Whymee's 2018 TC250 build

Whymee
5/21/2019 10:48am Edited Date/Time 5/28/2019 6:02am
I did a lot of research before I bought this TC250.

At first I was ready to continue the tradition of a new YZ250 in my garage. After posing the question to vital members, I drove 3 hours away & rode the KTM SX. The only thing holding me back on the purchase was the damn thing was orange. Really orange...

SO I bought the next best thing, a Husqvarna TC250. I knew they are a brother to the SX, plus, the Husky was white to start with. A bonus, in my eyes. A very appealing, clean looking bike to start out with.

So the late fall of '17 I go & break it in. 50:1 Yamalube R. The manual said 60:1 but I have to admit that 50:1 made me nervous. Long story short, I put .6 hours on the machine that day. I bet I spent much more than that trying to jet it out. Very frustrating. Wished I had bought the Yammie.

I knew the weather was closing in and I would not get any further time on it until spring '18. After doing research on the jetting, I sprung for a PWK & JD jetting kit for it. Over the winter I added a LCS seat cover, V Force reed cage, Pro circuit pipe & silencer, and a set of gold on gold Haan wheels from KSR. Also picked up a STIC insert for the PWK. Will play around with that after I get it jetted in. New Acerbis plastic replace the stock stuff. Pro Taper Chain, Dirt Tricks sprocket (+1t)

I was ready to rock for '18, sans jetting in the PWK. Late winter I had a medical issue arise, and did not get it taken care of until June. Recovered enough to ride street bikes that year. No moto allowed for all of '18.

Late '18 I purchased an Alta. 2 days after delivery they go out of business. What a shit show that is/was. Sold the Alta this spring, and am ready to do some racing this summer.

Purchased Ohlins for the Alta. Luckily the suspension fit the TC, so I had the Ohlins revalved & sprung for the TC250. I also added wrap around fork guards to protect my investment. Added some Ti hardware as I can't stand the stock fasteners.

This brings me up to present day.

I did clear coat the exhaust with VHT clear. We will see how that holds up.

I have to get up to date pics.... be back shortly...

|
Whymee
5/21/2019 2:33pm
I almost forgot the ASV levers & the Kreft PV adjuster.

5/22/2019 4:12am
Nice clean build mate. Loving the gold stanchions to match the rims too!
How are you finding the Keihin carb? I’m running mikuni on pretty much stock jetting at 60:1 and it runs good. I purchased a used PWK but haven’t really got any reason to try it yet
Whymee
5/22/2019 4:43am
Thanks Brooklynevans.

I have not had a chance to even turn on the petcock to the new carb since the install the winter of '17.

Now that my health is back on track I should be able to "pass gas" once my workload lets up a bit.

Will report back....
jeffro503
5/22/2019 1:21pm
Right on Whymee. I have done the PWK 38mm carb switch as well. Along with the exhaust , reeds , milled head , ect.....

I do however have some larger jets coming for it , as I'll be trying out the STIC metering block in mine after this next weekend's ride. I can't believe the size of jet's I have to run in that new block , so we'll see what it perform's like.

Example :
PKW the way it sits with JD kit : 42 PJ , 172 MJ , blue needle 3rd clip

After STIC install will start off with 52 PJ , 195 MJ , same blue needle and clip , but may have to run red needle on 3rd clip.

From what I have read , it really helps with the over-rev in that last 5% of WOT. Which is exactly where I need it. As of now , the bottom and mid power seem very strong , and if I can find a little more over-rev , I'm be extremely happy. OH!.....Suspension goes to FC this next Monday as well.

The Shop

5/22/2019 1:29pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Right on Whymee. I have done the PWK 38mm carb switch as well. Along with the exhaust , reeds , milled head , ect..... I do...
Right on Whymee. I have done the PWK 38mm carb switch as well. Along with the exhaust , reeds , milled head , ect.....

I do however have some larger jets coming for it , as I'll be trying out the STIC metering block in mine after this next weekend's ride. I can't believe the size of jet's I have to run in that new block , so we'll see what it perform's like.

Example :

After STIC install will start off with 52 PJ , 195 MJ , same blue needle and clip , but may have to run red needle on 3rd clip.

From what I have read , it really helps with the over-rev in that last 5% of WOT. Which is exactly where I need it. As of now , the bottom and mid power seem very strong , and if I can find a little more over-rev , I'm be extremely happy. OH!.....Suspension goes to FC this next Monday as well.
That’s the only place I feel they lack is right on top. Let us know how you get on with it please. Don’t really know much about the STIC block myself
jeffro503
5/22/2019 3:34pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Right on Whymee. I have done the PWK 38mm carb switch as well. Along with the exhaust , reeds , milled head , ect..... I do...

Example :

That’s the only place I feel they lack is right on top. Let us know how you get on with it please. Don’t really know much...
That’s the only place I feel they lack is right on top. Let us know how you get on with it please. Don’t really know much about the STIC block myself
DOH!!.....Haha , I just posted about the STIC in your build thread too.
Slosh 112
5/28/2019 6:02am
I really like that Kreft PV adjuster...

Not that I had too many dramas with the Mikuni but I went with a Lectron on mine, no jets just riding. I run 60:1 all day every day I had no jetting issues.

Post a reply to: Whymee's 2018 TC250 build

The Latest