The Vital MX '18 RMZ450 (2018 Day In The Dirt Race Report and LONG TERM WEAR status)

TeamGreen
2/26/2018 6:21pm Edited Date/Time 3/25/2018 6:46pm
CM46 wrote:
I dig the fators sticker
TeamGreen wrote:
Rode this scooter at the Redding Dirt Riders New Years Day Poker Run. Fator's has serviced it a few times. I figure a Suzuki should be...
Rode this scooter at the Redding Dirt Riders New Years Day Poker Run. Fator's has serviced it a few times. I figure a Suzuki should be taken care of by an Old School Suzuki Dealer.

There'll be more Fator's on this project and some Donnell's, too (dealership that is run by a fellow forum member in Independence, Missouri).
Who is the forum member that runs Donnell's? Please DM if you'd prefer. And another question, now that you have some seat time sorting the '18...
Who is the forum member that runs Donnell's? Please DM if you'd prefer.

And another question, now that you have some seat time sorting the '18 RMZ, how would you rate it or compare it with your '17 CRF450RX and '17 RMZ450 experience?
The '18 retains virtually all of the great chassis feel of the '17 BUT, the '17 Shock was...
THE BEST SHOCK EVER PUT ON A PRODUCTION 450! Yes, the '17 RMZ had a "Production" version of the old Showa A-Kit shock.

For "All Around" riding, the CRF-RX is STILL the best "out of the crate" Japanese bike for the average MXer that trail rides...HOWEVER...the '18 RMZ450 is better than the RX in ultra-technical and tight off-road stuff as found in The Shasta National Forest (tried it and surprised myself). Meanwhile, the RX is EASIER to go FASTER on an MX track!
WTF?! I know, that last paragraph seems weird; and, I just proved my observations last Wednesday at Milestone.
Declaration: BOTH BIKES have had A LOT of adjusting and dialing in. Last week's Honda was an '18 "R" turned "RX" by Honda's own Gothic Jay...who's an absolute bad-ass.

"RMGSXR" is the Boss over at Donnell's & he's one of the best human-beings I've ever met.
3/21/2018 8:43am
Any new updates Manny on this bike? Has your opinion changed any about this bike? With simple mods does it really improve the machine?
TeamGreen wrote:
Shhhhhh...just put these pics in the thread in Moto about the "2018 Suzuki"...haven't ridden it with this...yet...just got mounted today... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/02/26/246343/s1200_image.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/02/26/246344/s1200_image.jpg[/img] Graphics, Guts EXTREMELY LIGHT...
Shhhhhh...just put these pics in the thread in Moto about the "2018 Suzuki"...haven't ridden it with this...yet...just got mounted today...

Graphics, Guts EXTREMELY LIGHT seat and UFO plastic are also in the works...

So, I've got that goin' for me. Which is nice.

Any new updates Manny?
TeamGreen
3/24/2018 8:13pm Edited Date/Time 3/24/2018 8:19pm
Today was my 1st day riding since Feb-21st...from that day and the Honda (left) that I rode and the Honda that I threw roost at (right/JMart test bike)...

Last ride in fairly stock form (Feb 21)...

From the “Show is your 2018 RMZ450” thread, today...

50 plus Hours (more like 60!)
List of mods in order...
Renthal Chains and Sprockets
VP VPR Racing Fuel
(Superlight front/Twin Ring rear)
Pirelli Mid-Softs and Bibs
MotoHoses in Blue!
Engine Ice
Motul Oil from Fator’s Suzuki in Redding, CA. (2-3 times. (Serviced it 4 times w/Bel-Ray myself)
Galfer 280mm Superlight Tsunami front, Tsunami rear, pads and hoses.
Mettec Ti bolts here and there.
Yoshimura Ti-Carbon Signature System “Snappy!” Looks AND throttle response!
CRF Stuff/Moto-Stuff KXF Al. Body kit bolts adapted to fit w/ some o-rings @ shrouds, side panels, tank cover
All servicing since January (and thorough inspections) from Allan Brown Motorsports (TiLube oils).
Just installed a new stock air filter. Original is still pretty good. I changed it “just because”.

A special shout out to Suzuki Motor America, Inc. & the folks at Yoshimura and Allan Brown Motorsports for empowering me and Vital MX to ride the livjng XXXX outta this bike. We’ve been be able to log hours and hours and hours...as needed develop a great bike for Vet-Sr. Riders that just want a really good, dependable and EASY to ride bike. There will be a lot more details in my thread in Bike Builds.”

Signed,
A New believer in the RM Army.

The Shop

TeamGreen
3/24/2018 8:25pm
It’s time to tear it down and do a solid “freshening up” and make it all new...again! What do ya think...some Dubya in Suzuki yellow?
Btw, it’s about 3.5-4 pounds lighter with snappier throttle response...at this point. The Galfers provide substantially better stopping power with waaaaay less effort. The pipe really livens up the bottom to mid transition and gives it a bit more rev, too. It sounds amazing.
TeamGreen
4/1/2018 11:30am Edited Date/Time 4/1/2018 1:38pm
Well, uh, change of plans...
Due to getting wrangled into going to the Canadian “Rockstar Triple Crown” kick-off race in Abbortsford, BC...and then on to Dallas, Atlanta and Daytona SX’s...well, as I was saying, tearing the bike down got put on hold & that was a good thing. I hadn’t been riding and a coupl’a race teams had been keeping me really busy!

Allan Brown had the bike at his shop all dialed in and good to go since my last ride on Feb-21. He’d even mounted up the sweet new Yosh pipe & gave the bike a good pro-mechanic quality “looking over”. So, I decided to stay home from the Indy SX race and get some riding in with the new Yoshimura Signature Series Ti-Carbon pipe. I went to Pala on Saturday, March 24th & proceeded to get blisters from being off the bike for a month. The new pipe BARKS & the mid to top power delivery is a much stronger pull into the top. The Typical Suzuki bottom/snap is even better. After two days of riding I was glad I was on the Zook. It’s sooooo easy to ride! It was so fun that I went back the next day to really kick the hell outta myself!
Two days in a row after a month off! Woooo Hoooo!

As I said, I hadn’t ridden between Feb-21 & March-24. I rode at Pala on the 24th & 25th and then packed everything up and drove to my shop in Redding where we needed to get to work making some goodies for some race teams. While I was in Redding, our company engineer, Steve Bates said... “Hey! It’s The Road To Mammoth Qualifier at The Oatfield this weekend & you’ve got a bike! Come racing with the gang!”
Why not?
Well, there is the fact that I hadn’t actually raced since the last time I qual’d for & then raced Mammoth... And, uh, was that 2015?
No worries!
Let’s RACE!
I’m a fat short old fool that thinks he’s still got “Over 50 B” speed; so, Let’s find out how full of crap I am (I’m usually just as full of it as any old guy racer...waaay faster in my mind than I am on the track!).

So, I got up at 3 a.m. on Friday & drove to the track just east Turlock and got a little practice in before racing on Saturday. I got a few short and sweet sessions in. I was trying to NOT ride too much due to the case of Yama-thumb and palm blisters I had from not riding for too damn long. The track was its usual braking-bump-rutfest with plenty of jumps in-between: aka, REAL MOTOCROSS that really kicked my butt...in a most awesome and old school way. I was already sore and stoked. Weird, right? But, I knew that if it was kicking my ass...well...it was gonna kick everyone in the “Over 50” class right in the butt, too! After that we went and stayed at a nice place in Merced and had an awesome meal at The Branding Iron. That’s how we do it in The Old Guy Syndicate. Not to mention we know how to get some really good sleep the night before a race (a little Don Julio goes a long way).

Got up bright and early at 5:30 Saturday and headed to the track. Got just a little bit of practice in and waited for my 1st Moto: 50B, 50C & 40B combined. No worries. There were only 5 of us in 40 & 50B and we had our own gate. Nice. The Suzuki was working fine and I felt pretty good. My 1st gate drop yielded a hole-shot and one of the 40B guys went FLYING by me into the 1st turn & another in the 2nd turn. My race was a battle with one of the guys from 40B and I had A BLAST! Won my Moto and the bike was AMAZING in the ruts. Added a little bit of rebound in the shock and it was really holding it's own in the braking bumps. Turns out I didn’t know who I was racing against and there was only one other 50B rider. We lapped quite a few of the 50C guys and there were a few of them scattered in the turns. The track was ROUGH...but, AWESOME!

I let a 450C rider borrow the bike since his YZF died and he’d come a long way...from San Clemente! He did pretty good and loved how it turned and jumped: nice! He finished 10th outta 30+ riders in his class on a bike he hadn’t ridden before. That was kinda cool!

For my second moto I was feeling pretty good. When I launched outta the gate I got a great jump...and then it REALLY hooked up and wheelied. Damn! Had to get the front end down and a coupl’a guys got by me. One of them was the other Over 50B guy that I had just met at the starting gate! Damn! We proceeded to battle and I was getting really beat up. I needed to loosen up...so, I backed off and kept him in sight...wihen the white flag came out I got right on him and set him up for a pass with 2 turns to go...
I had the get the Zook into a VERY INSIDE RUT that was a super kicked out entry into a crazy tight turn...
It worked. I was able to wheel tap the whoops to the last turn and cruise to the finish line jump. The Zook LOVES when you commit to tight turns!
Well, it felt good and I was stoked that I’d stayed off the ground and felt the bike worked really, really well!
TeamGreen
4/1/2018 12:33pm Edited Date/Time 4/1/2018 12:34pm
From yesterday’s race:

I should have some actual racing pics this week.
H4L
4/1/2018 1:05pm
Manny, I have to say I'm jealous of your job. As a white collar corp type the last 14 yrs. I don't get to ride as much due to traveling. If there ever is a position that opens up keep me in mind as I would be more than willing to apply. You have my dream job. It's been said if you Luv what you do you'll never work another day in your life...
Rotaholic
4/1/2018 2:00pm
That was a great read, loving the suzuki updates, these are killer bikes!
TeamGreen
4/2/2018 9:39am
H4L wrote:
Manny, I have to say I'm jealous of your job. As a white collar corp type the last 14 yrs. I don't get to ride as...
Manny, I have to say I'm jealous of your job. As a white collar corp type the last 14 yrs. I don't get to ride as much due to traveling. If there ever is a position that opens up keep me in mind as I would be more than willing to apply. You have my dream job. It's been said if you Luv what you do you'll never work another day in your life...
It's a good gig; but, the travel and the constantly changing needs of the OEMs and Teams keeps our staff busy.
4/2/2018 10:56am
H4L wrote:
Manny, I have to say I'm jealous of your job. As a white collar corp type the last 14 yrs. I don't get to ride as...
TeamGreen wrote:
It's a good gig; but, the travel and the constantly changing needs of the OEMs and Teams keeps our staff busy.
Manny what’s your plans now with the bike? More riding or rebuilding?
TeamGreen
4/2/2018 11:48am
H4L wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
Manny what’s your plans now with the bike? More riding or rebuilding?
It needs a good tear-down and go thru. It's got a lot of hours. Trying to schedule it all out now.
TeamGreen
5/11/2018 9:58pm Edited Date/Time 5/11/2018 10:22pm
Quick Update:

Ran the new Factory Connection suspension today after taking the entire month of April off to catch up on work...and assist with some racing...well...other people's racing. No worries: it was worth it as was "the wait" to get the suspension I wanted.

The FC Shock is amazing and the forks are somehow waaaaay better... & they were pretty darn good to begin with!

The bike feels lighter and more responsive. It's still very well planted, confidence inspiring and turns like a true "Zook". The most surprising thing is that it now jumps almost...well...yes, I've gotta say it: this thing FLIES TOO EASILY now! Yup, it launches a lot like the Honda and takes even greater advantage of the torque that allows you to seat bounce those jumps that're right at the exit of a turn.

It was a busy day at the track...so...I don't have many pics. But...I will...soon...
TeamGreen
5/11/2018 10:07pm
Here’s the only pic from the day. The Zook is over on the left. Jason Anderson, Michael Mosiman and Mitchell Harrison...& their Rockstar Husky peeps and family...& on-lookers are on the right.

It was a great day at Pala after 40 straight days of no riding.
TeamGreen
5/15/2018 10:34pm
Here's the bikes current configuration update...as posted in RMZ 450 thread in Moto...

Stock Motor
Yosh Ti-Carbon Sognature Series pipe
Factory Connection Suspension that is AMAZING
Currently Metzeler Mid-Hards
Guts Seat that grips like crazy
Renthal Chain & Sprockets
Rekluse Clutch Pack (soon to be a newly named product: clutch pack replacement kit)
Galfer 280nn Tsunami frt/Tsunami Rear Rotors and lines
VP Racing Fuels Leaded 110 lately/was running T4e before that
Stock Bars, Grips, Levers w/ Renthal grip donuts
Metzeler MC360 Mid-Hard tires w/Pirelli bibs (tubes suck!)
Asst'd Ti from Mettec and CDG.
CDG Carbonfiber Chain-Guide
CDG Carbonfiber Transponder bracket
Blue MotoHose Hoses that're gonna be replaced with the their New True Suzuki Blue hoses INCLUDING a New "Y" hose!

Estimate bike to be about 5 pounds lighter than stock.

Still running the stock plastic and early release graphics that came on the bike...IN AUGUST! Will be running UFO & 180 Decals graphics based on the HEP Suzuki Team look.

This bike has been amazingly dependable.
sesker15
5/16/2018 6:35am
Are you thinking about getting a Vortex or GET ignition?
TeamGreen
5/16/2018 9:10am
sesker15 wrote:
I'm gonna have Jamie Ellis at Twisted Development play with it on the dyno using the Suzuki tuner and see what we get.
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
5/16/2018 10:13am
Thanks for the info. Like i said in the other thread. I couldn't get over how easy and comfortable this bike is to ride. I pride myself in turn technique and this thing is a weapon. Always heard they turn good, well they do. I guess my style is more of a open bike style, never hard on a clutch, smooth. Coming from riding 2 strokes the last 5 years, this bike kinda had a alta feel, didn't have to worry about anything other than just riding since it does everything very well.

So far, the funniest big bore 4 stroke i have rode. So much so I'm really considering getting one.
5/16/2018 10:41am
sesker15 wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
I'm gonna have Jamie Ellis at Twisted Development play with it on the dyno using the Suzuki tuner and see what we get.
Manny what’s next for this bike? I know you said it was over due for a rebuild. Has Your opinion changed on this bike since the shootout? What’s Fabio’s son think of the bike with the suspension dialed or is he still loving the Honda just curious?
TeamGreen
5/16/2018 1:06pm
sesker15 wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
Manny what’s next for this bike? I know you said it was over due for a rebuild. Has Your opinion changed on this bike since the...
Manny what’s next for this bike? I know you said it was over due for a rebuild. Has Your opinion changed on this bike since the shootout? What’s Fabio’s son think of the bike with the suspension dialed or is he still loving the Honda just curious?
The motor still hasn't been apart and it still runs like a champ!

Time for a serious "freshening up" before Mammoth.

Pretty-boy ML hasn't had a chance to ride it in months...besides, he's more of an "office guy" these days,
Laughing
motomike894
5/16/2018 2:00pm
I have 18 hours on mine and still loving it, have had zero issues, still even have the stock freaking chain on it, although its starting to stretch more now so going to replace chain and sprockets soon.
TeamGreen
5/16/2018 6:50pm
sesker15 wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
Manny what’s next for this bike? I know you said it was over due for a rebuild. Has Your opinion changed on this bike since the...
When I'm asked if I've changed my mind since the shoot-out...you've gotta go back and read what I reported: it was an excellent, solid & EASY to get around the track type of bike. It was a bit "weird" in the rear (shock) and I'd said that it seemed to be set-up/settings in the shock that was holding it back.

Well, now...

The shock? Hard to figure out? ALL of that's been addressed AND I've got insanely PERFECT brakes & a chassis that's so happy that it makes me want to attack the bumps and not worry about flat-landing my jumps...oh, and a motor that's very happy with it's new pipe and 110 leaded fuel...

Yup. I've changed my mind form "I wonder where this bike would be with a good shock revalve?" To knowing that it's still a Zook that turns like a dirt-bike should and now it feels "lighter and easier to toss around". The shock revalve worked and Factory Connection even made the forks better, too...they're amazing.

Then there's the DEPENDABILITY issue: this thing is an "Easy Keeper". It s still on it's original body work. The chain guide is even a long-wear/vastly improved item. The wheels are great...tho, they've had really good bibs and tires on them most of their life, the motor is still snappy...etc. even the clutch has been impressive. Do I miss "the button"? No. It's a track bike. Hasn't been an issue and this thing starts EASY.
5/17/2018 7:17am
TeamGreen wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
When I'm asked if I've changed my mind since the shoot-out...you've gotta go back and read what I reported: it was an excellent, solid & EASY...
When I'm asked if I've changed my mind since the shoot-out...you've gotta go back and read what I reported: it was an excellent, solid & EASY to get around the track type of bike. It was a bit "weird" in the rear (shock) and I'd said that it seemed to be set-up/settings in the shock that was holding it back.

Well, now...

The shock? Hard to figure out? ALL of that's been addressed AND I've got insanely PERFECT brakes & a chassis that's so happy that it makes me want to attack the bumps and not worry about flat-landing my jumps...oh, and a motor that's very happy with it's new pipe and 110 leaded fuel...

Yup. I've changed my mind form "I wonder where this bike would be with a good shock revalve?" To knowing that it's still a Zook that turns like a dirt-bike should and now it feels "lighter and easier to toss around". The shock revalve worked and Factory Connection even made the forks better, too...they're amazing.

Then there's the DEPENDABILITY issue: this thing is an "Easy Keeper". It s still on it's original body work. The chain guide is even a long-wear/vastly improved item. The wheels are great...tho, they've had really good bibs and tires on them most of their life, the motor is still snappy...etc. even the clutch has been impressive. Do I miss "the button"? No. It's a track bike. Hasn't been an issue and this thing starts EASY.
Thanks Manny for the reply I appreciate it. Kind of off topic, but do you know the what the state of Suzuki is right now? Have you or anyone at Vital had a chance to talk to Chris Wheeler about the direction Suzuki is going? They Dropped out of MXGP and Japanese Nationals where they usually develop the next model. I heard Pulp’s interview with Wheeler, but they talked more about the US market and that Suzuki could have done a better job with the media outlets with bike set up, so they didn’t get rated so low. He admitted that Suzuki did a poor job setting up the bike for the shootouts. Did you feel this way that they could have done a better job? Please keep the updates coming this is a great build Manny enjoying your thread!
Ted722
6/16/2018 2:47pm
Picking up a new '18 on Wed. Going to break her in on Sat. Stoked!
TeamGreen
6/26/2018 6:03pm
Ted722 wrote:
Pic's yet?

Bye the way...

The Vital RMZ450 earned some Bears...
and...some Beers...Of-Course!
Ted722
6/26/2018 10:46pm
Ted722 wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
Pic's yet?

Bye the way...

The Vital RMZ450 earned some Bears...
and...some Beers...Of-Course!
Yeah, great weekend. Broke it in nice and easy. Got a full 1.4 hrs on it! Wink About (7) 12-15 minute sessions. Rode MMX Sand on Sat. and Dixon Sunday. Two super mellow tracks, which is what I need anyway as I get back into it.

Bike has that great Suzuki feel. I love just looking forward to ruts (especially inside) and having both wheels slot car effortlessly right through it under steady throttle. Motor is exactly perfect for me right now too.

My 12 year old had her game face on her CRF110. She’s ready for a 125F soon!

Good to be back out there!

TeamGreen
8/10/2018 10:06am Edited Date/Time 8/10/2018 10:13am
Well, this all started back in November...
Of TWO THOUSAND-SEVENTEEN!
That’s 2017! That’s TEN Months of riding, testing & adjusting.
So, this thing TRULY is the most legitimate “Longterm Test” that I’ve ever been involved with.

I chose this bike because...

During the shootout, we didn’t have the necessary people around to figure out the shock and help us get this bike as “dialed in” as all the other bikes. All the while this bike was SO EASY to get around the track and it felt great (it’s ergo’s are PERFECT). The fork was just like...is just like...the Honda’s. Btw, they’re both just a little bit of tunning away from EXCELLENCE. The motor is the ONLY one that’s gonna let you totally screw up your shifting and get away with it. It’s still a “Thumper” if ya wanna run it down low. It wants to “live in the mid-range”; but, it’ll run any way ya want...yes, it’ll make up for your mess-ups!

Honestly, same goes for the chassis. It’s unbelievably “forgiving” and it’ll allow you to “forge ahead” and plow thru a bad line when you mess up and end up in the wrong rut or he smoggy mud. The shock is different and the be fair...it’s just weird compared to the shocks we’ve had all these years. However, it works awfully darn well once you get it dialed in for you!

On this project, I enlisted the people I know from making Moto-racing bikes works for just about any type rider I’ve ever worked with: Factory Connection.
They’ve been a part of my “Summers in Canada” for 4 years and I’ve watched them pull off amazing things for Goerke, Metty and many others. So, I called on them to take a shot at this new style of shock. They NAILED IT!
(I’ll go into this more...in a bit)

Here’s a few pics to show where we’re at this summer...

The 4 pics, above, are from yesterday at Glen Helen: I wanted to point out the dark-dirt around things like the caliper-pins or the brake-pedal. Why? I always notice this occurring whenever I have a pro mechanic service the bike. In this case, Brent Myron who’s currently Kyle Chisholm’s mechanic.

I see “grease rings” around virtually EVERY bolt on his thing when he works on it. Bolts always seem to go “in-n-out” with out a problem...”like new”...& everything seems to hold it’s torque perfectly.

This bike has held up amazingly well for a bike that’s been ridden A LOT and it’s even survived some crazy off-roading (Shasta-Chappy Riding Area @ The Lake Shasta Dam).

The only “Normal Replacement Parts” have been:
Clutch (It’s been changed out ONCE w/ Rekluse’s new replacement “Clutch Packs”).
Air Filter (relaxed with DT-1 air filter/the stocker was getting worn out from too many cleanings!).
Chain and Sprockets: Renthal Twin Ring rear/Superlight front and Renthal Race Chain.
Galfer Brake Pads (I changed the rotors and lines, too; but, the stockers weren’t worn out).

In addition to all of that:
Plenty of oil changes and stock Suzuki oil-filters (usually run the filter 2-3 oil changes!)

Pirelli and Metzeler tires & bibs (Metzeler pictured)

Plastic is UFO & a stock Suzuki replacement front fender...reflective blue decals came on it. Cool!

Those are STOCK BARS, GRIPS AND LEVERS!

Guts Racing Seat and Graphics. I kinda ran with a mix of HEP/JGR & Team Suzuki Japan.

That AMAZING Yoshimura Ti/Carbon pipe...it sounds Soooooo Factory and gives that motor a lot more “snap”. It’s about 4 people pounds lighter, too!

Here’s a few pics from the “freshening up” & prepping for Mammoth:
Getting a little help form one of the best mechanics in the pro-paddock.

The picture of the bike at a track in the trees...that’s at Tahoe where I practiced “at altitude”.

Next up: the Factory Connection Suspension...
Man, they made this bike awesome.
rallendude
8/10/2018 3:04pm
Getting a little ahead of yourself aren't you? 10/10/18 ain't even happened yet.

Very good long term feedback on the bike. I still think this has to be the best SX bike on the track.
TeamGreen
8/10/2018 3:09pm
rallendude wrote:
Getting a little ahead of yourself aren't you? 10/10/18 ain't even happened yet. Very good long term feedback on the bike. I still think this has...
Getting a little ahead of yourself aren't you? 10/10/18 ain't even happened yet.

Very good long term feedback on the bike. I still think this has to be the best SX bike on the track.
Doh!

Meant 8/10!

Post a reply to: The Vital MX '18 RMZ450 (2018 Day In The Dirt Race Report and LONG TERM WEAR status)

The Latest