Vapor Vs Walnut shell blasting of engine cases.

Related:
Create New Tag

8/17/2019 7:24 AM

Has anyone used the shells instead of Vapor when freshening the engine cosmetics? My engine is already super clean with LOW HRS. I would hate to have to tear down and pull all the bearings and seals which I wouldn't need to do with blasting with shells. I can easily seal and go to town. Any input would be a great help. Thanks all.

|

8/18/2019 4:28 AM

I have only used soda for bare aluminum parts, If I remember correctly the walnut is pretty expensive for a small amount. I would try a small part first to see if you get the desired results. Vapor appears to be the best, but total disassemble required.

|

8/18/2019 12:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/18/2019 12:52 PM

Here is an KX125 engine and brake caliper that I recently glass bead blasted (80 grit) This was supposed to be a refresh so vapor honing and the turnover time wasn't ideal for me. The nice thing about glass bead is it's very mild at about 60 PSI. The only thing I noticed and needed to replace was the kickstart seal.

|

8/19/2019 12:37 AM

I tried the shells yesterday at 60psi. All they did was bounce around. I don't wanna split cases and pull everything so I'm going stay with the silica bead as it works and gets me close to the desired effects. Thanks . If I end up doing the motor over, then I'll bite the bullet and vapor the parts.4

|

8/19/2019 4:09 AM

tzmike wrote:

I tried the shells yesterday at 60psi. All they did was bounce around. I don't wanna split cases and pull everything so I'm going stay with the silica bead as it works and gets me close to the desired effects. Thanks . If I end up doing the motor over, then I'll bite the bullet and vapor the parts.4

Post some pics when your done. Curious to see what finish silica would leave.

|

8/19/2019 4:18 AM

tldelaney wrote:

Here is an KX125 engine and brake caliper that I recently glass bead blasted (80 grit) This was supposed to be a refresh so vapor honing and the turnover time wasn't ideal for me. The nice thing about glass bead is it's very mild at about 60 PSI. The only thing I noticed and needed to replace was the kickstart seal.

Are you going to run that engine after glass beading it?

|

8/19/2019 9:56 AM

Yeah I’ve already ran the 3 heat cycles and put an hour on the engine so far.

|

8/21/2019 10:37 AM

For a refresh i use SOS pads. Cheap, inevasive and quick. Rinse with hot water on a sponge. May not best the best if there is oxidation.

|