Works Ohlins Yamaha YZ360 doesn't meet minimum friend requirement for Farleigh

8/28/2020 3:04pm
Cool build and I'm digg'n all this, but dude...... those sure look like Chy-nah radiators.
8/28/2020 4:18pm
Cool build and I'm digg'n all this, but dude...... those sure look like Chy-nah radiators.
They are. That's the "more on that later". I'm deciding what I want to do there. Because they work, these are the one thing they seem to get right, but I am prob going to snag Mylers. Sortve place holders like the OEM pegs. Can't decide what pegs I want
nch209
8/28/2020 4:36pm
^ I doubt the rads or pegs will last long. I can see some raptors being whiddled away to some stealth ultra light trickness!
8/28/2020 4:59pm
They are. That's the "more on that later". I'm deciding what I want to do there. Because they work, these are the one thing they seem...
They are. That's the "more on that later". I'm deciding what I want to do there. Because they work, these are the one thing they seem to get right, but I am prob going to snag Mylers. Sortve place holders like the OEM pegs. Can't decide what pegs I want
I'm pretty sure Mylers are some modified Chy-nah radiators.

Don't get me wrong, for the price and totally hand welded you can't beat them Chy-nah radiators.

Just had to jerk your chain on that one. Sorry.

The Shop

8/29/2020 9:29am Edited Date/Time 8/29/2020 10:14am
I always wanted a fresh set of DID shoulderless wheels. Tracked a set down across the globe.

Stainless Excel spokes, and alloy spline drive nips. Rim builders will advise against these because they're tedious compared to traditional nips. I will say though in their defense, that if all I did was build wheels all day, I can't say I'd feel differently than they do. They also hardly stock them, and have tons of steel square nips. I get it.

Wheels: Front hub is a new 2020 (new OEM hubs are only like 200 bucks) Rear hub is the lightest use 97 I could find. Still had the little ink stamp visible. Cool, some people don't ruin their shit with Simple Green. I'd rather people just didn't wash it at all, and left it under a protective film of dirt than use Simple Green.

I had had them hard anodized Type 3 in Baltimore. Peak riots. That's another story for another time that involves an angry, ex Russian mail-order bride (USSR era) who runs an anodizing plant who needed a quick attitude adjustment nothing major, but damn... Might just price tanks and power supply

Around the time I started lacing these things in the living room (no dream killers or feed bags on premises) is when the squirrels started coming to worship my dog like a backyard deity.

You'll notice that I have one of those piece of shit outsourced Chinese stands turns out, if you throw away the rubber top, replace it with a nice piece of hardwood, slather it in Tung oil, then weld 4 high quality casters to it....it still sucks, but a lot less.

8/29/2020 10:05am
nch209 wrote:
All of this in Waldorf??? Most detailed builds like these seem to come from across the pond. Almost too cool to be so close to DC...
All of this in Waldorf??? Most detailed builds like these seem to come from across the pond. Almost too cool to be so close to DC! This much cool just can’t be allowed!
Speaking of across the pond, check the thread title change and start connecting dots
8/30/2020 2:17am
The Yamaha won't be what I get hurt on.

Going to do a Piranha 140 and build a small trailer for it, with a 35G water tank so I can cruise over to the spicket.

I'm using the water tank as an excuse to tell myself that "it definitely needs 25hp and beadlocker wheels"

8/30/2020 4:11am Edited Date/Time 8/30/2020 4:14am
I like these clocking brake lines. Venhill UK. Ti banjo.

Using one of these kill clamp jobbies, not a weight weenie, didn't weight things on a little drug scale but the goal was to stay at 214 dry, with that big cylinder, crank, piston, pipe, 120 rear tire, HPSD, skid plate. I picked up quite a bit by using a 99 subframe, lots of titanium hardware, bicycle inner tubes. I'll weigh the dry bike.

When you start polishing brake pad backs, shits gotten weird. Looks good though, took 2 minutes on a wheel. Was prob bored waiting on parts.

Mocking up the carrier and caliper. I can use the newer rear (09-13 4 stroke) or the the older rear (~88-97) with a brake line flip. I chose the older because they used a trick larger thermal polymer piston and I was able to get that piston and all the heat shielding new. If it sucks I have back up.

Anodized parts

Fork length from 97 to 19 grew 3mm. The critical measurement is from the bottom of the lower clamp to the center of the axle. So +5mm height becomes +8mm. The clamps are 2013. The keystone was a combo of bearings/cups, but it all lines up on the clamping surfaces so it's good. Lower clamp has the integrated M7 HPSD mount

NOS Tecnosel from Rinaldi I think. Took forever to get the packaging creases out.

CSAR FE
8/30/2020 8:03am
I don’t know what I love more: the bar pad, or the rest of the bike... 🤔
15tc150
8/30/2020 8:53am
Here I was thinking my posts were long winded!!!

Mando, keep up the amazing work, this is truly a treat to see come to life, as most bike builds are all about the graphics kit I put on my stock ride, “HOW SICK RIGHT?? It’s so sweet, I put graphics on it, makes it look faster cuz I need any edge on the track to give the impression I know what I’m doing.” If it looks fast standing still, itle probably stand still on the track. Your attention to detail, and period specific would even make the Japanese cult car crowd happier than a punk in a bosozuko styled car, and that you are resurrecting a timeless piece of two stroke history, I feel for those who feel this is just beyond their comprehension as to why you would pursue such a feat. The tallentless May wonder why, but those of us who actually build our own bikes, port them to our best extent, and ride what we have built, will appreciate this to no end!

To those who watch wrench rabbit ken Clark vids, please just don’t even bother, this isn’t in your realm, world, galaxy, or even dimension, the simple fact, those guys put vids out about 2 strokes is kinda lame, riding the two stroke tax wave to get views and thumbs is really, well, Amateur, no skill went into any of the builds other than suspension, the engine builds are usually stock, and are simply just a refreshed stocker (WHEEEEEEEEE SOO FAST!) and it’s the same old rigamarole, sweet graphics, a bunch of money spent in the wrong places, and paying a pro to be in your vid to get credit.

flat our amazing build, the quality and choice in parts is undeniably good, and your attention to detail is really a welcomed attribute in this day in age. If 4 strokes have shown the world of motocross anything, it’s that a bike is just a disposable unit, meant to be thrashed and tossed and on to the next latest and greatest, and this years tiny little changes that make, a bit difference, to choose a head honcho year after year for the masses to swoon over.

Simply put, “advanced” 4 strokes are still archaic in design when compared to 2 strokes, which are a marvel of technology, and the simple fact they run makes them more complex than any cam profile or throttle body Injected 4 strokes (common, my 88 Chevy 1 ton had throttle body injection ffs, HOW ADVANCED IS THAT?!?!?!?)

Only one thing, for future welding techniques, if your using mig, make it sound like fast popping pop corn or Tv static, if your welds aren’t flat, and the sound isn’t violent, your wire feed speed is too low, and your pool is cooling too quickly due to the break in current as the wire burns too quickly to maintain proper heat. That’s not even criticism, just a tip, from a guy who hung up his welding mask, and turned to a career of high voltage cable fitting

You have nothing but support from this guy, and the guys here who I have also found to be very nice individuals to talk to, your among your own kind, and judging from what I have recently posted, vs the dipshits previously that I have gotten into it with, and still will, them screenlurks are out there.

We won’t knock you one bit, and for sure, those of us who are intently reading, even if not posting, support your build 100%.

FUKKEN EH!!!
Chance1216
8/30/2020 9:57am
It’s a breath of fresh air when a build such as this goes into details that many, myself included had no idea about. I appreciate a good two stroke build, but this is above and beyond.
8/30/2020 11:16am Edited Date/Time 8/30/2020 2:03pm
Is anyone a Vortex vendor? I need a CDI
ecmx274 wrote:
Are you having issues getting the hpi?
I've sent Willy 9 emails over the course of 4 months. Fuck that guy. Just trying to buy a shelf product.

I'm not going to beg someone to take my money. I'll just use another product, because at the end of the day the "product" is my ignition curve. Meaning, if it's a Vortex telling my bike where to add/retard timing or an HPI, doesn't really matter.

"The Moto industry is drying up." Ha! The only thing drying up is the desire to deal with these people.

Either way it'll be low energy Bluetooth and wirelessly tuned. But carbureted. It's business and it's casual.
8/30/2020 11:52am
Rear rotor was a pain. These were 220mm instead of the customary 240 they are now. The only company making them is Brembo, So I had to order a rotor from Italy.

Cool thing is, if I feel like it, and I probably will, I'm just going to cut the brake hanger tab off the swingarm, drop it 10mm, use the axle and carrier as the jig. I have that caliper, carrier, and rotor sitting here. Im just going to see how this works first. If it's good, no need to cut shit up. Lots of different configurations/options. I adhered to the strategy of buying everything and sorting it out later.

So much so, there is an 05+ version of this bike behind the wall with a JGR/Works Yamaha swingarm that only needs a gas tank and a shock. This bike is 1.9 bikes.

There will be a V1.0, 1.1, and 2.0. 2.0 is what's going to the UK. That will be the one with my own CNC crank and rod on a forged piston in this 97 chassis. This is the "Super Evo" version. If I want a 2020 I've got one of those too i can assemble. I moved the tabs for my cases, media blasted it, then shelved it.

8/30/2020 12:39pm
I got this nice 24x60" board, sanded it to about 600grit, rounded the front edge. Stained it with Danish oil over the course of about 3 days. I'm happy with how it came out.

cdoggy81
8/30/2020 1:04pm
“ not a weight weenie, didn't weight things on a little drug scale but the goal was to stay at 214 dry”

Hey, I resemble that remark LoL 😂
If you can get down to that weight it would be awesome. You doing all the big stuff in Ti? Axles, pivot bolts, motor & subframe? Basically anything 8mm & up?
8/30/2020 1:25pm
cdoggy81 wrote:
“ not a weight weenie, didn't weight things on a little drug scale but the goal was to stay at 214 dry” Hey, I resemble that...
“ not a weight weenie, didn't weight things on a little drug scale but the goal was to stay at 214 dry”

Hey, I resemble that remark LoL 😂
If you can get down to that weight it would be awesome. You doing all the big stuff in Ti? Axles, pivot bolts, motor & subframe? Basically anything 8mm & up?
Everything but linkage and axles is Ti. I was talked out of it by the Mettec guy. Said it's just not a good metal for those positions because of drivetrain shock. I think there's also an article on this website somewhere about it.

Explains why when someone builds a fresh bike with new everything, if you use old axles and pivots, it feels clappy still because the micro fractures in the old stock stuff distort it just enough.

So I did what I felt, armed with that information was best: new OEM hardware, still in the bag, straight to Polydyn for coating. I'd run a front axle though. I think Wobblestiltskin has one
cdoggy81
8/30/2020 2:59pm
You must have talked to Dirk on a good day then Smile I tried forever to get him to remake me some engine studs, head studs & axles that was out of stock to no avail. Oh well. That’s good you still replaced them with OEM.

Nice airbox too BTW 😎 Who made the CF ring for it?

“ there is an 05+ version of this bike behind the wall with a JGR/Works Yamaha swingarm that only needs a gas tank and a shock. ”
If you need a shock for it LMK.
cdoggy81
8/30/2020 9:22pm
Figured 👍🏻 If you got any spares LMK😎
Looby321
8/31/2020 6:03am
What’s that stuff on the side of the air box? Skateboard tape?
8/31/2020 6:51am
Looby321 wrote:
Yeah. I get it on a roll, make templates, trace them, stack them, and when I do graphics I just replace that piece too.

I'm probably going to just make my own airbox all together out of aluminum and weld it in to my subframe on V2.0.

Looks pretty good like this, I think.

I don't believe vapor blasting is the end-all, be-all. Used sparingly on components, yeah. But overdoing it, you lose something along the way.

Had to get some legit coveralls from the Isle of Man, aka "man's country"... Look like late 90s/early 00s, and I've got not the slightest clue who Erv Howton is, but I'll bet he's old, British, and grumpy.

Edgar Torronteras is on board.

I don't care if the other 6.9 billion occupants of this dirt spaceship lined up to tell me this can sucks; it's my fav part. Custom stinger diameter on a 10" can. Yes, loud. I'm drowning out 450s and I don't care how many people it annoys. I've been listening to garbage rev limiters coming out of unpacked fourstrokes canisters for so long and no one will address the issue. Cool, I will. I'm just going to drown it out. Do 250F Yamahas come with silencer packing AT ALL?

I ride with ear plugs for the same reason you turn the volume down on a stereo to look for a street address.

8/31/2020 7:58am
Conducting an experiment. This foam you see is used in attack helicopter fuel tanks to stabilize the fuselage when the fuel shifts. It prevents the weight transfer effect, and also absorbs harmonic vibrations.

Naturally I had to apply that to my bike. But, I don't trust the shit. So, I cut a cube off, put it in a clean glass jar with some U4 and Supertechniplate at 50:1. Been sitting a week, hasn't deteriorated. I'm going to let it sit for another week, then I'm going to strategize how I want to arrange it in the tank. Probably evenly distributed small cubes.

15tc150
8/31/2020 8:03am
Looby321 wrote:
Yeah. I get it on a roll, make templates, trace them, stack them, and when I do graphics I just replace that piece too. I'm probably...
Yeah. I get it on a roll, make templates, trace them, stack them, and when I do graphics I just replace that piece too.

I'm probably going to just make my own airbox all together out of aluminum and weld it in to my subframe on V2.0.

I don't believe vapor blasting is the end-all, be-all. Used sparingly on components, yeah. But overdoing it, you lose something along the way.

Had to get some legit coveralls from the Isle of Man, aka "man's country"... Look like late 90s/early 00s, and I've got not the slightest clue who Erv Howton is, but I'll bet he's old, British, and grumpy.

I don't care if the other 6.9 billion occupants of this dirt spaceship lined up to tell me this can sucks; it's my fav part. Custom stinger diameter on a 10" can. Yes, loud. I'm drowning out 450s and I don't care how many people it annoys. I've been listening to garbage rev limiters coming out of unpacked fourstrokes canisters for so long and no one will address the issue. Cool, I will. I'm just going to drown it out. Do 250F Yamahas come with silencer packing AT ALL?

I ride with ear plugs for the same reason you turn the volume down on a stereo to look for a street address.

If anyone thinks that can ISNT radhouse, well.... I just straight up pitty thee 🤨
8/31/2020 8:06am Edited Date/Time 8/31/2020 10:51am
CSAR FE wrote:
I don’t know what I love more: the bar pad, or the rest of the bike... 🤔
I'll probably debut the "Stop Glorifying Rats" bar pad soon.
Rickyisms
8/31/2020 8:11am
That fuel tank foam is good stuff. We used to run it in our circle track cars and we ran it on our 24 hour challenge bike. We replaced it yearly in the racecar to be preventative.
15tc150
8/31/2020 8:15am
Rickyisms wrote:
That fuel tank foam is good stuff. We used to run it in our circle track cars and we ran it on our 24 hour challenge...
That fuel tank foam is good stuff. We used to run it in our circle track cars and we ran it on our 24 hour challenge bike. We replaced it yearly in the racecar to be preventative.
You don’t own outer space NASA does! Sorry! Had to! Your speaking my accent
8/31/2020 9:00am
Rickyisms wrote:
That fuel tank foam is good stuff. We used to run it in our circle track cars and we ran it on our 24 hour challenge...
I believe if I let the tank dry, removed the petcock and cap, I could blow all the old shit right out from the petcock, out thru the cap. It's not mega expensive in the realm of things. I think that's $40 worth sitting there.

I know it quiets down alloy tank bikes, which are loud as is.
8/31/2020 1:06pm
Looby321 wrote:
Yeah. I get it on a roll, make templates, trace them, stack them, and when I do graphics I just replace that piece too. I'm probably...

15tc150 wrote:
If anyone thinks that can ISNT radhouse, well.... I just straight up pitty thee 🤨
A 125 length silencer with an outlaw tip for an open class twostroke, what in the hell could go wrong

Post a reply to: Works Ohlins Yamaha YZ360 doesn't meet minimum friend requirement for Farleigh

The Latest