Turbojez's RM 250 & 125 project

Turbojez
Edited Date/Time 3/3/2019 3:44am
Backstory (kinda long, sorry!):

I wanted to have an RM 250 for quite a few months, but I still had my 2007 RMZ 250 which I rebuilt last year. Nothing fancy but it looked nice and rode well. Finally I sold it two months ago.

One week later, I drove half the country to pick up a 2005 RM 250. Keep in mind I never rode a 250 2-stoke at that point. I just knew that for some reason everyone loves RM 250's and I wanted a bike that will turn as good as my RMZ, but without having to worry about riding a time bomb.

The last owner only rode this Zook around in the countryside, bike basically had no brakes whatsoever, but he didn't seem to have a problem with that, which for me meant that this bike's life was rather easy. If you don't need the brakes, than you probably aren't riding too fast, right?

Test ride: The thing is a blast and scary fast. Every opening of the throttle caused the front wheel to go up, and I was standing on the bike all the time. Super hard suspension (the bike didn't go down at all when I sat on it) and funny, too high handlebar setting (risers). Probably the previous user was tall and heavy. Well I'm 155lbs so not much of a sumo wrestler...

I was out at the local track to practice. Dust, dust and dust, and It turned out that the spacer under the air filter bolt was not OE part, and it allowed the rubber part of the filter to go like this ( allowing dust to enter the motor. Packed up the bike to tear it town and check the damage.

PLANS: It's my only bike right now. Nicasil is worn badly, so I had to send it out all the way to UK, to have it replated.
I will have to split the cases and change all the bearings, replace rod and piston. Expansion chamber has some burned paint on it and a couple of dings, I will try and give it that "factory look".

It won't be one of the Ti/CF bikes, as my budget won't allow it, but I want to get it to pristine condition and keep it there. The frame is getting powdercoated in gloss black right now. I will clean all the aluminum parts, probably will send some of them for anodizing. Casting flaws will be removed where possible. Bike has yellow rims, which look really good, SCAR billet triple clamps (which have some scratching marks made by numberplate), the forks are in bad condition.

All in all, I will get this bike to great, running shape with reasonable amount of cash.
|
Turbojez
6/26/2017 10:53am
Here's pretty much what she looked like when I got her - the front numberplate and fender:

Here's the cylinder plating after it sucked in some dust/sand:

Just look at that poor carb...

Turbojez
6/26/2017 1:30pm
buy one of these [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/06/26/202033/s1200_twinairairfilter1_1.jpg[/img]
buy one of these

It might not be enough at this stage... Smile
Turbojez
9/21/2017 3:19am
Here's how she sits now.

Yes, that's my kitchen.

Frame powdercoated,
Pipe has been sandblasted and I will be doing an DIY works finish on it today.
Went through every bearing.
Replaced bearings in chain rollers, as those were completely shot.
ARC/Moose clutch lever
Renthal kevlar grips
New throttle tube assembly
Hour meter

Wossner rod
Wossner single ring piston

Hot rods crank bearings
Replated cylinder
Ohlins rear spring for my weight
Ohlins TTX cartridge kit for the front forks

Currently I'm waiting to get my suspension back from suspension shop, then I'll be able to put the bike back together.

The Shop

9/22/2017 5:21pm
Turbojez wrote:
Here's how she sits now. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/21/215894/s1200_20170912_201235.jpg[/img] Yes, that's my kitchen. Frame powdercoated, Pipe has been sandblasted and I will be doing an DIY works finish on...
Here's how she sits now.

Yes, that's my kitchen.

Frame powdercoated,
Pipe has been sandblasted and I will be doing an DIY works finish on it today.
Went through every bearing.
Replaced bearings in chain rollers, as those were completely shot.
ARC/Moose clutch lever
Renthal kevlar grips
New throttle tube assembly
Hour meter

Wossner rod
Wossner single ring piston

Hot rods crank bearings
Replated cylinder
Ohlins rear spring for my weight
Ohlins TTX cartridge kit for the front forks

Currently I'm waiting to get my suspension back from suspension shop, then I'll be able to put the bike back together.

If available, would you buy a lowering link for your RM?
Turbojez
11/29/2017 4:05pm
Just got a couple of bits and pieces for the bike. Ordered some more while picking those up.
Galfer 270mm brake kit, KTM brembo master cylinder, chain and sprockets, shock bearings, water pump rebuild kit etc.
Recently got a deal on Ohlins ttx cartridges I couldn't pass on. Still a lot to do but getting closer every day.
Awaiting graphics kit, seat cover and new plastics along with factory number plate.
Plans:
Powdercoating engine covers, anodising the upper tubes and TiN coating lowers. Shopping for a decent rear shock and RM rear hub, so I can piece together a second set of wheels.
11/29/2017 5:56pm Edited Date/Time 11/29/2017 5:57pm
Turbojez wrote:
Just got a couple of bits and pieces for the bike. Ordered some more while picking those up. Galfer 270mm brake kit, KTM brembo master cylinder...
Just got a couple of bits and pieces for the bike. Ordered some more while picking those up.
Galfer 270mm brake kit, KTM brembo master cylinder, chain and sprockets, shock bearings, water pump rebuild kit etc.
Recently got a deal on Ohlins ttx cartridges I couldn't pass on. Still a lot to do but getting closer every day.
Awaiting graphics kit, seat cover and new plastics along with factory number plate.
Plans:
Powdercoating engine covers, anodising the upper tubes and TiN coating lowers. Shopping for a decent rear shock and RM rear hub, so I can piece together a second set of wheels.
What color are you going to PC the covers? Nice bike Smile

Ohlins always makes every bike better.
Turbojez
11/29/2017 11:19pm
What color are you going to PC the covers? Nice bike Smile

Ohlins always makes every bike better.
Thank you!
RAL 7006 is the colour code I'm planning to use and you're right, Ohlins was a huge improvement!
11/30/2017 2:16am
Turbojez wrote:
Thank you!
RAL 7006 is the colour code I'm planning to use and you're right, Ohlins was a huge improvement!
That’s a nice color, hope to see it finished soon!
Turbojez
12/4/2017 11:57pm
A couple more bits and pieces. Some plastics, bolt kit (I needed those drilled washers bad!) New seat foam and sending the seat out to get a new cover on, starcross 5 medium rear tyre and graphics kit. A couple more days and she will be ready to rip.

RussB
Fantasy
986th
12/5/2017 8:33am
Nice work!
Some great pieces on this bike. Love the solid rear rotor. Graphics scheme looks great too.

Where did you get the factory front plate from? May I ask how much it cost?
Turbojez
12/5/2017 9:42am Edited Date/Time 12/5/2017 9:43am
RussB wrote:
Nice work! Some great pieces on this bike. Love the solid rear rotor. Graphics scheme looks great too. Where did you get the factory front plate...
Nice work!
Some great pieces on this bike. Love the solid rear rotor. Graphics scheme looks great too.

Thanks RussB!

WDRacing.eu, an italian MX shop. Awesome customer service!
I ordered two, this one and a black one on thursday and it was delivered today.
25EUR each + 12EUR for the shipping.
144rider
12/5/2017 2:34pm
RussB wrote:
Nice work! Some great pieces on this bike. Love the solid rear rotor. Graphics scheme looks great too. Where did you get the factory front plate...
Nice work!

Turbojez wrote:
Thanks RussB! [url=https://www.wdracing.eu/en/plastiche-singole/2968-tabellanteriore-factory-suzuki-racetech.html]WDRacing.eu[/url], an italian MX shop. Awesome customer service! I ordered two, this one and a black one on thursday and it was delivered today...
Thanks RussB!

WDRacing.eu, an italian MX shop. Awesome customer service!
I ordered two, this one and a black one on thursday and it was delivered today.
25EUR each + 12EUR for the shipping.
Aren't the front plates on the 2018 450's the same?
Turbojez
12/5/2017 3:01pm
144rider wrote:
Aren't the front plates on the 2018 450's the same?
Similar, but definitely not the same.

Turbojez
12/11/2017 1:36pm
Graphics on, here's how she sits at the moment.

ledger
12/11/2017 8:53pm
^^^ What he said, and love the gold rim's.
mxr1der34
12/13/2017 7:06pm
Turbojez wrote:
A couple more bits and pieces. Some plastics, bolt kit (I needed those drilled washers bad!) New seat foam and sending the seat out to get...
A couple more bits and pieces. Some plastics, bolt kit (I needed those drilled washers bad!) New seat foam and sending the seat out to get a new cover on, starcross 5 medium rear tyre and graphics kit. A couple more days and she will be ready to rip.

Where did you get the bolt kit with the drilled washers? Those are sweet
Turbojez
12/14/2017 12:10am
mxr1der34 wrote:
Where did you get the bolt kit with the drilled washers? Those are sweet
Got them at my local moto shop. Accel BKF-401 (it's a set made for RMZ's.
You should be able to find this kit in online stores.
I could get some and send to you but the shipping would kill the deal for you.

RussB
Fantasy
986th
12/14/2017 12:28am
Turbojez wrote:
Got them at my local moto shop. Accel BKF-401 (it's a set made for RMZ's. You should be able to find this kit in online stores...
Got them at my local moto shop. Accel BKF-401 (it's a set made for RMZ's.
You should be able to find this kit in online stores.
I could get some and send to you but the shipping would kill the deal for you.

Turbojez
12/14/2017 8:03am Edited Date/Time 12/14/2017 10:24am
Jmicmoto13 wrote:
Great looking bike!!
Thanks guys!!!
Finally got the seat back. Looks good! The other one is for KTM.

144rider
12/14/2017 1:41pm Edited Date/Time 12/14/2017 1:41pm
Looks heaps better! Helps tie it all together.
Turbojez
12/15/2017 2:32am
Got the stock silencer stripped of the paint and cleaned/brushed a little bit.
Anyone have a PC304 lying around? I think I'm gonna need one.
Tank graphics are bubbling badly. Any solutions to that?

Today I will put a fresh rear Starcross on so I can ride the bike during weekend. It's freezing outside but I need to ride this thing or I'll go crazy.
New brake and shift levers are on the way.

Jmicmoto13
12/15/2017 4:53am
Turbojez wrote:
Got the stock silencer stripped of the paint and cleaned/brushed a little bit. Anyone have a PC304 lying around? I think I'm gonna need one. Tank...
Got the stock silencer stripped of the paint and cleaned/brushed a little bit.
Anyone have a PC304 lying around? I think I'm gonna need one.
Tank graphics are bubbling badly. Any solutions to that?

Today I will put a fresh rear Starcross on so I can ride the bike during weekend. It's freezing outside but I need to ride this thing or I'll go crazy.
New brake and shift levers are on the way.

Solid looking build and I really like the graphics. I used to just get a needle and pop them in the most discrete way I could. The only time I could get tank graphics to not bubble was on a brand new bike. Used or older bikes have the gas fumes impregnated in the plastic tank even if it’s cleaned. Almost impossible long term to not bubble. And I thought I read somewhere that the stock silencer made the most power with an aftermarket head pipe? I have a PC front and stock silencer on mine.
Turbojez
12/17/2017 6:07am
Jmicmoto13 wrote:
Solid looking build and I really like the graphics. I used to just get a needle and pop them in the most discrete way I could...
Solid looking build and I really like the graphics. I used to just get a needle and pop them in the most discrete way I could. The only time I could get tank graphics to not bubble was on a brand new bike. Used or older bikes have the gas fumes impregnated in the plastic tank even if it’s cleaned. Almost impossible long term to not bubble. And I thought I read somewhere that the stock silencer made the most power with an aftermarket head pipe? I have a PC front and stock silencer on mine.
Thanks mate! I will work that needle on the tank graphics Wink
As far as exhaust goes, I heard that the 304 silencer wakes up the upper rpm range a little. It's pretty flat on top right now, but has great low to mid power with stock pipe and silencer. If I come a cross a good deal on a silencer I will try it, until then I'm ok with the stockers. Bike has plenty of power with a fresh single ring piston anyway.
How's your powerband with stock silencer and PC pipe?

Post a reply to: Turbojez's RM 250 & 125 project

The Latest