my build. Nothing looks as good, nothing. Stupid expensive but once you cross a certain point what the hell right 😎

Do let us know how those Brisk plugs work out compared to the NGK red box BR8EG. Not sure how much they cost but if equal in quality & then cheaper than the NGK I would try them. However as much as we all know about plugs I think we get this rabbit hole of a subject & know they won’t light the world on fire (pun intended LoL) 👍🏻

Post a reply to: Works Ohlins Yamaha YZ360 doesn't meet minimum friend requirement for Farleigh

The Latest