Thrashed 2002 CR125 Build Thread- Complete!

Buckit
9/15/2017 12:54pm
"...my girlfriend asked if we could do it together as a project, so that being said ill let her do most of the wrench spinning and ill just provide a watching eye and helpful guidance. I think she's a keeper!"

pics or it didn't happen Silly
9/15/2017 5:44pm
Buckit wrote:
[i]"...my girlfriend asked if we could do it together as a project, so that being said ill let her do most of the wrench spinning and...
"...my girlfriend asked if we could do it together as a project, so that being said ill let her do most of the wrench spinning and ill just provide a watching eye and helpful guidance. I think she's a keeper!"

pics or it didn't happen Silly
Shit, I can hardly get mine to let me buy parts!
9/15/2017 8:33pm
The girlfriend was working tonight, but don't worry, I'll get you your pictures!

I was like a kid on Christmas morning and couldn't wait to tear into it and ended up getting the it tore down to the frame.

The deeper I dug the more neglect I found, but there was one positive I found. I'm 95% sure this bike has never been taken apart more than the plastics taken off, the interior of all the bolts sans the swingarm bolt which I had to pound out with a mallet were shinny and spotless and all appeared to be at the factory torque. Including the radiator hoses. We shall see what I discover as I tear into the motor but everything is going smoothly so far.
The exhaust flange did break off when I took the pipe off which seemed odd. But I'm not worried I'll just machine my own.

So far my plans (which are changing daily) are to just clean and freshen everything up and go with a stock '07 look with black rims. But time will tell...

Here's what we uncovered and discovered tonight!

The Shop

wsc96
Fantasy
474th
9/15/2017 9:50pm
A vote here for the stock look. Following Wink
yjgfikl
9/16/2017 11:00pm
Definitely following this. Just finished up my 2002 CR125 as well. Can't wait to see yours!
9/17/2017 4:40pm
Got some more work done today!

Tore everything down and got it power washed, wow what a mess!

Finished cleaning the frame, the oil almost preserved the frame and kept it from putting very badly. I didn't spend as much time on this frame as I usually do on my race bike but it came out pretty well if I say so!

Started sub assembling a few things. All well, pretty much just need to order a bunch of parts and wait for them to come in at this point!

Probably going to tear the wheels apart next and turn the hubs.

Happy Sunday everyone!

Also, pics as promised! She did most of the work including greasing all he swing arm linkage bearings!!!

9/17/2017 7:47pm
yjgfikl wrote:
Definitely following this. Just finished up my 2002 CR125 as well. Can't wait to see yours!
It funny becasue I was looking at yours a day or so before I found this, beautiful build man!
sticecube
9/18/2017 9:25am
Nice looking build my man. If I were you id look into a set of Used 07 Clamps to move the number plate mount to the top of the clamp to keep from having the bolt hole through the front of the number plate. Looking forward to the finished product. These 125 builds definitely have me trying to find my own to build
jbrass715
9/18/2017 9:42am
Is that an A-kit lurking in the back ground?
9/18/2017 1:49pm
sticecube wrote:
Nice looking build my man. If I were you id look into a set of Used 07 Clamps to move the number plate mount to the...
Nice looking build my man. If I were you id look into a set of Used 07 Clamps to move the number plate mount to the top of the clamp to keep from having the bolt hole through the front of the number plate. Looking forward to the finished product. These 125 builds definitely have me trying to find my own to build
I was just going to make my own L- shaped bracket so I can mount the 2017 front number plate. It did it on my last one using a plastic box and it worked really well. I can post details when it's finished. I have the 2017 front fender mounted after drilling new holes and it looks killer! Once you start with one 125 build it's like an addiction! I'm constantly searching for more!
9/18/2017 1:52pm
jbrass715 wrote:
Is that an A-kit lurking in the back ground?
That is! Good eye! I may throw it on for picture purposes but it's currently set up for supercross off my 250 so it probably wouldn't work too well on the 125!
mx621
9/19/2017 8:38pm
Cool to see. I restored my 02 cr125 winter 14-15. Same thing frame off, going through everything.

How it originally looked when I got done

how it looks now

Squidward
9/20/2017 4:56pm
Man. Im sick of seeing everyone rebuilding their 02's while mine sits in back. I need to get on that.
10/3/2017 11:18am
Finally got some more time to work on it! We got the motor rebuilt with the new wiseco racers elite piston and holy smokes does this thing sound amazing already!
We scotbrited the entire motor and got it in the frame along with some other small things, just enough to get it running.
Harley crackle paint on the covers looks mighty sharp!

I have the plastics mounted up and got the rear wheel laced and trued last night but didn’t get pics.

Just waiting on the front wheel and rebuilding the forks and she will be ready to ride! (I’m hoping by this weekend!)

Slosh 112
10/4/2017 3:58am
First off, nice Snap-On roll cabs! I have a lot of Snap-On haha. Second, good work with the missus that wants to help, my girlfriend came into the shed the other night asking if there was anything she could do to help, so I gave her a swing arm and some green scotch bride and off she went and she did a great job too!
10/9/2017 6:06pm
Slosh 112 wrote:
First off, nice Snap-On roll cabs! I have a lot of Snap-On haha. Second, good work with the missus that wants to help, my girlfriend came...
First off, nice Snap-On roll cabs! I have a lot of Snap-On haha. Second, good work with the missus that wants to help, my girlfriend came into the shed the other night asking if there was anything she could do to help, so I gave her a swing arm and some green scotch bride and off she went and she did a great job too!
I love them! It's a nice perk when your old man is addicted to buying snap-on tools lol. I think mine did a better job with the scotch brite than I do! They are a rare breed haha
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
10/9/2017 6:19pm
Finally got some more time to work on it! We got the motor rebuilt with the new wiseco racers elite piston and holy smokes does this...
Finally got some more time to work on it! We got the motor rebuilt with the new wiseco racers elite piston and holy smokes does this thing sound amazing already!
We scotbrited the entire motor and got it in the frame along with some other small things, just enough to get it running.
Harley crackle paint on the covers looks mighty sharp!

I have the plastics mounted up and got the rear wheel laced and trued last night but didn’t get pics.

Just waiting on the front wheel and rebuilding the forks and she will be ready to ride! (I’m hoping by this weekend!)

Cool to see you and your girl doing a project together. My wife and I are going to be getting her ttr125 ready together and I'm looking forward to it.

Can't wait to see this project all done
z71will
10/9/2017 7:58pm
In for this. I'm getting a 2001 cr125 this Wednesday in a box and it's tore apart in pieces! I'm getting it super cheap so I have a good budget. Not doing a full out restoration, that's for my cr80 I'm building right now (see my build thread on it). I'm just gonna rebuild the engine and fix anything that needs to be fixed and make it look good as possible, then I'll sell it for profit and put some of the profit into my 80. I'll start a build thread on it as well once I get it. Been waiting all week to get it and the anticipation is killing me.
Devinwals
10/23/2017 2:18pm
Nice man , I just started my first cr125 build as well should check it out as it's also my first post ..
shoot me some feedback or any suggestions
RBernardi85
10/23/2017 7:22pm
That's awesome your girl helps you out! Bike is
Coming along nicely, except that "crackle" paint. Personally I'd use Dupli-color undercoat, I even use it on Harley motors to get the wrinkle black finish without buying the Harley paint.
7/17/2018 7:08am
I forgot to post the finished pictures of this build. Sorry for the delay!
Here is the finished product, I ended up selling the bike to a friend for $2000 and it was his first dirt bike.
I just picked up a 1997 cr125 yesterday and will be doing a better job with that thread hopefully!

7/17/2018 7:10am
That's awesome your girl helps you out! Bike is Coming along nicely, except that "crackle" paint. Personally I'd use Dupli-color undercoat, I even use it on...
That's awesome your girl helps you out! Bike is
Coming along nicely, except that "crackle" paint. Personally I'd use Dupli-color undercoat, I even use it on Harley motors to get the wrinkle black finish without buying the Harley paint.
Yeah the crackle paint didnt turn out as I was hoping, I had a can of it laying around that I wanted to use up. Thank you for the suggestion ill have to try that. Im hoping to do more cerakote in future builds.
genericrider
7/18/2018 11:15pm
If you don't mind me asking, how much did the whole build cost? sold my 125 a while ago and i'm thinking about doing the same sort of build.
7/19/2018 6:32am
If you don't mind me asking, how much did the whole build cost? sold my 125 a while ago and i'm thinking about doing the same...
If you don't mind me asking, how much did the whole build cost? sold my 125 a while ago and i'm thinking about doing the same sort of build.
I will see if I can find my excel sheet of all my expenses. Since the bottom end and cylinder were good, I think I only had about $1200 into the entire build, $600 for the bike and $600 for the parts. That's if you count the labor all free, I enjoy this so it keeps me busy.
genericrider
7/19/2018 9:43am
I will see if I can find my excel sheet of all my expenses. Since the bottom end and cylinder were good, I think I only...
I will see if I can find my excel sheet of all my expenses. Since the bottom end and cylinder were good, I think I only had about $1200 into the entire build, $600 for the bike and $600 for the parts. That's if you count the labor all free, I enjoy this so it keeps me busy.
Thanks. I think I am going to start looking around for one.
7/25/2018 8:48pm
I will see if I can find my excel sheet of all my expenses. Since the bottom end and cylinder were good, I think I only...
Thanks. I think I am going to start looking around for one.

Here is the excel sheet of my expenses.
YZed250
7/26/2018 9:03am
How did you do the rims for $60? Powder coat two rims @ $30ea?
Well done on the build.
7/26/2018 10:48am
YZed250 wrote:
How did you do the rims for $60? Powder coat two rims @ $30ea?
Well done on the build.
Yeah $30 per rim powdercoat, I have a buddy that did like 4 sets for me at one time.

Thank you!

Post a reply to: Thrashed 2002 CR125 Build Thread- Complete!

The Latest