The rm 125 dream

fanger
Edited Date/Time 12/3/2019 2:58am
Well after sitting in hospital with a sick kid a few weeks ago and going through every build in this forum due to boredom I got the bug to do a build myself.

Then I thought why stop there? Between work, raising two young kids and health problems I’ve let myself go and have gotten pretty fat, unfit and been feeling down about my appearance. So why not build myself as well?

Then I thought about it some more, if I’m going to go through all this effort I should set myself a goal. The mx nationals here in Australia have a 125cc senior class that contests select rounds. I was an A grade junior and it was always a dream to have a crack at national level racing, but life, injuries and priorities got in the way. So fuck it, you only live once. If I can qualify and maintain a decent pace the whole race I’ll be absolutely stoked!

Less about me and more on the bike, I picked up an 02 rm for a decent price and good condition for its age. The bike itself is very rideable at the minute so I’ll do a few good rides and order parts before I fully tear it apart and get properly stuck into it.

I’ve got a few questions hopefully you legends can help out with.

1. Can you put the 05+ barrel and power valve on the 02 motor?

2. Will the kyb sss forks out of a yz 125 slide fit the rm clamps?

3. What is the best exhaust system and carb set up?

4. Can you powdercoat or cerokote a clear coat over raw frame?

5. Could anyone recommend workouts and a decent diet that would help for mx?

Thanks for taking the time to read and I hope to get some great advice from you legends!

|
SLOWTIME
10/22/2019 5:18pm
Is that a bills pipe and silencer? If so, run that.
bonseff
10/22/2019 5:23pm
Never been a zook guy, but I hope your kiddos are healthy!
I am in the same place, rebuilt a 89 125 honda just to get out and ride again.
Good luck with the build, homie! You picked up a solid bike, GO FORTH!
fanger
10/22/2019 5:32pm
SLOWTIME wrote:
Is that a bills pipe and silencer? If so, run that.
Yeah sure is mate, the muffler is a bit beat up but I can easily fix it up. Do the newer exhaust systems perform any better? I’ll glady save the money and put it elsewhere. Thanks!
Action69
10/22/2019 6:04pm
Sounds like a plan,good luck on your build and your journey..

The Shop

fanger
10/22/2019 6:06pm
bonseff wrote:
Never been a zook guy, but I hope your kiddos are healthy! I am in the same place, rebuilt a 89 125 honda just to get...
Neither to be honest, but the bike was the best I could find so I just went with it. Been years since I rode a steel Frame as well.

The young Tacker is healthy and back to being crazy, which means I can waste money in dirt bikes!

Did you do a build thread for the Cr?
10/23/2019 12:35pm
I will sell you a whole 02 Rm 125 with a title if you're interested , it too needs a cylinder that I cannot find. I have spent 4 months trying to acquire one for a decent price. The previous owner put an 03 cylinder on it , but the cylinder has scoring on it.
bonseff
10/23/2019 3:31pm
bonseff wrote:
Never been a zook guy, but I hope your kiddos are healthy! I am in the same place, rebuilt a 89 125 honda just to get...
fanger wrote:
Neither to be honest, but the bike was the best I could find so I just went with it. Been years since I rode a steel...
Neither to be honest, but the bike was the best I could find so I just went with it. Been years since I rode a steel Frame as well.

The young Tacker is healthy and back to being crazy, which means I can waste money in dirt bikes!

Si, I didn't go nuts, It's mostly stock, still not done but very close.

here
ledger
10/23/2019 9:30pm Edited Date/Time 10/23/2019 11:52pm
That's a nice RM ! I honestly don't think the SSS swap would be worth it at this point... maybe later when you get healthier ??. Just my guess, but you would probably need the entire front end...triples, wheel, hub, brake set-up and so on. I would have the suspension done for your...Goal Weight. I respect what your doing fitness wise because I did the Exact same thing eight year's ago and bought a YZ 125 as my exercise bike. I could write a book on fitness but I'll keep it simple as possible, #1 Do Not Diet, eat healthy foods and your mind will start craving the nutrition healthy food offers, (helps with depression big time)... limit processed food as much as possible. #2 Water, water, water, and a few beers/wine/bit of whiskey will be good for you as well. #3 Pay close attention to carbs, fats and sugar...keep it low. #4 Start a workout routine (YouTube) no less than four times per week...Cardio is your best Gig and start lifting also, your core is most important, Oh, stretch...a lot. If I didn't get back into the sport year's ago, I'd be a fat lazy miserable SOB like I use to be. Okay, I wrote a small book, but I'm glad I did, and I hope it helps you stay motivated, also, I hope your kid is ok. Just keep us updated.
fanger
10/24/2019 1:38am
I will sell you a whole 02 Rm 125 with a title if you're interested , it too needs a cylinder that I cannot find. I...
I will sell you a whole 02 Rm 125 with a title if you're interested , it too needs a cylinder that I cannot find. I have spent 4 months trying to acquire one for a decent price. The previous owner put an 03 cylinder on it , but the cylinder has scoring on it.
are you in Australia? Phone doesn’t show location.
fanger
10/24/2019 1:39am
bonseff wrote:
fanger wrote:
Neither to be honest, but the bike was the best I could find so I just went with it. Been years since I rode a steel...

bonseff wrote:
Si, I didn't go nuts, It's mostly stock, still not done but very close. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/10/12/295291/s1200_cr125_4.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/03/12/331535/s1200_IMG_4290.jpg[/img] [url=https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Bike-Builds,46/1989-CR125-Winter-Project,1347909]here[/url]
Si, I didn't go nuts, It's mostly stock, still not done but very close.

here
Just had a look at your thread, nicely done! Can’t wait to see it finished
fanger
10/24/2019 1:44am
ledger wrote:
That's a nice RM ! I honestly don't think the SSS swap would be worth it at this point... maybe later when you get healthier...
That's a nice RM ! I honestly don't think the SSS swap would be worth it at this point... maybe later when you get healthier ??. Just my guess, but you would probably need the entire front end...triples, wheel, hub, brake set-up and so on. I would have the suspension done for your...Goal Weight. I respect what your doing fitness wise because I did the Exact same thing eight year's ago and bought a YZ 125 as my exercise bike. I could write a book on fitness but I'll keep it simple as possible, #1 Do Not Diet, eat healthy foods and your mind will start craving the nutrition healthy food offers, (helps with depression big time)... limit processed food as much as possible. #2 Water, water, water, and a few beers/wine/bit of whiskey will be good for you as well. #3 Pay close attention to carbs, fats and sugar...keep it low. #4 Start a workout routine (YouTube) no less than four times per week...Cardio is your best Gig and start lifting also, your core is most important, Oh, stretch...a lot. If I didn't get back into the sport year's ago, I'd be a fat lazy miserable SOB like I use to be. Okay, I wrote a small book, but I'm glad I did, and I hope it helps you stay motivated, also, I hope your kid is ok. Just keep us updated.
Thanks!

I’ve been looking into it and it’s going to be a lot of work, the forks on the bike are 46mm and the sss are 48mm, I’ve got the gear at work to machine the the clamps but I’m not sure how much it would weaken them...... think You’re right about waiting to get healthy. No use setting a bike up to lose weight and have to do it again.

Those are some great pointers, I’ll definitely take it all on board. Would you be able to recommend a mx orientated workout routine on YouTube to save sifting through all the crap on there? Thanks a lot mate you’ve been really helpful.
Pirate421
10/24/2019 3:58am
I used a program called Athlean X. Paid like $100 for the 3 month program called AX1. Its designed to make you overall more athletic. Doesn’t require much in the way of gym equipment and has videos and tutorials for every movement. The guy who runs the program has tons of YouTube videos that are free so I bought the program.

If you went with it my tip would be do each week twice, back to back. This way you can master the movements and it spreads out your investment from a 3 month to a 6 month program. Then when you’re done, do it again, with more weight or whatever. I think a lot of people get wrapped around the axle with fitness and feel like they need to lift heavy or do what they see these instagram fitness people do. Start simple and work your way into a nice routine and don’t burn yourself out. Good luck.
fanger
10/24/2019 8:25pm
Pirate421 wrote:
I used a program called Athlean X. Paid like $100 for the 3 month program called AX1. Its designed to make you overall more athletic. Doesn’t...
I used a program called Athlean X. Paid like $100 for the 3 month program called AX1. Its designed to make you overall more athletic. Doesn’t require much in the way of gym equipment and has videos and tutorials for every movement. The guy who runs the program has tons of YouTube videos that are free so I bought the program.

If you went with it my tip would be do each week twice, back to back. This way you can master the movements and it spreads out your investment from a 3 month to a 6 month program. Then when you’re done, do it again, with more weight or whatever. I think a lot of people get wrapped around the axle with fitness and feel like they need to lift heavy or do what they see these instagram fitness people do. Start simple and work your way into a nice routine and don’t burn yourself out. Good luck.
Thanks for the help I’ll look into it now bud!
fanger
10/24/2019 8:28pm
I can get a blown up 2007 rmz 250 for basically nothing, does anybody know if the forks and shock will fit into the rm? Cheers.
ledger
10/24/2019 9:59pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2019 11:49pm
Pirate421 hit the nail on the head...so props to him for his input. I also agree about people getting caught up in lifting Heavy...we're motocross, not Arnold Swartzeneggar or however his name is spelled, lol. Anyway, go for higher reps and the Burn, cause it feels good. Wish I had an answer about the RMZ, but someone will chime in with that knowledge. You're on the right track !!
Pirate421
10/25/2019 3:30am
I guess I’ll also add that one of the single best excercise investments I’ve made has been a mountain bike. Not sure what the mountain bike climate is for you but it has helped my riding in not just fitness.

The mt bike has taught me better line choices,body position and reaction to moving obstacles and works the same muscles as riding. I workout a lot and have to work out daily for work and no matter what I do in the gym, there are lots of muscles you only work on the dirt bike and mt bike.
deccr250
10/25/2019 6:45am Edited Date/Time 10/25/2019 6:46am
fanger wrote:
I can get a blown up 2007 rmz 250 for basically nothing, does anybody know if the forks and shock will fit into the rm? Cheers.
Hey bud, to answer a couple of your questions -

You can absolutely clear coat over a raw metal frame, I personally think it looks really good..especially if you torch the welds before clear coating.
RMZ forks will work, however you’ll need the RMZ front wheel and spacers and you’ll also need to bore out your triples as the forks are a larger diameter.
I know some RMZ triple clamps will swap straight onto the RM’s so that will be an option if you don’t want to bore yours out. ( Pro Circuit and a few other aftermarket RMZ clamps will fit )
Most RMZ shocks are a direct bolt on fit for the RM’s so I’m sure that’ll fit fine.
RMZ front brake system is also a direct bolt on fit and is a nice upgrade from the older RM brakes.
chump6784
10/25/2019 11:19pm
Hey mate, I did similar at the Gympie round this year, I just put the suspension from my yz250 into my wife's yz125. I had too little prep time and got my ass absolutely kicked but had so much fun, it was a great experience.

As for a workout, I have been doing p90x and really enjoy it and am seeing results. I'm now able to run full race length at my local races at full race pace and not be completely puffed out.

Dirt rider did a two stroke pipe shootout in 03, I don't know how the 02 motor compares but it might give you an idea how the pipe works. If it were me I wouldn't worry about changing what you have
accessories/141_0302_2003_two_stroke_exhaust_test/
fanger
10/30/2019 3:14am
Pirate421 wrote:
I guess I’ll also add that one of the single best excercise investments I’ve made has been a mountain bike. Not sure what the mountain bike...
I guess I’ll also add that one of the single best excercise investments I’ve made has been a mountain bike. Not sure what the mountain bike climate is for you but it has helped my riding in not just fitness.

The mt bike has taught me better line choices,body position and reaction to moving obstacles and works the same muscles as riding. I workout a lot and have to work out daily for work and no matter what I do in the gym, there are lots of muscles you only work on the dirt bike and mt bike.
I’d better dust off the old mountain bike, may as well enjoy getting fit. Thanks dude.
fanger
10/30/2019 3:15am
fanger wrote:
deccr250 wrote:
Hey bud, to answer a couple of your questions - You can absolutely clear coat over a raw metal frame, I personally think it looks really...
Hey bud, to answer a couple of your questions -

You can absolutely clear coat over a raw metal frame, I personally think it looks really good..especially if you torch the welds before clear coating.
RMZ forks will work, however you’ll need the RMZ front wheel and spacers and you’ll also need to bore out your triples as the forks are a larger diameter.
I know some RMZ triple clamps will swap straight onto the RM’s so that will be an option if you don’t want to bore yours out. ( Pro Circuit and a few other aftermarket RMZ clamps will fit )
Most RMZ shocks are a direct bolt on fit for the RM’s so I’m sure that’ll fit fine.
RMZ front brake system is also a direct bolt on fit and is a nice upgrade from the older RM brakes.
Thanks for the info mate, really helpful. I’ve found someone selling the suspension of an rmz wreck cheap so I better pull the trigger on it!
fanger
10/30/2019 3:20am
chump6784 wrote:
Hey mate, I did similar at the Gympie round this year, I just put the suspension from my yz250 into my wife's yz125. I had too...
Hey mate, I did similar at the Gympie round this year, I just put the suspension from my yz250 into my wife's yz125. I had too little prep time and got my ass absolutely kicked but had so much fun, it was a great experience.

As for a workout, I have been doing p90x and really enjoy it and am seeing results. I'm now able to run full race length at my local races at full race pace and not be completely puffed out.

Dirt rider did a two stroke pipe shootout in 03, I don't know how the 02 motor compares but it might give you an idea how the pipe works. If it were me I wouldn't worry about changing what you have
yeah good stuff mate, are you planning to have a crack next year as well? Was it a relaxed as I think it is or pretty serious?
Spudnut
10/30/2019 10:15am
fanger wrote:
Thanks! I’ve been looking into it and it’s going to be a lot of work, the forks on the bike are 46mm and the sss are...
Thanks!

I’ve been looking into it and it’s going to be a lot of work, the forks on the bike are 46mm and the sss are 48mm, I’ve got the gear at work to machine the the clamps but I’m not sure how much it would weaken them...... think You’re right about waiting to get healthy. No use setting a bike up to lose weight and have to do it again.

Those are some great pointers, I’ll definitely take it all on board. Would you be able to recommend a mx orientated workout routine on YouTube to save sifting through all the crap on there? Thanks a lot mate you’ve been really helpful.
You can probably get the YZ clamps as well and have your stem pressed into the yz clamps
chump6784
10/30/2019 10:59pm Edited Date/Time 10/31/2019 12:44pm
chump6784 wrote:
Hey mate, I did similar at the Gympie round this year, I just put the suspension from my yz250 into my wife's yz125. I had too...

fanger wrote:
yeah good stuff mate, are you planning to have a crack next year as well? Was it a relaxed as I think it is or pretty...
yeah good stuff mate, are you planning to have a crack next year as well? Was it a relaxed as I think it is or pretty serious?
Maybe, we'll see.

It's as relaxed or as serious as you make it. I went there knowing I'd get my ass kicked and just to have fun. The Saturday was probably the best, we rocked up just after all the semi's had set up and it was cool to see the in's and out's of the pro paddock. During track walk we were walking around with all the factory riders and riders briefing was the same.

Sunday was a more serious vibe and there is some fast guys that race it. It's been a long time since I've raced at a bigger event but racing the nationals was cool.

Drop-Bear
11/21/2019 1:45pm Edited Date/Time 11/22/2019 2:36am
05 jug won't work,

RMZ rear shock won't work. Not without modification. The 02 has a completely different linkage, The 04+ RM is the same as the RMZ's. You might be able to use the clevis off the 02 RM shock on the RMZ shock to make it fit. I had a look at that, and I reckon It'd do the trick.
I'd say the RMZ forks will fit the bottom clamp, but might not fit the top. Good chance you can use the top clamp off the RMZ, I did on my 06 model.

The radiators stick out further on the 02. You can grind the radiator mounts on the frame to make it the same as an 06.

Unfortunately, not many 06 or RMZ parts will fit the 02 model without modification. The 02 and 04+ frames are completely different.

12/3/2019 2:53am
Drop-Bear wrote:
05 jug won't work, RMZ rear shock won't work. Not without modification. The 02 has a completely different linkage, The 04+ RM is the same as...
05 jug won't work,

RMZ rear shock won't work. Not without modification. The 02 has a completely different linkage, The 04+ RM is the same as the RMZ's. You might be able to use the clevis off the 02 RM shock on the RMZ shock to make it fit. I had a look at that, and I reckon It'd do the trick.
I'd say the RMZ forks will fit the bottom clamp, but might not fit the top. Good chance you can use the top clamp off the RMZ, I did on my 06 model.

The radiators stick out further on the 02. You can grind the radiator mounts on the frame to make it the same as an 06.

Unfortunately, not many 06 or RMZ parts will fit the 02 model without modification. The 02 and 04+ frames are completely different.

don,t bother changing out forks and shock just stick gold valves and race tech springs did this to mine and is fucking awesome. have 3 rms all up 2 2007 125,s and and a 250 just about to start a build on one of the 125,s will be posting shortly .the carb and pipe combo to run is hgs and a lectron they run great all the time .
12/3/2019 2:58am
Drop-Bear wrote:
05 jug won't work, RMZ rear shock won't work. Not without modification. The 02 has a completely different linkage, The 04+ RM is the same as...
05 jug won't work,

don,t bother changing out forks and shock just stick gold valves and race tech springs did this to mine and is fucking awesome. have 3 rms...
don,t bother changing out forks and shock just stick gold valves and race tech springs did this to mine and is fucking awesome. have 3 rms all up 2 2007 125,s and and a 250 just about to start a build on one of the 125,s will be posting shortly .the carb and pipe combo to run is hgs and a lectron they run great all the time .
plus you might want to talk to dave at two strokr performance in mornington one of the very best two stroke tuners going good luck with the whole program and rm,s are good for the sole mate have a good one.LaughingCoolCool
ecmx274
12/9/2019 6:41pm
fanger wrote:
Well after sitting in hospital with a sick kid a few weeks ago and going through every build in this forum due to boredom I got...
Well after sitting in hospital with a sick kid a few weeks ago and going through every build in this forum due to boredom I got the bug to do a build myself.

Then I thought why stop there? Between work, raising two young kids and health problems I’ve let myself go and have gotten pretty fat, unfit and been feeling down about my appearance. So why not build myself as well?

Then I thought about it some more, if I’m going to go through all this effort I should set myself a goal. The mx nationals here in Australia have a 125cc senior class that contests select rounds. I was an A grade junior and it was always a dream to have a crack at national level racing, but life, injuries and priorities got in the way. So fuck it, you only live once. If I can qualify and maintain a decent pace the whole race I’ll be absolutely stoked!

Less about me and more on the bike, I picked up an 02 rm for a decent price and good condition for its age. The bike itself is very rideable at the minute so I’ll do a few good rides and order parts before I fully tear it apart and get properly stuck into it.

I’ve got a few questions hopefully you legends can help out with.

1. Can you put the 05+ barrel and power valve on the 02 motor?

2. Will the kyb sss forks out of a yz 125 slide fit the rm clamps?

3. What is the best exhaust system and carb set up?

4. Can you powdercoat or cerokote a clear coat over raw frame?

5. Could anyone recommend workouts and a decent diet that would help for mx?

Thanks for taking the time to read and I hope to get some great advice from you legends!

So I know a few people have said the 05 jug won’t work but I think it will. I heard if you use a rod from an 04 and up the 05 jug will work. You would need the rod, cylinder, head, pv and piston from a 05 . I’m not 100% on this but I read a post on here and the guy had a 03 with the 04 jug on it and those are the mods he did to make it work.

Post a reply to: The rm 125 dream

The Latest