Swinkster Replica build - the back story....

faastfixx
Edited Date/Time 5/13/2020 6:36pm
After much deliberation, I am considering selling this amazing bike. I just need the space for new projects. Original story is listed below with more pictures just attached. Check them out, enjoy them, if you would like to chat about the bike, please feel free to reach out directly to me.

Stay safe all!

Back around March of 2018, I started the search for a 1992 RM 125 to rebuild as a retro "Super-Evo" race bike.

Pretty quickly, I found a pretty nice and complete runner up north of Los Angeles. A bit of a back story, to preempt this thread. My first full size motocrosser was a 1992 RM 125. My dad and I bought one a few years old and very beat up in 1995. I was 14 years old. After outgrowing my 1990 RM 80, I was very anxious to get this bike. Unfortunately, the bike had been owned by a local pro and was very beat up when we bought it. long story short, my dad and I tore the bike down to the frame and rebuilt from the frame up. It had always been a goal of mine to someday do the same thing, again.

After seeing the #42 on the bike (Swink's first year on the Peak team he was #42) when I arrived, I knew this was just meant to be. Brian had just passed two weeks prior to my purchasing of the bike and it seemed as if this was just meant to be a tribute bike to his racing career and his legacy.

Brian is part in reason I ended up pursuing a career in the motorsports industry. After coming to grips I didn;t have what it took to make it as a professional racer, I chose the path of working in the industry. Nearly 25 years later, I feel a debit of gratitude was owed to the Swinkster. Growing up less thank an hour from Red Bud, I used to watch Swink in his final years as an amateur in pure awe. Nobody in that era rode an 80 with as much ferocity as he did. His super-human-like capabilities as an amateur followed him well into his career as a pro. Often being noted as the guy that Bayle, Stanton and Cooper and all other top pros would wait to see what Swink jumped in practice to see what was "do-able" at race time was well established before his professional days....

I could drone on for days about what brought me here, and I promise I will someday soon write an in-depth blog post about. For now, here are some pics on the build...

Aim is to have it on the Heores and Legends tour for SX in 2019. With a little but of luck and prayers to finding the final pieces (Hopefully form my Vital MX family) It will be at Anaheim II.

Cheers and thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

I am looking for a LH NOS Radiator or one in good shape (P/N - 17720-43D01)
Renthal and DID Decals for the swingarm from the era (Harder to find than I ever imagined...)
Answer Racing & CTi2 Decal for the rear fender (Again Hard to find apparently)

Many thanks and stay tuned!

|
faastfixx
12/30/2018 8:28pm

Bike when I bought it

Swink's frame

Wheels redone with original Excel hoops
faastfixx
12/30/2018 8:50pm
faastfixx wrote:
DID and Renthal decals needed [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/12/30/314387/s1200_Screen_Shot_2018_08_25_at_9.25.33_AM.jpg[/img]
DID and Renthal decals needed

Lasse
Fantasy
2963rd
12/31/2018 5:20am
It looks like the front rim is pretty dented from that picture. Maybe just an optical illusion?

The Shop

faastfixx
12/31/2018 7:30am
Lasse wrote:
It looks like the front rim is pretty dented from that picture. Maybe just an optical illusion?
Some small imperfections, but not bad considering they are original from the era and from the factory Suzuki team leftover stock.

New Excel rim color is nowhere even close to the what they used back then. Extremely hard to find as well.
AJ565
12/31/2018 2:10pm
I hate to be that guy, but your sprocket bolts aren't torqued lol
faastfixx
12/31/2018 6:59pm
No shortage of prefaces that start with, “ I hate to be that guy...”

Thanks for looking, the bolts will be properly torqued with actual bolts when I put the bike together.

Cheers,
sandman768
1/5/2019 10:35am
Nope...just took a closer look...not the same....sorry....I spent about 45 mins going through my box of stickers! Thought I had it but it is different....have you tried contacting Renthal?
faastfixx
1/29/2019 9:58pm
Thanks for taking the time to look! I did contact Renthal. All of their artwork and surplus NOS inventory burned in their fire in 2000. Still hunting down the original DID Decals, but these fairly accurate reproductions will do for now!

I did actually find some though!

sandman768
1/30/2019 6:13am
I have a box of old sponsor decals I have had for years....I forgot about them until my last move. Bike looks great...how did you go about having your bike displayed? Contact legends & hero”s? I would have wrapped that chain around my wheel!
faastfixx
1/30/2019 6:46pm
Yep, reached out to Alex from Legends and Heroes directly. He loves to see new stuff roll through. Give him a shout through his email on their site and let me know if you need any help connecting.

Thanks for the positive comments on the bike. I was a bit of a nervous wreck leaving it there, but once I saw he cordoned it off from the general population, It eased my mind a bit.

Cheers,
Jeff
hdogg21
Fantasy
1509th
2/6/2019 12:23pm
Nice bike, cool story!

So is that an actual Swink bike or ?
HackMan162
2/6/2019 5:05pm
Did you get the Answer and Cti2 decals you needed? I probably have both of them if you let me know exactly what you need.
faastfixx
2/20/2019 9:34pm
HackMan162 wrote:
Did you get the Answer and Cti2 decals you needed? I probably have both of them if you let me know exactly what you need.
I never did get them. I just need two decals from the era that would fit on the rear fender. Problem is, I have not seen a good photo of the rear fender posted anywhere, so I am going based off of what his mechanic (Marshall Plumb) recalls being on the fender. Think early nineties and I'm sure you'll find it! Thanks for looking!
faastfixx
2/20/2019 9:39pm
hdogg21 wrote:
Nice bike, cool story!

Its as much his bike as I could get my hands on. With the help of fellow teammates & mechanics from the team at the time, there were some integral parts with his name still on them.

Frame is a factory frame that was his, clamps had his name on them. Motor was given the "factory treatment" from Dean Dickinson at R&D (Who was more factory than the actual factory at the time). Still hunting for more Swink artifacts like suspension, but the bike is done for now and was an asskicker of a project. Titanium Axles from the factory team of the ear tied the project together quite nicely.

Cheers,
Jeff
faastfixx
2/20/2019 10:06pm Edited Date/Time 2/20/2019 10:26pm
Swink's Clamp

Swinks Frame

faastfixx
2/20/2019 10:33pm

I was able to find a NOS K490 and K695 for the project thanks to a few Vital MX friends.(Pay your strongest friends well to help install these if you come across them.) Tires that are 20+ years old are a pain to mount.

Colin at Faster USA was able to work his lacing magic and get the wheels nice and true. The Excel hoops were incredibly difficult to find from that era. The color is more "champagne" in color than the newer "Gold" or "RM Yellow". I'm looking for another set if anyone has them and is looking to sell them!

Polished hubs

Engine covers fresh out of paint

hdogg21
Fantasy
1509th
2/21/2019 5:17am
hdogg21 wrote:
Nice bike, cool story!

faastfixx wrote:
Its as much his bike as I could get my hands on. With the help of fellow teammates & mechanics from the team at the time...
Its as much his bike as I could get my hands on. With the help of fellow teammates & mechanics from the team at the time, there were some integral parts with his name still on them.

Frame is a factory frame that was his, clamps had his name on them. Motor was given the "factory treatment" from Dean Dickinson at R&D (Who was more factory than the actual factory at the time). Still hunting for more Swink artifacts like suspension, but the bike is done for now and was an asskicker of a project. Titanium Axles from the factory team of the ear tied the project together quite nicely.

Cheers,
Jeff
That's awesome...Very Cool! The bike looks great Jeff, nice work!
sandman768
2/21/2019 5:52am
Awesome...you got some connections .....

Post a reply to: Swinkster Replica build - the back story....

The Latest